A note on Bryan Pata's funeral

JetCane

Posted on Tue, Nov. 14, 2006

BRYAN PATA | 1984-2006

An outpouring of grief, love at wake for UM's PataMore than 500 mourners, many in their early 20s, attended a wake in Opa-locka for slain Miami football player Bryan Pata.

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

EMILY HARRIS / FOR THE MIAMI HERALD

EMOTIONAL OUTLET: Two of the more than 500 who went to the New Birth Baptist Church in Opa-locka for Bryan Pata's wake share a hug.

Video | Friends and family gather at wake for slain football player

Video | University of Miami football player murdered

More than 500 community members poured into the New Birth Baptist Church in Opa-locka on Monday night to pay their respects to slain University of Miami football player Bryan Pata.

Pata, 22, was shot in the head one week ago tonight outside his Kendall apartment complex. His funeral, open to the public, is at 1 p.m. today at the same church, 2300 NW 135th St.

''He looked real peaceful,'' said Tavoris Orr, 22, who said he knew Pata from Miami Central High. ``Everyone has their time to leave, but he was so young. He didn't get a chance to live his life.''

Orr surveyed the huge gathering that overflowed outside the church and into the parking area.

''This is love, love, love,'' he said.

Pata's mother, Jeanette, and his father, Junior Pierre -- both born in Haiti -- were surrounded by several children, friends and relatives.

Jeanette broke down near Bryan's body and had to be held up by her sons, including Florida State tight end Edwin Pierre-Pata, who looks strikingly similar to Bryan. They lifted her and slowly led her out of the church and into a limousine.

Dozens of mourners formed a line that began outside the church and snaked into the chapel, where Pata lay in an open casket. He was dressed in a white suit with white gloves and a red tie. His hair, in dreadlocks, was tied in a ponytail.

Colorful wreaths adorned the church, many in UM colors or designs. One was shaped like a football with a green-and-orange U, and Pata's 95 jersey number in the middle.

Mourners of all ages attended, with hundreds appearing to be in their early 20s. Many of them wore custom-designed T-shirts in memory of Pata.

'I knew him from school. If you had a frown on your face, he'd always do something to make you laugh -- sing a song or grab you and say, `Come on now!' '' said former Miami Central classmate Bridgette Metayer, whose T-shirt, covered with Pata photographs, read, ``Losing a friend never felt this painful. Bryan S. Pata . . . RIP . . .''

Lauren Brown and Latoya Burnett wore T-shirts that read: ``In loving memory of Bryan Pata 8/12/84-11/7/06, Another Rocket Has Fallen.

''I'm sad,'' said Brown, who was a cheerleader at Central when Pata played football there. ``He was loved by a lot of people. He always seemed like a fun person.

``I'm still shocked about how he died. A gunshot wound? I never knew him to have any enemies.''

Juan Menard, 22, was friends with Pata when the two attended North Miami Senior High together.

''He was a wonderful person -- a comedian,'' Menard said. ``There wasn't a day I went to class with him and thought it would be boring, because he made us laugh. He looked after me like I was his own brother.

''For how he looked and how big he was, you'd think he was dangerous,'' Menard said. ``But he was the sweetest person in the world.''

Shaunia Stokes, who went to Central and Thomas Jefferson Middle School with Pata, shook her head in agreement.

''The church is full, that shows you how move Bryan was loved,'' Stokes said. ``I want to remember him alive with aspirations to make it to the NFL. That was his dream, to take care of his mom, his family and play in the NFL.

``And he came so close to making it come true.''

Miami Herald sportswriter Michelle Kaufman contributed to this report.

For the record, there are too, too many young black men being shot on the streets in our country.

JC

Posted on Tue, Nov. 14, 2006

BRYAN PATA | 1984-2006

An outpouring of grief, love at wake for UM's PataMore than 500 mourners, many in their early 20s, attended a wake in Opa-locka for slain Miami football player Bryan Pata.

BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

EMILY HARRIS / FOR THE MIAMI HERALD

EMOTIONAL OUTLET: Two of the more than 500 who went to the New Birth Baptist Church in Opa-locka for Bryan Pata's wake share a hug.

Video | Friends and family gather at wake for slain football player

Video | University of Miami football player murdered

More than 500 community members poured into the New Birth Baptist Church in Opa-locka on Monday night to pay their respects to slain University of Miami football player Bryan Pata.

Pata, 22, was shot in the head one week ago tonight outside his Kendall apartment complex. His funeral, open to the public, is at 1 p.m. today at the same church, 2300 NW 135th St.

''He looked real peaceful,'' said Tavoris Orr, 22, who said he knew Pata from Miami Central High. ``Everyone has their time to leave, but he was so young. He didn't get a chance to live his life.''

Orr surveyed the huge gathering that overflowed outside the church and into the parking area.

''This is love, love, love,'' he said.

Pata's mother, Jeanette, and his father, Junior Pierre -- both born in Haiti -- were surrounded by several children, friends and relatives.

Jeanette broke down near Bryan's body and had to be held up by her sons, including Florida State tight end Edwin Pierre-Pata, who looks strikingly similar to Bryan. They lifted her and slowly led her out of the church and into a limousine.

Dozens of mourners formed a line that began outside the church and snaked into the chapel, where Pata lay in an open casket. He was dressed in a white suit with white gloves and a red tie. His hair, in dreadlocks, was tied in a ponytail.

Colorful wreaths adorned the church, many in UM colors or designs. One was shaped like a football with a green-and-orange U, and Pata's 95 jersey number in the middle.

Mourners of all ages attended, with hundreds appearing to be in their early 20s. Many of them wore custom-designed T-shirts in memory of Pata.

'I knew him from school. If you had a frown on your face, he'd always do something to make you laugh -- sing a song or grab you and say, `Come on now!' '' said former Miami Central classmate Bridgette Metayer, whose T-shirt, covered with Pata photographs, read, ``Losing a friend never felt this painful. Bryan S. Pata . . . RIP . . .''

Lauren Brown and Latoya Burnett wore T-shirts that read: ``In loving memory of Bryan Pata 8/12/84-11/7/06, Another Rocket Has Fallen.

''I'm sad,'' said Brown, who was a cheerleader at Central when Pata played football there. ``He was loved by a lot of people. He always seemed like a fun person.

``I'm still shocked about how he died. A gunshot wound? I never knew him to have any enemies.''

Juan Menard, 22, was friends with Pata when the two attended North Miami Senior High together.

''He was a wonderful person -- a comedian,'' Menard said. ``There wasn't a day I went to class with him and thought it would be boring, because he made us laugh. He looked after me like I was his own brother.

''For how he looked and how big he was, you'd think he was dangerous,'' Menard said. ``But he was the sweetest person in the world.''

Shaunia Stokes, who went to Central and Thomas Jefferson Middle School with Pata, shook her head in agreement.

''The church is full, that shows you how move Bryan was loved,'' Stokes said. ``I want to remember him alive with aspirations to make it to the NFL. That was his dream, to take care of his mom, his family and play in the NFL.

``And he came so close to making it come true.''

Miami Herald sportswriter Michelle Kaufman contributed to this report.

For the record, there are too, too many young black men being shot on the streets in our country.

JC

Terrible story and terrible truth (kids killing eachother) JC. RIP Bryan Pata.

Archived