Dolphins considering Brees, Culpepper

Brenjetsfan

MIAMI - The Miami Dolphins met Saturday with quarterback Drew Brees in Birmingham, Ala., but were also considering a trade for Daunte Culpepper, said a person involved in negotiations on the first day of free agency.

There's competition with the Dolphins for both quarterbacks, said the source, who didn't want to be identified because the team has been tightlipped about its personnel plans.

The source said the Dolphins also met in South Florida with David Givens, one of the top free-agent receivers. He caught 59 passes for 738 yards and two touchdowns last year for New England.

The availability of Brees and Culpepper this year is uncertain because both are recovering from major injuries.

Miami coach Nick Saban and general manager Randy Mueller flew to Birmingham, where Brees has been rehabilitating his surgically repaired right shoulder. He went 20-11 the past two seasons for San Diego, but when contract talks with the Chargers stalled, they agreed to let him test the market.

Brees tore the labrum and damaged the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder in the final game last season and underwent surgery Jan. 5. The Chargers have expressed doubts about his recovery, but he said Friday that he's ahead of schedule in rehabilitation.

``I understand everyone has their concerns, but I invite anybody to come here and look me in the eye and tell me I'm not going to come back from this,'' he said Friday.

New Orleans was also believed to be pursuing Brees.

Culpepper was a three-time Pro Bowl selection for Minnesota but played poorly last season before tearing three ligaments in his right knee in a game Oct. 30. He has been at odds with the Vikings over his 10-year, $102 million contract and wants to be traded.

``If a trade does not happen then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible,'' he said in his e-mail this week to media outlets.

There has been speculation that Oakland, Baltimore, St. Louis and Arizona are also interested in Culpepper.

The Dolphins declined to comment Saturday, but it's clear their top priority is to upgrade the quarterback position, where journeyman Gus Frerotte started last season. He's still on the roster but may be released or return as a backup in 2006.

Dolphins | Team will visit with McCown

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:58:45 -0800

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Miami Dolphins still plan to visit with free agent QB Josh McCown (Cardinals).

McCown is a guy who can start right away, instead of having to wait and see how the other 2 injured heal. He had a terrible O-Line and no running game at all, yet still had around a .500 record as a starter. He also had a 60.9 completion %, and two 100-reception receivers. Strong arm, but tends to throw INT's due to being on the run and having no run support.

I wish we would take a look at him at least, but from what I hear both sides have expressed no interest at all.

Archived