The secret service

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Morgan Moses played half of a season as a rookie.  Since then, he hasn’t missed a game until last year (missed 3 with a torn pectoral…still returned to play in two playoff games with one arm). 

This narrative that our RT is injury prone is ridiculous.

replace Moses in this narrative with Aaron Rodgers prior to 2023 

old players get old fast in the NFL 

Moses torn pec (and 6 month recovery) is not a sign of durability just as Rodgers broken thumb wasn't a sign of his durability 

realistically I'm not sure we see either Tyron or Morgan Moses in any preseason game action.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Morgan Moses played half of a season as a rookie.  Since then, he hasn’t missed a game until last year (missed 3 with a torn pectoral…still returned to play in two playoff games with one arm). 

IMG_6656.jpeg

I agree that Moses will probably play all 17 games this season and that he's not injury prone, but I have one small correction.  He missed one game (or at least he didn't start the game) when he was with the Jets previously (2021).  He also left several games early last year with the Ravens when he was dealing with the torn pec.

We can all assume there will be some injures but regardless of that this oline is VASTLY better than last year.  Even a guy like Simpson who I think has serious limitations will be a huge upgrade over laken.

I just wish Douglas was not such a myopic dolt who drafts one guy from a high priory position group and says 'we good!'   A guard should have been picked in the last draft and a 2nd wr.

Instead he trades all over the place and ridiculously takes two rbs.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We can all assume there will be some injures but regardless of that this oline is VASTLY better than last year.  Even a guy like Simpson who I think has serious limitations will be a huge upgrade over laken.

I just wish Douglas was not such a myopic dolt who drafts one guy from a high priory position group and says 'we good!'   A guard should have been picked in the last draft and a 2nd wr.

Instead he trades all over the place and ridiculously takes two rbs.

not coming away with IOL depth in the 4th was frustrating to see.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

That's my biggest concern with Moses.  He's isn't injury prone per se, but he has a ton of mileage in this league, and mid 30's linemen coming off major injuries aren't at the top of the list of players who are likely to hold up for an entire season.

We saw this firsthand with Duane Brown last season.

This is one of the reasons I was fully in favor of going OT in the first round.  If/when Smith or Moses go down this season, we have a blue chip OT ready to step in.  For once the Jets are in a position that if an OT goes down they don't automatically have to go into "lost season" mode.

Hopefully Fashanu is legit, shows alot of promise this year, and is ready to step into a full time role at LT in 2025.  I think chances are high we will see what he brings to the table at some point in 2024.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Trotter said:

Big ticket looks in shape

He looked in shape last year, and got torched during the season with 16 penalties and 12 sacks given up, which led the Jets offensive line.

I wish him well, and hope he has a good season, but....

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Top 5 OL potential. Let’s see what they’ve got

Actually I'm confident about every position EXCEPT center...all the other guys have proved themselves to be capable but no-one is talking about our center who is actually the weakest spot on the line. the opposing D is going to try to come right up the middle on us because he us a 2nd year player and only looked "ok" last year at center. People are focused on the tackles but as Tip goes, we go. 

• WTF? 1

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

replace Moses in this narrative with Aaron Rodgers prior to 2023 

Moses torn pec (and 6 month recovery) is not a sign of durability just as Rodgers broken thumb wasn't a sign of his durability realistically I'm not sure we see either Tyron or Morgan Moses in any preseason game action.

Wow, talk about inventing a narrative... Moses says he partially tore his pec in week 4 and played 14 games through it. After the season he got surgery which usually requires six months to heal. Rodgers also played through the thumb injury. Those are hardly examples of old players falling off a cliff. Sorry, gotta come up with better examples to fit your agenda.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Wow, talk about inventing a narrative... Moses says he partially tore his pec in week 4 and played 14 games through it. After the season he got surgery which usually requires six months to heal. Rodgers also played through the thumb injury. Those are hardly examples of old players falling off a cliff. Sorry, gotta come up with better examples to fit your agenda.

It's not my agenda it's father time's 

These are not young players by any standard and this super bowl run everyone is dreaming about is 20 games long 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

He looked in shape last year, and got torched during the season with 16 penalties and 12 sacks given up, which led the Jets offensive line.

I wish him well, and hope he has a good season, but....

it was a terrible attempt at sarcasim on my part - i was referring to tyron smith in the picture at the top of the thread.

Unfortunatly, I diont have much hope for mekhi - also wish him well but i just dont think he is going to control the weight

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is it possible that they didnt feel those players were better than what they could get with FA?  Or that they felt they would  use the 2 RBs more than a back up guard? 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's not my agenda it's father time's 

These are not young players by any standard and this super bowl run everyone is dreaming about is 20 games long 

No doubt Rodgers is an elder statesman, but his frailty is not proven by a broken thumb that he played through. Your evidence is bogus. Pec injuries happen at all stages of players' careers. Again, not proof of aging issues.

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Is it possible that they didnt feel those players were better than what they could get with FA?  Or that they felt they would  use the 2 RBs more than a back up guard? 

obviously they had their reasons for taking the approach they did. 

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

No doubt Rodgers is an elder statesman, but his frailty is not proven by a broken thumb that he played through. Your evidence is bogus.

Rodgers past two seasons, at age 38 & 39, were both below par for his career, because at 38 he hurt his thumb and played through it, with the injury lingering, and at 39 he tore his Achilles and missed the entire season.  Now he's 40, and coming back from that serious Achilles injury..

That he is a player in production decline is a statistical fact at this point.  That he is an older player for the NFL is a historical fact, few QB's play into their 40's.  That he has suffered two seasons, back to back, with meaningful, production-reducing injuries, is also a fact.

One can want him or root for him to not be in decline, or want him to have an amazing bounce-back season, and it's possible he will. 

But there is no question that time and injury is taking a toll on his career at this point in time.  

Ultimately, he has to prove his doubters (and father time) wrong by playing to an elite level in 2024.  If he doesn't, or cannot match his 2022 (injured thumb year) production, it will further support that he was and is a player in normal, unexceptional, entirely predictable age-related and health-related decline.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Between pick #111, where they started, and #134 where they took Allen, exactly one guard came off the board. I’m sure we’ll all be watching the upcoming career of Pittsburgh’s new guard, Mason McCormick, closely. If that pick is what leads them to cut Herbig, and the Jets pick him up, I’ll be very pleased with the results. I’d rather have a veteran backing up the interior this year over a day three rookie. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Rodgers past two seasons, at age 38 & 39, were both below par for his career, because at 38 he hurt his thumb and played through it, with the injury lingering, and at 39 he tore his Achilles and missed the entire season.  Now he's 40, and coming back from that serious Achilles injury..

That he is a player in production decline is a statistical fact at this point.  That he is an older player for the NFL is a historical fact, few QB's play into their 40's.  That he has suffered two seasons, back to back, with meaningful, production-reducing injuries, is also a fact.

One can want him or root for him to not be in decline, or want him to have an amazing bounce-back season, and it's possible he will. 

But there is no question that time and injury is taking a toll on his career at this point in time.  

Ultimately, he has to prove his doubters (and father time) wrong by playing to an elite level in 2024.  If he doesn't, or cannot match his 2022 (injured thumb year) production, it will further support that he was and is a player in normal, unexceptional, entirely predictable age-related and health-related decline.

I agree with all of this. He's an old player. Whether he is the exception to the rule or an example of the rule is yet to be seen. On the other side, he's pretty tough and resilient. He played QB with a broken thumb and he recovered from the achilles pretty much faster than anyone before him. Go figure. The age issue is much more about speed of decision making, ability to move, arm strength, and the like. Durability is not the only factor. Those are the things I'd like to see demonstrated. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:18 PM, Greenseed4 said:

IMG_6656.jpeg

Those are the narratives that seem to hang around longest.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Between pick #111, where they started, and #134 where they took Allen, exactly one guard came off the board. I’m sure we’ll all be watching the upcoming career of Pittsburgh’s new guard, Mason McCormick, closely. If that pick is what leads them to cut Herbig, and the Jets pick him up, I’ll be very pleased with the results. I’d rather have a veteran backing up the interior this year over a day three rookie. 

I liked McCormick but Bortolini would have been a nice add too. Not the end of the world but would have liked to see them add a mid-round IOL for depth. Herbig would be a nice addition too.

Hard to understand the 2 RB thing.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hard to understand the 2 RB thing.

I fully understand this being stuck in many a craw, lol. I don’t have high expectations for players taken this late in the draft in general, but I didn’t mind the two shots at RB there because RB is often the position where you can still find rookie starters at the end of the fifth round. If Davis emerges as Breece’s primary backup, I imagine the complaints will simmer down a bit.