Thursday's Jets News

SoFlaJets

Jets notebook

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Jones' mistake

Adrian Jones on Wednesday called his early Saturday morning arrest on drunken driving charges on Long Island "a very stupid decision that I made."

"I was definitely disappointed in myself," the backup offensive lineman told reporters at his locker, attended by two members of the Jets' media relations staff. "I've already apologized to my teammates. I want people to see me as an example."

In so many words, coach Eric Mangini agreed.

"If you make a mistake, there are consequences for your mistake," Mangini said at his daily news conference. "The important thing is to learn from it, understand it, not let it happen again, let everyone else learn from it as well and accept the consequences for your actions."

Some of Jones' consequences after being arrested at 4:45 a.m., a mile from the Jets' complex, are a reported $20,000 team fine, suspension of his driver's license and NFL monitoring as a first-time offender of its substance-abuse policy.

Jones, 25, who started at both tackle positions last year but has played behind rookie D'Brickashaw Ferguson and veteran Anthony Clement this season, was deactivated without explanation for the first time before Sunday's game against Houston.

Mangini declined to say if Jones will be inactive for Green Bay, but that is likely one more consequence for the third-year player.

Briefs

The Jets' injury report added four players and is up to 15, seven of them questionable, including DE Bryan Thomas (shoulder). Thomas and WR Jerricho Cotchery (chest, probable) made their first appearances on the list this season. ... Safety Guss Scott was waived a week after being acquired on waivers from Houston. ... Justin Miller is back as the NFL's kickoff return leader without a return vs. Houston. His 28.9-yard average leads New England's Laurence Maroney by one-tenth of a yard, or 3.6 inches. ... Wednesday was the 14th anniversary of Dennis Byrd's paralyzing collision with Scott Mersereau at Giants Stadium.

-- Randy Lange

Jets blog

Kerry's happy feet

November 30, 2006

A highlight of ESPN's "Cold Pizza" show Tuesday was Kerry Rhodes' rendition of the Jets' "Penguin Dance" in honor (?) of coach Eric Mangini.

Mangini was well aware of the performance when he fielded a question on Rhodes at his Wednesday news conference.

"I think Kerry's done a good job," Mangini said. "He needs to keep improving his level of communication in the secondary. His tackling's gotten better. His dancing could improve on 'Cold Pizza.' I thought that was OK. A few more weeks, maybe we'll get him back on there."

Resident Penguin expert Laveranues Coles wasn't as impressed after Mangini replayed the segment at Wednesday's team meeting.

"Kerry? He messed my dance up," Coles grumbled. "I have nothing to say about that."

-- Randy Lange

Tough task awaits Jets' 'D'

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Kerry Rhodes, the Jets secondary's ever-rising star, remembered a simpler time, when he was the quarterback for Lanier High in Alabama.

"Brett Favre's one of my heroes," Rhodes reminisced Wednesday. "You know the thing he does a lot, when he hands the ball off, then he'll do a fake jump pass? I used to do that in high school. I'm sure he has a lot of quarterbacks doing those same kinds of things."

The task for Rhodes and his teammates Sunday is not to fall for such trickery from the Packers' legend. The Jets need to make the trip to Cheesehead Country productive by defending those classic slingshot passes from impossible angles into tight places, and by coming away with some of those Favre-trademark interceptions.

It won't be easy.

"Brett's having a solid year and he's doing a good job focusing on how we're trying to do things now," said Mike McCarthy, Green Bay's first-year head coach and one of many who talked him into returning. "And we're trying to keep the base concepts he's done throughout his whole career, which he's very comfortable with.

"As far as his ability, I think he has a lot of gas left in his tank."

Favre's probably fared better than he and his supporters could have hoped, considering No. 4's off-season angst about the Pack's rebuilding plans and losing trusted wide receivers Javon Walker (to trade) and Robert Ferguson (to injured reserve).

The numbers aren't eye-popping -- 57.1 percent completion rate, 14 touchdowns to 10 interceptions, 78.1 passer rating, 4-7 record -- but for a while Favre looked as if he'd lost his gray hair and regained the gunslinging form from his league MVP and Super Bowl days.

And of course, despite his right elbow nerve damage from two games ago, Favre started and finished as usual Monday night in snowy Seattle. Against the Jets, his runaway all-time record among NFL quarterbacks will increase to 233 consecutive starts, and 253 counting playoffs.

"It's unbelievable," Chad Pennington said. "I'm trying to make it through my first full season and this is my seventh year in the league. And here he is, it's his 16th year and he's played any number of games consecutively and not missed a start. It's just unfathomable to me."

It would be appropriate to hear from Favre here, about "The Streak," his elbow, the Packers, the Jets, anything. But he's treated more royally now than perhaps even an NFL icon should be. He talks with Packers reporters every other week and not after every game, and he hasn't done a conference call with the other team's media for three years.

One thing he might want to avoid is how he resorted to his old ways in the 34-24 loss to the Seahawks: three ill-advised interceptions, then a lost fumble on the game's last play. That gives him 15 individual giveaways this season, not on the pace of last season's personal-worst 36, but a trend the Jets will want to exploit.

Rhodes, with four sacks, three forced fumbles and four interceptions, would love to say he picked his boyhood idol clean. But he's not planning on it.

"I keep [souvenir] balls for everything," he said. "That'd definitely be on top of my mantel. It might even be dipped in gold. But you've definitely got to prepare for the best. He can do anything on the field, so we've got to prepare for that.

"Brett Favre's the best."

Jets give Favre rave reviews

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 30, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - By all accounts, including his own, Kellen Clemens can throw the football hard. But the Jets' rookie quarterback, playing the Brett Favre role on the scout team this week, knows he won't match the velocity of the Packers' future Hall of Famer.

"Brett Favre is a big-time playmaker,'' Clemens said yesterday. "He's got a really strong arm and he can gun the ball into a lot of tight spots. The big thing for me is just to make plays, move around the pocket and give the defense a good look. I'd like to think I always rear back as much as I can, but I'm not going to be able to throw the ball as hard as Brett Favre.''

Favre, who should make his 235th straight start Sunday when the Packers (4-7) host the Jets (6-5), limits his public comments these days. That's OK, since others seem to enjoy talking about him.

For instance, Chad Pennington, who will start his 12th straight regular-season game Sunday for just the second time in his career, marvels at the 37-year-old Favre's durability.

Favre, listed as probable because of an injury to the ulnar nerve in his right elbow, has started every Packers game since Sept. 27, 1992.

"He plays the game like every play is his last play; he doesn't blink, he doesn't play with hesitancy,'' Pennington said. "To me, it's the greatest streak because of the physical nature of our game.

"I'm trying to make it through my first full season, and this is my seventh year in the league. It's just unfathomable to me. It just doesn't make any sense.''

Since Favre's streak began, the Bears have started 20 quarterbacks, the Cardinals and Redskins 17 and the Saints 16.

Besides Pennington, Ken O'Brien, Browning Nagle, Boomer Esiason, Neil O'Donnell, Glenn Foley, Frank Reich, Vinny Testaverde, Ray Lucas, Brooks Bollinger, Rick Mirer, Bubby Brister, Quincy Carter, Jack Trudeau, Tom Tupa, Jeff Blake and Jay Fiedler (briefly) have been under center for the Jets since 1992.

"Quarterbacks, sometimes, are not looked at as tough players,'' Pennington said. "We have to have a tough, physical mind-set if we're going to stand in the pocket and allow 300-pounders to be draped over our back all the time.''

Favre has completed 230 of 403 passes this season for 2,634 yards, with 14 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

He won't come close to setting any career marks. But under new coach Mike McCarthy, Favre seems to have rediscovered the difference between trusting his arm to make difficult passes into coverage and just making reckless throws.

"He's a legend, and you don't get to play against legends that often,'' said Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, who wouldn't bite when asked to guarantee an interception Sunday. "No way. Brett Favre is the best. I played quarterback, and he was one of my idols growing up. You know if you can make plays against him, you're probably doing something right.''

Though this was presumed to be his last season - he told former Packers coach Mike Sherman after 2005 he was considering retiring - Favre now seems willing to play another season. Or two.

But McCarthy isn't ready to speculate.

"As far as his ability, I think he has a lot of gas left in his tank,'' McCarthy said. "As far as his plan for the future, frankly, I have no interest in opening up the door to that. We can talk about that after the season.''

Reach Andrew Gross at agross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at www.lohud.com/blogs.

Jets' McCareins finds another way to help

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 30, 2006)

HEMPSTEAD - Don't get Justin McCareins wrong. The Jets' wide receiver is not satisfied with his limited role on offense this season. But volunteering for special-teams duty helps him feel like he's contributing.

McCareins made two solo tackles in coverage in the Jets' 26-11 win over the Texans Sunday. After discussing the idea with assistant special-teams coach Sam Gash, McCareins finally approached special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff last Wednesday and asked in.

"I've been playing all the special teams for my entire career except the last couple of years and I always did a great job,'' McCareins said. "Guys have a tough time blocking me in space.''

He started all 32 games his first two seasons with the Jets after being acquired from the Titans. But Jerricho Cotchery supplanted him as the No. 2 receiver in training camp, and McCareins has just 12 catches this season, including two against Houston.

"Shoot, man, if I have something to contribute and I stand around, it's better to get out there and keep sharp, play football,'' said McCareins, listed as probable this week with a foot injury. "It's still hard for me to take maybe not playing at receiver as much. I'm not going to lie, that still stings. I still believe in myself as a wide receiver more than ever in my career.''

McCareins split the Jets' special-teams player of the week honors with place-kicker Mike Nugent, and coach Eric Mangini has praised McCareins repeatedly this week. The two got off to a rocky start as McCareins failed his conditioning test the first day of training camp.

Jones contrite: Offensive lineman Adrian Jones, arrested early Saturday morning and charged with driving while intoxicated in Nassau County, said he appreciated the opportunity to apologize to his teammates. Jones was inactive against the Texans.

"I was definitely disappointed in myself for putting myself in that position,'' said Jones, who started 16 games last season but is a backup this year. "I want people to see me as an example and show that it is a stupid decision that doesn't need to continue.''

Scott waived: Safety Guss Scott, claimed off waivers from the Texans on Thanksgiving, was waived yesterday. Scott was inactive for his one game with the Jets.

Injury report: Linebacker Bryan Thomas (shoulder), nose tackle Rashad Moore (hand) and rookie safety Eric Smith (foot) were among seven Jets listed as questionable. Cotchery (chest) and nose tackle Dewayne Robertson (foot) joined McCareins among nine Jets listed as probable.

For the Packers, safety Nick Collins (hamstring), right tackle Mark Tauscher (groin) and linebacker Ben Baylor (hamstring) are doubtful, and linebacker Nick Barnett (hand) is questionable.

DWI arrest may drive Jones out of New York

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Adrian Jones is no favorite of Eric Mangini's after drunk-driving bust last weekend.

Based on Eric Mangini's initial comments on Adrian Jones' drunk-driving arrest, it might be wise for the Jets' backup tackle to start thinking about a new address.

The Jets' coach, faced with the first off-the-field transgression in his tenure, sent a message yesterday by delivering a harsh rebuke. Mangini left Jones twisting in the wind, refusing to say whether he will suit up Sunday against the Packers.

"We'll go through the week and see where we are," Mangini said. "We take personal conduct extremely seriously. ... He understands how seriously we take it, and what a big mistake it was."

Jones was benched from last week's game, and fined $20,000 by the team, after being arrested last Saturday. In a field sobriety test, Jones registered a 0.22 - more than twice the legal limit - on the breathalyzer, according to police.

Jones, addressing the arrest for the first time with reporters, called it "a very stupid decision."

IN QUESTION: LB Bryan Thomas (shoulder), DT Rashad Moore (hand) and DB Eric Smith (foot) were added to the injury report as questionable. None of the players participated fully in practice. ... Packers QB Brett Favre, battling a sore nerve in his throwing elbow, practiced and will play.

START ME UP: WR Justin McCareins, praised by Mangini for volunteering last week to play on special teams, intends to regain a starting job in the future - whether it's here or elsewhere.

"It's tough losing a starting job. ... It still stings," McCareins said, adding, "I'm glad it happened. I'm more confident as a receiver right now than I've ever been. I feel I'm a better player than I've ever been. Regardless of what happens in the future, I know I'll have a good, long, productive career playing wide receiver."

BRETT WOWS CHAD: QB Chad Pennington, who never has started more than 17 consecutive games, marveled at Favre's streak of 232. "It's just unfathomable to me," he said. "It doesn't make any sense. It's just ridiculous." ... Mangini, nicknamed the Penguin, added some levity to the team meeting by showing of clip of Kerry Rhodes doing a "Penguin" dance during a TV interview. "His dancing could improve," Mangini cracked. ... If Rhodes intercepts a Favre pass, he joked that he might "dip it in gold" for a souvenir.

Friendly affair for Jets

Buckeye buddies meet at Lambeau

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

On Sunday, the most famous lawn in the NFL will be the scene of a most unusual reunion.

Three boyhood friends from Centerville, Ohio - the Jets' Nick Mangold and Mike Nugent and the Packers' A.J. Hawk - will meet up at historic Lambeau Field. They've come a long way from the Centerville Activity Center, hard by State Route 48, where kids played football and dreamed of days like Sunday.

This get-together runs deep; it can't go any deeper.

Mangold, Nugent and Hawk grew up within five miles of each other. They all went to Ohio State, where Mangold and Hawk lived together for four years. They all became team captains. They all became the best in the nation at their respective positions.

Oh yes, their families are close, too, and they'll be making the nine-hour drive to Green Bay.

A slice of "Warm and Cheerful Centerville" - the town's slogan - will be visiting the frozen tundra. That Mangold and Hawk will be banging heads in the trenches adds another storyline to the occasion. Lombardi probably never saw anything like this.

"It's going to be fun," Hawk, a terrific rookie linebacker, said yesterday in a phone interview. "Nick is an unbelievable guy and a great player."

Mangold, the Jets' precocious rookie center, said: "We always went against each other in practice last year, but this will be interesting because it's on such an elevated level. We'll see how this plays out."

To the best of Mangold's recollection, he and Hawk played against each other as third graders. They went separate ways for high school, with Hawk joining Nugent at Centerville High and Mangold attending nearby Archbishop Alter, but they remained in touch and became close friends in college.

"I consider him right up there, tied for my No.1 best friend," said Mangold, who speaks with Hawk at least once a week. "Hopefully, he considers me the same. Living with each other for four years, you get a nice bond with somebody."

Naturally, the matchup has created a buzz in Centerville. When a small town (pop. 23,000) produces an NFL player, it's big news. When the town produces three players and they're all in the same game, it's time to roll up the sidewalks and head to the TVs.

"It's a great football town, a great place to live and grow up," Hawk said. "Everyone there understands what it takes to make it in the NFL. There's a lot of pride in that."

They should be proud. In 2005, Nugent was the first kicker chosen in the draft. In 2006, Hawk was the first linebacker picked (fifth overall), Mangold the first center (29th overall). They must have had great schoolyard games back in the day.

As for Sunday, "They'll be gunning for each other," said Jon Thomas, a Centerville product who lived with Mangold and Hawk in college and remains a close friend of both players.

Thomas, affectionately known as "the third roommate," provided his take on the anticipated meeting.

"It'll be different from an ordinary matchup because their personalities are so different," Thomas said by phone from Centerville, where he manages his family's restaurant. "A.J. is a quiet warrior. Nick is like a Teddy bear. Obviously, he's a Teddy bear who can get pretty angry, but Nick's a pretty easygoing guy. In between plays, I'm sure he'll be cracking some jokes to A.J."

In the spring, Mangold and Hawk will be in each other's wedding party. It's fair to assume the outcome of Sunday's game will be mentioned at the bachelor parties.

FAVRE CARRIES 'UNBELIEVABLE' STREAK INTO JETS CLASH

By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 30, 2006 -- A lot of talk in the Jets' locker room yesterday centered around Packers' quarterback Brett Favre and his remarkable starting streak, which stands at 252 games (including playoffs) entering Sunday's game against the Jets at Lambeau Field.

"It's unbelievable to me, because with his streak, he's played through injuries that probably none of us could play through," Chad Pennington said. "And not only has he started those games, he finishes all those games. There's a difference between just making a start and then playing four quarters, and doing it week in and week out.

"To me, it's the greatest streak, because of the physical nature of our game and the physical abuse that our players go through."

When Cal Ripken's 16-year, 2,632-game streak was brought up to Jets' DE Kimo von Oelhoffen, he said, "It ain't the same. What Cal did is unbelievable also, but I would say this the greatest streak in sports."

Jets' tackle Adrian Jones, who was arrested on early Saturday morning for DWI, missed team meetings and then was placed on the inactive list for Sunday's game against the Texans, was very contrite yesterday.

"It was a mistake," he said. "I've already apologized to my team and my family. Now I just have to deal with my consequences and just move on."

Eric Mangini, who fined Jones $20,000, was noncommittal about whether Jones, who played in the first 10 games as a backup and on special teams, would be activated this week. "We'll go through the week and see where we are," Mangini said. "Personal conduct issues are something that we take very seriously."

Nothing gets by Mangini, who was apprised of safety Kerry Rhodes doing a rendition of the penguin dance players use to imitate the Jets' head coach while doing a guest appearance on the ESPN 2 show "Cold Pizza" on Tuesday. Mangini showed the players a clip of it during the morning team meeting and razzed Rhodes about it.

"I think his tackling has gotten better . . . [but] his dancing could improve on 'Cold Pizza,' " Mangini quipped.

Said Rhodes: "It was all in good fun."

Jets' DT Rashad Moore showed up on the injury report listed as questionable with a hand injury. He was wearing a hard cast yesterday and didn't practice. DE Bryan Thomas (shoulder) is also listed as questionable and didn't practice . . . The Jets yesterday waived safety Guss Scott, a former Texan signed days before the Jets played Houston last week. He was obviously signed for the week to help the Jets prepare for the Texans. Mangini, asked sarcastically what kind of contribution Scott made to the Houston win, said, without cracking a smile, "I thought it was an outstanding contribution. I just wanted him to help the team at practice."

JUSTIN TIME

AFTER BACKTRACKING TO BEGIN SEASON, MCCAREINS MAKES 'SPECIAL' OFFER...

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Justin McCareinsNovember 30, 2006 -- When we first saw Justin McCareins this season, he was running punishment laps around the practice field on the first day of training camp in 90-degree heat, having been the first public victim of Eric Mangini's disciplinary approach. He placed on the physically unable to perform list for failing to pass a running test on the eve of camp.

The next day, McCareins got up before dawn and grudgingly passed the running test, thus reinstating himself onto the roster.

A short time later, it became apparent that McCareins was losing his starting receiver job to a hard-charging Jerricho Cotchery.

In recent weeks, McCareins - who entered this season having started all 32 games he's played here since the Jets acquired him in a 2004 trade with Tennessee - has seemingly fallen behind Tim Dwight and become the No. 4 receiver.

While that would seem like a typical time for a high-priced veteran ($3.3 million this season) to head directly into the mail-it-in tank, McCareins has taken a very different tact.

The very same Mangini who placed the receiver on PUP in July has gushed the last few days about McCareins, who last week volunteered to play special teams and increase his role on the team, then went out and made a pair of solo tackles on kick coverage in the Jets' win over the Texans.

"I couldn't be happier with Justin right now," Mangini said yesterday. "What he did last week to me is the best example of what we're looking for. It's selfless. It just shows his sense of team."

It's a feel-good story about a selfless player who's taken the high road all season without complaining. McCareins has caught a mere 12 passes in 11 games entering Sunday's game in Green Bay after catching 99 the last two seasons, but he wants everyone to know he's not done as a receiver quite yet.

I feel that I'm a better receiver than I've ever been," he said yesterday. "I'm a human being, so of course at first it took me a while to accept [not starting] and to not be frustrated. [Mangini] had to do what he thinks is the right thing to help us win games, so I can't take it as a knock against me as a person.

"But that doesn't mean I have to agree with his evaluation of me as a player. I still feel I'm a high quality player and a better receiver than I've ever been."

McCareins special gesture has had a profoundly positive affect on his teammates. When McCareins made one of his tackles near the Jets' sideline Sunday, he was mobbed by teammates as if he'd just caught a touchdown pass. Veteran left guard Pete Kendall called McCareins' gesture "far from typical" of a lot of players in the league.

"That takes a lot of nerve," Jets' TE Chris Baker said. "Special teams can get kind of hazardous. For him to want to help the team in that way says a lot about him. It shows how much he cares about the team. A lot of players [in that position] would have packed it in."

McCareins, who played on numerous special teams units while in Tennessee but none since he became a Jet, yesterday sounded as if the hazardous side of the teams was a thrill to him.

"You can play a little more wreckless [than while playing receiver] and just go out there and be a football player," he said. "It's just fun from a kind of childish point of view. It feels like I'm a young guy again. It's not demeaning, or somehow a step down for me. I enjoy it.

"I'd rather be out there doing something than standing there getting cold. I'm glad I got the opportunity to go do some special teams."

So are his teammates.

"Maybe it'll motivate someone else to want to step up and do more," safety Erik Coleman said.

"Justin McCareins is my guy," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He's a guy willing to do anything for the team."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

JetsFavre still inspires

Pennington learned about passion for game from long-tenured QB

BY TOM ROCK

Newsday Staff Writer

November 30, 2006

Kerry Rhodes keeps the football after each of his interceptions. He has them painted up with the date and place of the accomplishment and adds them to his growing collection of such trophies. So if he is lucky enough to pick off a pass on Sunday?

"I might dip it in gold," the Jets safety smiled.

Truth be told there have been a lot of Brett Favre interceptions in the last few years, but there remains only one Brett Favre. As the Jets prepare to face the Packers and travel to historic Lambeau Field, they are also preparing to play against a quarterback who was winning MVP awards when many of them were in high school, who has started every game since any of them entered the NFL, and is the bridge over a generation gap.

The Jets have faced some sure-to-be Hall of Fame quarterbacks this season, including Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. But Favre is like a living, breathing - playing! - relic. And the respect the Jets have for him and his 16-year career in unparalleled.

"He's kind of like the Last of the Mohicans," Jets quarterback Chad Pennington said. "He's one of the last quarterbacks from that generation that is still playing football, and he's still playing at a very high level. It's amazing to see."

What Pennington is most amazed by is Favre's record of 232 consecutive starts, which seemed in jeopardy last week when he suffered a bruised nerve in his throwing elbow against the Patriots but was able to play on Monday against the Seahawks. "It's unbelievable," Pennington said. "I'm trying to make it through my first full season, and this is my seventh year in the league. And here he is, it's his 16th year . . . it's just unfathomable to me. It just doesn't make any sense."

Favre and Pennington might differ in terms of durability, but they are also very different types of quarterbacks. Favre is a gambler, a swashbuckler, unafraid to throw 40-yarders across his body or split triple-teams with bullet passes. He uses a hatchet to whack a defense apart, whereas Pennington dissects it with a scalpel.

Pennington is a game-manager, a thinking-man's quarterback. Even when he was struggling through a slump earlier this month, Jets coach Eric Mangini remained impressed with Pennington's decisions at the line of scrimmage.

Pennington said he first met Favre at a function in Huntington, W Va., while he was still at Marshall. Pennington's first regular-season game as a pro was against Favre at Lambeau Field in 2000 (Pennington was the third quarterback and did not play), and the two have had little contact throughout the years playing in different conferences and in different cities.

But for all of their dissimilarity, Pennington has been able to draw some inspiration from Favre over the years.

"I think just his passion for the game and how he plays the game," Pennington said of the lessons Favre imparts. "He plays the game like every play is his last play, and he plays at full speed ahead. He doesn't blink, he doesn't play with hesitancy. I think there's a lot to be said for those characteristics and how that's made him successful."

Notes & quotes: Eric Mangini made his first public comments regarding OT Adrian Jones' arrest for DWI early Saturday morning. "I can't stress enough how important it is organizationally for us that personal conduct is a huge priority for everybody," Mangini said, adding that leaving Jones off the active roster for Sunday's game was a "coaching decision" not due to injury or skill. Because teams cannot punish a player for alcohol or drug-related activities, Jones' suspension and $20,000 fine were levied for missing Saturday's team meetings and walk-through while in court . . . S Guss Scott was waived by the Jets a week after he was signed. That leaves the Jets with an open roster position . . . DT Rashad Moore practiced with a heavy bandage or cast on his left hand and is listed as questionable for Sunday along with FB B.J. Askew (foot), CB David Barrett (hip), WR Tim Dwight (thigh), RB Cedric Houston (knee), S Eric Smith (foot) and LB Bryan Thomas (shoulder).

ABOUT THE PACKERS

Coach: Mike McCarthy, first season (4-7)

Last week: Lost to the Seahawks, 34-24, on a snowy Monday night in Seattle

About the offense: As long as No. 4 is back there firing passes, the Packers are always a dangerous team. He's tossed 14 touchdowns and seven passes longer than 40 yards this season. Donald Driver is Brett Favre's top target this season with 61 catches for 902 yards and five touchdowns and a big reason the Packers are ranked No. 9 in passing (235.7 yards) and 11th in total offense (335.1). Lately, however, the missiles from Favre's arm have been more misguided. He threw three interceptions in Monday's loss and has 10 this season after throwing a career-high 29 in 2005. RB Ahman Green is averaging 76.4 rushing yards per game.

About the defense: The Packers had not allowed a back 100 yards against them all season until Shaun Alexander racked up 201 Monday night. Their rushing defense is still ranked No. 16 in the NFL. Rookie LB A.J. Hawk is their leading tackler with 113 and Aaron Kampman has 10 sacks. Charles Woodson has four interceptions, but the secondary allows 232.7 passing yards per game and the 26.0 points per game allowed is the highest in the NFL.

The bottom line: The Jets are 7-2 all-time against the Packers, and the only franchise with a better record against Green Bay is Kansas City (6-1-1). Favre is 1-2 when starting against the Jets, and his 73.4 passer rating and 52.6 completion percentage are his second-lowest numbers against any AFC opponent. Mike McCarthy was the NFL's youngest coach for about a week, before the Jets hired Eric Mangini, so neither play-caller should have the advantage of experience. But having extra time to prepare for the Packers both mentally and physically - the Packers did not get home until early Tuesday morning - should be enough for the Jets to continue their surge.

Still going & going

Since Sept. 27, 1992, when Brett Favre launched his 232-game starting streak, the Jets have started 14 different quarterbacks:

Brooks Bollinger, Bubby Brister, Quincy Carter, Boomer Esiason, Glenn Foley, Ray Lucas, Rick Mirer, Browning Nagle, Ken O'Brien, Neil O'Donnell, Chad Pennington, Frank Reich, Vinny Testaverde, Jack Trudeau

Sunday

Jets at Green Bay

1 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WABC (770), WEPN (1050), WRCN (103.9)

Favre can't miss in eyes of Jets

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Andre Dyson thought he was putting together a pretty nice ironman streak.

After missing the first two games of his rookie season (with the Titans in 2001) due to a broken left toe, the cornerback in his first year with the Jets played the remaining 14 games that season -- starting the final 12 -- and then started every game over the next three seasons.

Dyson's streak ended last season at 63 consecutive starts. He played in 67 straight games.

Yesterday, Dyson was told that Packers quarterback Brett Favre will start his 253rd consecutive game, including the postseason, when the Packers (4-7) play the Jets (6-5) on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Favre, in his 16th NFL season, hasn't missed a start since 1992, holding the record for quarterbacks.

"That's amazing," Dyson said. "I went four years not missing any games and I thought that was pretty cool. I was trying to keep that streak going (he suffered a hamstring injury in Game 5 last season while with the Seahawks and missed the next two games).

"But can you imagine 13 years of not missing a game? It's unthinkable."

Chad Pennington is in his seventh NFL season and the Jets QB has yet to make it through an entire 16-game schedule healthy.

"It's unbelievable," Pennington said. "I'm trying to make it through my first full season ... and here he is, it's his 16th year. ... It's just unfathomable to me. It just doesn't make any sense.

"He's played through injuries that probably none of us could play through. And not only has he started those games, he finishes all those games. There's a difference between just making a start and playing four quarters. To me, it's the greatest streak (in sports) because of the physical nature of our game and the physical abuse that players go through."

Barlow out of the running as rotation cut to 2 backs

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Two days after saying he'll stick with his three-running back rotation, coach Eric Mangini has downsized the rotation to two. Rookie Leon Washington and Cedric Houston are in and veteran Kevan Barlow is out, a member of the organization told The Star-Ledger yesterday afternoon.

That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of Mangini's policy of not announcing lineup changes.

The Jets rushed for a season-low 27 yards on 26 carries in last week's 26-11 victory over the Texans, who put eight men in the box determined to stop the run. Mangini is scrapping his three-back rotation after only two games.

Barlow, who rushed for 75 yards against the Patriots three games ago, has rushed for seven yards on 12 carries in the past two games. He has said he's a back who needs 15 to 20 carries a game to get going.

This season Washington and Barlow have each carried the ball 113 times. Washington is the Jets' leading rusher with 471 yards, followed by Barlow (334) and Houston (122 yards), who missed five games with a knee injury. Barlow has rushed for a team-high six touchdowns.

Mangini has opted to go with Houston over Barlow. Both are tough, physical runners. Washington is a quick, change-of-pace scat back.

WR Justin McCareins, who volunteered to play special teams against the Texans and had two tackles after losing his starting job in training camp to Jerricho Cotchery, said the experience has benefited him. It was his first time playing special teams since his first three seasons with the Titans.

"It was tough losing a starting job," said McCareins, who is in his third season with the Jets but isn't expected to return next season. "I'm not going to lie. It stings. It still stings. But I'm glad it happened. It taught me a lot about what I can overcome. I'm more confident as a receiver right now than I've ever been. I feel I'm a better player.

"I'm glad to help out (on special teams). I'm a football player first and foremost. I don't see this as being demeaning or a step down for me. I enjoy it. I'd rather be out there doing something than standing there and getting cold."

The Jets released S Guss Scott. ... NT Rashad Moore has a cast over his left hand. ... Mangini was noncommittal on if T Adrian Jones, who was arrested on a DWI charge last Saturday morning, would be active versus the Packers.

Packers MLB Nick Barnett (broken hand) is listed as questionable. ... RT Mark Tauscher (groin) and S Nick Collins (hamstring) are listed as doubtful.

The Jets are auctioning a VIP Road Experience for four to Minnesota that includes a flight on the team charter, rooms at the team hotel and breakfast with GM Mike Tannenbaum. The bidding closes tomorrow. To participate, go online (www.nflauction.nfl.com) and click on the Jets logo. The proceeds benefit the Jets Foundation, which does charity work in the tri-state area.

NFL picks from The Simpsons:

Lisa Simpson picks Week 13

Lisa Simpson is not a fan of violence of any kind ... unless it involves her smacking around her brother Bart.

When it comes to NFL season, everyone in your office is a self-proclaimed expert if you ask. But anyone can cite statistics (ho hum) and trends (snooze), or pick winners on who has the better players or coaches (whatever).

This season, the football experts at The Simpsons are taking their shots at making Jimmy the Greek sound French. The running tally:

Week 1: Homer Simpson, 10-4-2

Week 2: Moe the bartender, 9-5-2

Week 3: Krusty the Clown, 8-5-1

Week 4: Grampa Simpson, 5-7-2

Week 5: Patty & Selma, 5-8-1

Week 6: Chief Wiggum, 10-3

Week 7: Sideshow Bob, 7-5-1

Week 8: Mr. Burns, 9-3-2

Week 9: Kang & Kodos, 7-5-2

Week 10: Marge Simpson, 7-6-3

Week 11: Ned Flanders, 8-5-3

Week 12: Groundskeeper Willie, 7-6-3

Making the picks this week is Springfield's lover of literati and Bart's big sister, Lisa Simpson. Let her introduce herself ...

"Lisa Simpson here. I consider football

Archived