..how 'bout Petty or Hackenberg ? ? ?

kelly

-- Seven months after drafting Christian Hackenberg, the New York Jets still don't know what to make of him. They think he might be a good quarterback some day, but they're not sure. He's a mystery.

"I don't like that word," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said Thursday. "I think he's a developmental player at this point. There's a lot of talent there. The sky's the limit. We don't know yet."

And they won't know by the end of the season.

The Jets have no plans to play Hackenberg over the final five games. If they replace Ryan Fitzpatrick at some point, they'll go to Bryce Petty, the first man up on the audition card. Coach Todd Bowles said at the start of the season this would be a redshirt year for Hackenberg, and they apparently will follow through on that.As you probably noticed, the current regime believes in patience when developing quarterbacks. Petty sat for a year ... and is still sitting, waiting for his shot.

"It almost takes a season for you to find out exactly who a guy is and what he is, and where he needs to go, especially when a guy is not playing in games," Gailey said. "It takes you that long to work with them and evaluate them."The offseason will be crucial for Hackenberg, who will spend a lot of time working on his mechanics. The problem is, under the restrictive collective bargaining agreement, he won't be allowed to work with the coaches until April. Right now, he takes scout-team reps in practice, running the opposing team's plays and often throwing to predetermined targets.

"It's hard to evaluate guys on the practice squad," wide receiver Brandon Marshall said, but noting that Hackenberg's "leadership skill is off the charts."

Technically, Hackenberg isn't on the practice squad, but close. He's the 53rd man on the 53-man roster, trying to absorb as much as he can in the background.

"He’s learning every day about when to throw the ball, how to throw the ball," Gailey said. "Up here it’s different than it is in college. He’s learning a great deal. It’s hard to say specifically, but he’s gotten better. To me, he’s gotten better every week. He understands the game better. He understands the defenses better. He understands protections better. That’s all a part of the growth process."

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65256/rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-remains-mystery-man-to-jets-coaches

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- It doesn't look like Jets' coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey see eye-to-eye on the best way to develop backup quarterback Bryce Petty.Ask Bowles, as he said via conference call Monday, and he'll tell you practice is just about all you need to get an accurate assessment of a player's ability. But Gailey? Well, Gailey believes players need repetitions.

Game repetitions, that is.

"[Petty] needs all of the work he can get," Gailey said Thursday. "Just like every young player needs all of the work they can get. It helps to play in games."

The Ryan Fitzpatrick - Bryce Petty quarterback topic has been the source of bar arguments the better part of a month. Fitzpatrick -- the NFL's worst statistical passer -- may give the Jets the best chance to win this year, but at 3-8, many want the Jets to turn their attention to the future.And unlike Fitzpatrick, Petty will be back with the Jets in 2017, competing to be the starter.

The issue? No one quite knows what kind of a quarterback Petty is.

If the Jets started him these final five games, it would give the team a month of film to evaluate. That's more than enough to get a reliable assessment of Petty's ability to be, or not be, a starting NFL quarterback.

Best case? Petty cements himself. Worst case? The Jets realize they need to sign a veteran in free agency. It's a win-win situation either way. Fact will replace uncertainty.And while Bowles said you "don't have to play a person to see what they have," Gailey said it certainly helps.

"It's like being able to evaluate somebody with 75 to 80 percent probability," Gailey said, "Or being able to evaluate somebody with 90 to 95 percent probability."The probability in games, you've got a lot better idea of what's going to happen. In practice, you only have about a 75 percent probability of how they're going to be, how they're to play, and how they're going to progress."

Drafted in the fourth round a year ago, Petty has been the Jets' developmental project. He (essentially) redshirted as a rookie, played well in the preseason this year, and started one game for an injured Fitzpatrick two weeks ago.He completed 19 of 32 passes for 163 yards with a touchdown and an interception in a 9-6 loss to the Rams. There were plays he looked good. And plays he looked bad.

Early assessment? Petty's a young quarterback who needs more time to make mistakes, learn from said mistakes, mature and grow.

"We learned some things that we felt were his strong suits, and some things that we felt like he needed to work on," Gailey said. "Every time someone plays, you evaluate them. You learn something about them. You can go from there to try to help them get better."The question now is when, or rather if, Petty will see the field again. Bowles seems dead set on fielding the best team possible, future be damned.

Which means there's a very real chance Fitzpatrick finishes out this season as the Jets' starter.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/chan_gailey_on_jets_bryce_petty_he_needs_to_play_i.html#incart_river_index

A rookie season always is a learning experience for any player in any sport. Factor in the fact Christian Hackenberg’s only playing time came in preseason and that his reps have been with the scout team, and the Jets quarterback has been in watch-and-learn mode virtually every minute of every day.Ryan Fitzpatrick remains the starting quarterback for the 3-8 Jets, who face the Colts on Monday at MetLife Stadium. Geno Smith began the season as the No. 2, but tore his ACL. So last year’s quarterback draft pick, Bryce Petty, moved into the backup spot.

At least Hackenberg has a full cast to learn from.

“I just tried to take in as much as I possibly could, from sitting in the film room with a guy like Fitz to just learning from the vets how to act in the locker room, to how to carry yourself, how to be a pro,” Hackenberg said Friday after practice. “This year has given me the ability to really acclimate myself. Just learn as much as I can.”There has been a lot to learn and there still is. Earlier this week, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, while acknowledging the difficulty of assessing what the Jets have in Hackenberg, admitted “the sky’s the limit” for the former Penn State quarterback.

“There’s a lot to learn. It’s tough to point out one thing. For anyone coming into the league, there’s going to be an adjustment,” Hackenberg said. “Just being able to take each one and learn from it and continue to grow is what the challenge is and I feel like I’ve been able to do a decent job at that.”But wouldn’t the challenge be a little easier while actually playing? In college, Hackenberg was a starter as a freshman. It has been a while since “inactive” was a weekly companion.

“There’s two ways to look at it,” Hackenberg said. “You can feel sorry for yourself or you can take the positives out of it and get better and continue to grow. That’s kind of the way I’ve tried to lean towards. I’m just going to do everything that I can to become a better player, better teammate every day and when my opportunity comes, whenever that is, just be prepared for it.”

The waiting can grow on you and make it difficult. Take it from Petty, who is familiar with rookie angst.

“I see a lot of myself in him” Petty said. “As a quarterback, there’s only one of us out there. We’re not DBs, not receivers where you rotate or even get on special teams. So, personally, the hardest thing is you just don’t feel like you contribute.“If you win, you want to be part of the win and if you lose, you wish you could have done something to help. That’s the tough part. There’s only one of us out there and you’ve got to be supportive and as mentally in the game as possible. That’s part of it too because you only see so much from the sidelines.”

The 6-foot-4, 21-year-old Hackenberg was the Jets’ second-round pick. He last played in the final game of preseason and looked exactly like what he was, a young guy with a big arm who has a lot to learn and a long way to go. Hackenberg hopes he has lessened that distance somewhat with all the watching and listening and learning, but no one ever would substitute game experience for all the other stuff, regardless of how valuable.

“The older you get and the more experiences you have, you learn things and you can look back and reflect,” Hackenberg said.

“You can’t ever settle so just being able to continue to grow in every area is the ultimate goal. Continue to get better at the things you’re good at, continue to get better at the things you’re not so good at. That’s the whole point so just I’m trying to improve in every area every day and learn as much as I can.”

>      http://nypost.com/2016/12/03/jets-qb-christian-hackenberg-fine-watching-learning-for-now/

Bryce Petty isn't going to make any promises even though he'd love to tell you that there's no better man for the job than him.

He isn't going to assuage your fears that the Jets’ never-ending search for a franchise quarterback will never end.

He isn't going to pretend that he can see the future, because he knows damn well that the future, his future, might not be with the team that drafted him two years ago.

Petty wants badly to be the Jets’ franchise quarterback, the leader to take them to a place they haven't been since man fist walked on the moon, but his crystal ball is blurred.

"You know what? I don't know," Petty told the Daily News in a quiet moment about being the future leader of this star-crossed franchise. "I can only control so much. I hope so. I really do. I love it here. I love this team. I love Coach. Shoot, it'd blow my skirt up if that was the case… I'm going to work to make that happen. You got to go out and get it."

Petty will watch Monday night's game against the Colts from the sideline. Todd Bowles' curious decision to bench the second-year quarterback after his first career start against the Rams in Week 10 for veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick has led some to wonder whether the brain trust already has made up its mind about the young signal caller. Maybe, they figure, the kid just doesn't have the goods.

Bowles & Co., after all, are privy to mountains of more evidence than the rest of us. They have lived the Bryce Petty Experience for a year-and-a-half. Surely, Bowles would have handed over the reins to Petty by now if he looked ready in practice.

"I take my bumps, I take my bruises, but I do good things too," Petty said about his practices. "The good thing about what coach does is A) he's not going to put anybody in position to fail and 2) he's a really good evaluator of talent and knowing when you're ready. I don't know if it's as much as I've had bad practices, but maybe I'm not ready yet in his eyes."

"It's Coach's decision regardless if you're stinking it up or if you're playing well," Petty added. "I don't question that part of it like, 'Man, am I not showing enough?' Because I feel like I am. I've shown a lot of growth. I'm getting better every day. So those are things that I need to pull from and not worry about that doubt or fear that I'm not doing this or that."

There's no denying that Petty has made important strides since being plucked from Baylor's spread system. His rookie season was an invaluable learning experience even if he suffered at times from information overload.

"I think I was learning so much that not a whole lot of information sunk in," Petty said. "I was just playing slow."

He's picked up the pace in the past year, but the pivotal question remains: Is he learning fast enough for the Jets to justify investing time in him beyond this season?

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's recent admission that "every young player needs all of the work they can get" and "it helps to play in games" makes plenty of sense, so why aren't the Jets giving Petty that chance right now given that this 3-8 team is out of playoff contention?

Gailey believes that practices give coaches a "75-80 percent probability" of knowing what a player will become. Games bump it up to "90-95 percent," according to the offensive play caller, so why not eliminate as much doubt about Petty's prospects by giving him a chance to showcase his ability in that setting?

Although Petty admitted that he hasn't mastered Gailey's playbook, he's confident that he's trending up.

"I feel like every time I get in there, I get better," Petty said. "I just need at-bats."

When he'll step up to the plate again is anyone's guess. While rookies Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Dak Prescott get invaluable snaps with their respective teams, Petty continues to wait with no real commitment from the Jets.

"Everybody has a different route," Petty said. "Fortunately for me, I got to learn a lot last year. Because I can honestly tell you that I don't know if I was ready had I been called on last year. I feel so much more comfortable this year. Now I'm just hungry for more."

He speaks with a maturity of a 10-year veteran. His respect for Fitzpatrick, who has been a friend, mentor and teammate, is evident. He has tried to help rookie Christian Hackenberg, too. He's fueled by competitiveness rather than anchored by bitterness.

"Every day you come in here you got something to prove," Petty said. "Because they're looking for the next (quarterback). There's no time to settle. There's no time to get complacent, because they're just going to keep rolling them in and out. So you take it personal on a competitiveness level … not on a I-can't-stand him-and-I-don't-even-know-him level. That's not fair."

Petty beats everyone to the team facility at 6 each morning (even though he'll never volunteer that information).

He wants it work. He wants it to work here.

But is there enough time? He felt like he was on the roster bubble in the preseason. Will these final five weeks of the regular season be the final five weeks of his Jets career?

What's a large enough sample size for a young quarterback trying to prove his worth? Two games? Three? Four? More?

"Who knows? I don't know if there's a number on it," Petty said. "It's practice. It's who you are every day in here. It's the culmination of a lot of things. We'll see… I'm going to work to do everything I can to make it a point to be here for as long as they let me."

The Jets need to give him a fair chance in real games to show if he belongs.

>       http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-give-bryce-petty-real-shot-prove-belongs-article-1.2898583

Jets make a clumsy QB exchange, but it's the right move ... finally

-- Right decision. Curious timing.

Coach Todd Bowles made the correct call Monday night by handing the New York Jets' lost season to neophyte quarterback Bryce Petty, who will start the final four games. Bowles should've done it a couple of weeks ago -- let's call it a delay-of-name penalty -- but at least this gives them a month to take a look at Petty, who will get a chance to convince team brass he can be their starter in 2017.

That Bowles chose to make the announcement after his most lopsided loss in two years raised a few eyebrows. This is a deliberate coach who usually takes his time with quarterback decisions, but there he was at the podium, blurting out the headline to a stunned group of reporters.It happened so fast after the 41-10 loss to the Indianapolis Colts that the two quarterbacks -- Petty and the demoted Ryan Fitzpatrick -- found out only moments before their separate postgame news conferences. Fitzpatrick appeared caught off-guard by the questions, leaving some to wonder if he was blindsided with the news by reporters. If that's how it went down, it was an amateurish way for the team to treat a respected veteran.

Back in the locker room, the players had no idea about the quarterback change. This wasn't exactly the smoothest transition of power, but what would you expect from the Jets on a night in which they did everything wrong?It makes you wonder if Bowles, whose job security has become an issue, tossed it out there to calm the vultures. For weeks, the fans and media had been clamoring for Petty. Now they have their man. Maybe this was Bowles' attempt -- or the team's attempt -- to change the narrative after a humiliating loss in prime time. He insisted the decision had been made before the game, but he still could have waited until Tuesday to announce it.

"We could have won 45-0 and he was going to start the last four games," Bowles said. "That's the slot we had penciled in for him. That's a good time to take a look at him."

A 3-9 coach with a four-game losing streak usually doesn't go to a newbie quarterback unless he feels confident about his job security. Does Petty give Bowles a built-in alibi? Maybe, maybe not. If they finish 3-13 -- an eight-game losing streak -- it'll look real bad, especially if they're non-competitive.Their remaining opponents are the San Francisco 49ers (1-11), Miami Dolphins(7-5), New England Patriots (10-2) and the Buffalo Bills (6-6). The Jets should be able to steal a couple of games, even with Petty, who has one career start.

Looking at the big picture, this was the best move for the organization. Fitzpatrick had a nice run last season but couldn't sustain it with a one-year, $12 million contract. He's a lame-duck quarterback, knowing he'll be elsewhere next season. He handled it well, acknowledging, "I didn't get it done."No, he didn't. On Monday night, Fitzpatrick completed only five of 12 passes for 81 yards with an interception in a dreadful first half. He got benched at halftime, deservedly so. Bowles explained the decision by saying it was a prequel to "Project Petty."

"The plan was for him to start the last four games anyway, so we just started a half early," the coach said.

Basically, Bowles raised the white flag on the night the Jets were officially eliminated from the playoffs. The challenge is to keep his players motivated, because efforts like Monday night's are unacceptable. Maybe Petty, with a full week of practice as the starter, can provide a spark. This team needs it, badly.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65391/jets-make-a-clumsy-qb-exchange-but-its-the-right-move-finally

-- Hoping to see Christian Hackenberg at quarterback before the season ends? Two words of advice: Chill out.

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles confirmed Tuesday he has no plans to play the rookie in the final four games. Bryce Petty will start (you knew that already) and Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the No. 2 for at least a couple of weeks, according to Bowles.Bowles left open the possibility of elevating Hackenberg to the No. 2 role for the final two games, depending on how he performs in practice, but he was clear that the remainder of this crazy bad season will be devoted to "Project Petty."

That means no snaps for Hackenberg.

"Not unless Bryce gets hurt," Bowles said. "Right now, I do not see him getting any playing time."

The Jets have been consistent since the start of the season, saying this is a redshirt year for Hackenberg. At the same time, it's fair to wonder, "Why?" Other rookie quarterbacks have played this season, and we're not just talking about the obvious example, Dak Prescott. Jacoby Brissett went 1-1 in two starts for the New England Patriots and Cody Kessler posted a 92.6 passer rating in eight starts for the Cleveland Browns. They were drafted in the third round.

Hackenberg was a second-round pick. If I'm owner Woody Johnson, I'm asking my football people, "Why can't we get our guy on the field?"

"He hasn't taken the reps and the other guy has taken all the reps," Bowles said. "To throw him in there right now would be a disservice to the kid."

Why isn't Hackenberg getting reps? Well, this goes back to the four-quarterback issue in training camp. The Jets decided to keep four (let's not forget about Geno Smith), knowing there wouldn't be enough reps for the third and fourth guys. Petty moved up when Smith was injured, leaving Hackenberg as the odd man out. He hasn't had the chance to develop. This is what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65425/want-to-see-christian-hackenberg-sorry-wait-til-next-year-jets-fans

-- Bryce Petty thought he knew Ryan Fitzpatrick after spending last season at his side, watching, listening and learning. They also hung out for a couple of days in the offseason at Fitzpatrick's Arizona home, playing golf, shooting hoops and studying X's and O's.

Then, at the start of training camp, Petty happened to be present when Fitzpatrick met Christian Hackenberg for the first time. The veteran quarterback greeted the rookie QB with a hug, making an impression on Petty."He didn't even know him," Petty said months later, incredulously. "It's things like that, you can tell relationships are important to him. That's how he was brought up in the league. It's kind of like a pay-it-forward deal."

Fitzpatrick has mentored Petty for 20 months, the way veterans such as Marc Bulger and Carson Palmer helped Fitzpatrick along years ago as a young quarterback. The dynamics of the Fitzpatrick-Petty relationship changed this week, as they reversed roles. Fitzpatrick wasn't happy about the demotion, but he's thrilled for Petty, who will start for the New York Jets on the road Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers.

"There can't be any ego involved," Fitzpatrick said Wednesday. "I want to see him do well. He's put in a tremendous amount of work and I'm excited for him and his opportunity."They have what Petty described as a little brother-big brother relationship. Petty is 25, Fitzpatrick 34. The season hasn't gone well for Fitzpatrick, who has been benched twice, but he has remained a willing teacher for Petty and Hackenberg -- 12 hours a day, every day.

For instance :  While watching tape of the opposing defense, Fitzpatrick will hit pause and ask Petty to predict what will happen on the play.

"I'll say it and he'll say it, and he'll be right," Petty said, smiling.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65441/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-pays-it-forward-to-bryce-petty-who-gets-dream-shot

A few revealing trends emerge from Bryce Petty's first audition as Jets QB

play

0:09
/
0:35

dm_161213_NFL_Harbaugh_on_Konrad_Reuland0:14

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty's evaluation is far from complete, but he provided a few clues Sunday as to the type of quarterback he can be. One early thought:

He's better on the move.

Whether throwing outside the pocket, trying to avoid pressure within it or just scrambling for yards, Petty seems more effective when his legs are moving. That's what the next-level statistics tell us. That's what the film tells us. That's what Todd Bowles tells us.

"Some things he could've done better, but as the game went on, he got a little more comfortable and started using his legs better," the New York Jets coach said.Let's take an inside look at Petty's performance in the 23-17 overtime win over the San Francisco 49ers, with help from ESPN Stats & Information.

He didn't throw from outside the pocket that often, but he was successful when he did -- 4-for-4, 46 yards, including the 26-yarder to Robby Anderson that set up the winning touchdown in overtime. Inside the pocket, he struggled -- 19-for-31, 211 yards, with an interception and six sacks.

I'm no offensive coordinator, but it seems to me that Chan Gailey might want to call some rollouts, giving Petty a chance to throw on the run.Looking at other aspects of his performance, Petty's ability to handle pressure was a good news-bad news situation. Things went well when he actually threw the ball under duress (7-for-8, 89 yards), but too often he held it too long, resulting in those six sacks.

He was more efficient when facing base coverages (four defensive backs), as opposed to nickel coverages (five defensive backs), which isn't unusual for inexperienced quarterbacks. He was 5-for-6, 56 yards against four DBs (a 105.6 passer rating), compared with 10-for-19, 71 yards, one interception and three sacks against nickel (39.6 rating). Memo to Gailey: Make the defense play less nickel by using base personnel more often.

As expected, Petty spent most of the game in shotgun (17-for-25, 189 yards, one interception, six sacks). He played most of his Baylor career exclusively in the shotgun, so there's a comfort level. Under center, he was 5-for-9, 58 yards.

Petty improved as the game progressed. The reason, according to Bowles, is because he tried to maximize his skill set."He got more relaxed and his competitive nature started to come out," Bowles said. "He forgot he was a first-year quarterback and he started playing more to himself, so that was encouraging."

Bowles tempered his praise of Petty, knowing the second-year quarterback still has a long way to go. He listed areas where he'd like to see improvement over the final three games : Better command of the offense. Better command on the clock. Better game management. Improved reads. And so on.

Bowles wants to see Petty "get comfortable in the offense and allow himself to play more for who he is as opposed to just being in the system and allow some of his moxie to come out and some of the things he can do well, like moving in the pocket and getting his legs moving and involved."

Food for thought as we continue to assess Project Petty during the final three games.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65598/a-few-revealing-trends-emerge-from-bryce-pettys-first-audition-as-jets-qb

On 12/7/2016 at 9:36 AM, kelly said:

-- Hoping to see Christian Hackenberg at quarterback before the season ends? Two words of advice: Chill out.

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles confirmed Tuesday he has no plans to play the rookie in the final four games. Bryce Petty will start (you knew that already) and Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the No. 2 for at least a couple of weeks, according to Bowles.Bowles left open the possibility of elevating Hackenberg to the No. 2 role for the final two games, depending on how he performs in practice, but he was clear that the remainder of this crazy bad season will be devoted to "Project Petty."

That means no snaps for Hackenberg.

"Not unless Bryce gets hurt," Bowles said. "Right now, I do not see him getting any playing time."

The Jets have been consistent since the start of the season, saying this is a redshirt year for Hackenberg. At the same time, it's fair to wonder, "Why?" Other rookie quarterbacks have played this season, and we're not just talking about the obvious example, Dak Prescott. Jacoby Brissett went 1-1 in two starts for the New England Cheaters and Cody Kessler posted a 92.6 passer rating in eight starts for the Cleveland Browns. They were drafted in the third round.

Hackenberg was a second-round pick. If I'm owner Woody Johnson, I'm asking my football people, "Why can't we get our guy on the field?"

"He hasn't taken the reps and the other guy has taken all the reps," Bowles said. "To throw him in there right now would be a disservice to the kid."

Why isn't Hackenberg getting reps? Well, this goes back to the four-quarterback issue in training camp. The Jets decided to keep four (let's not forget about Geno Smith), knowing there wouldn't be enough reps for the third and fourth guys. Petty moved up when Smith was injured, leaving Hackenberg as the odd man out. He hasn't had the chance to develop. This is what you call a self-fulfilling prophecy.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65425/want-to-see-christian-hackenberg-sorry-wait-til-next-year-jets-fans

BECAUSE HE IS NOT READY. He won't be ready next year either. Trust me.  

Gunslinger Bryce Petty sometimes has Jets' coaches muttering, 'No, no, no'

play

0:05
/
0:50

ss_20161211_205145563_685440_3.jpg0:26

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bryce Petty isn't a fan of the G-word.

"I don’t like to use the word 'gamble,'" the New York Jets quarterback said Wednesday.So how should we categorize his cross-body pass to Robby Anderson in overtime, a decision that violated just about every rule in the quarterbacking handbook? If it wasn't a gamble, it certainly was... um...

A big risk.

A high-stakes bet.

"No, no, no," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said to himself in the coaches' box as he watched Petty, flushed to his left, heave the ball into the middle of the field.The day had a happily-ever-after ending because Anderson made the catch in traffic for 26 yards and the Jets completed a 14-point comeback to beat the San Francisco 49ers, 23-17. Petty gave his coaches agita on that play -- and on a few others -- but that's who he is.

>Petty has a gunslinger mentality, just like his idol, Brett Favre. It's a dangerous way for a quarterback to make a living, but it's part of Petty's DNA. The Jets' goal is to harness that aggressive mentality while getting him to make better decisions.

That won't be easy.

"That’s always a fine line," Gailey said. "Do you take away a guy’s natural feel for the game and the playmaking ability that a guy has? You don’t want to take that away ... by making him too conservative, either.

Petty received mixed reviews for his first start as the Jets' No. 1 quarterback. The coaches liked his toughness and resilience -- "moxie," Todd Bowles called it -- but they didn't give him high marks for reading coverages, seeing the field and delivering the ball on time. He was sacked six times, once every seven drop-backs. One player said Petty pales in comparison to Ryan Fitzpatrick when it comes to making adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

That's to be expected. Fitzpatrick has started 115 games, Petty just two. Nevertheless, the Jets (4-9) will be looking for progress Saturday night when they face the Miami Dolphins (8-5) at MetLife Stadium."I like his mindset," Bowles said. "He’s still got to play smart, but I like his mindset."

Petty experienced a case of the early-game yips against the 49ers, resulting in an interception and a poor first half. He admitted he was nervous, which most players wouldn't do. Give him credit for candor; now he just has to figure out a way to settle down."I like the jitters," he said. "There's a positive to that because I’m passionate about the game. I’m excited about that. I just have to be able to work through those."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65659/gunslinger-bryce-petty-sometimes-has-jets-coaches-muttering-no-no-no

Gailey Says Petty Is Digesting Defenses Better

Posted 19 hours ago

•  
  •  

Defensive Coordinator Talks Replacing Gilchrist, ST Coordinator Happy with N. Marshall

Adjusting to the NFL
It’s no secret Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif has a lot to learn as a starting quarterback in the NFL. With that being said, the second-year QB has shown flashes in his first two career starts. Entering Sunday’s game in Santa Clara, curiosity surrounded Petty’s ability to read coverage considering it’s still a rather new skill for him. The Baylor product completed 66% of his passes against the 49ers, throwing for 275 yards, no touchdowns and one interception. 

“I think it’s more a lack of experience,” offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. “I don’t think they were confusing him with what they were doing because he could talk about it when he came off to the sideline. That’s big.”

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Gailey-Says-Petty-Is-Digesting-Defenses-Better-/85bc2190-be81-4d32-81d6-f014663f35c5

Archived