NY Jets QB Options

JetNation

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think that the Jets have given up on the Shanahan system, which effectively is OL/RB running focus with a QB who is a scheme fit.  The new coaches they have hired fit that.  I don't see the Jets with Lamar-their coaches and their contracts can't coach him.  that was the Monken hire.

I agree with this but it is also not a fit for Zach so not sure how the Zach resurrection works to be honest. Actually really disappointed in the hires

This vet QB market is a scratch and dent sale. None of the available or potentially available QBs are exciting choices IMO.

The way I see it Douglas either targets a younger diamond in the rough project or an older QB who is a bridge to somebody else, whether that is Zach or another draft pick. Douglas's future with the team is probably married to whatever choice he makes here. I can't see Woody giving him another complete disaster at QB and then a third pick at QB as his contract runs out. For that reason, I believe Douglas picks the best of the more tenured options as a starter. Far easier to bring in somebody who doesn't need to be built or rebuilt from the ground and buy some breathing room to build up a long term option. I think there is a real interest in trying to get Rodgers. Failing that, I expect he will make a push to bring in somebody in the Carr, Tannehill, Garoppolo realm on a 1-3 year deal.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Zach's play on the field makes it a no-regret decision to get rid of him. Zach's earned every bit of his right to be cut.

Pretty sure you wanted to get rid of darnold after just the first season when you were 14 in green, so not sure where you're coming from. And darnold showed more potential in his first season than zach has in any of his career starts. 

Everything you’re saying is true. Maybe I didn’t make myself clear… I was putting myself in Joe Douglas’ shoes when I said that I could see it being hard to move on after only two years.

Me? I’ve seen enough. I’d drop him like a hot potat…. Oops not going there again @JetPotato

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I’m all for players holding out — withholding services is one of the only levers they have to pull but if it’s true he abandoned the team in the middle of a playoff run due to contract displeasure… not a good look.

I’m no insider, but I am very friendly with a now recently retired FO guy who was with the Ravens organization for over 20 years.

One thing I can tell you about Lamar is he was definitely too hurt to play last season. As far as the rest that I heard about him? Let’s just say they’re not enamored with his passing ability.

• Upvote 1