NY Jets QB Options

JetNation

Lamar Jackson

Another year with no playoffs. Once the Sacramento Kings make the playoffs in the NBA the Jets will own the longest playoff drought in the 4 major North American sports. I was a pimply-faced 17-year-old high school kid the last time the Jets made the playoffs and now I am in my 30s and about to get married. Things change but the Jets do not. They keep losing. Watching this weekend’s playoff games got me thinking about their place in the NFL. 

Being a Jets fan is tough and as a fan of the Mets and Knicks as well I know heartbreak. While being a Mets and Knicks fan lately is starting to feel better the Jets continue to disappoint. The Mets are one of the best teams in baseball. The Knicks are a top 6 team in the East and look like they have a reasonably bright future, they are playing to their full potential. The Jets meanwhile started to make you feel good about their future before they pulled the rug out from under you. 

The Jets started 7-4 this year, only needing to go 2-4 down the stretch to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Instead, they went 0-6. After beating the Buffalo Bills I was starting to believe. The defense was legitimately one of the best in the NFL. The offense had some young playmakers. Robert Saleh was looking like a good coaching hire. Then, everything unraveled. Zach Wilson was not impressive even while the team was winning, but after the 7-4 start he completely collapsed as being any kind of competent QB. He single-handedly was responsible for some losses down the stretch. The defense played outstanding during most of the losing streak with the Seattle game being the exception. Saleh did not distinguish himself with some of his QB decisions. So now we are at an uncertain time. We probably know for sure Zach Wilson is not the answer, and now we are questioning if Robert Saleh is the answer.

I believe the Jets can win with Saleh as head coach. I do not think he is one of the better coaches in the NFL and some of his decisions are inconsistent, especially at the QB position. His overly positive attitude is grating for fans, especially in the midst of a 6 game losing streak. However, he is a defensive coach and the Jets defense was a top 5 unit this year. I think with a competent QB the Jets should have a solid team next year as long as the defense keeps up their performance.

The question is, who will that QB be? Let’s take a look at the top choices.

Lamar Jackson

The best option for the Jets at QB next year would probably be Lamar Jackson. Lamar is not happy with Baltimore for not giving him a long-term contract. Baltimore is not happy with Lamar for sitting out the last six weeks of the season with a 2-week injury. John Harbaugh and several players came out with statements showing their displeasure with Lamar’s absence. This might mean Lamar could be available. It will take a lot, multiple 1st round picks, and a lot of guaranteed money for an injury risk at QB. But to solve the Jets 50 year problem at QB it is worth it. Lamar is a top 10 QB in the NFL and would make the Jets Super Bowl contenders. Plus, he is young, only 25 years old. He has some growing to do as a person and a player, but it is worth the risk. 

Aaron Rodgers

The next best option at QB to me is Aaron Rodgers. The way the Green Bay Packers season ended made it seem like Rodgers was either leaving Green Bay or retiring. My bet is he is leaving Green Bay. He was frustrated all season with the young WRs and has been upset in the past with the front office. He is close to the end and may not see Green Bay as a place he can win. Does he see New York as a place he can win in? With their defense and weapons, I think he does. I believe only Lamar or Rodgers would make the Jets Super Bowl contenders next year but their true availability is a question. If they are out there to be acquired, the Jets have to go all out to get them. Jobs are on the line. 

Derek Carr

The best available QB out there for sure is Derek Carr. He is a solid top 15-18 QB in the NFL. If he was the Jets QB this year they would have made the playoffs. He would put them in a good spot to make the playoffs next year. If the Jets do acquire him they need to upgrade the O Line, as he does not deal with pressure well. There are also rumors out there that his personality would not fit New York well but I do not put much stock into that. He does not have the upside of Lamar or Rodgers and it would be hard for me to see the Jets winning the Super Bowl with him at QB. QBs of his caliber have won before, but they are few and far between. I would say he is a similar QB as Matt Stafford who won last year but everything has to go right. Carr would be a solid but uninspiring choice. 

Jimmy Garropolo

The next best, obviously available QB would be Jimmy Garropolo. I thought he was the most likely option while LaFleur was OC, since he has experience in that system but now I am not so sure. Jimmy is in a similar vein as Carr, but I think slightly lower on the QB hierarchy chart. He has looked good in San Francisco, but they might have the best roster/coaching combination in the NFL. The Jets do not have an organization that can prop him up as the 49ers do. If they get Jimmy, they will be a playoff contender but not a serious Super Bowl contender. He still would be the best QB the Jets have had since that one Ryan Fitzpatrick year. 

The bottom line is the Jets need to make the playoffs next year. And to do that, they need to acquire a new starting QB. I do not mind them hanging on to Zach Wilson and trying to continue developing him as he has some upside as the number 2 pick in the draft and being 23 years old. They cannot count on him. Mike White was a nice story, but he had his shot and got injured twice. He is not someone they can count on. White is perfect as a backup who can give you a spark for a couple of games but hard to see him doing great as a full-time starter. The Jets have their best young roster in recent memory, and they cannot waste it. It is time for the playoff drought and competent QB drought to end. 

The post NY Jets QB Options appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lamar Jackson

The best option for the Jets at QB next year would probably be Lamar Jackson.

Stopped reading. He is easily the worst option for the Jets.

If he signs a huge long guarantee it could kill a team if the injuries keep stacking up. It would be surprising if they don’t keep stacking up.

Then add multiple firsts?!?   Yeah not a wise move.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lamar Jackson

I feel like most people would disagree with that but I am with you. I don't want Lamar, he is always hurt. The Ravens are well run and I don't see them getting this wrong if they let him walk.

• Upvote 2

We aren't getting Lamar, its just a pipe dream, so I won't even address it (teams don't give up on top 5 qbs in the NFL regardless of what they are pretending).

Rogers is the best choice by a considerable margin, given that he is one of the best players of all time only one year removed from an MVP season.  Yea he won't be as good as he used to be, but he's still a top 10 qb.  The price will be high, and we would have a very small superbowl window with him (prolly not 2024, but maybe 2025), but thats better than anything we've seen in a long time.

I'd say a healthy Jimmy G is a bit better than Carr, all things being equal.  He has slightly better numbers (career qb rating of 92 vs 98 for Jimmy G), and when you look at his injury history (where his per game numbers drop like a rock for a month or two) it becomes clear that his top end is higher.  Carr has generally speaking had a worse offensive cast though but Jimmy is much better suited for our offense.

Both are upper echelon qbs that are probably just outside the top 10 (think 10-14 range), but you will be happy when you see the difference relative to the garbage we've had.  QBs like this usually make you feel like you can beat anyone on any given day.

However, both qbs are going to piss Jets fans off with some fatal flaws that keeps them just outside that elite range.  Carr throws too many picks.  Jimmy gets injured, and takes too many bad sacks (and will randomly throw a game about once a year with boneheaded/inconsistent play). 

Still, they will put up some big numbers here with our surrounding cast and I would be shocked if we didn't see the playoffs (even in a loaded AFCE).  Our superbowl window with them will always be as outsiders, but it would be much longer than the Lamar/Rogers all in phase.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I feel like most people would disagree with that but I am with you. I don't want Lamar, he is always hurt. The Ravens are well run and I don't see them getting this wrong if they let him walk.

Ravens will also refrain from trading him to a team 2-3 hours from their stadium in the same conference. If they do, it will be a lopsided trade in their favor. Add to that the cost and it’s a big NO for the Jets. 

I think if AR costs more than a #1 in ‘24 & a 2nd in 2023 Jets move directly to Jimmy G. He can play in Hackett’s system, is an accurate short to intermediate passer and doesn’t create drama (apart from injuries)

JD loves those draft picks.

32 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

how on earth does this article does this article talk about jimmy g and not mention his abysmal injury prone history?? it's easily his most prominent trait....that he can't stay on the ******* field because he is soft af!!!

His injury history would certainly keep his contract shorter than others. Maybe he gets a 2 year  “ Prove you can stay healthy” deal. He has the ability to be a top 15 quarterback… But he will not get that kind of contract because of his injury history. This could be to the Jets benefit.

While all these QB's are better options than what we currently have, none of them that will cost in trades are worth it to this team as it currently exists... We need to get one that will not cost draft picks or serious money that will hamper our cap. That's just the reality of the situation. 

• Upvote 1

An injury riddled QB who will only sign a fully guaranteed $200M+ contract sounds like a great idea. 

Rodgers is the guy the Jets want for the very specific reason that he’d be the short term rental that allows them to try to reanimate Zach. I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but the owner likes Zach and he has support in the front office. To me, right now, it does not look like they’ll give up on Zach until they’re certain he can’t be resuscitated, however certain the fans may be on that point already. 

I think if they can’t get Rodgers, it’ll be a second tier guy. Tannehill, Minshew, etc., who’d be a lower paid placeholder either for Zach or their next draft pick. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

None of the QB's in the OP list are actually options JD will pursue.

He might leak to the media that he is pursuing them, to placate angry fans.

But he's aiming much lower.  And he's still hoping Zach can turn it around.

Wait and see.

Who would be the much lower option? Like Winston ( personally I would seriously consider him) or Minshew?

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Who would be the much lower option? Like Winston ( personally I would seriously consider him) or Minshew?

Think all the tertiary free agent types.  Minshew would cost a trade. 

More Mayfield and his equivalents, with Tannehill perhaps the best of that group.

https://www.sportscasting.com/gardner-minshew-contract-will-2023-free-agent-become-starter-next-season/

Minshew might be the best backup QB in the NFL, but is he a starter? 

The next Gardner Minshew contract will dictate the rest of the QBs career. If a team makes him its starter, there could be big days and big money ahead for the signal-caller. But is Minshew worth it?

Evaluating Minshew in 2023 will be tough. Since his days in Jacksonville, the quarterback has only thrown 64 passes.

Looking back on his Jaguars days, Minshew put up 3,271 passing yards his first season with a 60.6% completion rate, 21 touchdowns, and just six interceptions. The next season, in five fewer games, Minshew threw for 2,259 yards with 16 TDs and six INTs with a 66.1% completion rate. He also ran for 344 yards in his first season and 153 in his second.

Looking back, Minshew fits the mold of the now-valuable accurate, mobile quarterback. Although, despite his ability to run and scramble, he took 60 sacks in his first two seasons. In fairness, though, he was young and playing behind a poor offensive line.

With his skillset and potential — he’s still just 26 years old — it does seem like some team will give Minshew a chance to at least compete for a starting job next season by giving out a decent-sized Gardner Minshew contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

https://www.sportscasting.com/gardner-minshew-contract-will-2023-free-agent-become-starter-next-season/

Minshew might be the best backup QB in the NFL, but is he a starter? 

The next Gardner Minshew contract will dictate the rest of the QBs career. If a team makes him its starter, there could be big days and big money ahead for the signal-caller. But is Minshew worth it?

Evaluating Minshew in 2023 will be tough. Since his days in Jacksonville, the quarterback has only thrown 64 passes.

Looking back on his Jaguars days, Minshew put up 3,271 passing yards his first season with a 60.6% completion rate, 21 touchdowns, and just six interceptions. The next season, in five fewer games, Minshew threw for 2,259 yards with 16 TDs and six INTs with a 66.1% completion rate. He also ran for 344 yards in his first season and 153 in his second.

Looking back, Minshew fits the mold of the now-valuable accurate, mobile quarterback. Although, despite his ability to run and scramble, he took 60 sacks in his first two seasons. In fairness, though, he was young and playing behind a poor offensive line.

With his skillset and potential — he’s still just 26 years old — it does seem like some team will give Minshew a chance to at least compete for a starting job next season by giving out a decent-sized Gardner Minshew contract.

Wish it would be so but with JD on the short end of his contract I don’t see him betting his career on a “cheap” option I think he’s going all in.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

An injury riddled QB who will only sign a fully guaranteed $200M+ contract sounds like a great idea. 

Rodgers is the guy the Jets want for the very specific reason that he’d be the short term rental that allows them to try to reanimate Zach. I don’t like it, you don’t like it, but the owner likes Zach and he has support in the front office. To me, right now, it does not look like they’ll give up on Zach until they’re certain he can’t be resuscitated, however certain the fans may be on that point already. 

I think if they can’t get Rodgers, it’ll be a second tier guy. Tannehill, Minshew, etc., who’d be a lower paid placeholder either for Zach or their next draft pick. 

I agree with you, but if this is really what they’re thinking I would prefer them signing someone on the Trubisky, Minshew level. I really don’t believe after two seasons another two on the bench will help Zach.

We’re at a point where (assuming cap implications) we either bury him this year then dump him, or accept the fact that he needs to see the field this season.

I guess it all depends on how close you think the Jets actually are to contending for a title? I don’t think they are, so as much as I dislike the thought of seeing Wilson out there, I’d understand why they’re doing it.

It’s tough to move on from the #2 pick in the draft after two seasons… I get that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I agree with you, but if this is really what they’re thinking I would prefer them signing someone on the Trubisky, Minshew level. I really don’t believe after two seasons another two on the bench will help Zach.

We’re at a point where (assuming cap implications) we either bury him this year then dump him, or accept the fact that he needs to see the field this season.

I guess it all depends on how close you think the Jets actually are to contending for a title? I don’t think they are, so as much as I dislike the thought of seeing Wilson out there, I’d understand why they’re doing it.

It’s tough to move on from the #2 pick in the draft after two seasons… I get that.

Not much to disagree with here except to say this is the best window we have had since Rex’s first two seasons and it would be extreme dereliction of duty for JD not to go for it.

I happen to think average or better QB play makes us an instant playoff team and well, once you get to the playoffs it’s a whole new season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not much to disagree with here except to say this is the best window we have had since Rex’s first two seasons and it would be extreme dereliction of duty for JD not to go for it.

I happen to think average or better QB play makes us an instant playoff team and well, once you get to the playoffs it’s a whole new season.

The "window" argument is the most fruitful argument for bringing Lamar in. He's easily the best available QB, but he's also the highest risk of busting on a long term deal. Now, if JD were to front a ton of money to him to entice him to sign a deal that would allow us to get out of his contract in 2-3 years (coinciding with the closing of the window), then I would 100% be in favor of Lamar.

Short of that, I want Rodgers for 2 years while we draft and develop our QB of the future. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Zach's play on the field makes it a no-regret decision to get rid of him. Zach's earned every bit of his right to be cut.

Pretty sure you wanted to get rid of darnold after just the first season when you were 14 in green, so not sure where you're coming from. And darnold showed more potential in his first season than zach has in any of his career starts. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The "window" argument is the most fruitful argument for bringing Lamar in. He's easily the best available QB, but he's also the highest risk of busting on a long term deal. Now, if JD were to front a ton of money to him to entice him to sign a deal that would allow us to get out of his contract in 2-3 years (coinciding with the closing of the window), then I would 100% be in favor of Lamar.

Short of that, I want Rodgers for 2 years while we draft and develop our QB of the future. 

Yeah I can’t see JD going “cheap” in any case. Whoever is coming in will likely be the biggest contract in NYJ history. Minshew is not walking through that door, as much as I like him.

Lamar Jackson

The best option for the Jets at QB next year would probably be Lamar Jackson. Lamar is not happy with Baltimore for not giving him a long-term contract. Baltimore is not happy with Lamar for sitting out the last six weeks of the season with a 2-week injury. John Harbaugh and several players came out with statements showing their displeasure with Lamar’s absence. This might mean Lamar could be available. It will take a lot, multiple 1st round picks, and a lot of guaranteed money for an injury risk at QB. But to solve the Jets 50 year problem at QB it is worth it. Lamar is a top 10 QB in the NFL and would make the Jets Super Bowl contenders. Plus, he is young, only 25 years old. He has some growing to do as a person and a player, but it is worth the risk. 

I can safely say the Jets wouldn't be unhappy with a player sitting out six weeks with a two week injury.  This is starting to make sense.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

I can safely say the Jets wouldn't be unhappy with a player sitting out six weeks with a two week injury.  This is starting to make sense.

I’m all for players holding out — withholding services is one of the only levers they have to pull but if it’s true he abandoned the team in the middle of a playoff run due to contract displeasure… not a good look.

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lamar Jackson

I don't think that the Jets have given up on the Shanahan system, which effectively is OL/RB running focus with a QB who is a scheme fit.  The new coaches they have hired fit that.  I don't see the Jets with Lamar-their coaches and their contracts can't coach him.  that was the Monken hire.

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

The Bears picking 1st with an existing QB who can be "OK" should definitely get what they can for Fields and reboot with new Rookie QB who can developed by the new CS and has a new rookie contract.   for the reasons set forth above, that is not the Jets.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think that the Jets have given up on the Shanahan system, which effectively is OL/RB running focus with a QB who is a scheme fit.  The new coaches they have hired fit that.  I don't see the Jets with Lamar-their coaches and their contracts can't coach him.  that was the Monken hire.

The Bears picking 1st with an existing QB who can be "OK" should definitely get what they can for Fields and reboot with new Rookie QB who can developed by the new CS and has a new rookie contract.   for the reasons set forth above, that is not the Jets.

Should be a 3 - Way trade. Ravens get Justin Fields and a couple picks, Jets get Lamar Jackson and Bears all the picks. Get it done. 

• Upvote 1