yet. What if it happened to him and for some reason it ended his

career before it even started. How are the rookies protected in a

case like that? Spermy??

The injury to Teague raised a question in my mind as to what if it was

Mangold who broke his ankle. The rookies haven't signed contracts

yet. What if it happened to him and for some reason it ended his

career before it even started. How are the rookies protected in a

case like that? Spermy??

They are and they aren't protected. To the best of my knowledge, the team certainly has the perogative to NOT offer a contract to that player (just as the player has the perogative to not sign a contract he doesn't like & hold out or even re-enter the draft the following year). But it's just not done. Players know their value will only be less the following year after not playing for a full season. And teams don't do it b/c high draft picks are seen (optimistically) as long-term investments anyway; their rookie season is not expected to be their best. Lower draft picks don't cost much so there's not much to save on the cap anyway. Nevermind how the team brass would look like monsters.

So what's the answer? The player would still be signed to a nearly identical contract based on his draft slot. The slotted salary is the "protection" the player gets. It happened with Buffalo's 3rd-round TE in 2005 (Kevin Everett). Blew out his knee or something during rookie or mini camp. They signed him anyway, likely to the same contract he would've received without the injury. Ki-Jana Carter also comes to mind, though I don't remember if his knee injury was before or after he signed his contract.

Players are also signed (even to first-round money) even when they are drafted with known injuries. Willis McGahee is about the best example I can think of. Blew out his knee in the senior bowl 3 mos before the draft. He didn't get any less of a SB and Buffalo (again Buffalo) clearly knew he wasn't going to get one carry as a rookie.

Archived