mangini's hartford camp for kids

gg

too bad i couldnt disguise myself as a high school boy... this was just 15 mins away from me. i really wish there was more stuff going on in this state of the "tri-states"

http://www.courant.com/sports/custom/hc-mangini06031-nite.artjun02,0,6809072.story?coll=hc-headlines-sports-custom

Mangini Calls City's Draw Play

blackpix.gifJets Coach's Camp Fills Fields Around Bulkeley High June 2, 2007

By MIKE ANTHONY, Courant Staff Writer

By mid-afternoon Saturday, after drills, speeches and lunch, footballs spiraled through the thick June air in just about any available space between Wethersfield Avenue and the Connecticut River.

Eric Mangini's sixth Football Fundamentals Mini-Camp had splintered into dozens of groups for 7-on-7 play. The field at Bulkeley High was swarmed. Colt Park was packed. Dillon Stadium, too.

"Kids as far as the eye can see," Mangini said. "My favorite snapshot of the day."

Mangini, the second-year Jets coach and Hartford native, paired more than 800 campers with more than 100 volunteer coaches, the camp having grown exponentially since opening with just over 200 kids in 2002.

There were teenage dreamers and NFL stars, neither showing more enthusiasm than the other. "It's something Eric should be very proud of," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "What an incredible day."

As the camp ended, players trickled in from the many fields as Mangini spoke from behind the end zone at Bulkeley, from which he graduated in 1989. Long before he was Jets coach - heck, before he was a towel boy with the Browns - Mangini was just another kid from the South End.

"Hartford is definitely home for me," said Mangini, 36. "I've always been very proud of my city, and I'm extremely proud of it right now. I spent a lot of time on these fields and in those hallways, and they're all positive memories. It was a special time in my life, and this is even more special, to be able to hopefully impact some kids in a positive way."

Campers in grades 8-12 came from 84 schools in six states. About 60 members of the Jets - including players, coaches, front office staffers - were on hand, including quarterback Chad Pennington. Local college and high school coaches helped out, including Hartford Public coach Harry Bellucci, Mangini's brother-in-law.

Former campers such as Notre Dame fullback Asaph Schwapp of Weaver High were on hand. ESPN's Chris Berman addressed the group. Retired Giants tight end Mark Bavaro was there, a little gray on top but still thick as an oak.

Players worked out from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The $45 entry fee was waived for most, so the Frank and Carmine Mangini Foundation operated at a loss Saturday. But much was gained.

"It's important get out there to show kids that we care about them and try to teach them what it takes to be successful," Pennington said. "I know [Mangini] always looks forward to getting back to this area. And the whole day is centered around these kids, giving them a day where they don't have to worry about anything except focusing on themselves and having a little fun."

Pennington, it seemed, had more than a little fun. Before lunch, he told players humility, courage and perseverance were the keys to success. After lunch, he coached his seven-player team, the Eagles, to a 3-0 record.

Wildly directing traffic and calling plays, he could have been orchestrating the winning drive on "Monday Night Football." After a touchdown pass in overtime of the Eagles' first game, Pennington ran around screaming, fist raised.

"The more he got into it, the more we got into it," said Kentrell Hurst, a senior at Rockville High. "To be working with him, it was great. We always see him on TV. Today he was out there with us."

Mangini, who gave individual and group instruction, hopes the day was a character-builder. He remembers classmates who were good kids but made poor choices because of a lack of positive influence.

"We need to create more positive opportunities, and that's what this day is about," Mangini said. "Whether it's the players, coaches or volunteers, it's fulfilling."

Nice to see Eric doing something to help out the comminity-especially with so many negative sports related stores that we see.

Thank you, these are the kind of stories I want to hear. If it isn't a failed drug test, a DUI, etc. it doesn't make the newspaper. That's what's wrong with society today, they look harder onto the negative then the positives that a person does.

People know so much about the whole Vick incident, does anyone know he spent 2 months in africa educating and funding families in Rwanda suffering from AIDS, or how he donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to numerous Hurricane Katrina funds? NO, they only know that there was dog-fighting going on in his property.

It's a fallacy.

Archived