Do Numbers Lie?

afosomf

Numbers lie

If, as Bill Belichick and his mentor, Bill Parcells, so often say, "It is what it is," what the Patriots may be is not quite what they appear to be. Since defeating the Panthers in the Super Bowl two years ago, Belichick's team has gone 17-9, but has done it by going 13-0 against losing teams and 4-9 against teams with winning records

I always felt patsies were way overrated... in an age where most NFL teams suck, this team is the ultimate bottom feeder.

No.

The Patriots are what they are. They are good, but they have come up short against the better teams. 0-5 versus Colts and Denver the past two seasons.

As with all successful teams, attrition starts to catch-up to them. Patriots are no different. The losses in the coaching staff are not easily overcome. They went from having the same coordinators for 5 yeasrs to having three different coordinators the past two seasons. Plus, it is virtually impossible to replace the amount of experience Weis and RAC had.

The Patriots have done an excellent job of replacing players. That they are still winning games is a testament to that. However, the players they have brought in are not making the big plays the previous players did. Assante Samuel is a nice DB. He is not Ty Law though. Ellis Hobbs is an ok DB also. However, he is not Tyronne Poole. :-s Rodney Harrison has been out more then on the field the past two seasons. Eugen Wilson has regressed or been injured. Rember Randall "Blue" Gay? Me neither. Tedy Bruschi is still good, but his plays are fewer and fewer these days. And Big Play Willie is now a mercenary in Cleveland. Those big playes were usually the difference in the big games.

The Patriots are a team in transition. They will remain contenders. Too much talent for them not to be. They just need more players making big plays to get them over the top.

Good assessment Pfsikh.

Nice to see that suddenly things like coordinator changes, players being let go , in fact do matter in Patriot world.

The defensive line is a strong point along with Brady , Maroney and the OL.

I think the weak division and soft schedule assures the Pats make the play-offs like last year .

Unless the secondary grows up in a hurry though, I think the Pats may be a 2nd round easy out again depending on the venue and opponent.

Good assessment Pfsikh.

Nice to see that suddenly things like coordinator changes, players being let go , in fact do matter in Patriot world.

The defensive line is a strong point along with Brady , Maroney and the OL.

I think the weak division and soft schedule assures the Pats make the play-offs like last year .

Unless the secondary grows up in a hurry though, I think the Pats may be a 2nd round easy out again depending on the venue and opponent.

GS -

It is tough to use last year as a judgement for anything. Between injuries and the loss of coordinators it was tough to say what the Patriots actually had. Plus, they were coming off a two year stretch when they went 34-4. No one had done that, so a comeback to Earth should have been expected.

This year the losses to the Broncos and Colts suggests last year's losses werenot and abberation and the Patriots are no greater then third in the AFC pecking order.

Nothing in those game suggests the Colts or Broncos should be prohibitive favorites either.

The secondary does need some work. It would be nice, for us, if Wilson started playing like he did his first two years.

Archived