Some Notable Mentions From OTA: Eric Watts

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

The defensive and special teams coaches have shown a history of finding
and developing players.  Watts becoming a cheaper version of JFM wouldn't
surprise me at all

Obviously some premium assets need to be used on the defense but if they’re able to keep that up it’ll allow them to invest a lot on the offensive side of the ball.

Watts and Tyreek Johnson (UDFA out of South Carolina) are both kind of a similar athletic profile at edge where they’re big and explosive but don’t change direction super well. Might not project to being a bendy top five in the league edge rusher but that type of athlete can be useful if developed and used effectively and this defensive staff has been decent at that.

Seems like they identified someone like that as being potentially useful and able to stick for the defense and took a couple cheap cracks at it. Not bad resource allocation.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

Obviously some premium assets need to be used on the defense but if they’re able to keep that up it’ll allow them to invest a lot on the offensive side of the ball.

Watts and Tyreek Johnson (UDFA out of South Carolina) are both kind of a similar athletic profile at edge where they’re big and explosive but don’t change direction super well. Might not project to being a bendy top five in the league edge rusher but that type of athlete can be useful if developed and used effectively and this defensive staff has been decent at that.

Seems like they identified someone like that as being potentially useful and able to stick for the defense and took a couple cheap cracks at it. Not bad resource allocation.

Premium assets have been used on the D,  It has been the offense that has pretty much been ignored or the young players they drafted didn't develop, at least partially due to poor coaching.  The defense clearly has great coaches that can get the best out of players and puts them in position to succeed.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

Premium assets have been used on the D,  It has been the offense that has pretty much been ignored or the young players they drafted didn't develop, at least partially due to poor coaching.  The defense clearly has great coaches that can get the best out of players and puts them in position to succeed.

Yup, I think they’ll need to go defense from time to time early but hopefully they can go heavy offense. They’ve definitely done more on the offensive side lately (with mixed results) after ignoring it for a long time and hopefully having a little more of a focus there continues.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I agree with you from a coaching standpoint but not an asset standpoint. Picks are assets too.

17 of our last 25 draft picks have been used on offensive players. It sucks that picks like Wilson and Becton didn't work out , but you can't claim that offense hasd been ignored. That's rediculous.

I'll even say that we've been lucky to have our players coached up on defense because it's been ignored.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

I agree with you from a coaching standpoint but not an asset standpoint. Picks are assets too.

17 of our last 25 draft picks have been used on offensive players. It sucks that picks like Wilson and Becton didn't work out , but you can't claim that offense hasd been ignored. That's rediculous.

I'll even say that we've been lucky to have our players coached up on defense because it's been ignored.

Do you know why so many of the Jets draft picks have been used on offense?  Because it was ignored for years!!!  Yes, beginning in 2020 JD has drafted more offensive players, but look at the 2015-2019 drafts.  Further, since Mark Sanchez was the Jets 1st round pick in 2009, only one offensive player (Sam Darnold) was drafted in the 1st round while 9 defensive players (Q, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Leonard Willams, Calvin Pryor, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Quinton Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson, and Kyle Wilson) were taken in the 1st round.  For the two years before Sanchez, the 1st round picks were used on D (Vernon Gholston and Darrelle Revis). Also, take a look at the 2nd and 3rd round picks.  In a number of years, the Jets didn't have a 2nd round pick, and the next player they took in the 3rd round was also a defensive player.  Last year, when the Jets needed both an OT and a WR, the 1st round pick was used on McDonald.  So Joe using the majority of his draft picks on offensive players over the last 4 years was TOTALLY merited and what was needed.  In addition, look at where the FA $s have gone.  On D, the Jets have signed Reed, Quincy Williams, Chuck Clark, Javon Kinlaw, Mosely, Lawson, Reddick, Solomon Thomas, and several others. Until the  Jets added Rodgers last year, who were the big FA offensive signings?  Most of them were older, cheaper veterans on the OL, or backup QBs.

I can totally claim that the offense has been ignored up until JD was hired, and that's what I was referring to.  He hasn't ignored the offense, he's been trying to compensate and make up for what his predecessors did in ignoring the offense.

• Upvote 3

Great ten, bench, vertical, super smart

2024 NFL Combine Participant
 • 2024 Reese's Senior Bowl Participant
 • 2023 Chucky Mullins Courage Award
 • 2023 Bednarik Award Watch List
 • 2022 Bruce Feldman's Top 50 Freaks List
 ACADEMIC HIGHLIGHTS
 • SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll (2021)
 • Athletic Director's Honor Roll (Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2023)
 • SEC First-Year Academic Honor Roll (2020-21)

• Upvote 2

The guy who pops out on video is Bryan McGregor from Michigan. Seeming much quicker off the snap, good motor  and seems to locate the ball much more quickly. This guy Watts seems slow off the snap and really did nothing in that video 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I posted about Eric Watts back on May 2nd.

Keeping an eye on this kid.

Ok. We all knew about that back in early May as well. This was about him impressing some folks in OTAs and to keep an eye on.

The three DEs signed as DE have potential, as well as some of

the players who were on and off last years roster.   Don't count

out Michael Clemons he played significant snaps on the NFL's

#3 defense. I wish we had done more at WR in the draft and

had taken one of the three RBs that had similar size and speed to

Breece Hall

46 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Can someone please tell me what they see in this guy watching this. Seriously, this is awful. 

Was that this past season or as a freshman? Playing injured? Need a little more info before trashing the guy off 1 game.

On 5/25/2024 at 7:15 PM, JKlecko said:

Do you know why so many of the Jets draft picks have been used on offense?  Because it was ignored for years!!!  Yes, beginning in 2020 JD has drafted more offensive players, but look at the 2015-2019 drafts.  Further, since Mark Sanchez was the Jets 1st round pick in 2009, only one offensive player (Sam Darnold) was drafted in the 1st round while 9 defensive players (Q, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Leonard Willams, Calvin Pryor, Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Quinton Coples, Muhammad Wilkerson, and Kyle Wilson) were taken in the 1st round.  For the two years before Sanchez, the 1st round picks were used on D (Vernon Gholston and Darrelle Revis). Also, take a look at the 2nd and 3rd round picks.  In a number of years, the Jets didn't have a 2nd round pick, and the next player they took in the 3rd round was also a defensive player.  Last year, when the Jets needed both an OT and a WR, the 1st round pick was used on McDonald.  So Joe using the majority of his draft picks on offensive players over the last 4 years was TOTALLY merited and what was needed.  In addition, look at where the FA $s have gone.  On D, the Jets have signed Reed, Quincy Williams, Chuck Clark, Javon Kinlaw, Mosely, Lawson, Reddick, Solomon Thomas, and several others. Until the  Jets added Rodgers last year, who were the big FA offensive signings?  Most of them were older, cheaper veterans on the OL, or backup QBs.

I can totally claim that the offense has been ignored up until JD was hired, and that's what I was referring to.  He hasn't ignored the offense, he's been trying to compensate and make up for what his predecessors did in ignoring the offense.

No argument there.  And the worst thing is so many of those defensive players, couples, Lee, Pryor, milliner, were pretty much busts.  I would’ve added wilky but he w as good until he got his contract.  Richardson was also very good for a couple of seasons.  And compounding that were the second round picks who just weren’t that good or injured.  There were just too many top pick misses.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Was that this past season or as a freshman? Playing injured? Need a little more info before trashing the guy off 1 game.

I don’t know - all I know it was part of an article that was taking about his prowess. How this game is an example of his talent is beyond me. He is pedestrian at best - what is concerning if this indeed is a recent game is that it’s a step up on competition  . Imagine going up against pros. I hope I’m wrong

• Upvote 1

I just watched the NC State highlight of him. I just don’t get it- he looks lost out there and doesn’t stand out in the least. The only thing I think is going on here is that the Jets want to turn him into an interior linemen - he has no shot in the pros as a pass rusher 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:48 PM, JKlecko said:

This just isn't true.  It might seem that way based on who has panned out, but this regime absolutely has invested a ton of premium assets into the offense.

Since 2020 when JD took over, 5 of 8 1st rounders have gone towards the offense(Becton, Zach, AVT, Garrett, Olu).  4 out of 4 2nd rounders have gone towards the offense as well(Mims, Moore, Breece, Tippmann).  Make it 5 of 5 if you count Corley, the first pick in the 3rd and a guy they were trying to get in the 2nd.  I won't count the two 2nds(and a drop down of 2 spots in the 1st) that were used to bring in Rodgers, another offensive player.  We've invested the vast majority of our premium assets into the offense.  

What you said at the end is true, and is the reason why the defense has had so much success.  They've drafted the right guys, whether early on or later in the draft, and their coaching has done a great job of turning them into solid contributors.  

18 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I just watched the NC State highlight of him. I just don’t get it- he looks lost out there and doesn’t stand out in the least. The only thing I think is going on here is that the Jets want to turn him into an interior linemen - he has no shot in the pros as a pass rusher 

I don't think you are right.  I don't think they necessarily are looking at him for the interior.  He is what?  Around 275?  That is not a DT.  I think they want guys with speed enough to cover the wide gaps and not necessarily guys with pass rush skill.  That is what McDonald is supposed to be.  Most of the Tennessee clip he jujst walked off the line into the tackle and got stoned.  There were a few where he showed noticeably more push and urgency, but most of it looked lame as if by design. 

When people were talking about Jermaine Johnson at 10 or 4, I felt the same way.  He was much better than this guy, but I think his college sacks were a mirage.  He has turned into a very nice pro and is even getting sacks, but I see him more as effort and speed/power than any pass rush moves.  The Sputh Carolina guy posted above had a 9.39 RAS but I still might be able to top that 3 cone.  I think of these guys like Clemons.  I think @derp has a point.  They can be useful, but they are not going to be "bendy" edge rushers.  They also might have extra value on special teams.  The new rules will probably change the profile and having bigger guys that can run and hold lanes will probably be huge.

Off this topic @JKlecko I get that they needed to invest in the offense, but Douglas has been here for 5 full years.  The time for blaming the sins of prior regimes is long over.

@Joe W. Namath LOL at Brownlee being some great UDFA find.  I am probably among the people highest on him, but that is a hope/prayer for future production.  You don't get proclaimed as killing it with an undrafted guy for going 5/56/1 TD in 7 games with 5 starts.  If he does not increase his special teams snaps he will be on the bubble his entire career.

13 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Clemons is better. That Tennessee tape was awful. Wait until this guy goes against the Jets OL. Just don’t see it

They are both epically slow off the ball and both have zero pass rush moves.   If this dude makes it then clemons doesn't.   

1 hour ago, Cyberjet said:

The Jets paid this guy a pretty sizable signing bonus for a UDFA ($245,000 in total guarantees) so, I have to assume that the coaching staff see's something in him, that apparently doesn't jump out on tape.

The fact that Watts seems to be raising some eyebrows at OTA's is a good sign.

The Jets held their first OTA practice open to the media on Tuesday, and Watts was one of the team's most notable standouts.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They are both epically slow off the ball and both have zero pass rush moves.   If this dude makes it then clemons doesn't.   

Isn’t Clemons now an  interior lineman? 

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

The Jets paid this guy a pretty sizable signing bonus for a UDFA ($245,000 in total guarantees) so, I have to assume that coaching staff see's something in him, that apparently doesn't jump out on tape.

The fact that Watts seems to be raising some eyebrows at OTA's is a good sign.

True but I am always cautious when guys have good workout numbers and do well on one on one drills but when the bullets start flying  the tape demonstrates mediocrity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cyberjet said:

True but I am always cautious when guys have good workout numbers and do well on one on one drills but when the bullets start flying  the tape demonstrates mediocrity. 

Understandable, but he seems to making a decent showing thus far.