Jets Fall to Rams, 9-6

JetNation

Sheldon Richardson JN

The Jets started their third quarterback of the season this afternoon, with Bryce Petty making his first NFL start in the wake of injuries to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith. In a game that was ultimately a snoozefest, Petty didn’t make much of a difference as the Jets fell to the Rams 9-6.

The Rams received the opening kickoff and went fairly easily down the field with help from Jets penalties, but the defense held at the goal line, stopping the Rams offense and forcing a field goal.

A couple of drives later, the Jets went down the field, with Bryce Petty taking the team 99 yards for a touchdown on a trick play – a short pass to wide receiver Brandon Marshall who flipped the ball to running back Bilal Powell, who ran right in for the touchdown. The Jets led 6-3 after Nick Folk missed the extra point.

Other highlights included a great catch by rookie wide receiver Robby Anderson and featured more of Powell, who has been under utilized this season in backup role to running back Matt Forte.

Beyond this, the teams traded possession for the rest of the half. The Jets ran an ultra-conservative offense, clearly trying not to put too much pressure on Petty during his first game. The Rams, also a struggling team, weren’t very good either.

The teams also traded possessions for most of the third, but the Rams finally got on the board with another field goal, and the missed extra point loomed large, with the game tied 6-6 going into the 4th quarter.

Both teams continued to sputter offensively, but the Rams took the lead 9-6 on another field goal in the mid-fourth, and that was all it would take. Petty threw an interception on what would be New York’s last drive, and Los Angeles took a knee to close out a dull afternoon.

Petty’s final line on the day was 19 of 32 for 157 yards with 1 interception and 1 touchdown and a quarterback rating of 70.2.

Matt Forte led all rushers with 20 carries for 98 yards. Bilal Powell had 4 carries for 37 yards. Robby Anderson led Jets receivers with 3 receptions for 69 yards.

David Harris led the Jets defense with 11 tackles. Sheldon Richardson followed with 7. The Jets had 3 sacks of Los Angeles quarterback Case Keenum this afternoon. Harris, Lorenzo Mauldin, and Darron Lee each recorded half a sack. Steve McLendon recorded 1.5.

The Jets have a bye week next Sunday and return to the field Sunday, November 27 in primetime to play AFC East rival New England Patriots. Kickoff is scheduled for 8:30 at MetLife Stadium.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
sDo238ZB1KE

Click here to read the full story...

This game wasn't just an embarrassment to the Jets, but to the NFL as well. Had to be one of the worst played games I've ever seen. The Jets aren't just a bad team, they are lifeless. There really was no effort today. I'm beginning to ask myself, if the players don't care, as was evident today, why should I? 

29 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

This game wasn't just an embarrassment to the Jets, but to the NFL as well. Had to be one of the worst played games I've ever seen. The Jets aren't just a bad team, they are lifeless. There really was no effort today. I'm beginning to ask myself, if the players don't care, as was evident today, why should I? 

Jets coaches - Bowles and Gailey - are completely gutless. They take no chances and are so conservative and predictable that ANY defense would look good against them. There were plays missed by Petty to be sure, but they were there to be made and should have been attempted more than once. The Rams were so sure the Jets would throw short that they moved their LB's into that area and sure enough it was thrown right to him. 

9 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Jets coaches - Bowles and Gailey - are completely gutless. They take no chances and are so conservative and predictable that ANY defense would look good against them. There were plays missed by Petty to be sure, but they were there to be made and should have been attempted more than once. The Rams were so sure the Jets would throw short that they moved their LB's into that area and sure enough it was thrown right to him. 

100% agree. Gailey is like 100 years old. Get rid of him already. Bowles just has no clue. Cut Revis before season's end and let him play for the league minimum if he wants. Let's get a QB already. Petty isn't it. He didn't see a wide open Enunwa on a bunch of plays and flat out missed a wide open Anderson. Not saying we should go back to Suckpatrick but let's get someone next year

Archived