Notes from Mini-Camp-Bob Bullock

SoFlaJets

Notes from Mini-Camp

Posted by Bob Bullock June 16, 2007 11:13AM

Enough of the Pete Kendall garbage, I'm tiring of hearing and reading about the guy. Dump him and let's get on to the business of the team getting ready for the 2007 season.

Some interesting nuggets on mini-camp included a healthy starting quarterback, who is primed for a big year. A rookie wide receiver who could be a very valuable addition. A new defensive end who fits into the 3-4 scheme perfectly. A new running back who will be the "go to" guy when the game is on the line. Oh yeah, the guy who will replace the player mentioned above, who I refuse to write about anymore.

That covers a lot of interesting areas of the mini-camp and I'm sure you knew who I was referring to in each sentence. Chad Pennington, Chansi Stuckey, Kenyon Coleman, Thomas Jones and Adrien Clarke, in case you're not as strong of a Jets' fan as I thought.

Pennington had a healthy off-season for the first time in, forever, so he has been able to concentrate on getting a stronger upper body, as well as learning all the nuances of the offense. That will hopefully enable him to make faster decisions, make stronger throws and be able to take harder hits this season, if necessary.

"Last year I was just trying to make sure I could get on the field, make the calls and make as many throws as possible," Pennington said yesterday. "This year, I have all the confidence I can make all the throws and all the different type of ball-placement throws I have to make."

That is certainly the kind of news we like to hear. Combined that with the fact that the team has a true starting-caliber running back in Jones and this year's offense will be light-years ahead of last years.

We very possibly could have added another weapon to the offense in the draft this year too. Seventh-round pick Stuckey "made a pair of spectacular catches and is having a strong camp" according to Dave Hutchinson of the Newark Star-Ledger in his "The day at Jets camp" article for today. Tom Rock wrote some very promising notes on Stuckey as well in his blog.

Having a quick slot receiver that the team can rely on will certainly add to the effectiveness of the whole Brian Schottenheimer scheme for Pennington and the boys.

Moving on to that guard spot, that some player feels is worth $2.7 million dollars. -Give me a break, please- Clarke is setting his sights on that spot, he is larger, younger and a lot cheaper than the player referred to at the top of this blog. Clarke, 6-5, 330 pounds, was a four-year starter at Ohio State, where he played two seasons with Jets center Nick Mangold. He also has starting experience with Philadelphia back in 2005. At age 26, he is certainly a pretty solid option and is working with the first-team. I'm not saying he'll be just as good as the other guy, but I'm willing to give him a shot.

On the defensive side of the ball, the team's signing of Coleman to man the defensive end position opposite Shaun Ellis looks like a nice addition. For one, it means Kimo von OLD-hoffen will see less playing time. It also looks like Coleman is a good fit for the 3-4. Although he thinks it's something else that makes him right for the Jets.

"It's not so much the 3-4 or 4-3, I think it's what they want from you," Coleman said. "Some defenses they want you to get upfield. Some defenses they want you to play physical. I just think the defense here is a physical defense and that's what fits me."

I'm looking forward to seeing how his addition will help free up Bryan Thomas, Victor Hobson and David Bowens to drill the opposing quarterback!

Archived