Defense Again???

win4ever

Our offense is mediocre at best, and it would really behoove the Jets to start picking some weapons on offense.  

However, why is there a myth that our defense can be ignored?  I haven't done the write-up for the defensive issues last year (mainly wanted to see what issues they faced and the people they picked to change it, but also because it's longer than a term paper) but this defense was absolutely horrible.  It's actually a mini miracle that some teams didn't burn us even more than they did last year.  

Blown Coverage- Pryor.gif

On this play, it's a 3rd down play and the Jets have two deep safeties to prevent a long pass.  They rush 4, man up on the short routes, and have two deep safeties over the top.  Sammy Coates runs a simple go route (same as the other WR- I think it's Brown on the other side) but notice Pryor being caught in no man's land and being useless on this play.  Pryor has to move with Coates, much like Gilchrist moves towards Brown on the other side, where the inside corner and over the top safety have it well covered.  

Blown Coverage- Group.gif

A group effort against Brady here and I can point to about 2 absolutely wide open guys in the middle.  On this play, Pryor is actually blitzing, it's Miles and I'm not sure who the other safety is.  Anyway, the second safety is essentially useless on this play because he follows Pryor up the line for no reason, leaving a gaping hole in the middle.  If Brady even looks to the left, this is an easy completion.  The second safety covers absolutely no one, instead of covering the middle of the field.  I'm also not sure how this is not a penalty against the CB playing Gronk.  

Blown Coverage- Group 2.gif

Biggest culprit on this play is Revis, who literally lets a TE run right by him before he realizes that the play has started.  This is a blown coverage overall because Pryor gets turned around twice on this play, resulting him being late.  The issue is Revis letting a guy run wide open, which causes an issue for Pryor and he abandoned his responsibility in the middle.  

These plays weren't hard to find and there are a ton of them for the Jets last year.  The secondary play was one of the worst displays of talent/effort out there so the Jets are making a good decision by trying to address the issue.  I would have preferred Hooker because I like his range better, but there are plenty of scouting reports that states that Adams can be very good in coverage as well.  In fact, there were some rumblings about converting him to a corner at some point. 

I know the Jets need offense and we haven't drafted an offensive player in the first round since the Kennedy assassination, but let's also not pretend like the defense doesn't need any help.  Yes, they have failed with defensive picks in the past, but they have failed with offensive picks as well.  This was a draft slanted towards the defense, so Adams should help out the team, especially if he's good at coverage.  

We will pick offense soon enough. Before the last day and after we draft a CB in the second and edge rusher in the third. After that we will have an offensive palooza. A cornucopia of offensive players nobody ever heard of and probably won't anytime soon. 

Just now, The Crusher said:

We will pick offense soon enough. Before the last day and after we draft a CB in the second and edge rusher in the third. After that we will have an offensive palooza. A cornucopia of offensive players nobody ever heard of and probably won't anytime soon. 

I think they might go offense in the second (either Robinson or Cook), but they have to grab another CB at some point.  

My sleeper guy: Jehu Chesson, I think he'd be a very nice late pick with great upside.  

1 minute ago, Matthew007b said:

I love the effort and information you post win4ever.. just had to say that.. creating those gif's and doing the homework you do - good stuff.  

Thanks, I appreciate it.  

Trust me, there is a long defensive breakdown article coming in the off-season.  I started it, but it's running way longer than I expected because almost everything was an issue, lol.  Probably have to break down the articles into a mini-series.

Archived