Jets | Martin says he is getting better

Smizzy

Jets | Martin says he is getting better

Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:43:45 -0700

NewYorkJets.com reports New York Jets RB Curtis Martin (knee) addressed the media Saturday, July 29. "I am getting better. You all know that I am not trying to be rude, but there are some things that I can't talk about. I am not going to guess anything. I am not going to talk about my gut. I am a man of fortitude, it is like your mind is trained and after a period of time you think a certain way. I am used to thinking one way and I don't see that changing. The hardest thing for me is not being out there with the team. I am one of those guys who, and a lot of people talk about it, I am one of those guys who really believes in the whole team concept. As a leader of the team, I look at myself as one of those guys who likes to lead his team into battle." Martin did not seem to be thrilled to be on the PUP list, but he understood the team's decision.

:Typotux:

Curtis Martin will rush for 1,000+ yards in 2006. Period.

HOF Martin, 1st ballot.

hmmmm....not so sure about that. If Martin were coming into the season already healthy. I would say he will rush for 1000 yards. I do not know the extend of his injuries, but if he is still not 100% it can't be that good. I suspect there will be a running back by committee this season.

Also I think it's hard to get a 1st ballot hall-of-fame vote without the SB ring.

The only "injury" that he has is that from getting his knee cleaned out in December. He will be ready for the start of the regular season is the word coming out so with that I don't mind it all. He's 33 years old, coming off of a injury, there's no need for him to be out there practicing everyday anyways.

Curtis uncertain he can come back

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

875-martin_press.JPG

Curtis Martin stops short of promising he'll return to Jets, and questions linger over whether team is pushing him to retire.

While his teammates practice in the hot sun before cheering crowds at Hofstra, Curtis Martin works alone, trapped in a quiet building. He works in the weight room, in the film room and in the trainer's room, rehabbing his surgically repaired knee. It's his personal hell.

"To be honest, it hurts more than the physical pain, not being out there," the Jets' running back said yesterday in his first training-camp interview.

At 33, Martin could walk away, his legacy secure, but he still wants to play football. He made that clear. Whether he will play is a growing issue.

Given a chance to squash the speculation, Martin dodged. Asked if there's any doubt in his mind about playing this season, he replied: "I'm not going to comment on that at all."

Realizing his nonanswer could be turned into big headlines, Martin quickly added, "Please don't go and insinuate."

People close to the future Hall of Famer have clammed up in recent days when asked about Martin's injury, remarking, "Ask the Jets." Rookie coach Eric Mangini hasn't provided any details, saying only that Martin will be removed from the physically-unable-to-perform list when he's healthy enough to practice.

Friends say Martin did a lot of soul-searching before the start of camp, which suggests something was - is? - weighing on his mind. Connecting the dots, it's starting to seem as if the Jets are more troubled than Martin by the knee. Could they be nudging their esteemed all-time leading rusher toward retirement?

Martin didn't seem to agree with the club's decision to place him on the physically-unable-to-perform list, a notion echoed by some of his teammates. By rule, he can be activated at any time in the preseason, but he's such a workaholic that it has to be maddening to miss practice time.

"To be honest," he said, "it bothers me."

Diplomatic as ever, Martin refused to criticize the team's decision, saying, "I think, at some point in time, you become wise and you learn to just listen. Sometimes you have to set aside your own pride, and that's something I've definitely had to do."

Martin, only two years removed from the NFL rushing title, underwent arthroscopic surgery seven months ago. He was expected to be ready for training camp, but landed on the PUP list on the eve of camp.

With Martin out of the picture, the Jets have serious concerns in the backfield. Cedric Houston and Derrick Blaylock are sharing time, but neither is considered a No. 1 back. They also have rookie Leon Washington. The trade market could heat up in the coming weeks, with players such as Chris Brown (Titans), Thomas Jones (Bears) and Michael Bennett (Saints) rumored to be on the block. Remember, the Jets tried to trade for the Cowboys' Julius Jones in the spring.

For now, the story is Martin and his quest to overcome the biggest challenge of his career. He replied without hesitation when asked if he wants to play.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "I wouldn't be doing all this work for nothing. My fire will burn until the day I'm done with football. ... For me, it ends when it ends. Right now, that's not where my mind is at." The question is, do the Jets feel the same way?

Originally published on July 30, 2006

Interesting article Tabor and thanks for posting it. Somehow though I don't believe at all that the franchise is trying to push the best running back it's ever had out the door with like the article mentioned, no potentinal season long No.1 RB on the roster behind him.

Bennett? No thanks

Brown? I'd take, reminds me of Jordan for you Jordan lovers. A big bruiser.

T.Jones? In a heartbeat

J.Jones? If we don't get any of those backs and are out of the Adrian Peterson race next season we need to try to aquire him again.

Archived