inside the #'s : Powell Tops the Chart ~ ~ ~

kelly

Jets RB's Yards/Carry Can Be Best in Franchise History & Best in NFL After Sunday's Game vs. Bills

E_MK2_9577-powell-story-top.jpg

Most rushing yards is the traditional way of measuring the NFL's top running back each year. That's why Curtis Martin is considered the NFL's best back in 2004, edging Seattle's Shaun Alexander by a single yard, 1,697 to 1,696.But there is something to be said for pounding out the most yards/carry as a measure of strength and explosion among the league's best ballcarriers in a given season. And the Jets' Bilal Powell is very much in the running for that title in 2016.

Powell is averaging 5.50 yards/carry this season on 109 carries, and in a head-to-head rarity, he'll be trying to hold off the challenge of Buffalo's LeSean McCoy at MetLife Stadium on Sunday. McCoy has more than twice as many carries as BP, 229, and his average is 5.49 yards/carry, one-hundredth of a yard or about three-eighths of an inch less per carry.

What's more, Bills back Mike Gillislee has them both beat at 6.24 yards/carry. But Gillislee has only 86 carries and the league's top rusher is determined among qualifying backs, meaning those who've averaged 6.25 carries/game, which totes out to 100 carries for the 16-game season.If Gillislee doesn't pry 14 carries away from McCoy vs. the Jets, his average won't qualify. Then Powell/McCoy have to guard against the guys beneath them — Ezekiel Elliott of Dallas, Jordan Howard of Chicago and Mark Ingram of New Orleans, all of whom sit at 5.1 yards/carry.

Franchise 5.0 Backs

That's the same problem Leon Washington had in 2008 as far as leading the Jets or the NFL. Washington averaged 5.89 yards/carry but only had 76 carries and so didn't qualify.

But if we open the Jets' list up to players with 75 carries or more, Washington's average is the best, followed at the moment by Powell's and then Freeman McNeil, the only other Jet to lead the NFL in yards/carry at 5.21 in the strike-shortened 1982. The list also has a few surprises, such as Blair Thomas in his 1990 rookie season, Shonn Greene in 2009 and the only QB on the list, the Titans' Al Dorow in 1960.

Here are the Jets' all-time yards/carry leaders, minimum of 75 carries :

Rusher Year Atts Yds Avg TDs
RB Leon Washington 2008 76 448 5.89 6
RB Bilal Powell 2016 109 600 5.50 3
RB Freeman McNeil 1982 151 786 5.21 6
RB LaMont Jordan 2004 93 479 5.15 2
RB Blair Thomas 1990 123 620 5.04 1
QB Al Dorow 1960 90 453 5.03 7
RB Shonn Greene 2009 108 540 5.00 2

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Inside-the-Numbers-Powell-Tops-the-Chart/3dbe5986-07d8-469b-bd48-812e1aeabcdf

• 3 weeks later...

more re powell..

Powell Proved a Lasting Point

Posted Jan 16, 2017

•  
  •  

Todd Bowles Impressed with Veteran Back’s Toughness, Quickness and Resiliency

E_MK1_6595-powell-top.jpg

Even on the darkest of nights, one can find a radiant star. With a strong finishing kick, Jets RB Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif rushed for a career-high 722 yards and his 58 receptions was the sixth-most by a RB in team history.

“I knew he was tough and a good complementary back,” said head coach Todd Bowles. “He showed me that he could be the guy.” Through the Jets’ first 12 games, Powell had 86 touches from scrimmage while sharing the backfield with veteran Matt Fortéicon-article-link.gif. He was productive when called upon, averaging 6.3 yards on his 49 carries and 6.7 yards on his 37 receptions. But with Forté slowed by a knee injury in December, Powell became the team’s No.1 option out of the backfield.

Over the final four games, the 5”10, 204-pound Powell put the battered and bruised Jets on his back and he charged ahead. He averaged 5.0 yards on his 82 carries and 6.7 yards on his 21 receptions. Powell eclipsed the 100-yard mark on the ground in Week 14 wins over San Francisco (145) and Buffalo (122), doing his damage behind a shuffled offensive line that lost four starters during the regular season.

“He showed me a lot running the ball from a toughness standpoint and making the team and the offense tougher,” Bowles said. “Especially running with four offensive linemen hurt, he showed his toughness, his quickness and his resiliency, which showed me a lot about him.”

Powell, who set a personnel best with 1,100  yards from scrimmage, and Forté (1,076) became the only pair of RBs this season to each record 1,000 scrimmage yards.  The 28-year-old Powell reaped the benefits from working on his explosiveness and adding hills to his routine in the offseason.

“This time I worked on a lot of change of direction stuff, in and out of cuts and I did a lot of hills,” he said back in August. “I did a bunch of band resistant workouts, I tried to stay away from the weights and do more lean stuff to help build muscle endurance.”That endurance was seen in a dazzling December display from the soft-spoken young man from Lakeland, FL. One of the most versatile backs in the league considering his blocking prowess, Powell is a difference maker who will remain ready when his number is called.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We are NOT drafting Fournette or Cook, even before Powell emerged this regime seemed to favor vets

i'm not for a running back with their first couple of picks but it does look like this position is currently locked for next season with powell and forte.  they get the oline straightened out and these guys will be better.

I love Powell and I think he should be a 3 down back next year. Forte was a dud though. He had maybe 3 decent games (off the top of my head) that looked more impressive because of TDs. For that reason I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to take Fournette to compliment Bilal. We could do much worse.

16 minutes ago, Lray said:

I love Powell and I think he should be a 3 down back next year. Forte was a dud though. He had maybe 3 decent games (off the top of my head) that looked more impressive because of TDs. For that reason I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to take Fournette to compliment Bilal. We could do much worse.

Personally, I prefer Cook, but you add Ryan Ramzcyk to this OL, and you can run either to the left or the right with equal potential for success .

Ramczyk and Carpenter makes the Left side of the OL a strength and IMO, the right side is already a strength with Winters and Shell . Resign Wesley Johnson and keep Dakota Dozier as the primary backup at both the OC and OG position .  Resign Ijalana as the primary backup at both tackle spots and either draft a developmental prospect , and you have the start to a solid OL .

IMO, Qvale  is on the bubble because he hasn't really improved that much in the last 2 yrs and IMO has been surpassed by both Ijalana and Dozier .  I'm curious about this  Donald Hawkins kid from Texas  we have on the roster . 

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Personally, I prefer Cook, but you add Ryan Ramzcyk to this OL, and you can run either to the left or the right with equal potential for success .

Ramczyk and Carpenter makes the Left side of the OL a strength and IMO, the right side is already a strength with Winters and Shell . Resign Wesley Johnson and keep Dakota Dozier as the primary backup at both the OC and OG position .  Resign Ijalana as the primary backup at both tackle spots and either draft a developmental prospect , and you have the start to a solid OL .

IMO, Qvale  is on the bubble because he hasn't really improved that much in the last 2 yrs and IMO has been surpassed by both Ijalana and Dozier .  I'm curious about this  Donald Hawkins kid from Texas  we have on the roster . 

Ramzcyk is a tree. Sure he has a lot of good qualities but he looks so cumbersome in pass protection. I'd worry about him going up against speed guys. I like Magnusson and Bolles. Magnusson looks solid at RT and Bolles has nice quickness and athleticism on the edge. Either could be available at the end of the 4th with a bit of luck. If it was a stronger OL class we wouldn't be having this conversation.

7 minutes ago, Lray said:

Ramzcyk is a tree. Sure he has a lot of good qualities but he looks so cumbersome in pass protection. I'd worry about him going up against speed guys. I like Magnusson and Bolles. Magnusson looks solid at RT and Bolles has nice quickness and athleticism on the edge. Either could be available at the end of the 4th with a bit of luck. If it was a stronger OL class we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The Class may be weak, but 1 player is worthy of a high 1st round grade and at that position, he's worth the pick IMO. Now if we could trade down just a little, it would make it so much better .

P.S .  If we were to miss out on Ramczyk, the only other OT I am interested in is the kid from USC, and he's a probable 3rd or 4th rounder . 

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Class may be weak, but 1 player is worthy of a high 1st round grade and at that position, he's worth the pick IMO. Now if we could trade down just a little, it would make it so much better .

P.S .  If we were to miss out on Ramczyk, the only other OT I am interested in is the kid from USC, and he's a probable 3rd or 4th rounder . 

I could live with trading back to the mid teens to take him.

5 minutes ago, Lray said:

I could live with trading back to the mid teens to take him.

I don't think he'll get past Carolina . I really want this kid on this team, and I could live with him, and the RB from Clemson as additions to the offense . If it were up to me, the QB from this draft I would add is the kid from BC Towles, and another dependent  upon the say-so of the New OC . Then whoever is worst after training camp,(Petty, Hackenberg, Towles) goes on the PS .

Archived