Quincy Carter wins af2 debut

jetsrule128

BOSSIER-SHREVEPORT 67, Fort Wayne 52

The Jon Norris-Quincy Carter era started with a bang in Bossier City. Carter, the former Dallas Cowboys quarterback, made his af2 debut and led the Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings to 67-52 win over the Ft. Wayne Fusion. Carter completed 20-of-29 attempts for 237 yards and six touchdowns. He threw one interception. He was overshadowed, though, by the spectacular debut of Wings

Me following SEC football as close as I do, I thought he couldv'e been one helluva QB some day, but drugs and all that stupid **** ruined any hopes of that, the chances of him ever playing in the NFL are slim to none.

u forget the turd-collector, one Rev BBQ in KC, will always be a possibility

Jose Harris holds down three jobs, but only one allows him to collide at high speeds in front of thousands of people every weekend.

He's a fullback-linebacker for the Albany Conquest of arenafootball2, earning the league's meager salary of $200 per game, plus a $50 bonus for every victory.

Because he can't live on that income, Harris juggles this punishing occupation with his other employment as a loan officer and an advertising salesman for a local newspaper.

Harris, who has an infant son, said his girlfriend asks him why he doesn't give up football and move on with his life.

"It's pure love for the game," explained Harris, 26, a Medford, Mass., native who has settled in Waterford. "I'm a passionate guy. You're not going to be able to do it when you get older. You have all those memories, and those are things you hold on to."

The Conquest, who open their sixth season tonight against Mahoning Valley at Times Union Center, has a roster full of players who aren't willing to give up the sport or their dream of playing at a higher level.

Arenafootball2 serves as a developmental system for the Arena Football League, which draws about one-third of its players from the lower league, according to af2 president Jerry Kurz.

"Our players do play for love of the game, but they're also playing because they want to develop," Kurz said. "They want to move up."

The Conquest have sent 13 players to the AFL -- where top players can make up to $150,000 annually -- but some aren't willing to settle for even that.

Conquest wide receiver Bakari Brown, 23, said he still aspires to play in the NFL and has to start somewhere.

"At this point, there's no other place you can play to get that chance to move up," said Brown, whose girlfriend is expecting the couple's first child in November. "Yeah, it's messed up. It's a grimy situation where you're underpaid, but what else can you do? It's the only thing there is."

The af2 hasn't raised its pay since the league started in 2000. Kurz said there has been talk of an increase but "financially it doesn't make sense" for af2 right now.

Harris, who played at Syracuse, said the pay should be at least $400 per game and the players might have to form a union to accomplish that.

Like every af2 team, the Conquest pays for their players' food and housing. The team also finds many of its players, including Brown, work as substitute teachers in the Albany school system.

Brown said the teaching job pays $800 every other week.

Brown works for the federal Department of Transportation in the off-season in his hometown of Washington. There he keeps track of statistics on traffic accidents.

He said he doesn't mind subjecting himself to the equivalent of a car crash on many plays in a football game.

"I think I got a lot of years left in me," said Brown, who is completing his degree in computer technology at Bowie State. "I'll give it as far as I can go. I can be 40 years old, and if I can run, I'm going to run. That's just the love I have for the game, whether it's AFL or NFL or flag football back home."

The modest lifestyle doesn't lend itself to long careers in af2. The Conquest have 15 rookies on their 22-man roster with no one older than 27.

"A lot of the guys look at it as, 'Hey, I'm 22 years old, and if I can play two or three years, if that's what it takes to get me into the AFL, then I have a chance to make a good living,' " Conquest coach Pete Costanza said. "The dedication is definitely there."

For Broadalbin's Ed Greene, a Conquest offensive lineman, playing for Albany gives him a chance to continue his career close to home.

Greene, 23, said he might like to open a restaurant someday, but he still dreams of making it to the AFL or NFL.

"I'll probably give this one more year, see how it works out, and then start my life, really," he said.

Damn shame what happened with this guy. He'd probably be a back-up somewhere if it weren't for the Cheech and Chong.

he would've still been that starter in Dallas, keep in mind he led them to the playoffs and an 11-5 record, then the drug stuff came up and he was cut, there would've never been a Tony Homo..

he would've still been that starter in Dallas, keep in mind he led them to the playoffs and an 11-5 record, then the drug stuff came up and he was cut, there would've never been a Tony Homo..

Carter would have eventually lost the starting job in Dallas giving way to Romo, even without the heineken and haze. I was never impressed with how he played qb for Parcells in Dallas and I thought he actually looked alot better here with the Jets.

Archived