A couple of new Canes with famous relatives

JetCane

James Has Impressive Day

Premium Story

Date: Aug 9, 2006

Freshman running back Javarris James had a productive day in the morning as the Hurricanes practiced in shells for the first time.

Head coach Larry Coker praised Javarris James today after practice for a solid performance.

"Javarris James really did a nice job as a young player," Coker said.

James has been the team's third running back so far this fall, but practiced with the first unit as the featured back while Charlie Jones and Derron Thomas were out with injuries. The coaches hope to have them tomorrow.

According to James he had some 10-15 yard runs as well as a 20-yard run today.

"I had a couple of good runs," James said. "I wouldn't call them big plays."

Today was the first day in shoulder pads, which is a lot different than being in shorts.

"It helps you out, but then it doesn't help you out," he explained. "There are big linebackers, like Jon Beason, coming after you and that is real hard."

Today linebacker Darryl Sharpton gave James a nice pop, which can be expected as a young player.

"It was a nice little hit, but I'm sure there will be more coming too," James said.

Like many players James likes being in pads as opposed to shorts.

"It is better being in pads than shorts," he added. "You get a better understanding of who is blocking who."

As a freshman, there are always adjustments to be made in college football. For James, it has been no different.

According to James the hardest adjustment is:

"Getting used to the flow of the game and trying to do too much," he said. "I am starting to calm down a little bit more. It has been pretty hard. When I first got here everything was moving fast, but things are starting to move slower now."

Although he has done well so far, there are things he still needs to work on.

"I have to work on my pass protection," he said. "Thats is the main thing."

Practice resumes tomorrow morning.

____

James is Edge's l'il cousin, and he looked great in this morning's practice, too.

Darryl Sharpton is Al Sharpton's nephew, and is projected as next year's starting MLB.

Archived