Could this be a problem?

4HCrew

Do you think due to Mangini's age and lack of experience he is having a hard time obtaining more tenured coaches? also his lack of league contacts who have not already been sucked up by Crennel and Saban?

I think it's age more than anything else. The Schottenheimer hiring is going to be an absolute train wreck. The Tannenbaum thing is TBD, in my opinion.

Do you think due to Mangini's age and lack of experience he is having a hard time obtaining more tenured coaches? also his lack of league contacts who have not already been sucked up by Crennel and Saban?

I don't think it's a problem, because I don't think he wants those guys.

Maybe Mangini prefers to surround himself with young, dedicated, detail oriented people, that are similar in personality and temperament. Older coaches might be more set in their ways and less likely to conform to his style.

I could be dead wrong, but I think it's more than a coincidence that most of his hires have been young, yet accomplished.

I do like this. I like the idea that new, fresh, innovative thoughts can come from these people. Schottenheimer, for example, comes from a long line of coaching, yet he desires to be his own man and has garnered praise for his work with Brees, and attention to detail and ability to work from the booth, overseeing the offense.

We need this. Something new, fresh. Hell, maybe it fails, but I'm tired of retreads. These people have to start from somewhere. I like that it is with us.

I am not opposed to young and innovative guys but just wish some of the coaches would have more experience. Would have preferred a Carthon over a Schottenheimer. I think an important thing is getting the respect from the players and that has to be earned. The defense does not worry nearly as much as the offense does. There is a MAJOR lack of experience not to mention game planning experience etc

A new coach is going to want people he is comfortable with- I give Mangini the leeway to pick who he wants- nothing wrong with per se with younger coaches- some of these guys are young in age but have 7,8,9 years of experience like Mangini

There really isn't much to choose from, also OC and DC and some Line coaches want to be HC's too so they are tough to pull from good teams because those good teams are their fastest route to a HC job. I'm not sayin the Jets aren't good, they just took a step backwards from the coaching change.

Archived