OTA's

flgreen

Chad 'TD Pass' off of ... Play Action

Published: Thu, June 7, 12:10pm EST

By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for The Record of Hackensack, N.J.

File Under: OTA workout, Thomas Jones, Chad Pennington, Justin McCareins, David Harris, Jonathan Vilma

change font email article 06/07

Revis Keeps His Head Above Water

Published: Thu, June 7, 1:34pm EST

By Randy Lange

Lange is editor-in-chief of newyorkjets.com. He covered the Jets for 13 years for The Record of Hackensack, N.J.

File Under: Darrelle Revis, Justin McCareins, Nick Mangold, Chris Baker

Chad 'TD Pass' off of ... Play Action

Published: Thu, June 7, 12:10pm EST

By Randy Lange

File Under: OTA workout, Thomas Jones, Chad Pennington, Justin McCareins, David Harris, Jonathan Vilma

Then Clemens came on and one of his plays was to throw a ball to a new tight end, wearing No. 60 and knee braces. Yes, OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson went in motion and had good position on LB Anthony Schlegel. But Clemens' pass sailed high.

How about this one..........

Yep, going to be lots of tricks again this year

Pouha: One Challenge Down, New Ones Ahead

Published: 06-07-07

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

change font email article

It's been a while, but Sione Pouha is back.

"Yeah, it was like the third or fourth day of training camp," Pouha said today after the New York Jets' OTA practice, reminiscing about when he was last publicly heard from. "I plan to pick up where I left off."

That's music to the ears of many Jets followers who want to see players rise up on the defensive line and help the 3-4 become all it can be.

Of course, the only glimpse the fans had of Pouha in head coach Eric Mangini's system was the first few days of last year's camp. On Day 2, Mangini had this to say about Pouha:

"Sione came back in outstanding shape. He has really worked hard to reshape his body. He spent a lot of time with guys like Kimo and he is working at his craft and I have been pleased with his progress."

Then on Day 4 Mangini said this: "Sione will not be practicing today."

He didn't practice the rest of the season after being placed on injured reserve in mid-August.

"Man, it was long," Pouha said of his time away. "But I think one of the things that kept me on track was just taking it day by day. Especially with knee rehab, you've got to make sure you stay on it 100 percent each day and then you're going to get out of it.

"That's why I'm not worried right now. You paid your dues during the rehab. Then when it comes time to perform, there's no ifs, ands or buts because you know you prepared during rehab."

If it seems that Pouha is even-keeled about this career obstacle, keep in mind he's older than your average third-year player. He's 28 after spending parts of three years away from the University of Utah on a church mission. You may also recall that he received a heroism award from the Mountain West Conference after rescuing a woman from a smoke-filled apartment in the fall of 2002. Pouha is an unflappable dude.

But he couldn't be blamed if he's hearing his biological clock ticking. A third-round pick in 2005, he played 14 games in the Jets' fractured '05 season before sitting out last year.

"Phew," he said when asked if his maturity helped him deal with his down time. "I just accepted the fact that I was hurt and just went along with it. I talked with other guys who had IR issues, things like that. They kind of walk you through. You just understand that's your new goal, that's your new situation. You've got to get over that and your next challenge is ahead."

It would seem Pouha's next challenge is to show he's one of the 3-4 nose tackle widebodies in the Jets' future. Robertson is still the incumbent starter and C.J. Mosley, who finished the season as D-Rob's backup, remains here. But Pouha has the largest program weight among the Jets' defenders at 325 pounds (although he said he probably would want to play lighter).

Pouha combines the confidence of a graying NFL eminence with the humility of a Core Jet Values kind of guy when he states his goals for the coming season.

"The way I came in last year is exactly the way I want to come in this year," he said of his conditioning, size and state of mind. "I just want to come in ready to contribute wherever they want me to be. I just want to be ready for wherever the coaches put me."

."

Chris Baker Loves Reeling Them In

By Jeff Weinstein

Internet Publications Intern

Coming off a career year in 2006, tight end Chris Baker is hoping to improve on a personal best in catches, both on the football field and in the water.

Baker, an avid fisherman, has not been able to get out on his boat on the South Shore of Long Island to fish as much as he would like, but for reasons other than beginning of OTA practices, which he has worked around in the past.

Clarke Coming Up Big at Guard

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

After appearing in 13 games with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2005, Adrien Clarke was nowhere to be found in 2006.

Archived