After refusing pay cut, Moulds allowed to seek trade

RSJ

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Eric Moulds has the Buffalo Bills' permission to seek a trade, the latest step for the veteran receiver who asked for his release after repeatedly rejecting the team's demands to take a pay cut.

"We are shopping Eric," Moulds' personal adviser, Greg Johnson, told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "Obviously, we would much rather have Eric released. But if we can work out a trade, we will. But if not, we're back to Square 1 and Eric won't play for the Bills. He doesn't want to play for them, and he will not play for them."

Johnson said several teams already have expressed interest in Moulds since the Bills granted their permission on Friday. Without providing details, he added, the team has set parameters on what it would seek in return in a potential trade.

"It's moving forward to a degree and we anticipate something happening," Johnson said.

Moulds, a 10-year veteran and the Bills' senior player, has two years left on his contract, but was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against the salary cap next year. The Bills deem that figure too expensive but have failed in their bid to have the receiver restructure his contract.

Moulds, who is scheduled to make $7.1 million next season, has rejected the Bills' demands, believing there are other teams willing to match the salary.

Speaking earlier in the day, Bills general manager Marv Levy only hinted that the team has granted Moulds' representatives permission to seek a trade by saying: "I think they might examine the field and find that maybe that is the thing to do."

Levy also maintained the team's interest in keeping Moulds, but only if he agrees to a pay cut.

"I still think he has playing ability," Levy said. "But I don't think we can fill all of our other needs with the type of salary cap hit we have to take with him."

Buffalo would save about $5.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Moulds. The Bills have been active in the first week of free agency, signing nine free agents including four of their own players.

Among the players signed include two receivers, Andre' Davis, a four-year NFL veteran who played for New England last season, and Josh Reed, who spent the past four seasons in Buffalo.

The Bills, however, could use additional cap space to address their most immediate need in bolstering their offensive line.

Moulds was Buffalo's first-round pick in the 1996 draft and has been a full-time starter since his third season. In 154 games, he has 675 catches for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns. Only Andre Reed has more catches (941) and yards (13,095) among Bills receivers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2378904

I don't get it, they refuse to keep him at his salary, and he refuses to take a paycut so....they've given him "permission" to seek a trade? What team in their right mind would trade anything for him? Why not just wait for him to be cut?

I don't get it, they refuse to keep him at his salary, and he refuses to take a paycut so....they've given him "permission" to seek a trade? What team in their right mind would trade anything for him? Why not just wait for him to be cut?

To get exclusive rights to him. If he gets cut,there will be several teams bidding on him and he gets to decide who he plays for. If you trade rather than wait for a release,there's no fear of losing out to a team with more cap room

Not saying I would give up picks personally,but that will be the logic behind any attempt to trade for him: to avoid risking Moulds choosing another team as a free agent.

Well before the posts start streaming of how we should throw something at Buffalo just don't even begin to type it.

Unless we're willing to part with #4 or #29, it ain't happen! Teams do not trade within the division. The Bledsoe to Buffalo trade was for a 1st round pick and that would be the only exception.

Just thought I'd say that before someone starts streaming to offer our 2nd rounder or #29 for Moulds.

To get exclusive rights to him. If he gets cut,there will be several teams bidding on him and he gets to decide who he plays for. If you trade rather than wait for a release,there's no fear of losing out to a team with more cap room

Not saying I would give up picks personally,but that will be the logic behind any attempt to trade for him: to avoid risking Moulds choosing another team as a free agent.

So what happens if a team talks to the Bills and gets permission and works out a contract with him, but then they can't agree on compensation? I mean it seems like a violation of good faith but...I could see a lot of problems in this scenario as well.

So what happens if a team talks to the Bills and gets permission and works out a contract with him, but then they can't agree on compensation? I mean it seems like a violation of good faith but...I could see a lot of problems in this scenario as well.

He's not a franchise player,so I think a team would have to agree to trade for him first,then they'd be able to work on a new contract if they wanted to restructure. I don't know to be honest,as I personally agree with your earlier stated P.O.V of "why give up picks for him when you can wait until he gets released". Was just throwing out a possible explanation.

Archived