JETS ARTICLES - THU

Sperm Edwards

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cautiousjets&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jets wary of gaudy numbers allowed by Lions' secondary

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

October 18, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Chad Pennington has seen the gaudy numbers opposing offenses have put up against the Detroit Lions. He's trying not to get too excited about the potential for a huge passing game.

"I think their stats are deceiving, really," the New York Jets quarterback said Wednesday.

But the numbers tell a different story. The Lions' passing defense is ranked 30th in the NFL, ahead of only Houston and Green Bay, and has allowed nearly 248 yards a game passing. Detroit has also allowed 13 touchdown passes against only two interceptions.

"I'm very wary of those statistics because when you look at them, you can say, `Wow ... we can put a lot of points on the board and do a lot of different things,"' Pennington said. "But they have a lot of playmakers on their defense and they play very fast. You can't just walk out there and expect to run up and down the field on these guys."

The Jets have hardly done that against any opponent this season, but they have been more of a passing team than in previous years -- partly because of the running game's struggles. New offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's game plan has allowed Pennington to throw down the field more often than in previous years.

"I think there's shots in every game that are there," coach Eric Mangini said. "And one of the things that we want Chad to do, and one of the things Chad's done, is take what the defense gives you and take advantage of opportunities when they're there."

Pennington is among the AFC leaders with a 90.9 quarterback rating, throwing for 1,261 yards and eight touchdowns and five interceptions. Laveranues Coles has re-established himself as one of football's top wide receivers with 38 catches -- tied for third in the NFL -- for 537 yards, second in the league. Jerricho Cotchery (23 catches, 339 yards) is also having a breakout season, catching more passes in six games than he did in his first two seasons combined.

"Our coaches are doing a great job of playing to the strengths of our players," Pennington said. "I think that's important that you look at the weapons that you have, you play to their strengths, you do things that put them in good positions to make plays -- and that's what Coach Schottenheimer and all the offensive coaches have done a great job of."

Teams have made a point of exploiting the Lions' secondary, which includes cornerbacks Fernando Bryant and Dre' Bly and safeties Terrence Holt and rookie Daniel Bullocks. Former Jet Jon McGraw, Jamar Fletcher and Kenoy Kennedy have also been used in the secondary with similar results.

"I hear a lot of people talking about how many yards they're allowing in the passing game, but I think that can be misleading because they're stuffing the run so well right now that a lot of teams are forced to pass," Cotchery said.

He might have a point. The Lions have allowed at least 290 yards passing in three of six games, but gave up only 201 against Minnesota two weeks ago and 207 in Sunday's win against Buffalo. On the flip side, their run defense is ranked 11th in the league.

"They do a great job of reading the quarterback's eyes, especially the underneath coverage, so you have to be very careful when you're reading your routes, making sure you don't bring an extra guy over into the passing route that shouldn't be there," Pennington said. "So you have to be very aware of how they read the quarterback's eyes."

The Jets' offense sputtered through the first half of Sunday's win against Miami, scoring only on Mike Nugent's field goal on the opening drive. But that was significant because it was the first time New York scored in the first quarter this season -- something that dogged the Jets through the first five games.

"That was a step in the right direction," Pennington said. "I'm not overly concerned. You always want to get off to a fast start, but you can't win the game in the first quarter. But you can definitely lose the game in the first quarter."

And despite all the reports regarding Detroit's secondary and the expectations that the Jets will try to pump up the offense early, New York won't stray far from its game plan.

"It's a four-quarter ballgame," Pennington said. "You'd love to get off to a fast start, but if you don't, you know that what you want to do in the first quarter is not do anything crazy or stupid to cost your team the game early."

Updated on Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 5:41 pm EDT

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/463049p-389621c.html

Catching up with Kitna

On Sunday, the Jets will see what might have been.

Shortly after renegotiating Chad Pennington's contract last March, the Jets, in the market for a starting-caliber veteran to compete with Pennington, aggressively pursued Jon Kitna. They brought him to New York on the first weekend of free agency, but he wound up receiving a more lucrative offer from the Lions - a four-year contract that included a $3.5 million signing bonus.

"I really like the time I spent with him," Eric Mangini said yesterday. "He's got really good leadership skills. (Ex-Patriot) Lawyer Milloy and he were good friends growing up, so I got to know about him a little bit from Lawyer. Watching him play and competing against him, I always liked his presence and leadership on the field."

Kitna probably wouldn't have won the job over Pennington, but he would've provided more competition than Patrick Ramsey, whom the Jets acquired in a trade with the Redskins after missing out on Kitna.

Kitna is the 22nd-rated passer in the NFL at 80.0. He has six touchdowns and seven interceptions.

notebook.gif

SUBSTANTIAL LUCK: The Jets caught a huge break this week with the announcement that Lions DT Shaun Rogers has been suspended for four weeks by the NFL for violating the steroid and related substances policy. Rogers (6-4, 345) took an appetite suppressant that contained ephedrine, according to a source. Rogers is one of the top run-stuffing tackles in the league. He will be replaced by Marcus Bell. Rogers will use his down time to rehab his knee; he underwent surgery yesterday.

PAIN RELIEF: The Jets must be getting healthier because their injury report shrunk to 15 players, down from 22 last week. There were no new names on the report. RB Cedric Houston (hyperextended knee) remained questionable for the second straight week. He was limited in practice. CB David Barrett (hip) didn't practice at all, and it appears he won't play for the third time in four weeks.

FIRST FRUSTRATION: The Jets have gone 20 straight games without an offensive touchdown in the first quarter, three shy of the mark set by the 1999-2000 Cardinals. Pennington's first-quarter numbers aren't good - 160 yards passing, no touchdowns, one interception and a 62.5 rating.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/463050p-389622c.html

Jets aim to put 'D' in Donnie

New look vs. old face

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Motivation shouldn't be a problem this week for the Jets defense. If their embarrassing league ranking doesn't light their fuse - 30th in total defense, tying a four-year low - this should:

Their former boss, fire-breathing Donnie Henderson, will be swaggering into town this weekend in his new job as the Lions' defensive coordinator. Obviously, the Jets want to show their old coach they're better than their lowly ranking.

They also received some bulletin-board fodder yesterday from Lions wide receiver Roy Williams, who did a lot of chirping for someone who plays for a 1-5 team.

"The X factor on this team is Kevin Jones," Williams said on a conference call with New York media, referring to the Lions tailback. "I believe if Kevin Jones rushes for over 100 yards, this team can't be beat, in my opinion."

It wasn't as brash as his guarantee in Week 2 - Williams predicted a win over the Bears, and they lost, 34-7 - but the statement is bound to touch a nerve in the Jets' locker room, considering their penchant for allowing 100-yard rushers.

The NFL leader in receiving yardage has a big game, and he's developing a reputation as a big talker, although Williams insisted: "I don't see myself in that boat, in the ego boat. I see myself as speaking the truth."

Williams is right about one thing: The Lions offense, headed by new coordinator Mike (Mad) Martz, is a lot more effective when Jones is racking up yardage. Jones, who cracked the 1,000-yard mark as a rookie in 2004, rushed for 127 yards last week against the Bills, giving Rod Marinelli his first head-coaching victory.

Of course, it was Jones' first 100-yard game in nearly two years, so Williams might have gotten a little carried away with his "can't be beat" declaration. He must have made the comment after watching tape of the Jets defense, which hasn't been able to consistently stop the run since ... oh, 2004, Henderson's first season in New York.

This season is only six games old, and already the Jets have allowed three 100-yard rushers (Ronnie Brown, Fred Taylor and Willis McGahee) and two tag-team efforts that topped the 100 mark (Joseph Addai and Dominick Rhodes, Corey Dillon and Laurence Maroney). The Jets are 2-3 in those games.

The Jets are yielding an average of 145 yards per game on the ground, 28th in the league, but they are making gradual improvement - or so they say. The players still are learning Eric Mangini's 3-4 scheme. If the linebackers and linemen don't work in concert to close the gaps, it creates creases that can be exploited.

"We're definitely getting better," said linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who, perhaps more than anyone, has had trouble with the transition.

Minus linemen John Abraham and Jason Ferguson, the Jets are playing with largely the same cast they did in 2004, a playoff season in which they shot up to seventh in total defense under Henderson. He was as embraceable as a porcupine, annoying players and opponents with his in-four-face style, but it worked - for a season, anyway.

"He's as ornery now as he was (in college)," said Marinelli, who coached Henderson at Utah State in the late 1970s.

The Jets defense sagged last season under Henderson, and still hasn't regained its footing, but this is the ideal time to begin the resurgence. Donnie Defense will be watching closely.

"I'm sure he's going to be fired up, but he's fired up all the time," said Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis. "I'm looking forward to seeing him, but it's not like we want to show up Donnie or anything like that."

Roy Williams might be a different story.

Originally published on October 19, 2006

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets194939216oct19,0,7977179.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Can't fence them in

Outside linebackers Thomas, Hobson enjoy freedom of 3-4 system

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

October 19, 2006

The Jets appear to be settling into the 3-4 defense from the outside in.

Inside linebackers Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton have been statistically steady; they are the team's leading tacklers despite their admitted discomfort with the set-up. But the guys on the outside have had impact games lately and are starting to look more comfortable with the new system than anyone in the front seven. Bryan Thomas had a team-high 11 tackles against the Dolphins and Victor Hobson had an interception and a fumble recovery.

The Jets' defense is still an issue, ranked 30th, ahead of only Green Bay and Houston. But there are signs that the players are slowly adjusting to their new roles and, in some cases, new positions. Thomas and Hobson have perhaps the most leeway in the scheme, and they have been taking advantage of it.

"When you look at a 3-4 type system, the two outside linebackers have to be stout guys who are ready to make plays," Hobson said. "As long as that wall is built [up the middle], the ball has to go somewhere and it's going to try to get outside."

Thomas echoed Hobson's take on their responsibilities while adding: "It's allowing us to go out, make plays and run around."

Many of the defensive players have spoken about trust playing a major role in the system, an ability to focus on one job and believe that other players are doing theirs. When a linebacker tries to compensate for someone else's slip-up, it creates a chain of events that leads to gaping holes for offenses.

So perhaps it is obvious that the outside linebackers would have an easier time adjusting. Unlike the inside linebackers, who must orchestrate their moves with the tackles and other linebackers, the outside guys have only one player next to them with which to be concerned. Their other flank is covered by the steadiest force on the football field - the sideline - which hasn't missed a tackle yet and is always in the proper position.

For Thomas, the change from end to outside linebacker has reinvigorated his career. A backup behind Shaun Ellis and John Abraham for most of his four years with the Jets, he has 37 tackles already this season after averaging 40.5 the previous two years. He credits his time behind the two Pro Bowl players for his current success.

"I took a lot from them. I still talk to John now and I still ask Shaun a lot of questions," Thomas said. "I struggled a lot [early] and there was a lot of stuff I didn't know. Just throwing me out there wouldn't have been beneficial to me. I look at it as I just waited my turn and I'm finally here."

Hobson, too, is putting up career numbers. He has a pair of fumble recoveries and an interception after never recording more than one takeaway in a season in his career.

"I'm learning on the run, so to speak," Hobson said. So far, he and Thomas are running faster than some others.

Notes & quotes: Lions DT Shaun Rogers will miss the Jets game and begin a four-game suspension after violating the league's steroid and related substances policy. Rogers claimed the positive test result came from an over-the-counter supplement but has decided not to appeal the suspension ... Jets coach Eric Mangini said he is content with using running backs in a "package-based" rotation. Rookie Leon Washington and Kevan Barlow have split backfield time the last two games and Cedric Houston (knee) could return to action soon ... Mangini noted that since 2002 the Lions have scored 11 touchdowns on special teams. "This is a group that's not just about field position, they are actually putting points on the board," he said ... Houston, CB David Barrett (hip), FB B.J. Askew (foot), WRs Laveranues Coles (calf) and Tim Dwight (thigh) and C Trey Teague (ankle) are listed as questionable. The Lions list DT Shaun Cody (toe) and S Kenoy Kennedy (foot) as out.

ABOUT THE LIONS

Coach: Rod Marinelli, first year (1-5)

Last week: Beat the Bills, 20-17, for their first win.

About the offense: A Mike Martz playbook allows the Lions to strike from any position on the field, and having the NFL's leading receiver, Roy Williams, makes them even more dangerous. But moving down the field and scoring points have not connected for the Lions, who average 245.2 passing yards per game but have scored only 12 offensive touchdowns and average 18 points. The rushing game averages 72.2 yards - and that's after Kevin Jones ran for 127 against the Bills - but other teams have been able to fix their running problems against the Jets this season.

About the defense: The Lions have been able to shut down the run, but they take a hit with DT Shaun Rogers suspended for four games beginning this week. That could provide a soft spot up the middle for the Jets to exploit. DE James Hall has 5.5 sacks. First-round pick Ernie Sims is a hard hitter at linebacker, and his 48 tackles are the most in the NFC. The Lions wear down, though, with 54 points allowed in the fourth quarter and two of their five losses coming after leading at halftime. The secondary allows nearly 250 passing yards per game.

The bottom line: Both teams are on a relative roll, with the Lions earning their first win of the season and the Jets hanging on for a must-win against the Dolphins. The Jets have adapted to their first-time head coach quicker than the Lions have, but Detroit is a talented team that has shown signs of putting things together. The Jets need to pressure QB Jon Kitna to keep Williams in check, and the run defense needs to show up big for the first time this season. Chad Pennington should be able to beat a Lions' secondary that has only two interceptions.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161236870234870.xml&coll=1

Ex-coach brings his fire to Lions

Thursday, October 19, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Quarterback Chad Pennington knows he's going to get Lions defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson's best shot on Sunday at the Meadowlands.

Henderson, in his first season with the Lions, spent the previous two seasons as the Jets' defensive boss, earning a reputation as a no-nonsense taskmaster who preaches tough, aggressive, blitz-happy football. He didn't leave the Jets under the best of circumstances after being passed over for the head job in favor of Eric Mangini.

"I'm sure he'll be fired up about the game," Pennington said yesterday. "And being around Donnie for two years, you know that he brings fire and intensity to his defense. That's how they play. They play with a lot of intensity and they play fast.

"When you play against a defense like that, you've got to be focused on the fundamentals because they can make things happen."

The Lions (1-5), who will be without 6-4, 345-pound Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers (suspension), rank 27th overall in the NFL, 11th vs. the run. The unit, however, has 10 takeaways, tied for 10th in the NFL.

"You have to go into the game expecting the unexpected and not being surprised by a look or a pressure look that you haven't seen," Pennington said. "(Henderson) always does a good job of throwing a new wrinkle in there.

"He definitely understands our personnel, but we do have a new system, so that's a little bit different. ... With their great pass rushing, I've got to make sure that the ball is secure and not get stripped and sacked."RB Cedric Houston (hyperextended left knee) has increased his work in practice, but it's unclear if he'll play Sunday. He had 12 carries for 49 yards vs. the Colts and was playing well when he got hurt on a hit by DE Dwight Freeney.

"That's kind of frustrating," Houston said. "It was my second game active and I was just getting in there, getting a little groove going and feeling pretty confident. For that to happen was a small setback, but I'll be fine."Rookie LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson goes against Lions DE James Hall this week. Hall is tied for fifth in the NFL in sacks with 5 1/2.... Jets WR Laveranues Coles is second in the NFL in receiving yards (537), trailing the Lions' Roy Williams (552), and tied for third in receptions (38).... CB David Barrett (hip) and C/T Trey Teague (ankle) didn't practice.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1161236797234870.xml&coll=1

Lions might be 1-5, but they can score

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Under new offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the Detroit Lions' offense hasn't reached the heights of the "Greatest Show On Turf " teams Martz had in St. Louis.

Martz, the former Rams head coach, led his team to a pair of Super Bowl appearances behind a state-of-the-art offense that most opponents still haven't figured out. He turned quarterback Kurt Warner from to pauper to a Super Bowl MVP and made wideout Torry Holt a star.

While the Lions have a ways to go before accomplishing what those Rams teams did, Martz's offense just keeps churning out points. The new ringmaster is veteran quarterback Jon Kitna, and the new featured attraction is wide receiver Roy Williams, a young and brash future Pro Bowler.

The Lions (1-5), who visit the Meadowlands on Sunday to play the Jets, rank seventh in the NFL in passing offense (245.2 yards per game) and have scored 20 or more points in three of their past four games.

"It (Martz's offense) is fun because it makes you think, it' a challenge for you," Williams said yesterday via a conference call. "As far as wide receivers, we have to read coverages on the run.

"Mike might call one route, but then there are four different routes in that one route, depending on the coverage. It's something that changes every week, instead of the same thing over and over every week."

Kitna, a 10th-year pro, leads the NFL in completions (145) and attempts (228) and is third in passing yards (1,584). But he's still feeling his way in Martz's offense and has just six touchdowns and seven interceptions.

Kitna, an ex-Bengal, has a lot to choose from as he directs this pass-happy offense.

Running back Kevin Jones has 31 receptions for 209 yards in addition to 388 yards rushing and four rushing touchdowns. Williams calls him the "X-factor" in the offense.

Wide receivers Mike Furrey (28 catches, 322 yards, two TDs) and Az-Zahir Hakim (16-141-0) are a pair of ex-Rams who know the offense well.

Tight ends Dan Campbell (7-120-1) and Marcus Pollard (7-68-0) are solid veterans who can work the middle of the field.

"He (Martz) does a great job of spreading the ball around," Jets safety Erik Coleman said. "You can't really key on one guy. Everyone makes plays. Everyone gets opportunities."

Williams, however, is a special player. Drafted seventh overall out of Texas in 2004, he is emerging as a game-breaker in the mold of Terrell Owens (Cowboys), Steve Smith (Panthers) and Holt (Rams).

At 6-3, 212 pounds, Williams is big, physical, fast and has excellent hands. He has a league-leading 552 receiving yards and two touchdowns on 36 receptions. He's tied for the league lead in 100-yard receiving games with three, including a 10-catch, 161-yard, one-TD performance in the Lions' 20-17 victory over Buffalo last week.

"He's a great receiver," said Jets cornerback Andre Dyson, who has played against Williams in the past. "He's tall, has long arms, runs good routes. He makes big plays all over the field. He's a young guy but he's up and coming. He's trying to become one of the elite receivers in this league."

Said Coleman: "He has a lot of speed and great hands. He goes up and snags the ball in the air. He doesn't wait for the ball to come to him. He's going to go get it."

Williams, a starter since his rookie year, has been making headlines off the field as well. He hasn't been shy about expressing his frustration at losing and has been criticized for his on-the-field antics and a victory guarantee he made against the Bears in Week 2. Chicago crushed the Lions, 34-7.

"I don't see myself in that boat, in the ego boat," Williams said. "I see myself speaking the truth. One thing that got misunderstood is that guarantee deal. The guarantee got thrown way out of the water somewhere. What I said is, 'We'll win this game as long as we do what we're supposed to do, offense, defense, special teams.'

"It (losing) is real disappointing. I'd rather have one pass for one yard and no touchdowns, if we win the ballgame. That's more satisfying then however many grabs I get or 100-yard games with a loss. To me, that means nothing. That means I didn't do my part."

Marinelli: Mangini Has Done a Heck of a Job

Published: 10-18-06

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/marinelli-mangini-has-done-a-heck-of-a-job

Donnie Henderson will make a return to the Meadowlands Sunday as a visitor. Henderson spent the previous two seasons as the Jets defensive coordinator before joining the Lions during the off-season. First-year Detroit head coach Rod Marinelli has know Henderson for close to 30 years.

"I coached Donnie in college at Utah State, so I know all about him," Marinelli said. "He is as ornery now as he was then. The one thing he brings to me is a tremendous loyalty. He is an extremely loyal guy, an extremely tough guy, very demanding and built on fundamentals and all those things I want. I couldn

A couple of these technically were dated yesterday but I think they went up like around midnight:

Detroit’s Deceiving Attack

By John Beattie

John Beattie is a reporter for the Jets and contributes to newyorkjets.com.

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/detroit-s-deceiving-attack

Once the ring leader of an offense known as the “Greatest Show on Turf,” Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz is still regarded as one of the most innovative offensive leaders in today’s NFL. Heading into this season, head coach Rod Marinelli appointed Martz to drive his Motown offense back to the promise land, and with a nucleus of emerging stars, the Detroit Lions are on their way.

That road leads to the Meadowlands this Sunday as the Lions look to beat the Jets for their second consecutive win. The 1-5 Lions captured their first victory of the season last week against Buffalo. Though their record appears substandard, the Lions offense has the tools to make a prompt turnaround, and it all starts with Martz.

“Mike Martz is as creative as always,” said Jets head coach Eric Mangini. “The offense is explosive - they have been doing a good job. Roy Williams and Kevin Jones have really emerged. The different ways that they get the playmakers involved in terms of shifting and motioning is always a great challenge.”

The Lions currently have five players who have reached double figures in receiving yards. Roy Williams, now in just his third pro season out of Texas, leads the way with an NFL-best 552 yards, while Mike Furrey (322), running back Kevin Jones (209), Az-Zahir Hakim (141), and tight end Dan Campbell (120) each have made healthy contributions.

“He has always done a good job of putting pressure on defenses between the shifts and the multiple formations and personnel groups,” Mangini said of Martz. “His offenses have always been able to create big plays. It’s always challenging whenever you face one of his offensive groups.”

In 1999, Martz took the offensive helm of a Rams team that had gone just 4-12 the year before. He immediately piloted the NFL’s top ranked offense all the way to the Super Bowl where the Rams beat Tennessee 23-16. In that magical season, Martz turned a then no-name Kurt Warner into the league MVP after the former Arena League quarterback threw for 41 touchdowns and 4,353 yards.

The man throwing all of the passes – an NFL-most 228 total attempts to be exact - for the offensive genius this season is Jon Kitna, a veteran in his 10th season. Kitna, a former undrafted free agent from Central Washington, averages 245.2 passing yards per game, ranking him eighth in the NFL. His 1,584 total passing yards is third only to Donovan McNabb (1,849) and Marc Bulger (1,619).

“I spent some time with Jon; he has really good leadership skills,” said Mangini of Kitna, who had met with the Jets coach last spring. “Watching him play and competing against him, I always liked his presence and his leadership on the field and the way that he moves around and makes a lot of things happen.”

Mangini met with Kitna in the off-season when the Jets were looking to add depth to the quarterback position. During that time, Chad Pennington was in the early stages of his recovery from a second shoulder surgery and Kitna was one of many veteran quarterbacks to visit Weeb Ewbank Hall before the acquisition of Patrick Ramsey.

Fortunately for the Green and White, Pennington has made a tremendous comeback, as the seven-year veteran seems to be passing better than ever. Pennington has thrown eight touchdowns en route to his club’s 3-3 record. The Lions have had difficulty stopping teams at times but Pennington sees a solid defensive unit.

“They have a lot of playmakers on their defense and they play very fast,” he said. “You can’t just expect to walk out there and run up and down the field on these guys. The first game of the season, they held Seattle – the defending NFC Champions – to nine points and they had to kick a long field goal in the end.”

“You look at more of the film than necessarily the statistics,” Mangini said referring to the Lions 29th ranked defense. “You try to figure out where exactly the vulnerabilities are, where the strengths are, and attack the weaknesses and minimize the strengths. Each week it looks better and better, and last week gives a good indication of where they are.”

At first glance, the Detroit defense will most likely hone in on Jets wide out Laveranues Coles, who is coming off of a 106-yard, two touchdown performance against Miami. However, the Lions new defensive coordinator is Donnie Henderson, the same man who led the Jets defensive unit the previous two seasons.

For Pennington, the idea of facing Henderson makes the challenge that much more difficult. The preparation going into the week seven battle against a former coach will undoubtedly be extensive for the Knoxville, Tennessee native.

“I think you have to go into the game expecting the unexpected and not be surprised by a look or a pressure look that you haven’t seen,” Pennington said of Henderson. “He always does a really good job of throwing a new wrinkle in there and attacking the offense in a way he thinks will help them. You do have to expect that.”

One method in which Pennington may look to counter some Henderson schemes is the long ball. A healthy Pennington has welcomed the idea of delivering a few deep tosses and the Jets have succeeded down the field.

Just last week, Pennington and Coles hooked up for a 58-yard touchdown strike after the veterans picked up on the Dolphins’ tendencies. Pennington called an audible at the line and the two took went for a big play.

“I think there are shots in every game,” Mangini said. “One of the things we want Chad to do - and one of the things Chad has done a good job of - is take what the defense gives you and take advantage of the opportunities when they are there. There was a low opportunity and a higher opportunity came up, and he took the shot down the field.”

Williams: Martz Has a Track Record

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/williams-martz-has-a-track-record

We all know Laveranues Coles’ is off to a torrid start here in New York, but Roy Williams has been just as impressive up in Detroit. The Lions top wideout leads the NFL with 552 receiving yards and he is averaging 15.3 yards per reception. Williams, a 6’3", 220-pound target who has racked up more than 130 yards receiving in three of the past four games, is quick to credit offensive coordinator Mike Martz for his startling production.

"You hear about his offense and you know he has a track record," Williams said of Martz. "What he does is he makes his players play. I’ve never been around a coach who makes his players play and brings out the best in his players. This is the first coach that I’ve been around that does that and he does a good job of it."

Read below for Williams' complete transcript

On the team so far this season…

We’re fine. We’re 1-5, we know we’re better then 1-5 and we finally got this monkey off our back and now, hopefully, we know what winning feels like and we can reel off a couple more wins.

On working with Mike Martz…

I didn’t expect it. You hear about his offense and you know he has a track record. What he does is he makes his players play. I’ve never been around a coach who makes his players play and brings out the best in his players. This is the first coach that I’ve been around that does that and he does a good job of it.

On Coach Marinelli’s involvement in the offense…

I don’t know, I don’t think he’s too involved. He’s a defensive guy, a defensive line coach. I don’t know. I see Mike Martz every day, probably 95% more then I see Coach Marinelli, (they are) two totally different coaches.

On it being more difficult to lose with the Tigers having success…

No, not at all. My hat goes off to the Tigers, they’ve done a good job, but we have nothing to do with the Tigers. The way they’re playing has no control on the way we’re playing. Two totally different sports, but I’m happy for them.

On what creates an egocentric behavior among many receivers in the NFL…

You want the football. A running back is going to get the ball 25 times a game. A receiver most of the time averages four to six touches a game. Guys feel that they’re playmakers on the outside and all of these guys are six foot and above and all the corners are 5’10’’ and shorter, so why can’t you get the ball? These guys just want to help their team win, it’s not that they want to do it for themselves. These guys just know that they have a mismatch on the outside and they want to help their team win.

On what it’s like in a Mike Martz offense…

It’s fun and what makes it fun is, it’s not fun to go out there and play, but because it makes you think, it’s a challenge for you. As far as wide receivers, we have to read coverages on the run, if it’s a blitz, we have to change our route. Mike might call one route, but then there are four different routes in that one route, depending on the coverage. It’s fun, it’s challenging and that’s what I’ve always hoped to be in, is something that changes every week, instead of the same thing over and over every week.

On being frustrated with the team’s success…

It’s real disappointing. I’d rather have one pass for one yard and no TDs, if we win the ballgame. That’s more satisfying then however many grabs I get or over 100 yards with an L (loss). To me that means nothing. To me, that means I didn’t do my part. The x-factor on this team is Kevin Jones. I believe if Kevin Jones rushes for over 100 yards that this team can’t be beat, in my opinion.

On getting a reputation for his comments…

I don’t see myself in that boat, in the ego boat, I see myself as speaking the truth. One thing that got misunderstood is that guarantee deal. The guarantee got thrown way out of the water somewhere. What I said is, we will win this game, as long as, we do what we’re supposed to do, offense, defense, special teams.On receivers wanting to get the most attention that they can because they touch the ball so much less…

On receivers wanting to get the most attention that they can because they touch the ball so much less…

There’s no question about it. You know there is a wide receiver going to the game. If you catch anywhere near seven balls, that’s a heck of a game, for any wide receiver, no matter how many yards it is. Seven looks, that’s a nice day, especially for a wide receiver. All receivers know that. That’s why you hear a lot of wide receivers say, when the ball gets thrown to them; they’re trying to score, because it might be the last time they get the ball.

On the first two games a product of learning the new offense…

We’re in this new system, you want to trust the system, because we know that it works and it just wasn’t working for us early. Me personally, I just had a terrible game, the first game against Seattle. I feel if I could have played better then we might have had a better shot to win that ballgame, because our defense was playing so well. It got a little bit better against Seattle and then week by week it’s gotten a lot better. Now our running game is coming around and that’s the number one thing that we need. If we can run the football it’s going to be tough to beat the Lions.

On being past his difficulties with RB Kevin Jones…

Oh yeah, that’s last year. He said that I could have caught that ball, but then after he watched film he was out here saying, “I see what you were saying.” There was no way I could have caught that ball, the ball was way over my head and he understood, because he wants to win and I want to win and it wasn’t anything big at all.

On defending WR Mike Williams…

I would like to see him on the football field and I think he should be a starter or something, but at least somewhere on the football field. The guy is 6’ 5’’, he’s a giant. Like I said most corners are 5’ 10’’ and below. He was a heck of a wide receiver coming out of USC. I know people say that that doesn’t mean anything, this is the NFL now. To me, everyone went to college in the NFL, so there is no difference and that’s the mindset that I have. He’s a heck of a receiver and he can help this team out tremendously.

Pennington: No Huddle is Fun

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/pennington-no-huddle-is-fun

Chad Pennington is enjoying his opportunity to lead the Jets' no-huddle offense. On Wednesday, the cerebral quarterback discussed the importance of communication when the Jets move into their hurry-up mode.

"It’s fun. It does give the quarterback more responsibility," Pennington said. "There is more responsibility in communicating plays and making sure all 10 guys know exactly what to do, making sure they get lined up correctly, and making sure they have the correct splits. Communication is the total key to the no-huddle. It obviously causes the defense some problems and they really have to make adjustments. We are just trying to work on the efficiency of our no-huddle package."

Read below for Pennington's complete transcript

New York Jets’ QB Chad Pennington, 10.18

On Detroit’s pass-defense’s stats…

Yeah, their stats are deceiving really. Their corners do a great job of anticipation, making plays on the ball. They are starting to be more aggressive in the passing game. They did a great job of reading the quarterbacks' eyes, especially the underneath coverage. You have to be very careful when you're reading your routes and making sure that you don't bring an extra guy over into the passing route that shouldn't be there. So you have to be very aware of how they read the quarterbacks eyes.

On Shaun Rogers…

We always prepare for all of the unexpected things. We know what type of player Shaun Rogers is. He wreaks havoc any time he's in the game; you've got to be aware of him. He definitely makes their defense better. He's a very good player and we'll be ready if he plays.

On the difficulty of balancing family with football…

It is very hard, especially during the season. Cole is at the age now where he is starting to understand a little bit and he's having a hard time with daddy going to work and being gone. I've just got to make sure that Mondays and Tuesdays, I give him a lot of time and attention. And then when I get home around nine o'clock, from 9:00 to about 10:00, it's full go, it's about as hard as we can go for an hour. So that's kind of how we work it out.

On getting off to a slow start…

We've faced some pretty tough defenses. So you have to give the defense credit. Miami is an excellent defense, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, New England, Buffalo; you go down the list and they have done a really good job of playing good team defense.I thought it was important last week that we did get points on our first possession in the first half, and we also got points on our first possession in the second half. So that was a step in the right direction. But I'm not overly concerned. You always want to get off to a fast start, but you can't win the game in the first quarter. But you can definitely lose the game in the first quarter. And that's what I've learned. It is a four‑quarter ballgame and you'd love to get off to a fast start. But if you don't, you know that what you want to do in the first quarter is not do anything crazy or stupid to cost your team the game early.

On how Pennington quantifies the Lions’ negative stats…

I'm very wary of those statistics, because when you look at the statistics, you can look at them and say, wow, we can put a lot of points on the board and do a lot of different things. But they have a lot of playmakers on their defense and they play very fast. They are a very fast defense. So you can't just walk out there and expect to just run up and down the field on these guys.The first game of the season, they hold Seattle, defending NFC Champions, to nine points and they have to kick a long field goal in the end. Last week, Buffalo, they did a very good job versus Buffalo of causing turnovers and stopping their offense. So I just think maybe a couple of games have maybe kind of thrown those statistics off such as versus the Rams and things like that. I think they are a team that's better than a 1‑5 record, and they have had some very close ball games that could have gone either way. They could be sitting at 3‑3 really easy. We can't really worry about the record. We've got to understand that we're playing a very explosive defense and a team with an explosive offense with their offensive coordinator, Mike Martz, knowing what they can do offensively, it's going to have to be a full, four‑quarter team effort to beat these guys.

On what Pennington expects from Donnie Henderson…

I'm sure he'll be fired up about the game and things like that. And being around Donnie for two years, you know that he brings fire and intensity to his defense. That's how they play. They play with a lot of intensity; they play very fast. They don't play with hesitancy. So when you play against a defense like that, you've got to be focused on the fundamentals and what your core job is and the details of it because they can make things happen.

On having innovative plays in the offense…

Well, it's exciting. Our coaches are doing a great job of using our personnel every week and just playing to the strengths of our players. I think that's important, that you look at the weapons that you have, you play to their strengths, you do things to put them in good positions to make plays. That's what Coach Schottenheimer and all of the offensive coaches have done a great job of is trying to attack their weaknesses and play to our strengths. As on offense it really creates problems.

On seeing the new plays for the first time…

You have to take a double‑look at it and look at what we're trying to get accomplished and what we need to do and those type of things. You know, they have been creative.

On his working relationship with James Dearth…

There are no problems. We have a great relationship. James and I are working hard every day after practice to get that fixed. (Laughter).

On high profile receivers in the league…

Well, playing the receiver position is very unique. It has become one of the positions in football where it's very individualized because of the statistics in fantasy football and those type of things.

I think still, the best receivers in the league, they still hang onto core values of what made them very good and the elite within the league, and that's the work ethic and spending the time, understanding routes and how to run routes and looking at coverage and understanding defense. Those guys, they understand that and they are able to put the total package together to where you just don't have one or two games of productivity throughout the season, Torry Holt and those type of guys, they do a great job of that.

On what Pennington expects from Henderson…

I think just with my experience with Donnie, I think you have to go into the game expecting the unexpected and not being surprised by a look or a pressure look that you haven't seen. He always does a really good job of throwing a new wrinkle in there and attacking the offense in a way that he thinks will help them. So you do have to expect that.

On Henderson being familiar with Pennington’s game…

Well, he definitely understands our personnel so he can definitely talk to the guys about the strengths of our personnel. But we do have a new system, so that's a little bit different. But you do have to understand that he understands us as players. What I have to do and what we have to do as an offense throughout the week individually is focus on the fundamentals. With their great pass rushing, I've got to make sure that the ball security is key and not getting stripped and sacked and things like that. So it's those little details where they make plays and really cause opportunities for their offense; that I have to make sure that doesn't happen to us to where we put our defense in a bad situation and then their offense can get back out on the field.

Mangini: The Group Will Respond

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/mangini-the-group-will-respond

Only a couple of days after securing their first victory of the season, the Detroit Lions were informed that All-Pro defensive tackle Shaun Rogers would be suspended for four games for violating a league rule on banned substances. The 6’4", 340-pound Rogers is a quality big man who had already totaled three sacks and 20 tackles in just six games. Rogers will not be on the field this weekend when the Lions visit the Jets.

"I think they have a good group of defensive linemen and those guys have played in different spots," said Jets head coach Eric Mangini. "There is some flexibility there to move guys around and collectively as a group they play well. Whether it’s an injury or a situation like that, I think the group will respond. Whoever they decide to plug in there will do a good job for them."

Read below for Mangini's complete transcript

New York Jets’ Head Coach Eric Mangini, 10.18

Opening statement…

With Detroit coming off the win, I think this is going to be another good challenge for us. They present a lot of problems in all three areas. If not for a few bounces here or there, their record could look a lot different.

Offensively, Mike Martz is as creative as always. The offense is explosive. They have been doing a good job. Roy Williams and Kevin Jones have really emerged and the different ways that they get the playmakers involved, the different things that they are able to do in terms of shifting and motioning is always a great challenge.

Defensively, they are fast; they are aggressive. They do a nice job pursuing the ball. They do a nice job creating opportunities for turnovers. You see that last week with the interception and the two fumbles. I think it's an opportunistic defense that's getting more and more opportunistic each week.

On special teams, it's going to be a tremendous challenge for us. They have an outstanding kicker with a return game. Every play, they have an opportunity to score. Since 2002, they have scored 11 touchdowns on special teams. This is a group that's not just about field position, they are actually putting points on the board and that's most in the NFL during that time period. It's going to be difficult in all phases of the special teams game, and it's something that we're really going to need to be sound.

On the pressure the Lions’ offense creates for the Jets’ defense…

Mike Marts has always done a good job of putting pressure on defenses between the shifts and multiple formations with personnel groups and the big plays that his offenses have always been able to create. He's just really impressive that way. He's always done a good job and it's always challenging whenever you face one of his offensive groups.

On having players who played under the Donnie Henderson system…

I think the system is incorporating elements of both things that Donnie liked to do and some elements of different systems. It's a fusion which I'm sure a lot of systems are when you have a defensive head coach and a defensive coordinator and they are able to put those two groups' ideas together. Usually you take the best one from each group and make it more effective.

On receiving input from players who played under Henderson…

I think to some degree you can get some insight. But again when there's a fusion of systems it's not always as clean cut as if the one system had just moved to a new place. There is an element of that, but maybe not as strong as some other situations.

On the Lions’ defensive passing game numbers…

I think that like any new system, there's a progression, and I think that over the course of the season, the defense has gotten better and better. Last week with five sacks, an interception, two fumbles, it's really starting to progress. I think they play some really good defense throughout the year. They can make some plays and they do make plays. They have outstanding speed on defense.

On any of their pass-defense stats that jump out at him…

You know, you look at more of the film than the statistics and try to figure out exactly where the vulnerability is and where the strengths are to attack the weaknesses and minimize the strengths. Each week it looks better and better, and like I said, last week was a good indication of where they are.

On Shaun Rogers…

I think they have a good group of defensive linemen and those guys have played in different spots. There is some flexibility there to move guys around. Collectively, they play well. And whether it's an injury or a situation like that, I think the group will respond, and whoever they decide to plug in there will do a good job for them.

On the possibility of Rogers being out for the game…

We are still waiting for official notification. I've seen the same things that you've seen, but until it's done, we'll plan accordingly.

On the Jets’ long game being shut out…

I think there are shots in every game that are there, and one of the things that we want Chad to do and one of the things that Chad has done a good job is, take what the defense gives you, take advantage of the opportunity when they are there. Like the play to Laveranues in the back of the end zone on the seven route, there was a low opportunity and the high opportunity came up and he took the shot down the field. I thought that was a really good play on Chad’s part, too, because he had gotten the off‑sides with a hard count, and in that situation you can be even more aggressive than you normally would be.

On Victor Hobson’s role in the defense…

He's done a good job and that's important. He's done a good job whether it's recovering fumbles, or getting interceptions, the guys joke with him that he needs to work on his return after the interception and that's something I'm sure he is working on, but that's a high‑class problem when that's what you're working on. I've been pleased with a lot of things that he's done, and not just his improvement in the running game, but also his improvement in terms of dropping in pass coverage, understanding how the patterns are going to develop, understanding how he fits, and I think as he continues to progress, he'll contribute even more.

On Mangini’s expectations for Hobson and how he has measured up…

It's a little different role than he's playing here. I knew that he had played a lot of good football and had seen that, and I anticipate him playing a lot of good football here as well and understanding that there was going to be some learning to be done and he's done a good job with his approach and the way that he's worked at it. You can see again, like with all of these guys, that as they work and develop, how the good things start happening with the interceptions and the turnovers. It's really good awareness on his part.

On Hobson embracing the new defense…

I'd like to think everybody's embracing the system. (Laughing) I think that's great. He had worked some at the end of the line of scrimmage in the system that he was in, so there was some carry over. He does give you some nice flexibility, though, because he has worked behind the line. Again, it's about versatility. If he were to go inside, I think that he could do that effectively as well because there's carryover between the two. One thing I really like is being able to play on the end of the line of scrimmage, being able to bump back inside and the inner being interchangeable is really important.

On Jon Kitna….

I spent some time with Jon (Kitna). I really like the time I spent with him. He's got really good leadership skills. Lawyer Molloy and he were good friends growing up, so I got to know about him a little bit from Lawyer, and background on who he is. Watching him play and competing against him, I always liked his presence and his leadership on the field and the way that he moves around and makes a lot of things happen; good arm strength. Then having the opportunity to meet with him and spend some time, that was a good experience, as well.

On Leon Washington becoming the premier running back…

It will be package‑based again, and there are certain things that Leon does really well and certain things that Kevan (Barlow) does really well, and certain things that defensively, we're going to want to attack with either one or the other. You know, Cedric is making progress and Derrick is always involved in the mix. So between that group of guys is trying to figure out the best package of run, not just for them, but against the opponent.

On playing Washington more if he is having a good game…

I think there's an element of both. Some plays you really like. Sometimes there's the element of someone being in a bit of a groove. Or it could actually be that you just return to the play, maybe build the formation a little differently, but run a similar play. I think both of those have merit depending on how the game is going.

On expectations Mangini had for Washington…

It goes back to what we liked in college, some of the things that we've seen here lately you saw quite a bit of in college. I think he was Mr. Florida or something coming out of high school; I'm not sure what the distinction is. He's been a good player for a long time at a high level, and then he came in early to rookie camp and passing camp and there was some things that we needed to work out. He really worked on it and his ball security improved. I just like the way that he's working at becoming a pro. With that whole rookie class, I like the way they are all working it and not playing professional football, but becoming a professional football player. And the two are so different.

On the difference between a professional player and a player who plays professionally…

I think there are a lot of guys that have played professional football and there are guys that are true professional football players. True pros understand the importance of individual preparation. They understand the importance of taking care of your body, how to practice, how to play in a game; how to execute a pre-game routine. There are all of those different elements of developing your crafts. The true pros embrace that and work at it.

On if the difference is the details…

One is playing the sport and the other one is working at his craft, developing his craft, honing his craft and taking a true business approach to everything he does. All the great ones have it.

On if Mangini is trying to build a football team of professional players…

I'm committed and Mike (Tannenbaum) is committed and Mr. Johnson is committed to that concept of the core characteristics. I think when you have those core characteristics in players, the smart, tough, hard working competitive, selfless ‑‑ I could say it in my sleep, I say it quite often and I believe in them, but when you have those characteristics, and you put the young players into the right environment, they are going to develop into really good pros.

On Kimo von Oelhoffen and how he has progressed…

Kimo has what you want when you talk about a true pro. Kimo is a true pro. His approach is outstanding. His classroom approach is outstanding, in practice, he's stout. The transition for him has been tough even though he was in a 3‑4 system in Pittsburgh, there are different elements to every system. There are things that he has had to learn as well, but he's gotten better and better each week and he'll continue to get better because he's working at it and his effect on the group and whether it be just the defensive linemen, the defensive backs, the linebackers, he's got good, sound leadership skills. More quiet leadership skills than some, but still a very strong presence.

On if big plays will come from Oelhoffen…

I think the important thing defensively, across the board, is everybody doing the right thing at all times and taking care of their responsibility. That is always going to be the key thing. In the big plays sometimes you're the cannon and sometimes you’re the fodder. Sometimes you're taking one for somebody else. It's just so important that everybody does their job, everybody fits, and Kimo is working at that and he's working with the other guys to develop that and improve that weekly.

On the success of Kerry Rhodes making him a target…

I think that there are plays to be made in the blitz game, throughout the different times we've played over the last couple of weeks, since Kerry has become a marked man, and sometimes you've got to go in and beat a blocker. Sometimes it's both. Sometimes you come clean, and hit the quarterback. And sometimes you've got to go in and throw a move and understand exactly how the guy is going to block you, whether he's going to block you with power, whether he's going to block you with a little more finesse that you have to try to turn into a power rush. There will be opportunity, and there is going to continue to be opportunities for him and for a lot of other people, it's a combination of everybody hitting the right spot and then sometimes they are going to get through and have to deal with someone in your way in the path to the quarterback.

On making plays and getting open guys…

I'd love for every blitz to have an open guy, but sometimes there is a guy that you have to deal with and understanding how that guy is going to block you is really important. So not just where you hit, but then what you encounter once you get to the line.

On Drew Coleman and Eric Smith…

I thought they both did a pretty solid job last week. Drew is getting more and more time defensively. Eric got to play defensively as well. Those opportunities will continue to exist as long as they continue to make progress and continue to take advantage of the opportunities that they do get. I've been pleased with both of these guys for the same reason I've been pleased with a lot of these guys. The approach, the improvement, the opportunity shows up, they do good things with the opportunity, and then each week, those opportunities will increase.

On the secondary having been a fluid situation this season…

I think it's going to be one of those situations where opportunity will knock. If you take advantage of it, it will become less fluid. If you don't, it will stay fluid. But we're always going to put the best guys on the field to help us beat that team, and it's going to change weekly and the matchups are going to change weekly and to me, it's whoever is playing the best is going to play in the game and whoever helps us win the most is going to play in the game. The best way to ensure that you're playing all the time is to really take advantage of the opportunities.

On David Barrett…

No, it's been injury‑based. David's done a good job with everything that we've had medically in terms of his rehab. It's just one of those things where sometimes you have a setback but David's situation has been more medical than anything else.

On David Barrett indicating that he was not injured…

With all injuries, as soon as we have a comfort level with the players ability to perform it will help us move forward. Some of those decisions come down to Sunday morning. Each week with any injury, we'll evaluate it early in the week, later in the week and sometimes as late as right before the game, just to make sure. Because the problem you get into is if you do bring a player to the game, he goes out, plays one or two plays, then you've lost that player in the things that he can do; but you've left somebody at home or on the active list that probably could have helped you a lot more for 30, 40 plays.

On coaches and players having differing views on being injured…

I really had not had much exposure to anything medical at the other place. I think that we have a good plan in place for every player. Organizationally, we're going to do everything possible to get the player ready to play, and the players have done an outstanding job at working on it. I've been really happy with the way that these guys have fought through injuries. Laveranues is the shining star.

On players playing hurt being the norm…

Each injury is so different, and then each guy is so different. What you're always trying to do is prepare for the game, try to make sure you don't have a setback and then the important thing is be able to get into the game, play the game, be effective, and have everybody working together towards that same goal. Laveranues is a great example of a very, very tough individual. As I said, I'd love to bottle that.

On looking ahead to winning two games before the bye-week…

No. Today, that's it.

On the Challenge Roy Williams presents…

He's outstanding. He leads the NFL in yards. That's pretty impressive. There are not many catches he can’t make, and he's a vertical threat, he's good underneath. He's a problem.

Dyson: Lions Can Run Anything From Anywhere

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/articles/dyson-lions-can-run-anything-from-anywhere

Cornerback Andre Dyson will be one of the men to mark Roy Williams come Sunday. Williams leads the league in receiving yards with 552, 15 more yards than Jets receiver Laveranues Coles. Dyson has three interceptions this season and now has totaled 20 in his career.

"Every week teams have superstar players and you have to go into every week with the same attitude - just out there to win, play fast, play hard and play smart," Dyson said. "That is what we try to do, no matter what name is on the back of the jersey or what decal is on the helmet."

Read below for the complete transcripts from Inside the Jets Locker Room

New York Jets

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/SPORTS01/610190380/1108/SPORTS01

Jets have a tough Lion to tame

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: October 19, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — It only seems like Roy Williams has as many opinions as he does catches.

But it's no exaggeration to say the Lions' wide receiver, and Detroit's passing game in general, will pose a stiff test for the Jets (3-3) Sunday. Yet even with all the attention on him, Williams thinks it should lie elsewhere.

"The X-factor on this team is (running back) Kevin Jones," Williams said yesterday. "I believe if Kevin Jones rushes for over 100 yards that this team can't be beat, in my opinion."

So far, Williams is right. Jones ran for 127 yards in this past Sunday's 20-17 win over the Bills. The Lions' first victory marked the first time this season Jones has exceeded 100 yards.

But it's the Lions' aerial attack, reborn under journeyman quarterback Jon Kitna, that has been more effective thus far. The Lions (1-5) are averaging 245.2 passing yards per game, ranking them eighth in the NFL.

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound Williams is leading the NFL with 552 receiving yards, 15 yards ahead of second-place Laveranues Coles of the Jets. Williams, the seventh overall pick in the 2004 draft, is also tied for fifth with 36 receptions.

"If you want to be an elite player, you always want to play against people like that who are going to test you," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "Their offense is designed to go deep, and they're going to go deep, so it gives you a chance to make plays, and that's what you want."

Rhodes and cornerback Andre Dyson have been the constants in Jets coach Eric Mangini's ever-changing secondary, starting all six games.

"I think it's going to be one of those situations where opportunity will knock," Mangini said. "If you take advantage of it, it will become less fluid. If you don't, it will stay fluid. It's whoever is playing the best is going to play in the game."

Derrick Strait, since released, started two games as a safety, and safety Erik Coleman, who started all 32 games his first two seasons, started for the first since Week 2 in this past Sunday's 20-17 win over the Dolphins.

Cornerback David Barrett, who started 24 of 29 games over the past two seasons, has started just once this season and been inactive two of the last three weeks with a hip injury. Rookie cornerback Drew Coleman has started the last two games. Justin Miller has started three games at cornerback.

"You just have to go when you're called," Erik Coleman said. "You spend time worrying about that, you're not worrying about what you're going to do when you get out there."

Mangini did praise Drew Coleman's recent improvement and made it sound as if he would continue to play a lot if he maintained this level. He made seven tackles against the Dolphins — a sign Miami was effectively running the ball — and was also credited with a pass defensed.

The 5-foot-9 rookie said he had followed what Williams, a fellow Texan, had done in the league so far. But it's not so much Williams' speed that worries him.

It's his height.

"I ain't really played against none that I would say were just blazing fast," Coleman said. "(Wes) Welker (of the Dolphins) was quick, (Chris) Chambers also. But the main thing is all of them are so much bigger than me. I'm trying to get off the blocks and try to stick my head in on tackles."

Erik Coleman said Williams knows how to use his height.

"He has a lot of speed and he's got great hands," Erik Coleman said. "He goes up and he snags the ball out of the air. He doesn't wait for the ball to get to him. It's a tremendous challenge. You have to know where he is."

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061019/SPORTS01/610190379/1108/SPORTS01

Jets' Houston nearing return

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 19, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD — Cedric Houston appears on the verge of returning from an injured left knee that has kept the Jets' running back sidelined the past two games.

Jets players are not allowed to discuss their injuries and the team never fully disclosed Houston's exact diagnosis. He was carted off the Giants Stadium turf after gaining a team-high 49 yards on 12 carries in a 31-28 loss to the Colts on Oct. 1.

The second-year pro is listed as questionable for Sunday's home game against the Detroit Lions. But Houston indicated the Jets were relying on his own progress report.

"It's on me," Houston said.

Kevan Barlow and rookie Leon Washington have shared the carries with Houston sidelined and Derrick Blaylock relegated to special teams.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said he was willing to continue his running back-by-committee approach.

"It will be package-based again," Mangini said. "There's certain things that Leon does really well and certain things that Kevan does really well and certain things that defensively we're going to want to attack with either one or the other. You know, Cedric is making progress and Derrick is always involved in the mix."

Replacing Rogers: Lions coach Rod Marinelli is approaching the four-game suspension of defensive tackle Shaun Rogers as if he were lost to injury. The NFL penalized Rogers for using a banned substance.

The 6-foot-4, 345-pound Rogers, selected to the Pro Bowl the previous two seasons, has 36 tackles and three sacks in the first six games. He switched to nose tackle for the Lions' 20-17 win over the Bills this past Sunday and dropped Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman for a 15-yard loss.

"We've had injuries before this and how we've handled those things is we just move on, put this behind us," Marinelli said. "What it's done is it creates an opportunity for another player. We coach them all the same."

Rogers started at nose tackle in place of Shaun Cody, who injured his toe the previous week against Minnesota. Marcus Bell replaced Cody against the Vikings and had a season-high six tackles. He should start Sunday.

Injury report: Including Houston, the Jets have 15 players on their initial injury list for Sunday's game. Once again, fullback B.J. Askew (foot), wide receiver Laveranues Coles (calf) and wide receiver Tim Dwight (thigh) are questionable, though all played last week. Cornerback David Barrett (hip) is also questionable and has been inactive two of the last three games.

Team officials and players sometimes might differ on what constitutes an injury.

"I think each injury is so different, and then each guy is so different," Mangini said. "What you're always trying to do is to try to prepare for the game, try to make sure you don't have a setback, and then the important thing is to be able to get into the game, play the game, be effective."

For the Lions, running back Kevin Jones (hip) is probable but he did not participate in 11-on-11 drills yesterday. Fullback Cory Schlesinger (hamstring), right tackle Rex Tucker (knee) and left guard Ross Verba (hamstring) are all questionable.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDY4MzYmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Former critic: two thumbs up for coach

When last we left a certain player who requested anonymity the first week of September, he wasn't a happy camper.

He felt coach Eric Mangini had overworked the Jets all summer to the point where their legs were dead with a whole season staring them in the face. He thought Mangini's style and rules punished people.

The story was a lightning rod. Some readers of the "What has Mangini won?" crowd sided with the player. Others of the "boo-hoo" view said no one should be complaining about hard work in general, and especially less than a year removed from 4-12.

We checked back in with Anonymous (no relation to the author of "Primary Colors") after the win over Miami raised the Jets' record to 3-3. Not surprisingly, the player said:

"I understand what Eric's saying now."

Not all has been forgotten from the long off-season, but much has been forgiven.

"To tell you the truth, it was tough for everybody," the player said. "It took a while to get adjusted to a new coaching style, and it's a completely different style. This year, no one knew what to expect. He had to be a certain way to get his points across.

"There was the spring stuff, and he had a really tough camp. But we got through it. Was it worth while? I can say that now. ... I'm not saying I want to go through it again next spring."

However, the player thought 2007 will be different. With a year under his belt, Mangini should be less of a trial-and-error boss. He'll know his players better, and vice versa. A foundation will have been laid.

Of course, that's getting ahead of the game. Al Groh no doubt thought he had begun a sturdy foundation when his stern approach got the Jets to 9-4 and within a win of the 2000 playoffs. The Jets never got that win, the veterans vented with vitriol, and Groh departed for Virginia before New Year's Eve.

Interestingly, now that the Jets have shown they can beat three one-win teams to get to .500 after six games, expectations are being ratcheted up.

A popular Big Media question Monday at Weeb Ewbank Hall: "Are you concerned you haven't shown a killer instinct?" A Boston writer sized up the Jets' final 10 games and speculated they could be this season's surprise team, coming into the regular-season finale at home vs. Oakland at 8-7 and with a postseason berth on the line.

But despite their redeeming qualities, the Jets have holes and weaknesses. They've got to make the weekly progress Mangini harps on or this year will wind up as empty as 2000 and then we'll see if this team has as many internal critics as that one did.

Anonymous didn't think so. He sounds like a Mangini convert.

"It's been a fresh change," he said. "I think we're going to continue to win with the way we're going. He does know what he's doing."

NO LIFE AT DEADLINE: The NFL's trading deadline passed Tuesday with no reported activity from the Jets. That's not unusual. The last time they made an in-season trade, they sent linebacker Alex Gordon to the Los Angeles Raiders for cornerback Dennis Price on Oct. 15, 1990.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/sports/19jets.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fSports%2fPro%20Football%2fNational%20Football%20League%2fNew%20York%20Jets

October 19, 2006

Coach Can’t Find the Words for the Jets’ Hobson

By DAVID PICKER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Oct. 18 — Coach Eric Mangini paid a compliment, loud and clear, to outside linebacker Victor Hobson after the Jets beat the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.

Mangini said nothing about Hobson, and that put a smile on Hobson’s face.

“Eric’s like a typical coach,” Hobson said Wednesday before practice. “They expect you to do well. That’s why they put you on the field. Where you hear the biggest comments is when you’re not doing well. So I mean, hey, if me doing well keeps him quiet, then I’m going to keep trying to do well.”

Mangini sure had a lot to say nothing about after the game.

Late in the first quarter, the Dolphins drove 44 yards, moving into field-goal range. Then Joey Harrington floated a short pass that Hobson intercepted and returned 9 yards to the Jets’ 32-yard line.

Near the end of the third quarter, with the Jets leading, 13-3, the Dolphins marched to their 40 before Sammy Morris fumbled. Hobson jumped on the loose ball, setting up a touchdown drive that helped seal a 20-17 victory.

When Hobson arrived at the Jets’ training facility Wednesday, he was reunited with the two balls he had seized from the Dolphins’ offense. A member of the Jets’ staff had placed them in his locker without Hobson’s knowledge.

Hobson, drafted by the Jets in the second round out of Michigan in 2003, finished with three total tackles Sunday. But his takeaways were enough to make him the center of attention Wednesday in the locker room, where he spoke for 15 minutes.

Hobson has also made noise off the field. He bypassed a day off Tuesday to speak with students at a high school in Flushing, Queens. A teenager on the football team told Hobson that he wore the same number as Hobson, No. 54, but that he was not gaining recognition. Results follow hard work, Hobson told him.

Some assistance, it seems, is also part of Hobson’s formula for success. He credited the Jets’ coaching staff with putting players in positions to excel.

“Preparation is a big part of it,” Hobson said when asked how luck affected a game. “On that pass that I intercepted, that was a route that we had went over in practice quite a few times. The coaches made a point to say, ‘Get back, get depth, because that ball is going to come right to you.’ And it came right to me.”

It would have been difficult, in fact, for Hobson to drop the ball. The intended receiver, Randy McMichael, was a few yards behind Hobson and blanketed by Jets safety Kerry Rhodes.

“I was just thinking, ‘Don’t drop the ball,’ ” said Hobson, who has 21 total tackles in six starts for the Jets (3-3). “When you have time to think about it, when the ball is coming right to you, it makes it a little harder.”

In other words, the interception was more difficult than it looked. That is sort of how the season has gone for many Jets players. Under Coach Herman Edwards last season, Hobson started 16 games and never had to worry about whether he would start the next one. This season, Mangini has stressed that players are only as good as their latest performance.

Hobson smiled when asked about the differences between the old and new systems.

“I don’t have no choice but to embrace it,” he said. “If I looked at it like pressure, it would get to me.”

Based on Mangini’s lack of compliments, it is hard to imagine Hobson not starting when the Jets play host to the Detroit Lions (1-5) on Sunday. The game has some added significance for the Jets. Their defensive coordinator last season, Donnie Henderson, is now the defensive coordinator of the Lions.

Detroit is ranked seventh among the 32 N.F.L. teams in passing, averaging 245.2 yards a game, and wide receiver Roy Williams leads the league with 552 receiving yards.

Rhodes said the Jets were not taking the Lions lightly, and he noted that playing behind Hobson made his job easier. Mangini even came around with a compliment when asked about Hobson during a news conference Wednesday.

“He’s done a good job finding the football,” Mangini said. “And that’s important.”

Luckily, Hobson was not within earshot.

EXTRA POINTS

Wide receivers Laveranues Coles (calf) and Tim Dwight (thigh) were listed as questionable for Sunday’s game against Detroit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/sports/football/19lions.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fSports%2fPro%20Football%2fNational%20Football%20League%2fNew%20York%20Jets

October 19, 2006

Lions’ Rogers Is Suspended for Jets’ Game and 3 More

By DAVID PICKER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Oct. 18 — The Detroit Lions appeared to turn a corner Sunday, when they beat the Buffalo Bills, 20-17, for their first victory of the season. Maintaining that momentum against the Jets on Sunday at Giants Stadium, however, will most likely be more difficult than they had hoped.

The Lions will be without defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, who was suspended by the National Football League for four games on Wednesday for violating its policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

Rogers, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, anchored the Lions’ defensive line, which is 11th out of 32 teams in the N.F.L. against the run. The Jets have sputtered on the ground this season, but now they sense an opening.

“We know what type of player Shaun Rogers is,” Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said Wednesday. “He wreaks havoc anytime he’s in the game. You’ve got to be aware of him. He definitely makes their defense better.”

According to The Associated Press, a league official who was granted anonymity said Tuesday night that Rogers’s ban was caused by an over-the-counter substance. The Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday that Rogers’s agent, Kennard McGuire, said that Rogers had taken an appetite suppressant.

McGuire was not available for comment on Wednesday, a representative from his office said.

Rogers, in his sixth season, is listed on the Lions’ Web site as 345 pounds. He has been dealing with a lingering knee injury, and he may use the time away from the game to have minor surgery.

Lions Coach Rod Marinelli indicated during a conference call with reporters on Wednesday that Rogers would not appeal the suspension.

Rogers had 3 sacks and 20 total tackles in six starts for the Lions this season. Cory Redding, a defensive end in his fourth season, is expected to replace him.

“I think they have a good group of defensive linemen, and those guys have played in different spots,” Jets Coach Eric Mangini said. “There is some flexibility there to move guys around. Collectively, they play well. And whether it’s an injury or a situation like that, I think the group will respond.

And whoever they decide to plug in there will do a good job for them.”

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDczMDEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Williams is ready for Jets' shaky secondary

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Roy Williams has emerged as one of the NFL's go-to wide receivers. But the Detroit Lions' mouth that roars would not go to the guarantee quotes for Sunday's rendezvous with the Jets' defense in the land of "The Great Guarantor," Joe Namath.

"I don't see myself in that boat, in the ego boat," Williams told Jets reporters Wednesday. "I see myself speaking the truth. One thing that got misunderstood is that guarantee deal. The guarantee got thrown way out of the water somewhere. What I said is, 'We'll win this game as long as we do what we're supposed to do.' "

Funny how so many athletes want to distance themselves from those bold, brash predictions once they don't work out like Namath's before Super Bowl III. Here's what Williams said before the Lions' Game 2 matchup with the Chicago Bears:

"We'll win this game. Y'all can take that as a guarantee or whatnot, but we will win this game."

Williams also suggested the Lions would score 40 points at Chicago. After they lost, 34-7, Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher did the math. "They only came up 33 points short," he said.

All this is background for Williams' impending Meadowlands visit. The Texan, born, bred and schooled at the University of Texas, likes to talk big, but he's also producing big. His 552 receiving yards, on 36 receptions, leads the NFL (Laveranues Coles' 537 yards is second).

And he has the Jets' attention.

"He's a great receiver," cornerback Andre Dyson said. "He's tall, has long arms, runs good routes and makes plays."

"He's a problem," coach Eric Mangini mused. "He's a problem."

The Jets' cornerbacks-by-committee were in no mood or position to make any pledges about shutting Williams down or up. While Dyson has started all six games at left corner, three players -- Justin Miller, David Barrett and, the last two games, rookie Drew Coleman -- have started on the right side.

The results have been healthy numbers for opponents. Enemy wideouts have 72 catches for 961 yards (13.3 average). The Jets' passing defense is 26th in yardage allowed and tied for second in yielding 79 passing first downs (behind Detroit's 80).

"We just have to play our defense, tackle him, rally to the ball when he catches it," said Coleman, a fellow Texan who played for TCU. "I respect him a lot for what he did in college, but he's just another receiver, like [Miami's Chris] Chambers was."

Miller said the corner rotation isn't hindering the secondary's coverage or continuity.

"Regardless of who's in there and who's not, we just want to be consistent," he said. "We're all confident in each other. It's not a problem for us."

The Jets' defensive issues are interlocking puzzle pieces. Their coverage would be better if their pass rush weren't last in the league in sack rate. And the pressure would improve if the run defense would prevent backs such as Detroit's Kevin Jones from going off.

"The way to rush the passer is to stop the run," DE Kimo von Oelhoffen said. "When you can anticipate the pass is when you get a pass rush. We've got to put ourselves in that position. Kevin is a hell of a back. We've got to stop him and Roy."

Williams knows that NFL calculus, which led him to his brashest statement of the day.

"I believe if Kevin Jones rushes for over 100 yards," he said, "This team can't be beat. In my opinion."

E-mail: lange@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDcyOTYmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets notebook

To Victor, the spoils

Some NFL players get the footballs that they scored touchdowns with painted in bronze for display in home showcases.

Victor Hobson has one of those balls from his fumble return against Buffalo in Week 3. And he has two more sitting in his locker from the first two-takeaway game of his career, which took place Sunday against Miami.

"I've been blessed to have the ability to take advantage of every opportunity I've come across," the linebacker said Wednesday. "That's something I want, that every defensive player wants, to be around the ball."

Hobson is the seventh Jet since 2001 to have an interception and a fumble recovery in a game. The others: 2001 -- LB Marvin Jones; 2002 -- LB James Darling; 2003 -- CB Aaron Beasley; 2004 -- S Erik Coleman, LB Jonathan Vilma and LB Eric Barton.

Rogers, over and out

Detroit coach Rod Marinelli confirmed that nose tackle Shaun Rogers' four-game NFL suspension after testing positive for a banned substance (which Rogers' agent identified as an over-the-counter diet supplement) has begun. So Rogers will miss the Jets.

"We've had injuries, and how we've handled those things is we just move on, put this behind us," Marinelli said. "What it's done is it creates an opportunity for another player."

That player is Marcus Bell. In a tale of the tape of the two sixth-year players, Rogers outweighs the 320-pound Bell by 20 pounds and also holds edges in several career statistics: Pro Bowl berths (2-0), starts (80-14), sacks (22.5-5) and blocked field goals (8-0).

Center Nick Mangold, kicker Mike Nugent and other Jets can't be unhappy with this exchange.

Getting healthy

The Jets' injury report, which reached a season-high 22 players last week, is down to 15. Six players are listed as questionable, with CB David Barrett (hip) and OL Trey Teague (ankle) not on the field for early drills.

-- Randy Lange

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192006/sports/jets/jets_now_on_other_side_of_donnies_defense_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

JETS NOW ON OTHER SIDE OF DONNIE'S DEFENSE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 19, 2006 -- The Jets' offensive players had better wear their hard hats to Sunday's game against the Lions at Giants Stadium.

Donnie Henderson's back in town, this time wearing Detroit Lions' silver and gray as their defensive coordinator following two years in the same capacity with the Jets.

That means the Jets' offense should expect everything from the kitchen sink to the bathroom pipes to the China cabinet thrown at them.

That's how high-volume Henderson is as a person and as a defensive coordinator. One thing he isn't is bashful.

And, less than a year removed from being jettisoned with almost all of Herm Edwards' coaching staff, and after being given a cursory interview for the head-coaching job that eventually went to Eric Mangini, one thing Henderson will be Sunday is very fired up.

Make no mistake. Henderson wakes up every morning fired up.

But Sunday, against a team he feels wronged him, Lions head coach Rod Marinelli might do well sedating his fiery coordinator to keep him in check.

As it stands, Henderson, who always was very amicable with the beat reporters who cover the Jets, has run for the hills this week with regard to interview requests. He never returned a phone call from The Post on Monday and declined a request by the Jets to do a conference call this week.

Yesterday a Lions' official said, "Donnie's just laying low this week until after the game."

Henderson's reticence isn't unexpected. He avoided the very reporters he schmoozed for two years when the going got tough during Edwards' departure.

None of that matters to the Lions as long as Henderson can find a way to shut down Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Leon Washington and Co.

"I coached Donnie in college at Utah State, so I know all about him," Marinelli said yesterday. "He's as ornery now as he was then. The one thing he brings to me is a tremendous loyalty. He is an extremely loyal guy, an extremely tough guy, very demanding and built on fundamentals and all those things I want. I couldn't be happier."

Asked how fired up he expects Henderson to be to face the Jets, Marinelli said, "Hopefully, as he's just preparing this defense to be the best that they can be, not worrying about what environment were in, where we're going. That shouldn't be a factor. The factor is getting this defense ready."

Though the 3-3 Jets have not been prolific on offense (ranked 22nd in the NFL), the 1-5 Lions come in with some issues. They're ranked an unimpressive 27th on defense, including 30th in pass defense, and they're going to be without star DT Shaun Rogers, their best run stopper. Rogers, who has a knee injury, was suspended for four games yesterday by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy regarding steroids.

The Jets know what Henderson demanded when he was here, so they have a good idea what to expect.

"I know he'll be fired up for the game, because he always is," TE Chris Baker said.

QB Pennington said, "I'm sure he'll be fired up about the game. Being around Donnie for two years, you know that he brings fire and intensity to his defense. That's how they play. They play with a lot of intensity; they play very fast. They don't play with hesitancy.

"So, when you play against a defense like that, you've got to be focused on the fundamentals and what your core job is and the details of it because they can make things happen."

Asked what his expectations are of Henderson, Pennington said, "Just with my experience with Donnie, I think you have to go into the game expecting the unexpected and not being surprised by a look or a pressure look that you haven't seen. He always does a really good job of throwing a new wrinkle in there and attacking the offense in a way that he thinks will help them. So you do have to expect that.

"He definitely understands our personnel, so he can definitely talk to the guys about the strengths of our personnel."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192006/sports/jets/rogers_suspension_boost_for_jets_o_jets_mark_cannizzaro.htm

ROGERS SUSPENSION BOOST FOR JETS 'O'

By MARK CANNIZZARO

October 19, 2006 -- JET NOTES

The Jets catch a significant break Sunday with not having to face Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, who's not only nursing a knee injury but yesterday was suspended for four games by the NFL for violating the league substance abuse policy regarding steroid use.

The Jets' running game, ranked 21st in the NFL, can use all the help it can get.

"We know what type of player Shaun Rogers is," Chad Pennington said yesterday. "He wreaks havoc any time he's in the game."

Next on the Lions' depth chart is Marcus Bell, who would start in Rogers' place.

"We've had injuries and now this and how we've handled those things is we just move on, put this behind us," Lions coach Rod Marinelli said. "What it's done is it creates an opportunity for another player."

Rogers, one of the NFL's top defensive tackles, said according to reports that he was taking an appetite suppressant that contained a banned substance, a form of ephedrine, to help eliminate the late-night cravings he had while dealing with a sleeping disorder.

Rogers, in his sixth season, had surgery in the preseason to correct sleep apnea and said he stopped taking the product before reporting for training camp. He failed an Aug. 6 league test.

The suspension is immediate, meaning that Rogers will miss this Sunday's game at the Jets, home games against Atlanta (Nov. 5) and San Francisco (Nov. 12), and a game at Arizona (Nov. 19). He will be eligible to return for the Thanksgiving Day game against the Dolphins on Nov. 23.

In his career, he has 314 Tackles and 22 sacks.

While CB David Barrett has said he's healthy enough to play though he's been on the inactive list recently, Eric Mangini yesterday said Barrett's situation "has been injury-based."

"David's done a good job with everything that we've had medically in terms of his rehab," Mangini said. "It's just one of those things where sometimes you have a setback, but David's situation has been more medical than anything else."

Barrett is second on the team with two INTs.

Curtis Martin, whose presence has been scarce since he's been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, is scheduled to address the media today, according to a team official.

The following is a statement from the Jets regarding the reported threats on NFL stadiums this weekend:

"The Department of Homeland Security has advised the NFL that a threat against several stadiums is not credible. Nonetheless, we remain vigilant against any security threat. Working in conjunction with NFL Security, the NJSEA and local authorities, we will continue to observe the comprehensive security procedures we have in place on game days, including secure facility perimeters, pat-downs, and bag searches."

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjEmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMDcyMjQmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Jets blog

A dearth of chances

October 19, 2006

Chad Pennington entertained a serious-sounding question at his Wednesday news conference. Usually, he was asked, when a quarterback and receiver don't hook up on a big pass, the QB likes to go right back to the receiver to show confidence in him.

Since Pennington hasn't thrown the ball to James Dearth since that fourth-and-goal interception against Indianapolis in Game 4, the questioner wanted to know if he and Dearth were OK.

Pennington chuckled. That was only the second pass thrown to Dearth, who primarily is the Jets' unerring long snapper, in five seasons.

"There are no problems," the quarterback said. "We have a great relationship. James and I are working hard every day after practice to get that fixed."

-- Randy Lange

Archived