Steve Yzerman to announce Retirement

Mavrik

Red Wings to hold 1 p.m. ET news conference today

Today could be the day we find out about the future of Steve Yzerman.

And according to a report on TSN of Canada, he's expected to retire.

The Detroit Red Wings said they will make a "major announcement" today at a 1 p.m. ET news conference.

But TSN reported that Yzerman has told some of his close friends that he will announce his retirement.

"I can tell you that it involves Steve," Red Wings spokesman John Hahn told The Associated Press about the news conference. "I can't tell you what it's about."

Since the Red Wings were ousted in the first round of the playoffs by the Edmonton Oilers, Yzerman has toiled with the decision of whether to retire or return for a 23rd NHL season.

Yzerman, 41, has been Detroit's captain since 1986, making him the longest-serving captain in league history. He is one of the league's top all-time scorers and has led the Wings to 15 consecutive playoff appearances and three Stanley Cups.

A 10-time All-Star, Yzerman was named to the NHL's All-Rookie team in 1984, won the Lester B. Pearson Award honoring the league's outstanding player in 1989, the Conn Smythe Trophy honoring the playoff MVP in 1998 and helped Canada win gold at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

Yzerman was 18 when he joined the Red Wings in 1983. One of Detroit's most popular pro athletes, the soft-spoken player long known simply as "The Captain" is the Red Wings' all-time leader in playoff scoring. He ranks first in assists and second only to Gordie Howe in games played, goals and points in the regular season. Yzerman also finished last season with more regular-season and playoff points than any active NHL player.

After leading the Red Wings back from years of mediocrity to the top rank of the NHL, Yzerman's individual achievements were tempered with disappointing team results late in his career. After winning back-to-back Cups in 1997-98, Detroit lost in the first or second round in six of seven years, interrupted only by the 2002 Cup.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Today is officially a day of mourning in the Detroit area.

has anyone heard from GOB today???

Stevie Y was there for 22 years, 20 of them as Captain. Not a good day in Hockey Town. No disrespect to Messier, but for my money Stevie Y was the best captain in hockey.

Sad day for Wings fans and the rest of NHL Nation. Stevey Y has been playing since before I was born! I've seen the guy in some of his best years, it's going to be hard to watch the Wings and not see him on the ice.

Archived