Michael Carter RB

Jigsaw89

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Carter sucked because he is what he is

He’s a depth piece in the backfield. The 3rd or 4th guy in the RB rotation.

There’s a thousand Michael Carter’s spread across the league and currently on the street.

He’s the very definition of a JAG

8.7 ypc and a receiving TD facing the eagles at Philly.  He sucked here in large part because Zach sucked here.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

8.7 ypc and a receiving TD facing the eagles at Philly.  He sucked here in large part because Zach sucked here.  

It’s a single game

He has 170 yards rushing on the season. He’s been a total non-factor.

He’s your run of the mill, standard mid-round back who can play 3rd/4th fiddle in the RB rotation.

These guys are a dime a dozen and they’re readily available.

I’m not going to cry over Michael Carter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

It’s a single game

He has 170 yards rushing on the season. He’s been a total non-factor.

He’s your run of the mill, standard mid-round back who can play 3rd/4th fiddle in the RB rotation.

These guys are a dime a dozen and they’re readily available.

I’m not going to cry over Michael Carter.

You’ll be crying over losing Garrett Wilson next Fall when we are forced to trade him because Zachopono is still here and still starting

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

You’ll be crying over losing Garrett Wilson next Fall when we are forced to trade him because Zachopono is still here and still starting

Doubtful, but at least Garrett is worth crying over.

Carter has never, and will never, achieve even Bilal Powell/Leon Washington status as a complimentary back, much less ever be the focal point of a teams offense.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Doubtful, but at least Garrett is worth crying over.

Carter has never, and will never, achieve even Bilal Powell/Leon Washington status as a complimentary back, much less ever be the focal point of a teams offense.

Carter is better than those guys.  Thanks Zach!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The problem is that those 3 players left the Jets and got better. Why is Moses now a key part of a line that is able to form an impenetrable wall for the MVP of the league? GVR and Fant are quality starters now. GVR was terrible on the Jets. I blame the coaching staff. Our OL has been underperforming these last few years. And it’s not all injury related.

Laken comes here and sucks.

I think "impenetrable wall" is a bit strong. In terms of sacks surrendered, Baltimore's OL is middle 1/3. LJax is as mobile as they come and he still gets sacked 2-3x/game; a rate about 50% higher than his MVP season in 2019 when a healthy Stanley and OBrown were his tackles.

I'm not in slight disagreement that so many OLmen seem to be worse on the Jets, but at the same time

Fant had quite easily the best season of his career - by a comfortable margin - when playing LT for the Jets, and having to do so while blocking primarily for a rookie Zach Wilson and playing next to a rookie LG after suddenly switching to LT mid-game week 1. Fant was basically passable as a RT when he first got here, but that was also his first season as a full-time starter. His 3rd year here he was injured more or less the whole season. On balance I'd say, certainly at his best, that Fant was better here than advertised. The year before Douglas signed him he couldn't beat out bust Germain Ifedi for the starting RT job in Seattle when they had a camp competition for the position.

GVR wasn't good before he got here either, which is why the Jets got him for glorified backup money. The year after he left he was behind Ryan Bates on the Bills' depth chart. Ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold who was injured in the offseason before having a career-worst season, and spent this season mostly on the Jets' practice squad. He's apparently let up a handful of sacks this season from the guard position.

Tomlinson is a major head-scratcher. I mean, he's just awful. In truth he wasn't so great when he first got to San Fran either: he was a relative 1st round bust in Detroit, and then based on his play his first year in SF the 9ers elected to decline his 5th year option. Then they got arguably the game's best LT next to him and like magic he's a reliable LG. Then he comes here and is awful, with an ability to suit up every week being his only positive attribute. 

Jonotthan Harrison was as bleh as the stupid spelling of his first name. He was more or less the Jets' top center for 2 years. After leaving the Jets his career was over. In an emergency situation, he's appeared in 2 games for Miami this year in mop-up duty during blowouts (including 3 snaps against the Jets in a blowout win, then 6 snaps against Baltimore in the blowout loss).

Alex Lewis as I recall was fine in 2019, and earned an extension. Then he was was on the NFI list for most of the 2nd half of 2020. Then he up & retired in the summer of 2021. Going to guess he had something going on from the neck up, but tbh I don't know, and don't recall if it was ever disclosed. Suffice to say, he was at his best here and didn't go on to bigger & better things on the field elsewhere.

Becton... do your own writeup, I guess; I won't argue it. The thing with a high ceiling/low floor pick is GMs often just see the high ceiling. In fairness PMIII was a high ceiling low floor pick; more often than a HOF'er instead you get a Becton...or worse, a Zach Wilson. I get that they wanted a LT with a pick this high, and at the time Wirfs was seen as a RT at best, if not possibly a guard at the next level (like AVT), but it's hard to understate what a whiff this was when the other two were already off the board, and even less so given Wirfs is now Tampa's starting LT and hasn't missed a beat out there.

AVT getting hurt twice in two years, both times on grass so there's no blaming the MetLife turf. People want to blame it on the move to tackle, which makes it indirectly the result of not getting adequate (or healthy) starters there, but it's a stretch other than the idea that his path would've been different if parked at LG this whole time. Of course we don't see a potentially more-serious injury that may have occurred there, and as such only see the injured path he took and an uninjured one he didn't. It's a rough sport, and this one can't be blamed on players not being in game shape (Becton) or age (D.Brown) or the turf (N.Bosa) or some combination of two of these reasons (Rodgers). 

Duane Brown was a model of health and above average play...until getting to the Jets. Yeah he's older, but wow.

Conor McGovern was the best center on the market when they signed him. He was probably about as advertised; when we're not watching the Broncos we don't see every bad play that would've stuck in our memories as they did for the Jets, and presume PFF grades and such were accurate and therefore he got worse. Maybe he did, but lots of players get worse after enough punishment. This past trail-off (before the injury, of course) can be put on the combo of bad OLC and a bad offense that allows defenses to take more chances with impunity. Which brings us to...

OL coaching

It's been terrible, if you just look at the results (and then of late, all the miscues leading to a barrage of free rushers through an open lane between the tackles while linemen are standing in space doing nothing or two of them blocking the same DLman). Jets fans weren't just spoiled in the past by good to great OLs in the past, but also had a brief stint with the game's premiere OLC in Bill Callahan. It was a crime to not make an offer he couldn't refuse back in 2020, pretty much knowing they were taking an OT in April (or at worst was in need of expert assessment). The team was 7-9 despite the #31 offense that included 5 forgettable starters on the line, with a perceived ally as the GM's roots were on the OL himself and an offseason that was headed towards 4 new faces at both tackles (Beachum/Shell) and center (Kalil/Harrison) and RG (Winters/Compton) positions, so it could - and would - be molded pretty much however Callahan wanted. Maybe the '20 offseason tackles added would be Conklin/Wirfs instead of Fant/Becton. Or maybe they just go Fant/Conklin - or even Beachum/Conklin - and draft Lamb or Jefferson instead of signing FA Perriman and drafting Mims. Note, as their interim HC, he saw Darnold throw 4 TDs in the Jets/Washington game while the Jets' D held Callahan's offense to 3 points until garbage time. Maybe it's unlikely Gase would've fired Frank Pollack after just 1 season, but before that his OLs saw starters go on IR 3 seasons in a row (Romo twice, then Dalton) before the Jets hired him, and then Siemien for the Jets in the blink of an eye while Darnold had mono (lol) that led to 3 games of Luke Falk, and an 0-13 start that then led to drafting Zach Wilson. How's that for a butterfly effect?

The Jets suck, are a rudderless ship, and have been for years. The cascade of failure on the OL has played a huge part in it all. Behind an elite OL and a tough defense, we even saw Mark Sanchez QB a team to within 1 game of the Super Bowl. Twice. I don't think every resource needs to go to the OL, and a good amount of the woes are due to fielding backups after the starters went on IR, often followed by their primary backups as well, but however you slice it the lines they've fielded have just been an embarrassment. 

If you read all this, I owe you a Coke.

• Upvote 2