Aaron Rodgers - Leadership

Hello Jets Fans,

I’m a long-time Packers fan who was sad to see Aaron Rodgers go down last year knowing that ya’ll were really hoping for—and deserving of—a run to the playoffs (with hope for at least getting to the Super Bowl).

That said, I’ve never had much confidence in Aaron’s leadership or his commitment to winning, and rate him as the 3rd best Packers QB of all time behind Bart Starr at #1 and Brett Favre.

For all his talent and statistics, in all his years with Green Bay Aaron only went to—and won—one Super Bowl, and I believe there’s a reason why Davante Adams originally left GB to go play with his college buddy Derek Carr in Las Vegas: He knew that the Packers were unlikely to get to the SB again with Rodgers. 

I’m reminded of the difference between Peyton Manning and Rodgers regarding their sideline behavior when the defense was on the field.  Peyton would be sitting on the bench with his receivers and coaches around him looking at images of the defense’s set, studying how to beat it! 

Aaron, in contrast, would often be sitting alone, fiddling with his cap, or walking around: He didn’t display the competitive hunger that Peyton did.

While Aaron himself bears some responsibility for this lack of…energy, I also blame the coaches who didn’t sit him down with his receivers to study and plan how to beat their opponent’s defense.

So, I’m sorry that the Jets have found themselves 2-6 as I know you had high hopes that Aaron would take you back to the playoffs, and perhaps he’ll turn things around yet. 

But know that there are some of us who never saw the kind of competitive hunger or leadership that’s a hallmark of true winners.

Here’s wishing you all the best.   

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Captain Deep said:

Hello Jets Fans,

I’m a long-time Packers fan who was sad to see Aaron Rodgers go down last year knowing that ya’ll were really hoping for—and deserving of—a run to the playoffs (with hope for at least getting to the Super Bowl).

That said, I’ve never had much confidence in Aaron’s leadership or his commitment to winning, and rate him as the 3rd best Packers QB of all time behind Bart Starr at #1 and Brett Favre.

For all his talent and statistics, in all his years with Green Bay Aaron only went to—and won—one Super Bowl, and I believe there’s a reason why Davante Adams originally left GB to go play with his college buddy Derek Carr in Las Vegas: He knew that the Packers were unlikely to get to the SB again with Rodgers. 

I’m reminded of the difference between Peyton Manning and Rodgers regarding their sideline behavior when the defense was on the field.  Peyton would be sitting on the bench with his receivers and coaches around him looking at images of the defense’s set, studying how to beat it! 

Aaron, in contrast, would often be sitting alone, fiddling with his cap, or walking around: He didn’t display the competitive hunger that Peyton did.

While Aaron himself bears some responsibility for this lack of…energy, I also blame the coaches who didn’t sit him down with his receivers to study and plan how to beat their opponent’s defense.

So, I’m sorry that the Jets have found themselves 2-6 as I know you had high hopes that Aaron would take you back to the playoffs, and perhaps he’ll turn things around yet. 

But know that there are some of us who never saw the kind of competitive hunger or leadership that’s a hallmark of true winners.

Here’s wishing you all the best.   

I think it is easier to get away with being a douche if you back it up...Multiple MVP seasons, 48 tds to 5 ints, etc...allows for people to shrug it away.  Also, it makes it easier for people to follow you without putting in the work to build relationships and actual leadership.

Maybe he felt like he could do the same thing before the season.  But sitting here at 2-6, obviously a shell of himself, one ha to wonder if the players on the team don't even respect him because he isn't performing to the level that warrants respect based on what you see.

At this point. This needs to be it for him.  I said somewhere else. I am used to 2-6...but not with this talent and these expectations. I can watch Tim Boyle (maybe) lead us to 2-6...Aaron Rodgers? No way, it makes it worse.

40 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I never liked him but I was on board-I would root for satan if he could help score points-I now like Arod even less  which was a hard accomplishment.  

37 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think it is easier to get away with being a douche if you back it up...Multiple MVP seasons, 48 tds to 5 ints, etc...allows for people to shrug it away.  Also, it makes it easier for people to follow you without putting in the work to build relationships and actual leadership.

Maybe he felt like he could do the same thing before the season.  But sitting here at 2-6, obviously a shell of himself, one ha to wonder if the players on the team don't even respect him because he isn't performing to the level that warrants respect based on what you see.

At this point. This needs to be it for him.  I said somewhere else. I am used to 2-6...but not with this talent and these expectations. I can watch Tim Boyle (maybe) lead us to 2-6...Aaron Rodgers? No way, it makes it worse.

Yes, Aaron has brought some controversy his way due to (e.g.) his misleading statements about receiving a COVID-19 vaccine and stepping into politics (e.g., possible support for JFK Jr., etc.).  

He's put himself above his teammates at times, including his last year with Green Bay when he had a lot of new young receivers, and this year with the Jets, where he doesn't play in any pre-season games.  That last year in GB, it took him a few regular season games to get up-to-speed with his new receivers, and this is what likely kept the Packers out of the playoffs (i.e., loosing some of those early games).  

Again, I wish him no ill-will, however I hope that history will show that he's the 3rd best Packers QB (though Favre's antics off-the field has led to him loosing a LOT of credibility with many).