Drob by Andrew Gross

Kentucky Jet

By Andrew Gross, The (Westchester, N.Y.) Journal News

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — Bobby Hamilton was a ballboy for Alcorn State in the mid-1980s, which allowed him a first-hand view of Jerry Rice's college heroics for rival Mississippi Valley State.

They were later teammates with the Raiders. And just as the future Hall of Fame wide receiver had set an example for Hamilton, the Jets veteran has fellow defensive lineman Dewayne Robertson, a crucial cog in the Jets' 3-4 defense at nose tackle looking up to him.

"I got a lot of respect for Bobby," Robertson said yesterday after the Jets' practice at Hofstra. "Bobby's been playing this game a long time. It's good having him around to get all that veteran advice."

FOOTBALL BLOG SQUAD: Join USA TODAY blogging the NFL

"I was fortunate to play with (Rice) in Oakland to see guys like that working hard make you feel like you can do the same thing," Hamilton said.

At 36, Hamilton is entering his 12th NFL season in his second tenure with the Jets and has been one of the stronger performers in training camp. He returned to the practice field Saturday after missing practices with what appears to be a shoulder injury.

Hamilton's locker is nearby to Robertson's in the Jets' locker room, close enough to answer any questions Robertson might have had last season as he tried to adjust to the new alignment. Hamilton, of course, played in the 3-4 under Bill Parcells with the Jets, as well as under Bill Belichick in New England.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: NFL | National Football League | Football | Jets | Hamilton | Jerry Rice | Eric Mangini | Mississippi Valley State | Alcorn State

"I'm just trying to come in and not even compare myself to last year," said Robertson, picked fourth overall in the 2003 draft. "A lot of people tell me I had a great year last year, a lot of people tell me I had an OK year. I just want to forget about last year and just come in and build on last year and come back with an even better year. I'm real comfortable in the system. I know what to expect, I know how to play situations."

The 6-1, 310-pound Robertson, slightly undersized by NFL standards, had 62 tackles and two sacks in 16 games last season in his first season as a nose tackle. The Jets defense was ranked 20th in the NFL last season but there was noticeable improvement in the second half.

Robertson has tremendous speed off the snap but frequently faced double teams last year and was often not positioned at an angle to the center, which would have allowed him to use his speed better.

"I really liked what Dewayne did last year," Mangini said. "He's good at playing that concept (two-gap technique) and then he's good at playing the other concepts. You usually either get one or the other. They can only play the 4-3, they can only play the 3-4. When you get the guys that can do both and do both effectively, you have to prepare for both."

"Last year, sometimes I wasn't too sure about the system it's better going into the second year," Robertson said. "There's not a position on the defensive line that I feel that I can't play. If they need me to play end, I'll play end, nose, three-technique, all that."

All that impresses Hamilton, who joked that, like fine wine, he's getting better with age.

"I can learn stuff from him," said Hamilton, who had 30 tackles in 16 games last season. "I'm not on the sidelines thinking I've got all the answers. I see some stuff he did that I never thought a defensive lineman could do, with quickness and technique."

Posted 2d 5h ago

If Pioha or someone else can spell him and otherwise supplement his skills, then I think D-Rob will be an exceptional NT for the Jets and help to anchor what I expect to be an excellent defense.

I agree with you and fully expect POUHA to come-on like gangbusters!

Archived