Saturday's Jets News

SoFlaJets

Will Kendall blow whistle on Jets' drills?

BY BOB GLAUBER

bob.glauber@newsday.com

June 23, 2007

Pete Kendall is in a very ticklish situation these days ... and no, we're not talking about the fact he's unhappy with his contract and has asked to be traded or released.

It's over the issue of whether the Jets have violated the collective bargaining agreement by allowing too much contact during offseason workouts and/or minicamps.

So why would Kendall, the Jets' disgruntled guard, be any more conflicted about this situation than his teammates? Well, Kendall is the Jets' player representative, and as such, he's responsible for reporting to the NFL Players Association if there's too much hitting in practice. The question now is whether he's willing to blow the whistle on a team that is not budging on his request to add $1 million to his 2007 salary of $1.7 million.

The Jets were seen during minicamp practice to be engaged in some fairly significant physical contact during some drills - the defensive linemen were rushing pretty hard and being blocked by the offensive linemen, even though the Jets were dressed in just helmets, jerseys and shorts, with no shoulder pads. Technically, this is a no-no when it comes to the offseason rules regarding contact.

"When we get information like this, we call the player rep and talk to him about what's been going on," said NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis. "If he feels like that's a violation, we launch an investigation."

Francis was uncertain if the union would contact Kendall, but there's a chance it will happen. And what Kendall would do with any information is unclear. He did not return telephone calls seeking comment. A Jets' spokesman said general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini are not commenting about Newsday's initial report that the Jets may have violated the CBA by allowing contact.

Oakland last week was slapped with a one-week sanction on offseason workouts because of too much contact. The Jets' offseason workouts are complete, so any penalty of that nature would essentially be moot. But the team is subject to a fine, and if it's determined that the violations have been rampant, a draft choice might be forfeited.

Jets claim running back on waivers

By Hoss Aultman

Posted Jun 23, 2007

The Jets claimed former Georgia running back Danny Ware on waivers from the Tennessee Titans.

Ware had a good freshman year for the Bulldogs, but then didn't do much as a sophomore and junior. He left school early to enter the draft, and wasn't drafted, and signed with the Titans. Ware had a lot of trouble staying healthy in college suffering lung, knee, ankle and hand injuries during his time in Athens. He has good size (6-1, 225 pounds) and runs well between the tackles.

Early Thoughts on the Jets

06/22/07

The transition from Dallas to New York has been good. My wife and my kids are here. The first month or two were different, but now we've established a relationship and we feel good about it. At this point in time before training camp, I'm making sure that I'm in great condition as far as weight. In terms of strength, you do stuff to maintain it and that's what I'm working on. I attended all the OTAs and minicamps and they went well. I like the defensive scheme and it seems like we have a good squad.

I'm ready to contribute in any way possible to the defensive line. We have great players with the likes of Shaun Ellis, Kimo von Oelhoffen and Dewayne Robertson. So, wherever I can fit it in is the way I look at it. I just want to get the opportunity.

I believe Coach Mangini has definitely put us in a great place to compete with every team in the league. And so you can't ask for anything more than that.

McJets Lend a McHand

Stephen the Intern was out with some Jets on Wednesday and filed this heart-warmer:

By Stephen Haynes

Eighteen Jets rookies stopped by the Ronald McDonald House in New Hyde Park Wednesday in hopes of uplifting the families of sick children, but for one Jet, the visit became much more than a perfunctory pop-in.

Mike DeVito, an undrafted defensive end, had to cut the smiling and signing session short when he ran into his cousin, Karen, who was a resident at the House. Karen's 10-month-old son, Benedetto, was born prematurely and was admitted to neighboring Schneider Children's Hospital and Karen checked into the House at 3 a.m. on Wednesday. After talking with his cousin, whom RMH workers described as "exhausted,

Taking A Look Into The Future

June 22nd, 2007 by Gary Grund

With the Jets set to be off until late July, we need something to discuss. Why not think about next offseason and who the Jets have set to hit the open market at this point in time. The Jets are set to have plenty of backups as well as a few starters hitting the open market unless they lock them up before they reach free agency after the 2007 season.

Here we take a look at the top five free agents to be after the 2007 season that are currently on the Jets roster.

LB Victor Hobson

Hobson finally had his break out season in his fourth year in the league under the coaching of Eric Mangini. He succeeded as a 3-4 outside linebacker making 100 tackles (27 of which were for a loss), 6 sacks and having one interception. The 27-year old native of Mount Laurel, NJ could see an extension during the season, much like Bryan Thomas did last December before reaching the open market.

S Erik Coleman

Coleman will be in a heated training camp battle with the Jets third-round pick from 2006, Eric Smith. Erik was given the opportunity to start in his rookie season and absolutely shined with 100 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 interceptions. Since his rookie campaign, Coleman has slowly declined his playmaking ability and his starting job may be in jeopardy. If Coleman can turn things around during the 2007 season, a contract extension may be in order.

QB Marques Tuiasosopo

It

Three Jets make NFL All-Underrated team

June 20th, 2007 by Chris Menn (Jetscentral)

Laveranues Coles, Nick Mangold, & Kerry Rhodes have made the unofficial NFL All-Underrated team otherwise known as the NFL Pro Bowl snubbed team at least for these three anyway.

Coles had 91 catches for 1098 yards and 6 touchdowns in

Thank you for posting the news...can training camp start yet? I am getting real tired of this Kendall nonsense

yea me too 4H...I think they'll work it out with Pete because as I've said before he has the same agent as Revis

I agree with you, they will probably meet in the middle somewhere. What is Kenyon's website?

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?section=journal&id=33124

hey 4H you have the links to Jetsblog and Jetscentral?...they re both great sources for info-I don't know how or where they find it but they always do-especially the obscure stuff...

http://www.jetscentral.com/

http://www.thejetsblog.com/

I recommend all Jets fans here put these 2 links in their favorite places

The Jets claimed former Georgia running back Danny Ware on waivers from the Tennessee Titans.

Ware had a good freshman year for the Bulldogs, but then didn't do much as a sophomore and junior. He left school early to enter the draft, and wasn't drafted, and signed with the Titans. Ware had a lot of trouble staying healthy in college suffering lung, knee, ankle and hand injuries during his time in Athens. He has good size (6-1, 225 pounds) and runs well between the tackles.

Prospect Profiles

Danny Ware

Height: 6-0

Weight: 225 Position: Running Back/Fullback

College: Georgia

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

OVERVIEW

Ware's Georgia career began with such great progress, but injuries during his first season and losing his starting job to Kregg Lumpkin as a junior made the big runner decide to leave the university early to tests his wares at the pro level. Strictly a north-south runner, Ware might have been better suited to follow the route of former Tiger Brandon Jacobs (Giants) in stepping down to a lower level of competition to re-establish himself before trying for the NFL.

Ware was a 2002 Atlanta Journal-Constitution Top 50 in Georgia, Class AA all-state honorable mention, Prep Star all-region and Rome News Tribune first-team all-area selection at Rockmart High School, where he lettered three times in football. The team captain and two-year MVP choice, he rushed for 1,009 yards and compiled 35 tackles and one interception on defense as a senior. He also amassed 1,003 yards punting (33.4 avg.) with a long of 60 yards.

Upon graduation, Ware attended Hargrave Military Academy to improve his academics before enrolling at Georgia. He signed up with the Bulldogs in January, competing in 2004 spring drills. He went on to start eight of 10 games, earning Freshman All-Southeastern Conference honors, but was hampered by lung, hand, knee and ankle problems that limited his playing time most of the season. He also became the first freshman running back to start a season opener since 1943.

Ware still finished second on the team with 692 yards and four touchdowns on 138 carries (5.0 avg.). He added 55 yards on seven receptions (7.9 avg.). In 2005, he started just two of 13 games, as the Bulldogs used a "running back by committee" approach. He again ranked second on the team with 101 attempts for 492 yards (4.9 avg.) and one touchdown. He caught seven passes for 118 yards (16.9 avg.) and two scores, adding six yards on a kickoff return.

In 2006, Ware was relegated to reserve duty, appearing in 12 games. He was bothered by right knee and ankle woes, rushing just 81 times for 326 yards (4.0 avg.) and three touchdowns. He had 14 receptions for 184 yards (13.1 avg.) and gained 30 yards on a pair of kickoff returns.

In 35 games at Georgia, Ware started 10 times. He carried 320 times for 1,510 yards (4.7 avg.) and eight touchdowns. He caught 28 passes for 357 yards (12.8 avg.) and two scores. He also had three kickoff returns for 36 yards (12.0 avg.).

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a thick frame with solid chest and arm muscles, good shoulder width, tight waist and thick thighs and calves

Taking A Look Into The Future

June 22nd, 2007 by Gary Grund

With the Jets set to be off until late July, we need something to discuss. Why not think about next offseason and who the Jets have set to hit the open market at this point in time. The Jets are set to have plenty of backups as well as a few starters hitting the open market unless they lock them up before they reach free agency after the 2007 season.

Here we take a look at the top five free agents to be after the 2007 season that are currently on the Jets roster.

LB Victor Hobson

Hobson finally had his break out season in his fourth year in the league under the coaching of Eric Mangini. He succeeded as a 3-4 outside linebacker making 100 tackles (27 of which were for a loss), 6 sacks and having one interception. The 27-year old native of Mount Laurel, NJ could see an extension during the season, much like Bryan Thomas did last December before reaching the open market.

S Erik Coleman

Coleman will be in a heated training camp battle with the Jets third-round pick from 2006, Eric Smith. Erik was given the opportunity to start in his rookie season and absolutely shined with 100 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 interceptions. Since his rookie campaign, Coleman has slowly declined his playmaking ability and his starting job may be in jeopardy. If Coleman can turn things around during the 2007 season, a contract extension may be in order.

QB Marques Tuiasosopo

It

Archived