We still operating a West Coast Offense?

NIGHT STALKER

Here's a West Coast back......

Full Name: Laurence Maroney

School: Minnesota

Pos: RB

Ht: 6-0 Wt: 217 40: 4.47 Year: 3Jr

Bio: Started the past three seasons in a rotational system at Minnesota. Awarded All-Conference honors since his freshman campaign. Junior totals included 281/1,464/10 on the ground with 17/170/1 as a pass-catcher. Ground totals the prior year included 217/1,348/12.

Pos: Patient, elusive ball carrier with outstanding instincts. Waits for blocks to develop, weaves through the traffic and finds the open space. Quick-footed, cuts back against the grain and makes defenders miss. Bounces around piles or beats defenders around the corner. Does not go down without a fight and falls forward when tackled.

Neg: Cannot run to daylight and presents himself as a one-speed back. Must pick up the blocking intensity. Not a pile-mover. Has had problems with minor nicks and bruises in the past.

Analysis: Handling a lot of carries in college, Maroney showed up bigger and stronger at the combine. Could be an effective West Coast back in the NFL.

There's really no such thing as a pure "west coast" offense anymore. Almost every team in the NFL runs some sort of variation on it. It is extremely likely that, yes, we will be running some variation of it as well. However, the point is to get the best players possible, and then tailor a system to their strengths, instead of getting specific players for a specific system. There's gotta be an overall vision, true, but the idea is to have OPTIONS to do multiple things.

Actually, Maroney is not so much of a WCO back. To be one, you need to be a very good recieving running back, something that Maroney is most definately not. Maroney is a zone-blocking RB. Now, I would love Maroney, but he is not a WCO back. Joseph Addai, LSU RB however would be a terrific fit at 35. He has an extremely rare combination of fantastic size and even better speed. He is an elite recieving back and his only flaw his that he doesn't hit the holes with power, something that Martin does phenominally and could easily teach a young Addai to do. I'd say that Addai and Houston could be a very nice pair of backs in a bout 3 years.

I've always liked to watch Maroney play while he was at Minnesota and I'd love to take a chance on him at 35 but with Martin, Blaylock and Houston all on the roster I don't see us drafting a RB this season.

My dream draft for 07 would be to somehow get Adrian Peterson (RB from Oklahoma).:cheers:

Archived