TRADE dept. : ..options ~ ~ ~

kelly

Who on God's green earth would buy either Harris or Skrine with those contracts?  

Buying more WR's is totally the wrong move as well.  We've got J. Marshall, Peake, Anderson, and D. Smith and we need to find out who's who in that pecking order before we make any new purchases.      

• 4 months later...

The New York Jets are giving us plenty to discuss, but here's an outside-the-box question that piqued my interest :

@RichCimini since we released Marshall..what if we trade Richardson to NO for Cooks? It gives us the over the top threat we need #jetsmail

@richcimini : As ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported, the Saints are shopping wide receiver Brandin Cooks. Right now, it sounds like the Titans and Eagles are the most interested.

From a Jets perspective, yes, he'd be an ideal fit because of his background with new offensive coordinator John Morton, who spent the past two seasons as the Saints' receivers coach. Cooks, only 23, also happens to be one of the top young receivers in the league. He's small, but explosive (17 touchdowns over the past two seasons), and that would work well with bigger receivers like Quincy Enunwa and Eric Decker (if he survives the purge). I love your trade proposal because the Jets would improve at receiver while ridding themselves of Sheldon Richardson's $8.1 million cap hit, not to mention his off-the-field baggage.

That's the fantasy-football angle to your proposed trade, Dex. Now let's talk about the reality.

The Saints reportedly are demanding a first-round pick for Cooks or the equivalent of a first-round pick. I don't think Richardson-for-Cooks, straight up, would get it done. Personally, I think it's a pretty fair swap, but the perception of Richardson around the league isn't what it once was. He value has declined, so I think the Jets would have to add a sweetener to the offer.

Next, there's the money. Cooks is due to make only $1.6 million in 2017, and there's a fifth-year option for 2018 that would run at least $8 million. That would be a bargain price, but here's the problem: Cooks is seeking a long-term extension that would make him one of the highest-paid receivers, according to the NFL Network. I'm not sure the Jets are willing to invest that kind of money at receiver; my sense is they want to let the kids play and develop.

Lastly, there's Cook's attitude. If he's unhappy playing with Drew Brees in the most pass-happy offense in the league, imagine how he'd feel on the Jets. Yikes! I suppose money can buy happiness, but I think the Jets would prefer to use their new-found cap room on more pressing needs.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67264/does-a-sheldon-richardson-for-brandin-cooks-trade-make-sense-for-jets

• 1 month later...

After a divisional-round loss to the Carolina Panthers in January 2016, cornerback Richard Sherman was asked if the Seattle Seahawks were still a team on the rise.

"A hundred percent. Because we're still young," Sherman said without hesitating."We've got a young core. I think people have been astounded by what we've been able to do in our young careers, but we're far from done. Guys are just entering their prime. And we're going to be special for a long time."

A lot has changed since Sherman's declaration 15 months ago. In the past two weeks, on three separate occasions, Seahawks general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have made it clear publicly that Sherman is available via trade.With three weeks remaining before the draft, Sherman's future has become a major storyline league-wide. How did the Seahawks get to this point with Sherman? Which teams could be interested? What would it take? And should Seattle deal him?

Those are some of the questions addressed below.

Why are the Seahawks open to trading Sherman ?

It's probably a combination of factors, but at the top of the list is that Sherman's sideline blowups last year clearly didn't sit well with Carroll. In Week 6, Sherman got into it with defensive coordinator Kris Richard after the Seahawks blew a coverage, and teammates had to rally around Sherman to calm him down.In Week 15, Sherman questioned a decision to pass from the Los Angeles Rams' 1-yard line and went after Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. Afterward, Sherman justified his actions by referencing Russell Wilson's game-ending interception in Super Bowl XLIX.

"I was letting [Carroll] know. We've already seen how that goes," Sherman said at the time.

Carroll indicated later that Sherman knew he was wrong and apologized. When Sherman addressed the media, he said he had no regrets.Asked if he'd be OK with an offensive player questioning a defensive play-call, Sherman said, "If we had done something like a zero blitz in the Super Bowl and got bombed for a touchdown to lose the game, then I'm sure [it would] be understandable there, the reason."Sherman has never missed a game in his NFL career and is a four-time Pro Bowler. He has been a key cog on defense during the Seahawks' recent run of success. But at this point, the relationship between him and the organization is clearly strained.

"Richard went through a lot last year," Carroll said last week. "Most of it self-inflicted."

There have been other theories floated that relate to cap space and Sherman's age. Those might be a factor, but they're unlikely to be the driving force for a trade. The Seahawks have nine of 11 defensive starters under contract for the next two years and are well-positioned for another Super Bowl run.They are projected to have $45 million in cap space next offseason and have financial flexibility beyond that number if they want to move other players on the roster.

It's also worth considering that Sherman would welcome a trade. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter alluded to that on Friday, saying on SportsCenter, "It has been my understanding all along that Richard Sherman was the one who initiated this. He was the one that wanted to be traded initially. The Seahawks were obliging him and his request."

What is a reasonable asking price ?

Former NFL executive and current ESPN analyst Joe Banner pointed to the Darrelle Revis trade in 2013 as a reasonable comparison. Revis was 27 at the time and netted the  :wub: New York Jets  :wub: a first-round pick in 2013 and a fourth-round pick in 2014 from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"I think the most they could reasonably expect to get is a one and maybe something else thrown in that's late," Banner said.

At 29, Sherman is still a premier cornerback. His contract (two years remaining at $11.431 million and $11 million) is reasonable when compared to his peers.Even if a team was willing to match the Revis asking price, Banner said he didn't think the move made sense from the Seahawks' perspective."People will be wondering what's gone so wrong that a team on the verge of having a real chance of going back to the Super Bowl is willing to trade a star player," he said.

"First-round draft picks, 40 percent of them don't even become starters. What are you getting back? A little better than a 50/50 chance of even drafting a starter? In the meantime, you're losing a top-tier player at an important position."The Seahawks could also be interested in players who are already in the league. They have a need on the offensive line (specifically at tackle), are always looking for additional pass-rush and poked around the wide receiver market in free agency.

As for timing, Banner said it'd be best for the Seahawks to get a deal done before the draft.

"No reason for it to not happen now," he said. "If they get through the draft without it happening, they're in trouble as far as moving him. It's not impossible because some team could be hoping to get a corner in the draft, and then they don't get him and maybe they're interested now. Maybe it's a 2018 pick instead of a 2017 pick. But if you're the Seahawks, you really hope to not get yourself in that position. It's simple supply and demand. The more potential demand, the better chance you're getting a significant offer."

Which teams might be interested ?

Here's a roundup of potential interest from other teams, per ESPN's NFL Nation reporters.

~ ~  :wub: New York Jets: Yes, the Jets need another cornerback, but a pursuit of Sherman would contradict everything they've done this offseason. They're in a younger-and-cheaper mode, so Sherman, 29, makes no sense. He's a win-now player, and the Jets most certainly aren't a win-now team (more here). -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/25167/richard-sherman-trade-buzz-seahawks-asking-price-suitors-more

Archived