PRESEASON GM REPORT --Jets vs Falcons

gangreenman

For the people that will miss the game or live in an area where the game is not available, I'll be posting a basic report after the 1st qtr and a more detailed halftime report. I'll let you know during the halftime report if I'll be posting 2nd half reports (dont know if ill watch past half) in my halftime reports....

If others want to, they can post 'reports' on this thread also.

Okay little delayed on the 1st Qtr Update so its gunna be basic but here it is:

Offense:

TJ IS THE MAN....

First 11 offensive plays were all runs (2 by LWASH 8 by TJ and 1 by BSmith(double reverse)

Adrien Clarke got the start but P. Kendall came in on the 2nd drive and played with the starters(the 2 of them seem to be alternating drives)

Defense:

Run defense looking better but still needs some work up the middle...

Pass Rush was lacking and only twice did the pressure get near the QB

OLB was playing a lot of pass coverage (both BThomas and Bowens)

Pass Defense was shakey to say the least...GET REVIS IN CAMP!!

More coming in the halftime report....

HALFTIME REPORT -- JETS vs. FALCONS

Qtr 1 (More detailed)

Offense:

As mentioned before, the first 11 offensive plays for the Jets were all runs. Thomas Jones had 7 rushes for approx 20 yards and a TD.... Brad Smith had 1 on a double reverse for about 8 and LWash had 3 for 0 yards (the first two both went for negative yds and the 3rd went for 5)

Chad Pennington did not throw a single pass on his two drives.

The first pass of the game(for the Jets) was K.C. to B. Smith on the 5 yd line into the endzone... The pass was lobsided and thrown behind smith but they got bailed out with a defensive pass interference call which put the ball on the 1 and TJ took it in for the score.

The scoring drive actually started at about the 10, after a huuuuge KO return from LWash(see ST section)...

...Also, see my 1st qtr report above....

Defense:

As mentioned, the pass defense seemed to be made of swiss cheese tonight. While Im sure the absence of Miller, Smith, and Revis had a lot to do with that, I was definately not impressed with Barrett, who got picked on a lot in the 1st Qtr. (the first two completions of the game were in Barrett's direction)

Maybe part of the reason the pass defense was so bad was that the blitzes rarely ever got to the QB (no sacks and 1 hurried).

The run defense was strong off tackle (Coleman being a big help on the run), as was OLB/DE Thomas and S. Ellis, but there seemed to be a massive hole in the middle of the line still. DRob and Vilma are both undersized for their positions in the 3-4 and they play in the same area of the field, so that may be a part of it. However, Pouha wasnt exactly a big help either (he and Drob switched off with the starters)....

The Jets were also mixing things up on D in the 1st Qtr...

On some plays, Rhodes would move up to play LB,

Drob and Ellis would switch positions

LB coverage on wr3 and CB on TE

etc, etc...

ST

--Nugents improved leg strength is definately for real...both KO's into the endzone (one through the endzone for a TB)

--L. Wash had an 86 yard KO return, before he was caught FROM BEHIND??? late in the 1st giving the Jets starting position inside the 10...

---Stuckey and LWash took turns fielding punts.

Qtr 2:

This quarter was mostly 2nd and some 3rd stringers....

Offense:

Kellen Clemens started the 2nd with TJ still in the backfield (he would get 10 carries before leaving the game). Other then that, Clarke and Kendall were still rotating on drives, playing with the 2nd team OL, (AJones, W. Smith, and Nick Smith) and the 2nd team WR's (Jmac was the #1, Smith #2 and Stuckey #3)

Jmac was KC's go-to-guy, making a couple of nice receptions, including about a 35 yarder in which he was held up by the defender, but was still able to come back and squat to make the reception...

A lot of KC's passes are wobbly and he surprisingly isnt showing too much ZIP at all. (had to throw that in, just for aec...)

Defense:

Eric Hicks, Bobby Hamilton, and Kimo all switched off at DE while Pouha got most of the NT reps in the 2nd qtr... Hicks looked pretty good as did Hamilton, meaning this is another position with no outstanding talent, but a lot of depth ( also see DB...) Cody Spencer, David Harris and David Bowens took over at LB, while Poteat and Coleman took over at CB.

At CB: Coleman made a couple of nice plays, making sure his man didnt catch the ball...

At LB:

David Harris can HIT, as he did as a TE came over the middle for the reception... I think he still needs to work on his reads as does Bowens, but Im def. not worried about his tackling ability

Special Teams:

Nothing really to report...

Oh yeah, the score is NYJ 14, ATL 13

For the Jets, TJ scored on a 1 yd run and Sean Ryan scored on an 8 yd pass from Clemens...

The Falcons TD came on a 7 yd run up the middle...

Ill be watching the 2nd half and will post a final game report, so check back in an hr and a half or so....

Keep in mind most NFL coaches aren't big on blitzing all out pass rush during the preaseon. In part because it's ungentlemanly, but also because they don't want to give any team facing them in Septmber tape of what they do technique-wise to free up pass rushers.

Not pleased to have more "Barrett was burned" comments. Get Schwartz in Tannebaum's office tomorrow and hash this outonce and for all. Give him a serious vesting interest of guranteed cash in Year 6 based on All Pro or Pro Bowl teams over the next 5 years, and make it sensible for both parties. Barrett simply stinks.

FINAL REPORT--JETS VS. FALCONS

Offense:

--Kellen Clemens remained in the game until late in the 4th quarter and was the only Jets QB to throw a pass tonight. (Both Penny and Tui did play, but handed off only).

He finished the night 17 for 22, 176 yds and 3 TD's (2 to TE Sean Ryan)

--His favorite target in the 2nd half seemed to be TE Sean Ryan, who had surprisingly good hands tonight catching 2 TD passes, one of which he had to dive for.

--Chansi Stuckey also played a lot tonight, and had a very nice TD grab off of Clemens in which he outjumped the CB in the back of the endzone.

--The coaches have said how much they liked Tutt for his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, but from what I saw, he looked much better at dropping the ball out of the backfield.:shutit:

--Wallace Wright got involved, mostly as a checkdown receiver and short slant receiver.

--Frisman Jackson was mostly quiet, but made one nice play, reaching up with one hand to knock down a ball and then make the completion for about a 12 yd gain.

--Alvin Banks and Danny Ware split time in the backfield in the 2nd half, and to tell you the truth, I like Ware's game more.

--The OL held its ground tonight, and allowed only 1 sack ( i think) and that was off of a botched play.... They also got 3 RB's over 20 rushing yds, which is rather impressive i thought.

Defense:

--I like the depth at secondary...Guys like Drew Coleman and Rashad Washington are very servicable if their service is necessary.

--Andre Wadsworth finally got in in the 4th Quarter, didnt do anything though.

-- The DL also did a fairly good job tonight from what I can tell, and it seems as if we have very good depth all around on defense.

ST:

Nothing much to report on this front...

Crap, almost forgot about the score again:

FINAL: NYJ 31, ATL 16

Thats all folks!!

Keep in mind most NFL coaches aren't big on blitzing all out pass rush during the preaseon. In part because it's ungentlemanly, but also because they don't want to give any team facing them in Septmber tape of what they do technique-wise to free up pass rushers.

Not pleased to have more "Barrett was burned" comments. Get Schwartz in Tannebaum's office tomorrow and hash this outonce and for all. Give him a serious vesting interest of guranteed cash in Year 6 based on All Pro or Pro Bowl teams over the next 5 years, and make it sensible for both parties. Barrett simply stinks.

They interviewed Mike T. before the game and he said "the lines of communication are open, other then that, nothing to report"...

I hope something gets worked out before its too late for Revis to have an impact this year.

Archived