FRIDAY AUG 18 - JETS ARTICLES

Sperm Edwards

Jets blog

Friday, August 18, 2006

Anatomy of night off

August 18, 2006

Those exchange problems between center Norm Katnik and QB Kellen Clemens led to the Jets getting their scheduled Thursday night meetings canceled.

Because Katnik and Clemens had been directed to work on their snaps in full pads a half-hour before Wednesday's practice, the rest of the team, coming out to work in "shells" (helmet, shoulder pads, shorts) decided as a show of solidarity to change to full pads.

"I thought that was admirable. That showed me a lot of progress as a team," Mangini said. "I wanted to give them an opportunity to reward themselves."

The method: To end Thursday's practice, two non-kickers had three tries to hit one 25-yard field goal. Clemens missed twice, safety Kerry Rhodes once. Finally, Mangini gave Mike Nugent the option of one kick -- from 50 yards.

Nugent nailed it. Night off.

-- Randy Lange

Jets: Taking a look at camp

Friday, August 18, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

LB/DE TREVOR JOHNSON

Trevor Johnson was asked if he studied film during the off-season of former Patriots standout Willie McGinest or any other player who lines up at the all-important linebacker/defensive end position he could be playing in the Jets' new 3-4 scheme.

Johnson, an Academic All-American who majored in finance at Nebraska, had an interesting response.

"I actually spent a lot of time trying to figure out a little more about offenses," he said. "I tried to study the different formations and stuff like that. What type of plays teams like to run."

Johnson, a seventh-round pick in 2004, is battling former first-round pick Bryan Thomas for the starting job. He has been a fringe player and special-teamer in his first two seasons (34 career tackles and eight special-teams stops) and it's somewhat of a surprise that the new regime thinks so highly of him.

At 6-4, 260 pounds, Johnson appears to have the size and athleticism to play the position. But to go from seventh-round pick to a possible starter in the NFL?

"No, I haven't pinched myself," he said, laughing. "To be honest, I don't think about stuff like that. I just go day-to-day, asking myself what can I do to get better and stay in this league.

"I know it can be taken away from me just like that and I could be back in Nebraska working a regular job. Now that I'm here, I want to stay here as long as I can."

If Johnson can succeed in coach Eric Mangini's multi-front, ever-changing defense, he can succeed anywhere. He'll be asked to rush the quarterback, play the run and get back in pass coverage, something he says he has done before despite playing defensive end all of his career.

In short, Johnson has to make plays.

"The position I'm playing definitely has to be a great playmaker," said Johnson, who missed seven games last season with a concussion. "I'm really just trying to go out every practice and learn as much as I can. The biggest thing is learning all of the different schemes and knowing how to put yourself in position to make big plays. It's kind of a process right now."

Who's hot

CB Omowala Dada had three breakups. ... QB Kellen Clemens hit rookie WR Brad Smith on a deep ball. ... K Mike Nugent hit a 50-yarder at the end of practice to save his teammates from attending night meetings.

Who's not

WR Justin McCareins had two drops. ... QBs Clemens and Patrick Ramsey fumbled snaps.

Coleman returns

Safety Erik Coleman, who underwent an appendectomy and missed nearly all of training camp, returned on a limited basis yesterday. He won't play tomorrow against the Redskins.

"It feels great to get back out there with my teammates," Coleman said. "It hurt me to watch them practice. It's nice to get back and contribute to the team."

Depth Chart

The Jets appear to have good depth at the offensive tackle position, for a change. Rookie left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and third-year right tackle Adrian Jones are the starters. Jones, who started at left tackle last season, is a solid backup at the vital left tackle spot.

Veteran Anthony Clements, entering his ninth season, is the backup at right tackle and is having a good camp. Marko Cavka and guard/tackle Steve Morley also are on the roster.

Injury report: Safeties Jamie Thompson (knee) and Mondoe Davis (undisclosed), CB Drew Coleman (knee), WR Dante Ridgeway (knee) and G Isaac Snell (knee) didn't practice.

5 QUESTIONS FOR DICK VERMEIL

August 18, 2006 -- This week, NYP TV Sports' Andrew Marchand spoke with Dick Vermeil of ESPN and the NFL Network. Vermeil, 69, will be an analyst on the back end of ESPN's Monday Night Football doubleheader on Sept. 11. He coached the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs, winning Super Bowl XXXIV with the Rams.

Q: You have been an NFL head coach and a TV analyst. What do you think of new Jet coach Eric Mangini's clamping down on the media?

A: Having worked both, I just know when you are starting out new you have to start out with the approach that fits your leadership style and how you want to get things done. You modify it as you gain experience.

Some guys will start with a semi-open-door policy. Some guys will start with a closed-door policy. It all varies depending upon the individual leader. There is no right or wrong.

Q: Do you think it affects the coverage?

A: What happens, that I see, when a person starts out on the tight side of media participation and it doesn't go well, the media gets more upset with him [in its coverage] than they do than if there is an open door.

Q: Last year, there were rumors about Herman Edwards leaving the Jets and ending up in Kansas City. Do you feel as if some people in New York misunderstood the situation?

A: First off, nobody knew that I was going to retire. I told Carl Peterson after we beat Denver [on Dec. 4] that this was going to be my last year, so no one could be talking to anyone about anything.

All that stuff about Herman coming to Kansas City prior was just rumor mill. Herman and I are close friends. We talked once a week, every Tuesday night late. I didn't know I was leaving.

Q: Have you totally closed the door on returning to coaching?

A: Yes, I have. First off, nobody is going to open it at almost 70 years old. It is time. I thought it would be unfair to the Chiefs to stay there one year at a time.

Q: People always make a big deal about your crying. Does it bother you that they do?

A: It used to bother me. In fact, it used to bother me personally. I'm a very emotional guy, especially when I'm talking about somebody or something I really sincerely care about. I learn not to go that way, that far, to hold back being emotional, but sometimes it just happens.

Quite often when I go out for pregame warm-ups, someone will yell at me, "Vermeil, why don't you cry for me?'' And I say, "Stick it in your [behind.] You don't have a clue.'' When you are really

passionate about something and care about the people you are involved with, that draws the emotion from me. It always has and it always will.

Jets Notebook

Friday, August 18, 2006

Coleman's climb

Safety Erik Coleman suited up for practice Thursday for the first time since the opening day of camp, even taking limited reps with the first defense.

Afterward, Coleman, like his boss, coach Eric Mangini, would not say the "A-word." Asked about the appendectomy that kept him sidelined, Coleman joked with reporters: "Y'all are trying to get me in trouble."

The closest he would come was in saying, "My illness was very painful."

Now Coleman's climb turns to passing the players in front of him.

Rookie Eric Smith had been working in his place in practice. Then Derrick Strait started at free safety against Tampa Bay and, fresh off the voiding of his trade to Cleveland for running back Lee Suggs, was back in that spot during the defense's work against the scout team for Saturday's game at Washington.

Alpha male

Mangini has caused a stir among fans and media types by continuing to list his players at each position on his depth chart only alphabetically.

"I had asked how people listed them and I was told sometimes it's numerically, sometimes by experience, and I said, just list it alphabetically," he said. "In the preseason, there's so much flux and so many players playing and we have great competition on this team. ... I didn't realize I was breaking ground there."

TV and radio crews working the Redskins game and the final two home exhibitions vs. the Giants and the Eagles will find the Jets' depth chart also will be alphabetical, as it was for Tampa Bay.

Mangini said he will "review" his approach for, say, the Sept. 10 opener at Tennessee, but a league spokesman said the NFL mandates that "by the first week of the season, clubs must provide depth charts by order of first-string on down."

Briefs

Chad Pennington has a serious illness in his family. He was excused from Thursday's practice and his availability for Washington was uncertain. ... CB David Barrett made a juggling, stumbling interception of a tipped Patrick Ramsey pass and returned it for a TD.

-- Randy Lange

JETS NOTEBOOK

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

August 18, 2006

For the third straight day, the Jets welcomed a player back to the defensive secondary. First, it was David Barrett, who came back from a groin injury Tuesday. Then Derrick Strait came back from his overnight trip to Cleveland, thanks to the voided Lee Suggs deal. Then yesterday, Erik Coleman took the field for the first time since he had an appendectomy after the first day of training camp.

"I feel pretty good," Coleman said, wary to confirm the exact nature of his "illness" under the team rules of discussing injuries. "I tested everything and I'm good to go."

Coleman played in some seven-on-seven drills but didn't take many snaps in 11-on-11s. After starting at safety in every game of his two-year career, he will try to make a push for the top spot with less than a week left in training camp. "I can't really control that," he said, "but I can go out there and work hard and try to make plays and be a leader."

Pressure kick

Mike Nugent made the first pressure kick of the season, a 50-yarder at the end of practice. Because he made it, the team had its evening meetings canceled.

That wasn't the original wager, though. On Wednesday, QB Kellen Clemens and C Norm Katnik were on the field in full pads for a half hour before practice working on their exchanges, which have been flubbed on a daily basis nearly all week. The rest of the team was supposed to practice in just helmets and shoulder pads, but when they saw Clemens and Katnik in full equipment, they decided they would go full, too. That touched Mangini, who offered to cancel the meetings if an offensive or defensive player could kick a field goal.

When Clemens and S Kerry Rhodes missed, the team implored Mangini to give Nugent a shot. The second-year kicker put his first kick through the uprights.

Despite their extra work, Clemens and Katnik botched another snap yesterday and had to run a lap. Patrick Ramsey and Charles Missant had the same thing happen to them.

jetslede08182006.jpg

CEDRIC SAYS HE'S CAPABLE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 18, 2006 -- It's not in Cedric Houston's nature to make a lot of noise. Yet, with the various machinations that have taken place with regard to the Jets' questionable running attack, you wouldn't blame him for wanting to scream out: "Hey, don't forget about me!"

Curtis Martin, the Jets' incumbent Hall of Fame-bound back, obviously is not being counted on, based on the team's actions.

So there's been much talk about the shoddy shape the Jets' running game is in without Martin.

Then the Jets went out and gained 44 yards on 16 carries against Tampa Bay in the first preseason game, raising more questions, complaints and concerns.

And, finally, the Jets this week made their first public acknowledgement that their running back situation is less than desirable when they traded for Cleveland Browns back Lee Suggs.

The Jets called the move more about gaining depth than anointing Suggs a backfield savior.

Suggs was failed on his physical by the Jets' medical people, leaving the team with exactly what they had in the first place: Houston, Derrick Blaylock and rookie Leon Washington.

"I definitely feel I can be an every-down back and start in this league," Houston said.

The next step toward proving that to the Jets' coaching staff takes place tomorrow night in Washington, where the Jets play the Redskins in a preseason game.

"We're definitely looking forward to getting the running game established in this game to show people what we have to bring to the table," Houston said.

The second-year back (6 foot, 220 pounds) started the final four games of the 2005 season after Martin was shut down with loose cartilage in his right knee. Houston finished with 302 rushing yards on 81 carries for a 3.7-yard average.

"Ced' is a good kid," Pete Kendall said. "He's worked hard since he got here. He did a nice job finishing for us last year. He gave tremendous effort at the end of last season."

Houston's best performance came against the Dolphins when he gained a career-high 84 yards on 15 carries a week after rushing for 74 yards on 28 carries against Oakland.

"We prepared for Cedric when I was at the other place (New England)," Eric Mangini said. "He has very good balance and he is a physical runner. Playing in the secondary, when you come in to tackle Cedric, you better be ready to tackle. He's not going to run out of bounds; he's going to force you to make contact.

"I like that about Cedric. I like the way that he is able to maintain his balance on contact. That is a positive trait as well. I have seen him from the other side and those are things that were true then and are true now."

Houston takes pride in being physical.

"Obviously, I'm not a speed back," he said. "I see myself as a slasher type of back who could be a bruiser. I try to punish the defense before it has a chance to punish me."

Houston said last season as a rookie he simply tried to run as hard as he could without worrying about blocking or where the holes were developing. This year, he's studying defenses more and trying to patiently wait for his blocks to develop.

"I've got a lot more confidence out there now," he said. "I'm learning more and more about defenses, watching film and seeing what I was doing right and wrong."

If it all works out for Houston and he earns the starting job, or considerable playing time, it would make for a great homecoming in the Jets' opening game, which is Sept. 10 in Tennessee, where he went to college.

"I'm definitely not getting that far ahead yet," Houston said. "I'm just trying to get through camp, make plays, and get the coaches' attention."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

McCareins losing battle at WR

Friday, August 18, 2006

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- On the Jets' wide receiver market watch, Jerricho Cotchery is the hot stock while Justin McCareins is trending lower.

Cotchery's rise has been easy to see. The third-year man is having a strong camp with one eye-popping reception after another. In the Tampa Bay preseason opener, he had a fade pass from Kellen Clemens punched out of his hands in the end zone, but he also made what Clemens labeled "a heck of a catch" on a timing route for 19 yards to move the Jets toward the red zone.

"I've still got some learning to do in the system, but right now I'm pretty comfortable," Cotchery said this week. "I just want to be at that point where it all should just be second nature."

One reason Cotchery is closing in on that goal is because he's reunited with Noel Mazzone, his North Carolina State coordinator who became the Jets' wide receivers coach in February.

"Obviously, that doesn't give me a heads-up on anyone out there," he said. "But it's good to have somebody who's familiar with the way you play, the way you approach the game."

Specifically, Cotchery said, Mazzone noticed he wasn't being as physical getting off the line against bump coverage.

"There's things he's brought back that I kind of got away from," he said. "Just attacking the defensive back, that's mostly it. I kind of got away from that last year. I was dancing at the line a little bit."

Mazzone has not yet been made available by coach Eric Mangini to talk with reporters, but Mangini has said of Cotchery, "For the most part, he's done well. He's a tough, physical guy who gives you a presence in the running game I really like."

And the feeling among the staff still here from the Herm Edwards era is that after getting only 25 catches and 350 offensive plays his first two seasons combined, it's time for him to play a lot more and have a 50- or 60-catch season.

Guess whose bank account those catches are likely to come out of? McCareins, in his third season as a Jet and sixth as a pro, has become somewhat disoriented.

His camp began with a failed conditioning test. Even though he passed it two days later, he's found himself rotating with Cotchery at the "Z" or flanker position. McCareins started against Tampa Bay, but Cotchery has been with the first offense all this week and is a likely starter at Washington on Saturday.

Additionally, McCareins, who's been the "Z" his previous two seasons , has been getting reps for the first time behind Laveranues Coles at the "X" or split end spot.

"Honestly, I don't ... let me think about what I'm going to say," McCareins said Thursday about possibly having lost his starting job. "I'm doing what I'm told. Jerricho, Tim [Dwight] have been playing well. It's on [the coaches], what they want to do with me and where they think I play the best role."

Mangini said McCareins "has made some nice strides the past couple of weeks" and praised two nice Wednesday receptions and his improved blocking.

Thursday, McCareins added a strong 35-yard post-route snare of a perfect Patrick Ramsey spiral against Andre Dyson's close coverage.

Despite suggestions he could be on the trading block as the Jets keep looking for a running back and a nose tackle, McCareins is holding onto the positive attitude he's had since his arrival and that Mangini demands of all his players.

"With the new staff, things are run a lot differently," McCareins said. "A guy like myself is focusing on improving what I need to improve and trying to be the best player I can, to contribute where they want me to contribute."

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

Jets: McCareins not catching on

Friday, August 18, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets wide receiver Justin McCareins insists he's happy. He says there's no place else he'd rather be. He claims he loves New York.

But things haven't turned out quite the way anyone expected when the Jets obtained him before the 2004 season from the Tennessee Titans for a second-round pick. And the situation hit rock bottom when he failed his conditioning test at the start of training camp and was the first high-profile resident of coach Eric Mangini's doghouse.

Since then, McCareins has been working to get back in the coaching staff's good graces but has lost his starting job to third-year pro Jerricho Cotchery and appears to be prime trade bait as the Jets search for a running back and nose tackle.

The emergence of Cotchery, rookie Brad Smith and third-year free agent Reggie Newhouse has made McCareins expendable. On Tuesday, McCareins was working with the third team.

"It's obviously not the most positive way you want to start camp, what happened to me, but all I can do is continue to look forward," McCareins said. "I had a little bit of a rough start. I had to get my legs back and get my head together and get involved in my playbook a little bit more.

"But I still feel good about what I'm doing and I'm continuing to improve. I feel I'm a better player than I've ever been. I'm excited about the season."

It doesn't seem that way. The usually happy-go-lucky McCareins has been downcast and on edge. His effervescent smile is gone.

"Yes, I'm happy here," he said. "I'm just trying to focus on what I have to do. I'm very happy here with what I'm doing. I'm very happy with the coaching staff and playing here in New York. It may seem like I'm unhappy but that's just me being focused."

Mangini has been lukewarm in his praise of McCareins and appears to be making an example out of the veteran. Mangini called McCareins out when he failed the conditioning test, something most coaches wouldn't do to a player of McCareins' veteran stature.

Yesterday, Mangini said McCareins has made "some great strides" during camp and nothing should be read into his place on the depth chart.

McCareins, 27, came to the Jets with a reputation of being a big-time receiver with blazing speed. In his final season with the Titans, the 6-2, 215-pounder had 47 catches for 813 yards and seven touchdowns. He averaged 17.3 yards per catch.

But in two seasons with the Jets, McCareins has caught just 99 passes for 1,483 yards (14.9-yard average) and hasn't been the home run hitter the Jets thought they were getting. Last season was a down year for all the Jets receivers as their quarterback situation imploded.

Even so, despite McCareins' size, he's not a physical wide receiver and that may be why the new regime has doubts about him. Mangini has raved about the toughness of wide receiver Laveranues Coles. Veteran Tim Dwight and Cotchery also play more physical than McCareins.

"Obviously, last season was disappointing, not just personally but as a team and that's what you have to look at first," McCareins said. "Are we winning games and are we successful as a team and what can I do to play a role in our success.

"I definitely haven't reached my potential as a player. I still feel I have a lot of things I can show about what kind of player I am and that's what I'm looking to do."

McCareins says he likes the Jets new offense under coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and thinks it'll give everyone a chance to excel.

"I like this offense because of how flexible coach Schottenheimer is and how many looks we'll show a defense," McCareins said. "It makes it hard for teams to key on specific players or specific plays. It's a wide-open offense and you can see anything any week that we play.

"You have to ask coach about (the depth chart). But we're still in the preseason and I see myself as a receiver who can help this team win. Whatever the coaches decide to do with me, I have to respect that."

New Team, Old Scenario

As With the Redskins, Jets' Ramsey Is Vying for Starter's Job

By Les Carpenter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, August 18, 2006; E01

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Aug. 17

PH2006081701695.jpg

The difference comes with a rumble. Outside the New York Jets' practice fields hums the sound of commerce making its way across Long Island. Trucks brake, horns blast, buses expectorate little black clouds. On the sidelines, a stand of giant speakers pumps music at window-shaking volumes.

Patrick Ramsey, in his second chance at NFL stardom, has chosen to live just down the street from this mayhem. The closer to get to work every morning.

But for a Southern gentleman accustomed to the more pastoral setting of his old home outside Leesburg, this is, well, something of a shock. Not that he has much time to fret about the decibel levels of his new life. Noise is the least of his concerns these days. For in the fourth training camp of his professional career, Ramsey, 27, has found himself in a fight he may not be able to win.

The Jets need a quarterback, and with a new coach there are supposed to be no holdovers, which means Ramsey -- whose future with the Washington Redskins had dried up by the second week of last season -- came here with a viable chance to become the starter. It has turned out to be such a viable chance that he is not just battling one player as he did in his Redskins days when Mark Brunell was the competition, he is fighting with three others, including Chad Pennington. And in the secretive world of Jets Coach Eric Mangini no one seems to know exactly where he stands.

There is an assumption that Ramsey will get his best chance to win the job Saturday night at , of all places Fed ExField, in an exhibition game with the Redskins. But that was an assumption based on the fact Pennington had to suddenly leave the team Thursday because of an illness in the family and a vague response Mangini gave when asked the other day if he thought Ramsey will play more on Saturday.

"I think we are going to try and get all of the quarterbacks involved over the weekend," Mangini said.

Around the Jets these days, that's as detailed an answer as anyone is going to get.

This led to a troupe of television reporters surrounding Ramsey to ask him about the big opportunity he is going to have against the Redskins.

"I have no idea what we're doing Saturday," Ramsey replied. "I'm not sure when I will know. You guys have told me that he hopes to play me more this week, but he hasn't told me yet."

And so goes Ramsey's great chance with the Jets. Every day he pulls on his red No. 11 practice jersey and his Jets helmet, then heads to the field where the speakers blast Guns N' Roses and he works equally with the starters and the scrubs as all the quarterback candidates do with little indication as to whether they're No. 1 or No. 4.

The best guess is that he is probably right where he was last season, as a No. 2, behind Pennington, who was supposed to be the quarterback of the future in New York until injuries took hold. But Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens continue to get the same opportunities as Pennington and Ramsey, so no one really knows for sure. And Mangini isn't about to drop hints, either with a depth chart or an indication of how many series each quarterback will play against the Redskins.

If this lack of certainty bothers Ramsey he won't show it. Instead he gives a small smile and a helpless look.

"Really, honestly, we are so busy we haven't heard anything. I haven't seen anything," Ramsey said. "What I'm focusing on is what I'm doing and I'm concentrating on my job, whether I'm starting or being the supportive guy and not starting. I think what you do is go out there and let the coaches make that decision and fulfill that role from there."

He has been besieged by questions from the New York media about his return to Washington, the standard query wondering how much lust for revenge churns inside of him given the way he lost his job as Redskins quarterback a week into last season. He laughs these suggestions off as nimbly as he bushed away similar questions last fall.

If anything, he said, there will be a comfort in playing in the only NFL home stadium he has known. If Saturday really does become his great opportunity and he gets to play much of the first half, this could be a help.

But as for his feelings about what happened while with the Redskins?

"I'm honestly past it," he said. "I had a lot of opportunities there, they were sporadic but I had a lot of opportunities."

So what happened?

He smiled.

"It is what it is," he said. "It happened. I firmly believe this was God's plan and it worked out."

It was the man who took his job who helped him cope. Through everything the last two seasons, Brunell and Ramsey became close friends, sharing among other things a Christian faith. As a result, they did plenty together. And it was Brunell, who had been through similar moments in his career, who counseled him, talking him through the toughest days.

In fact they still talk regularly. Just Wednesday morning, they spoke on the phone so they could make arrangements for Brunell to get Ramsey's wife a parking pass for Saturday's game.

Mostly the memories are good ones, Ramsey said, even in the weeks after he lost his job for good and had to watch Brunell move the offense that was supposed to have been fine-tuned for him.

"It was fun, really," Ramsey said. "We were winning there the last couple of months. We went to the playoffs and we were having a good time. Even though I wasn't playing, I was going to the playoffs and was part of a team that was in the playoffs and that was a new experience for me and I was trying to learn from it. We were successful and if I wasn't there and I was somewhere else I wanted to carry that over to someplace."

So he studied those last few games, he watched as the Redskins came together. He watched as they kept pulling out games they could have lost and he took note of what he was seeing. Once the season was over and it was clear he would not remain in Washington, he waited for his agent, Jimmy Sexton, to call him with a trade. It happened on March 18 when he was sent to the Jets for a sixth-round pick.

"I was excited," he said. "It was an opportunity to go someplace and compete for a job."

Which he apparently is still doing now, even as his exact status remains unclear.

"Especially over the last few days he's done a really good job of knowing where to go with the football and he's made some good reads," Mangini said Thursday.

This will have to be enough for Ramsey to hold onto as he straps on his helmet and steps back into the blare of the music and his great new chance to be a quarterback star.

Just another game for Jets' Coles, Ramsey

By ANDREW GROSS

agross@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 18, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — Buzz is often scarce around preseason games, so Jets quarterback Patrick Ramsey and wide receiver Laveranues Coles returning to Washington tomorrow to face the Redskins, their former team, isn't bad copy.

Just don't try to sell that to Ramsey or Coles.

"It's just another game,'' Coles said. "For me I've always forgiven but I've never forgotten.''

Coles bolted the Jets for Washington as a free agent in 2002. He was re-acquired in exchange for Santana Moss prior to last season after a dispute with coach Joe Gibbs over whether he needed toe surgery.

Ramsey, in a four-way quarterback competition with Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger and rookie Kellen Clemens, may start after getting only one series in the Jets' preseason opener at Tampa Bay.

Coach Eric Mangini likely will not name his starter publicly — he didn't for the Buccaneers game — but he did announce yesterday that Pennington had been excused from practice for personal reasons to tend to a family illness. Mangini said it was undetermined whether Pennington would accompany the team to Washington or play in the game.

"I want Chad to make sure that he's able to focus on his family and take care of the things that he needs to take care of,'' Mangini said.

Like Coles, Ramsey's tenure with the Redskins, first under Steve Spurrier then Gibbs, was not smooth. He started 24 of his 33 games in four seasons before being dealt to the Jets for a sixth-round pick in March.

But he received little protection in Spurrier's scheme and Gibbs quickly yanked him last season in favor of Mark Brunell, who still became one of Ramsey's closest friends with the two sharing strong religious beliefs.

"Really, my only thoughts when I get an opportunity is to go in there and play and play well,'' Ramsey said. "That's the honest truth. I know it's hard to believe.''

Coles, of course, is entrenched as the Jets' No. 1 receiver, even if he claims he does not know what his role is under Mangini. But Pennington has clearly outplayed the other three during training camp.

Yesterday at Hofstra, Ramsey, who has the strongest arm of the four, did connect with Coles on a nice route. But he also fumbled a snap from center Charles Missant (the two had to run a punishment lap) and had a pass picked off as cornerback David Barrett tipped the ball to himself.

Tomorrow could be Ramsey's best chance to prove himself.

"I don't know when they will decide that,'' Ramsey said. "They see you daily in practice and they know the things you do well and the things you need to improve on. They also see how you handle the pressure of game situations.''

Coles, meanwhile, said he hasn't had time to think about the Redskins because Mangini's camp has been so tough. He did admit he might feel a little different about playing in Washington if it were a regular-season game.

"Do you see what I've been going through?'' Coles said. "You don't think about Washington. You think about what you have going on here. That's what I'm dealing with.''

Camping out

Eye-opener: First-year coach Eric Mangini abandoned the script and showed a little of his personality at his daily press conference. At 35, he's the youngest coach in the NFL. And he likes that. "I was the youngest of five,'' Mangini said. "I was the youngest guy on the coaching staff in Cleveland. I was a young DB coach. I was a young defensive coordinator. I hope I stay young for a long time. … I'd much rather be a young guy than be described as the older guy.''

Rookie watch: CB Omowale Dada, an undrafted free agent out of Washington State, knocked away Patrick Ramsey's 30-yard pass intended for rookie WR Wallace Wright in the back right corner of the end zone. "Wale is a guy that stood out in the spring and early in camp with a high motor, high effort, good communication and the ability to work at different positions,'' Mangini said.

Training room: S Jamie Thompson (leg), CB Drew Coleman (leg), WR Dante Ridgeway (leg), G Isaac Snell (leg), S Mondoe Davis (undisclosed) and RB Curtis Martin (knee) remain sidelined.

Competition: Third-year S Erik Coleman, who has started all 32 of his NFL games, returned to the field after missing all but the first day of practice because of an appendectomy. In keeping with team policy, Coleman could not discuss the reason for his absence. "It was a very painful process, it was a lot of pain but everything worked out and I'm back and happy to be here,'' said the 5-foot-10, 200-pound Coleman, who had four interceptions and two sacks as a rookie and made 121 tackles last season. Coleman said he wasn't sure if he would play in tomorrow night's preseason game at Washington, but if he's healthy, there's little doubt he and Kerry Rhodes will be the starting safeties once the regular season begins.

Andrew Gross

Ramsey warms up

Blessed with arm strength, he'll get good long look vs. old team

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

August 18, 2006

Most players attack a preseason game trying to prove their value to one team. Patrick Ramsey enters tomorrow night's contest against the Redskins with a message for both sidelines.

Ramsey, once the starting quarterback in Washington who was traded to the Jets for a sixth-round draft pick in March, could see a bulk of the action after taking just three snaps in the preseason opener. It's a chance to not only make the Redskins sorry for burying him on their depth chart and dealing him away, but also to make the Jets feel more comfortable with him on the field.

Chad Pennington is tending to a family illness that caused him to miss yesterday's practice, according to coach Eric Mangini, and he might not be available for the game. That makes Ramsey's performance even more realistic. He was brought to the Jets to compete for the starting job but also to serve as a backup in case Pennington's twice-repaired shoulder gives out. Mangini is big on simulations. Without Pennington, tomorrow's game could play a big part in determining the quarterback pecking order.

"Really, my only thoughts are that when I get an opportunity to go in there and play, I play well," he said. "That's the honest truth. I know it's hard to believe."

Ramsey admitted looking forward to the Washington game for a chance to see old friends and family. He said he is close with current Redskins Mark Brunell and offensive tackle Jon Jansen. Plus his family is moving from Louisiana to the New York area and making a stop at FedEx Field to watch the game.

"I did spend a lot of time there [Washington] and enjoyed my time there," he said. "I think you can take away from it what you want."

Pennington was easily the most competent quarterback early in training camp. He looked stronger than he was last summer, when he returned from his first shoulder surgery, and seemed to catch on to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's new system. But Ramsey has made a push up the ladder. He's gone from looking befuddled to showcasing his arm strength. Yesterday, he hit a streaking Justin McCareins on a pass that went about 50 yards in the air.

"Patrick has great arm strength and really tremendous natural abilities," Mangini said. "Especially over the last few days, he's done a really good job understanding exactly where to go with the football and made some quality reads. I've been really encouraged by that."

Officially, Mangini has not named a starting quarterback for the season, though Pennington played with the first team in the first game. Ramsey's only action in last Friday's preseason opener was three snaps in the fourth quarter, as he completed 2 of 3 passes. That wasn't enough to judge him, even though he has had his turn as the "starting quarterback" throughout training camp, thanks to Mangini's rotation of Pennington, Ramsey, rookie Kellen Clemens and Brooks Bollinger. Bollinger did not take any snaps last Friday.

"They see you daily in practice and there are things you do well and things you need to improve on," Ramsey said. "But also in a game, they have an opportunity to see how you handle the pressure of a game-like situation. I think it's important that you have to do well in both situations."

Tomorrow

Jets at Redskins

Preseason game

8 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

Jets: Pennington could miss Redskins

Friday, August 18, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets quarterback Chad Pennington missed practice yesterday because of a "family illness" and his status for tomorrow night's preseason game at Washington is uncertain.

Yesterday's practice was the last full practice before the game. The Jets will have only a walk-through practice today.

If Pennington is unavailable, former Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey may get the start. Ramsey spent four seasons with the Redskins before the Jets acquired him for a sixth-round pick in March.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said he has been and will stay in constant contact with Pennington and is unsure if he'll play against the Redskins.

"I want Chad to make sure he can focus on his family," Mangini said. "That's real important. That's where his focus should be right now. ... As far as a timetable for his return, I'll talk to Chad about that."

Chad misses practice

Jets QB Chad Pennington was excused from practice yesterday because of a "family illness," according to Eric Mangini. The coach said Pennington's status for tomorrow night's preseason game in Washington is uncertain.

"I want Chad to make sure he's able to focus on his family and take care of the things he needs to take care of," Mangini said. "I think that's really important and I'll be talking to him quite a bit."

Pennington was scheduled to work yesterday with the starting offense, based on Mangini's four-man quarterback rotation. Patrick Ramsey and Brooks Bollinger wound up sharing the first-team reps, which are at a premium because of the daily rotation.

Mangini wants to take a good look at Ramsey and Bollinger against the Redskins, so it's possible that Pennington might be limited even if he does make the trip.

Pennington, rebounding from his second shoulder surgery, has been one of the surprises of training camp. Though Mangini has withheld an announcement on his starting quarterback, it's obvious that the job belongs to Pennington.

notebook.gif

SAFETY STRONGER: SS Erik Coleman, who underwent an appendectomy, returned to practice. He was limited, skipping most of the team drills. He's not likely to play against the Redskins. He hadn't practiced since July 29, the first day of camp.

NOT IN THE RUNNING: 49ers coach Mike Nolan confirmed talks with the Jets about the availability of RB Kevan Barlow, but he said the discussions weren't serious and he assured Barlow he wasn't going to be traded.

Another player on the Jets' radar, Falcons backup RB T.J. Duckett, sounded as if he's lobbying for a trade.

"I'm looking for a big year with some breakout runs," Duckett told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I want to get it out there that I want to be a feature back.

The Jets want to acquire a back to help replace the injured Curtis Martin.

Rich Cimini

Originally published on August 18, 2006

Herm's return draws no attention

Friday, August 18, 2006

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

EAST RUTHERFORD -- As he spoke to reporters after Kansas City's 17-0 preseason loss to the Giants on Thursday night, Herm Edwards was constantly moving his right leg, as he had put his right foot on a small wooden ledge on the back of the podium.

Typical. Even when Edwards appears to be standing still, he's in motion.

It seems as if he hasn't stopped moving since January, when he left to coach the Chiefs with two years remaining on his Jets' contract. And he barely paused to look back, even in his first visit to Giants Stadium since the Jets' season finale on Jan. 1.

"It was kind of strange," admitted Edwards, who guided the Jets to the playoffs three times. "I had a great time when I was here. That's about the extent of it. When I look back at my life, I think about all the good things."

But, he added, "That's all in the past. My focus is on what we're trying to accomplish here."

By here, he meant his new home, Kansas City. And even the ultra-positive Edwards couldn't put a rosy spin on what happened in this game.

"We didn't play with a lot of intensity," he said. "[We] have to play with a sense of urgency. We didn't play like we're capable of playing."

For the second straight week, a team expected by many to get to the playoffs found itself down 14-0 in the first half. The Chiefs, who lost their preseason opener to Houston last week, were outgained, 309-111 by the Giants, and much of that was because of the dominance of the Giants' starters against the Chiefs' first unit.

Edwards said that part of the problem on defense was the absence of rookie defensive end Tamba Hali of Teaneck, who sat out for the second straight week with a rib injury. The coach said he hopes Hali will return to practice next week.

Edwards was his usual self before the game. While the Giants' offensive starters were being introduced, Edwards hugged starting quarterback Trent Green as he gave him some last-minute instruction.

It was reminiscent of the way Edwards and another quarterback who wears No. 10 -- Chad Pennington -- used to bond before Jets' games. While none of the Jets' players or coaches was there Thursday, director of player personnel Terry Bradway was.

But, other than Edwards getting to see some familiar faces who work at the stadium, there was no fanfare, and, it seemed, no fan reaction, either. Obviously, the fact that this was a preseason game, and a Giants' home game at that, negated some of the possible reaction.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Archived