Should NY Jets target Treylon Burks in a trade?

Treylon Burks, Titans, NY Jets, Trade, Rumors Treylon Burks, Tennessee Titans, New York Jets, Getty Images

Should the New York Jets buy low on Titans WR Treylon Burks?

The New York Jets’ wide receiver room is… well, complicated.

On paper, it’s significantly improved from the 2023 lows that saw undrafted free agent Xavier Gipson play the starting slot receiver for a good chunk of the season. Adding Mike Williams and Malachi Corley should be significant insurance to draw coverage away from Garrett Wilson.

At the same time, there are many questions surrounding the unit. Williams is coming off a torn ACL and entering his age-30 season. Will he be healthy? Will he decline precipitously? Possession receivers who thrive on contested-catch ability tend to fall off without warning, and with his injury, that’s certainly a risk for Williams.

Corley, meanwhile, is a raw route-runner who ran a limited route tree against inferior college competition. He has some potential to be more than a YAC threat, but his inconsistent hands and route-running make him an unknown at the NFL level. He certainly could improve, but it’s not close to definite that he will.

And what of Allen Lazard? Jets fans are totally done with the Aaron Rodgers transplant, whose roster spot with the Jets is guaranteed simply because of his atrocious contract that guarantees his $10 million 2023 base salary. It’s not an exaggeration to say that Lazard was the NFL’s worst receiver in 2023, as he ranked dead last in yards per route run. Still, Lazard is likely entrenched as a starter in 11 personnel, at least for now. Even if Williams is fully healthy, the Jets are one injury away from being forced to rely on Lazard as a starter even if Corley cracks the starting lineup.

It’s the reliance on Lazard that has many Jets fans wishing for another receiver addition. The most likely options went off the free agent market recently, as D.J. Chark and Odell Beckham Jr. signed one-year deals elsewhere. The only other realistic free agent target seems to be Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who remains a possibility.

Still, what if the Jets explored the trade market? The Tennessee Titans just signed slot receiver Tyler Boyd, solidifying their starting receiving corps alongside DeAndre Hopkins and Calvin Ridley. That leaves Treylon Burks, the team’s 2022 first-round pick who has severely disappointed, definitively on the outside looking in. Would the Titans trade the former No. 18 overall pick to try to salvage something from their investment? If so, should the Jets be in?

Draft pedigree

Despite his lofty draft status, Burks has a red mark on his profile from Joe Blewett’s predraft evaluation of him. These are the weaknesses Blewett listed.

• Route running
  • Schemed open more than he got open
  • A lot of free releases
  • Uses size/strength over technique too often
  • Lacks consistent blocking effort
  • Hand usage can clean up to defeat CB
  • Can be more forceful/sell drive phase better
  • Needs to commit to stop/break and pivot steps in routes
  • Didn’t defeat press consistently
  • Didn’t run the full route tree
  • Can bow routes out
  • Doesn’t eat up enough space when threatening CB
  • Spacing in routes
  • Tries to one-hand catch when he can use two hands
  • Some drops
  • Lunges into stop steps
  • Rounded square cuts
  • Lots of dead time on back-breaking routes
  • Not as strong of a contested-catcher over the middle
  • Leans out of breaks
  • Needs to work short stems more
  • Can show frustration in body language
  • Needs more urgency/pace in routes
  • His effort is hot and cold
  • Limited release package
  • Loses balance too often
  • YAC is good but not great
  • Used in the backfield but not as a true running back

If route-running is the first big weakness for a first-round pick, that’s a big red flag. Other draft evaluations of Burks indicated that he would succeed in the NFL only as a big slot, rather like most receivers who struggle against man coverage (23rd percentile success rate vs. man, per Reception Perception).

Then again, perhaps Burks wasn’t worth a first-round pick but is still worth adding on the cheap.

By the numbers

Burks’ first two seasons in the NFL have labeled him a bust. He started out on the wrong foot by running out of gas in rookie minicamp and OTAs. A college coach accused him of lacking conditioning.

Across two seasons, Burks has accumulated just 49 receptions for 665 yards and 2 touchdowns in 22 games. That’s an average of 2.2 catches for 30 yards and 0.09 touchdowns per game, or 37.9 catches for 514 yards and 1.5 touchdowns per 17 games. His 0.83 yards per route run in 2023 ranked 100th out of 113 receivers with at least 29 targets, and his 20% drop rate ranked last. The bottom truly fell out in his second season.

That being said, Burks wasn’t quite as bad statistically as a rookie. His 1.28 yards per route run ranked 58th out of 80 receivers (min. 50 targets). While that’s significantly below average (28th percentile), it’s a viable mark for a depth receiver.

Role

As stated earlier, Burks struggles mightily against man coverage. Therefore, his ideal placement in the NFL is the slot, where he can gain free releases. The Jets already have a crowded slot room: Wilson, Corley, Lazard, and Gipson could all command slot snaps. It’s difficult to say that Burks is an upgrade over any of them, even Lazard and Gipson.

Even for a late-round pick, trading for Burks wouldn’t make much sense. He hasn’t shown he can play outside in the NFL. The Jets didn’t seem to show any interest in Boyd before he signed with Tennessee for $4.5 million, so why would they give up any draft capital for a player who is far worse?        

• Upvote 1

Like most trades depends on price. I’d send them the 3rd we just added this last draft and Lazard for him. But I’m sure he’d cost more than that. But a salary dump as well as an upgrade and youth at WR could be good.

But overall after adding Corley… I’m good with the WR group. 

• WTF? 1
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Like most trades depends on price. I’d send them the 3rd we just added this last draft and Lazard for him. But I’m sure he’d cost more than that. But a salary dump as well as an upgrade and youth at WR could be good.

a third? 

nah.

If they want to sell low I'd throw them a 5th or something. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A f**king 3rd??? You’re kidding, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

The jets have enough cap space to sign the rookies and for in season free agents to back fill for injuries 

the only way they can make any big moves is by trading Lazard with a post June 1 designation.  The cap savings would be like 10 million 

Not sure who would want Lazard though 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

the only way they can make any big moves is by trading Lazard with a post June 1 designation.

They have a number of different, easy things they can do to free up cap room if they need it. That said, not for a disappointing slot receiver. 

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

The jets have enough cap space to sign the rookies and for in season free agents to back fill for injuries 

the only way they can make any big moves is by trading Lazard with a post June 1 designation.  The cap savings would be like 10 million 

Not sure who would want Lazard though 

you've been crying poor all offseason and we've signed a bunch of guys. If they wanted Burks they could just extend Reed which they should do anyway, or rework Q.

12 minutes ago, slats said:

They have a number of different, easy things they can do to free up cap room if they need it. That said, not for a disappointing slot receiver. 

Yeah but didn’t you say extending Reed might not happen because of MC2? 

I think the jets like their WR room 

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

you've been crying poor all offseason and we've signed a bunch of guys. If they wanted Burks they could just extend Reed which they should do anyway, or rework Q.

Rework means lose space next year , thats how CJ wound up with a 21 million dollar cap number on a 16 million dollar contract   

extend Reed at the cost of losing MC2?

just pointing out the reality.  

JD is a year away from having to figure out his strategy for sauce, G5, JJ and Hall. 

This is just a click bait article anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeah but didn’t you say extending Reed might not happen because of MC2? 

Not at all. In fact, what I said was that the Jets should resign Reed even if that means letting MC2 walk. A Reddick extension does the same, simple job, and I’d be happy to lock him down for another couple seasons, too. 

Just now, slats said:

Not at all. In fact, what I said was that the Jets should resign Reed even if that means letting MC2 walk. A Reddick extension does the same, simple job, and I’d be happy to lock him down for another couple seasons, too. 

lol oops

If it’s that easy , why did they trade JFM for a bad of donuts? 

Just now, Larz said:

lol oops

If it’s that easy , why did they trade JFM for a bad of donuts? 

All part of their salary cap management. JFM’s contract was designed to be cut this year if he wasn’t outperforming it (he wasn’t), by trading him they saved even more. 

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rework means lose space next year , thats how CJ wound up with a 21 million dollar cap number on a 16 million dollar contract   

extend Reed at the cost of losing MC2?

just pointing out the reality.  

JD is a year away from having to figure out his strategy for sauce, G5, JJ and Hall. 

This is just a click bait article anyway. 

omg we're going to be poor forever now. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

omg we're going to be poor forever now. 

Where did I say that? They can trade Lazard , they just need to find a taker. 

the solutions you proposed have consequences.  No need to get dramatic about it 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

All part of their salary cap management. JFM’s contract was designed to be cut this year if he wasn’t outperforming it (he wasn’t), by trading him they saved even more. 

Right. That’s why you don’t keep borrowing from future years, you have a plan. 

I liked Burks a lot going into his draft year but the answer to this is no.

Why the hell did joe douglas not DRAFT another WR this year when a host of very promising guys were there in the mid rounds.

We had no need at all of another WR on draft day and were farting around with trades and taking two RBs but now all of a sudden we need another guy?

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Right. That’s why you don’t keep borrowing from future years, you have a plan. 

In your life’s plan, have you ever borrowed from the future? This is what every team in the NFL does. Every. Single. Team. Don’t even get me started on void years, ugh. 

Your complaint is moot, invalid, and otherwise null & void. Have a good day, sir. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

In your life’s plan, have you ever borrowed from the future? This is what every team in the NFL does. Every. Single. Team. Don’t even get me started on void years, ugh. 

Your complaint is moot, invalid, and otherwise null & void. Have a good day, sir. 

Complaint? I suggested they could clear room with a trade. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why the hell did joe douglas not DRAFT another WR this year when a host of very promising guys were there in the mid rounds.

We had no need at all of another WR on draft day and were farting around with trades and taking two RBs but now all of a sudden we need another guy?

Name one WR you wanted in “the middle rounds” that you think would’ve made a difference this year. Every complaint of yours about Douglas is generally whatever he chose to do vs. every other possible option under the sun. Why not try one without our beloved hindsight? 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Now you did it… you got him fake mad.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Name one WR you wanted in “the middle rounds” that you think would’ve made a difference this year. Every complaint of yours about Douglas is generally whatever he chose to do vs. every other possible option under the sun. Why not try one without our beloved hindsight? 

Hindsight?   I swear 90% of the time people drag out the word hindsight they have no clue what it means.  I've said months before, during and after the draft the jets should have taken another WR.

Take a look at the Green bay packers WR room, stacked with 5 or 6 young and very promising WRs and they are set now.  Why?  they actually have drafted multiple guys in drafts.

Round 4:  Troy Franklin, javon baker, devontez walker, jacob cowing

Round 5: Anthony Gould, Ainais Smith, Jabari Thrash

Round 6: Ja'Quan Jackons, Malik Washington, Ryan Flournoy

All quality Wr prospects in a Deep wr draft.

To find the Wr steals you have to actually draft them.   I'm sure we will bemoan our 'bad luck' when the next Puca Nakua, Stephon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Amon Ra-St Brown is round start gets drafted.   At least we drafted multiple guys in a positiom that is the easiest to find decent plug and play players that being RB.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Larz said:

Where did I say that? They can trade Lazard , they just need to find a taker. 

the solutions you proposed have consequences.  No need to get dramatic about it 

Not extending your #2 CB who has played at a high level also has consequences 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hindsight?   I swear 90% of the time people drag out the word hindsight they have no clue what it means.  I've said months before, during and after the draft the jets should have taken another WR.

Take a look at the Green bay packers WR room, stacked with 5 or 6 young and very promising WRs and they are set now.  Why?  they actually have drafted multiple guys in drafts.

Round 4:  Troy Franklin, javon baker, devontez walker, jacob cowing

Round 5: Anthony Gould, Ainais Smith, Jabari Thrash

Round 6: Ja'Quan Jackons, Malik Washington, Ryan Flournoy

All quality Wr prospects in a Deep wr draft.

To find the Wr steals you have to actually draft them.   I'm sure we will bemoan our 'bad luck' when the next Puca Nakua, Stephon Diggs, Antonio Brown, Amon Ra-St Brown is round start gets drafted.   At least we drafted multiple guys in a positiom that is the easiest to find decent plug and play players that being RB.

We have 2 high end starting wrs and used  a premium pick on another.  We have one of Rodgers favorite receivers and 2 up and coming 2nd year players.  

We didnt draft another reciever because we dont need another receiver.

We drafted 2 rbs cause we only had 2 on the roster.

Simple math boys.

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because we have Wilson, Williams, Conklin, Corley, and Hall

That in the most loaded offense this team has fielded in my lifetime and we are freaking out about upgrading WR4 

We already talked about having a Yards Per Route Run metric below 2 yards as being a 97-99% bust grade in pointing out that Corley is above 2 yards which bodes welll. I couldn't find Burks college YPRR average but his pro average is way below 2 yards.   

Not interested...

His 0.83 yards per route run in 2023 ranked 100th out of 113 receivers with at least 29 targets, and his 20% drop rate ranked last. The bottom truly fell out in his second season.

That being said, Burks wasn’t quite as bad statistically as a rookie. His 1.28 yards per route run ranked 58th out of 80 receivers (min. 50 targets). While that’s significantly below average (28th percentile), it’s a viable mark for a depth