Isaiah Davis FB?

7 minutes ago, Vader said:

he's not a fullback. he's def a HB and has some of the best feet and vision of all our backs.

It's come to my attention that you may have recently awoken from coma. First off, I'm happy you've awoken and are doing better. Some news for you, the year is 2024 and we drafted Breece Hall in 2022.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's come to my attention that you may have recently awoken from coma. First off, I'm happy you've awoken and are doing better. Some news for you, the year is 2024 and we drafted Breece Hall in 2022.

has better feet and vision than all of them besides Breece Hall. watch the tape. he has a knack for seams in tight spaces. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's only 218 lbs. He's our RB! 

Allen on the other hand is 235lbs. Could have been heavier during the season. He seems to fit in the Payton Hillis (240lbs) or Mike Tolbert mold.

So he’ll be good for one year then suck?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Allen on the other hand is 235lbs. Could have been heavier during the season. He seems to fit in the Payton Hillis (240lbs) or Mike Tolbert mold.

Yes, this was my thought when they took the second RB. Allen is also solid in pass protection, and was one of the youngest players in the entire draft so he probably has room to grow. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have a lot of college receptions, and his rushing average is greater than his receiving average. I was happy with the thought of him as a thumper to spell Breece, but moving him to FB is intriguing. 

• Upvote 1

Of all the picks this is the real head scratcher.  The first 3 picks are fine, even if some will complain that Fashanu may not start out at LT, but then again he could find himself starting week 3 there.  The Corley and allen should play immediately.  Travis and the cb are projects.  But that 2nd rb could have been another position.  Have to wonder if a coach really wanted him or if he’s a ST ace or something.  Should they have taken a guy like Malik Washington?  Should they have stuck with those 4th rounders and just picked?  All valid questions. If they didn’t trade around they would not have wound up with an extra 3rd next year. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

The two RB thing is pretty wild and I went into my highlights on file to see what I had on him.  Forgot about this play that I loved where they have him as a lead blocker on a QB keeper.

Just trying to make sense of an otherwise nonsensical pick.

I wonder how much of these 2 RB picks are sort of a reaction to Izzy not being able to block.  Sort of like JD saying "I'm not going to make that mistake again".

I loved the Izzy pick last year, btw.  Shows how much I know.  lol

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

The two RB thing is pretty wild and I went into my highlights on file to see what I had on him.  Forgot about this play that I loved where they have him as a lead blocker on a QB keeper.

Gotta love how the QB is faster than him and runs up his back lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Of all the picks this is the real head scratcher.  The first 3 picks are fine, even if some will complain that Fashanu may not start out at LT, but then again he could find himself starting week 3 there.  The Corley and allen should play immediately.  Travis and the cb are projects.  But that 2nd rb could have been another position.  Have to wonder if a coach really wanted him or if he’s a ST ace or something.  Should they have taken a guy like Malik Washington?  Should they have stuck with those 4th rounders and just picked?  All valid questions. If they didn’t trade around they would not have wound up with an extra 3rd next year. 

IMO it was a good move. Last year’s Jets were the worst short yardage team I have ever seen. It was debilitating to the offensive game plan week after week. JD and Saleh were aware of it, and knew they’d do something in the offseason.  They switched things up on the OL installing a power blocking scheme, acquiring Smith Moses and Simpson, drafting Olu, and now adding two big bruisers.

Not a head scratcher at all. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I've finally gotten around to watching some Isaiah Davis film. I can see why the Jets liked him, and why someone would have banged the table for him.

Powerful guy, runs very hard, nimble feet, shows patience and good vision, wicked stiff arm, solid ability as a receiver. It might just be the number, but he reminds me a little of Emmitt Smith - which is obviously very high praise.

Picking two RBs was very unexpected, and maybe not the most efficient use of resources, but I am quite excited about this guy.

• Upvote 3

On 4/28/2024 at 7:57 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wonder how much of these 2 RB picks are sort of a reaction to Izzy not being able to block.  Sort of like JD saying "I'm not going to make that mistake again".

I loved the Izzy pick last year, btw.  Shows how much I know.  lol

Pass protection is always the determining factor for getting on the field for young RBs.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The disparity in overall prospect value between RB and every other position is huge.

Imagine this on a A-F scale of prospect quality… in the 5-7th round you are at best getting a C grade player at best for most every position, but at RB you can still get the B grade players, sometimes an A. Not a perfect explanation, but hopefully that makes sense of it.

It shows me that someone understands the economics of positional value AND that our RB room is thin after Breece. We can carry 4 and only activate 3 depending on game plan. I think fans are trying too hard to fit this move into a box that makes sense. I think it’s a move that allows them to reshape the box.

Staying with your reshaped box analogy, the grade can go even higher if the power RB additions can keep Breece fresher at the same time they wear down the defense.  Then bang, a fresher Breece flies by a tired defense for a 4th quarter HR.  That's why I don't believe either are FBs, they are good overall running backs that can spell Breece in different ways.

Strategically, a complimentary back-up RB can likely help the star RB more than a complimentary back-up WR can help the star WR -- injuries aside.  Just the physical nature of the position.

I found this during my video searches...hadn't seen the call from this viewpoint before.

Davis was really emotional when he got the call from the Jets - so much so that he nearly forgot to hug mom afterwards.

Rooting for this guy.

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2024 at 9:00 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Teams need 4 rbs.  We now have 4 rbs.  Dont overthink it fellas.

Pretty much. If the Jets happen not to keep 4 rbs its because some other positional depth outshines, all good. Odds are Abanikanda gets let go or put on PS. That would only mean one of our backup WRs, TEs or even O-linemen had a fantastic camp and preseason. 

On 4/27/2024 at 7:57 PM, AFJF said:

Whats so hard to get - he is a 5th round pick

Plus looking at all the picks that were made between 111 and 134 I really don't see any must haves there.

and believe me last thing want to do is praise JD but it looks like weak draft - time will tell though

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Pretty much. If the Jets happen not to keep 4 rbs its because some other positional depth outshines, all good. Odds are Abanikanda gets let go or put on PS. That would only mean one of our backup WRs, TEs or even O-linemen had a fantastic camp and preseason. 

The Jets will keep 4 rb's on the roster, jmo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Not sure he’s big enough for a true FB but I am expecting to see a bunch of 2 RB sets this year.

Get that garbage yardage and keep chopping away at the defense.

This is it. Honestly, the more I watch the more Allen seems like the potential fullback/ running back hybrid and it’s probably better than Nick Bawden being on the field.

So I watched Davis during lead up to the JN Mock and thought he was good. The more I’ve watched him since we drafted him the more impressed I am with his vision. He has moments where he really gives me LeVeon Bell vibes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Whats so hard to get - he is a 5th round pick

Plus looking at all the picks that were made between 111 and 134 I really don't see any must haves there.

and believe me last thing want to do is praise JD but it looks like weak draft - time will tell though

Jet fans cannot comprehend that we had 2 rbs on the roster and need 4.  So we used late round picks to fill out the position.

Ive have never seen a fanbase struggle w/ simple math like this in my life.

Truly bizzare.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, kdels62 said:

This is it. Honestly, the more I watch the more Allen seems like the potential fullback/ running back hybrid and it’s probably better than Nick Bawden being on the field.

So I watched Davis during lead up to the JN Mock and thought he was good. The more I’ve watched him since we drafted him the more impressed I am with his vision. He has moments where he really gives me LeVeon Bell vibes. 

Davis is 220. Allen is 235 at 20 years old making him already the same size as Kyle Jusczcyk, and he could probably carry another 10 pounds if that’s what he wanted to do. He’s the one I’d be looking to move to FB. But for this year, I expect them to be in a competition for the primary backup job, and I expect that to last thru the preseason when they both get a ton of carries. I could see Davis winning that job. He plays more physical, which is what I think they want from the position. Allen has also had an issue with fumbles. He’s a very young player, though, one the coaches should be able to work with. 

Long term, I think Allen could have a productive career as a weaponized FB. We talk about 2-TE sets around here all the time but -to me- there’s not a lot of difference between 12 and 21 personnel if the extra RB is 6’2”, 240, and is a dangerous load with the ball in his hands. For the 49ers, Juszczyk is on the field nearly half the time and gives the team 200-300 receiving yards a year. He’s a converted TE. As a converted RB, I could see Allen as more of a part-time Mike Alstott seeing a handful of carries as well as those quick passes. Spell Breece by throwing Abanikanda and Allen out there together, and defenses still have a lot to account for all over the field. 

It’s hard to live in your black & white world with an imagination as colorful as mine…

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The disparity in overall prospect value between RB and every other position is huge.

Imagine this on a A-F scale of prospect quality… in the 5-7th round you are at best getting a C grade player at best for most every position, but at RB you can still get the B grade players, sometimes an A. Not a perfect explanation, but hopefully that makes sense of it.

It shows me that someone understands the economics of positional value AND that our RB room is thin after Breece. We can carry 4 and only activate 3 depending on game plan. I think fans are trying too hard to fit this move into a box that makes sense. I think it’s a move that allows them to reshape the box.

This is one of the better posts in here in some time

• Haha 1