Jets news for 8/14/07

TaborJet

Calf strain keeps Jones sidelined

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Running back Thomas Jones sat out both practices Monday, with what his agent said is a strained right calf.

Drew Rosenhaus, Jones' agent, told The Associated Press that he spoke Monday to Jones, who updated him on the injury.

"He had an MRI on the right calf and it was determined that he has what is essentially a strain of the calf muscle," Rosenhaus said. "He said the doctor was vague in terms of how much time he would miss, but it would probably be a week-to-week injury."

Jones also told Rosenhaus he was "confident he would be ready" for the season opener against New England on Sept. 9.

Jones wasn't made available to reporters as per coach Eric Mangini's policy of not allowing injured players to speak to the media. He worked on his upper body on the sidelines with his right calf in a heavy wrap, although it was smaller than the one he had Sunday after the injury first occurred.

The injury happened when Jones, acquired in a trade with Chicago in March, tried to plant his right leg during a one-on-one blocking drill against linebacker Brad Kassell. Jones fell before making contact with Kassell.

Mangini and the Jets didn't make any details available about the nature of the injury or how serious it was, as is team policy. That led to speculation that it possibly was a high-ankle sprain.

Mangini noted that Jones has only missed three games in the last four seasons, and added, "Thomas has a pretty strong track record. ... He's been pretty durable."

"I can tell you that [Jones] is working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," Mangini said.

In Jones' absence, backup Leon Washington, who was the Jets' leading rusher last season with 650 yards, has gotten the bulk of the work with the first team the last two days.

-- J.P. Pelzman

Dyson not taking spot for granted

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.

When the Jets had an intrasquad scrimmage on Aug. 5, Andre Dyson worked with the second team. When they played the Falcons in their preseason opener Friday, Dyson was the starting left cornerback.

A year ago, Dyson might have wondered what was going on. But in his second year of playing in the Eric Mangini regime, Dyson understands it.

"I know how it is here," Dyson said after the Monday morning practice. "In other camps, you kind of had an idea going in. You're the starter and people are trying to take your job.

"So I could go into camp and think, 'OK, I've got to hold these guys off. I'm the starter. I'm getting the starter reps and that's how it is.' Well, here you kind of rotate. ... It's a little different. You're not used to it. But you've just got to do what you've got to do and keep on playing."

Dyson added, "I don't really worry about it. I don't even read too much into it. ... If [second-string] is where they want me to play, that's where I'll play. It's not where I want to be, obviously. I feel confident in my ability."

As he should.

While the revolving door at right cornerback spun last season, Dyson became as much of a fixture as is possible on this team on the left side, recording four interceptions and eight pass breakups. He started 15 games last season, only missing the regular-season finale because of a knee injury.

Still, he knew that didn't mean all that much heading into this training camp.

"I don't think I'm necessarily locked in at any position," Dyson said. "I don't think anyone is locked in at any position. I think it's a battle from 1 through 6 or 7 or how many [cornerbacks] they keep at this point. Everyone starts out equal here and that's how [Mangini] creates competition."

No position has embodied that philosophy more during the Mangini era than right cornerback. David Barrett, Justin Miller, Drew Coleman and Hank Poteat all started there last year, and all are back this year, although Miller currently is sidelined with a hamstring injury. The Jets also had hoped for 14th overall draft pick Darrelle Revis to compete there, but he and the organization still are embroiled in a contract impasse.

Mangini indicated that stability at both cornerback positions can be overrated, noting that perennial Pro Bowler Ty Law played with "countless corners" while with New England.

"You just get to the point where that's part of the process," the coach said.

Mangini also praised the work Dyson has done thus far in camp. Dyson was beaten deep twice for touchdowns by Justin McCareins in the intrasquad scrimmage, but Mangini indicated he should've had help on one of them. Yet, Dyson rebounded and intercepted a Kellen Clemens pass.

"[Dyson] could easily have said, 'This isn't my day.' But he responded the next time he was challenged," Mangini said.

Dyson has 21 interceptions, including four for touchdowns, during his six-year career. But he doesn't look for them.

"If you try to play out of your ability or out of the defense," he said, "and try to go search for plays, that's when you're going to give up big plays. I just try to play what the defense is and focus on that and hopefully some [good] plays happen."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

KENDALL'S SAGA STILL SIMMERS

By BRIAN LEWIS

August 14, 2007 -- The simmering feud between the Jets and Pete Kendall has more melodrama than a telenovela.

In the latest installment, the disgruntled guard took snaps for the second straight day at center, and after watching backup center Wade Smith struggle through the morning practice, it's getting easier to see why.

Smith sailed a shotgun snap over backup quarterback Kellen Clemens' head, after doing the same in Sunday's scrimmage and having a poor snap in the preseason opener.

Kendall played center on the second unit yesterday, with Smith at right guard.

Kendall has been fuming because, after he took a pay cut last year, he claims the Jets refused to stand by an agreement to re-negotiate his contract and give him a raise from $1.7 million to $2.7M. He also was vexed about losing his starting job, but at this point that has become secondary.

"I still am [mad about not starting]. I'm not getting any more reps. I'm still rotating with the first group," said Kendall.

When asked how he'd feel if they named him the opening-day starter, Kendall said: "The same way I felt in June. I think [starting] is all part and parcel of how the whole situation has been handled."

Kendall wasn't sure if his agent, Jonathan Feinsod, was in the locker room Friday to talk to the team about him, but said he'd be surprised to start the opener and assumes he'll be cut. Either way, he clearly dislikes playing center, where he filled in during 2005.

"If someone does have a deficiency at a certain position you practice it," Eric Mangini said. "That's what we're doing."

After spending last year on injured reserve, Sione Pouha has dropped 30 pounds down to a svelte 300 pounds and is running behind Dewayne Robertson at nose tackle.

"Technique in this system is everything, whether you're 500 pounds or 300," said Pouha. "I've always appreciated the game, but when something's taken from you, you realize you don't have it anymore but you'd like it back."

Mangini appreciates the slimmer Pouha.

"He has the same power and strength, but his wind is better, [his] first-step is better," the coach said. "He feels comfortable at this weight."

RB Thomas Jones isn't the only banged-up Jet: CB Drew Coleman, TE Joe Kowalewski, CB Justin Miller, S Eric Smith, OL Robert Turner and FB Stacy Tutt also are injured. S James Ihedigbo hobbled off after breaking up a Kellen Clemens pass, but returned for the evening session.

STRAIN DELAY

By BRIAN LEWIS

August 14, 2007 -- The Jets acquired Thomas Jones to fix their struggling ground game, intending to make the veteran running back the centerpiece of their rushing attack this season. But after Jones strained his right calf muscle during practice Sunday, that will put that to the test.

Jones is slated to miss Friday's preseason game against the Vikings and can only hope to be back by the Sept. 9 season opener.

"He had an MRI on the right calf and it was determined that he has what is essentially a strain of the calf muscle," Jones' Miami-based agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told the Associated Press. "He said the doctor was vague in terms of how much time he would miss, but it would probably be a week-to-week injury."

Rosenhaus said Jones was "confident he'd be ready" for the season opener against the Jets' AFC East rival Patriots, which is far more information than the tight-lipped Jets gave.

Eric Mangini sidestepped questions about Jones the way the running back usually sidesteps tacklers. He refuses to let injured players address the media and wouldn't give any hint of a timetable for the 29-year-old's return or even say what body part was injured.

"Thomas has to focus on himself and get back as quickly as possible," Chad Pennington said of Jones, who was walking around the practice field during yesterday's morning session with a slight limp, replacing Sunday's huge white wrap with a smaller black one.

He alternated between calisthenics and sitting on a stationary exercise machine working his arms while his teammates practiced, begging the question of whether the calf injury will keep him out until the opener or beyond.

"I can tell you that he's working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record. He's missed three games in I don't know how many opportunities. He's been pretty durable."

Jones has played in 61 of a possible 64 regular-season games since 2003.

"I can only tell you he'll be back as quickly as he possibly can," Mangini said. "I expect him as soon as he can go."

That was a mantra Mangini repeated doggedly, but he made a point to say that Jones won't be back on the field until he's completely ready.

"We try to always do what's best in those situations, and not force somebody back too early, to make sure they go through the whole rehab process, to be able to test him out prior to putting him back on the field so it's a good decision," Mangini said. "Everybody on the team is important."

For the second day, Leon Washington ran with the starters. At just 5-foot-8, Washington is considered a change-of-pace back, and his 650 rushing yards last year were the lowest total to lead the Jets since 1990. A lengthy injury to Jones - who nearly doubled Washington's total with 1,210 yards for the NFC champion Bears - would be a huge blow.

"I'm going to do what I need to do to give my team the best chance to win," said Washington, expected to start Friday, with undrafted rookies Alvin Banks and Danny Ware next on the depth chart, followed by veteran Tony Hollings.

brian.lewis@nypost.com

Calf keeps Jones out 1-2 weeks

BY KRISTIE ACKERT

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, August 14th 2007, 4:00 AM

amd_jets.jpg

Thomas Jones, who got hurt Sunday in practice, had an MRI yesterday that did not reveal any extensive damage.

Jets running back Thomas Jones has a strained right calf muscle and is expected to be out one to two weeks, according to a person with knowledge of the injury. Jones, who got hurt Sunday in practice, had an MRI yesterday that did not reveal any extensive damage.

He will miss Friday's preseason game against the Vikings, but the injury is not season-ending.

Eric Mangini refused to discuss the specifics of Jones' injury yesterday, saying only that Jones had hurt the "lower leg."

Though at practice, Jones did not talk to the media. Keeping with his policy of not revealing injury information, Mangini said little more.

"I can tell you that Thomas is working extremely hard and he will be back as quickly as he can," Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record. He's only missed three games in I can't tell you how many opportunities. He's pretty durable."

Drew Rosenhaus, Jones' agent, told The Associated Press that Jones had told him he was "confident he would be ready" for the Jets' opener against New England Sept. 9.

Stepping in for Jones with the first-team offense during the morning practice was second-year back Leon Washington, who last year led the team in rushing with 650 yards.

Washington is the only one left in that group and he was expected to be used as a change-of-pace back behind Jones this season.

Jones hurt the leg Sunday in a linebacker/running back drill. Jones crumpled to the ground when he planted with his right foot as he prepared to block LB Brad Kassel.

The Jets have a lot riding on that right leg healing. The Jets, 20th in the league in rushing last year, got Jones to be a steady, every-down back. The Jets traded second-round picks with the Bears to get Jones, then signed him to a four-year, $20 million deal. Jones rushed for 1,210 yards last season and 112 more in the Super Bowl but was traded because the Bears want Cedric Benson to be their main back.

Pouha's loss big gain for defensive line

Sione Pouha has turned some heads this summer. The Jets' defensive lineman redefined his body in the past year, slimming down from 325 pounds to a "stout" 300.

And he feels good. After spending all of last season on injured reserve, the 2005 second-round pick committed himself to getting in shape.

"This is the weight I feel good at. I feel like I move well at this weight," Pouha said.

"Some guys are bigger, yeah, but I think that it's all about technique at this point."

And the Jets' coaches, looking for some one to help clog gaps up front, have liked the technique and the new physique they have seen out of Pouha.

The 28-year-old out of Utah played in 14 games his rookie season and was credited with nine tackles. During the first week of training camp last year, Pouha tore the ACL in his right knee. He spent the frustrating season trying to remain part of the team.

"I went to every meeting, I answered questions," Pouha said. "I took my mental reps."

Said Eric Mangini: "He's got good size and good strength at the point of attack, and he's improved his hand placement, which is so important for that position. When you combine his strength, his leverage and his size with good hand placement, he's a tough guy to move."

Kristie Ackert

More second-team reps front & center for unhappy Kendall

Disgruntled guard Pete Kendall continued to take reps at center with the second-string offense yesterday. Kendall, who made his distaste for playing center known when he took over the role for the then-injured Kevin Mawae in 2005, also took a few reps with the first team at left guard.

Without getting specific about Kendall's role, Eric Mangini said this was one facet of building flexibility into the team. "What we're doing with (the offensive line) like all the other groups, is trying to build in flexibility," Mangini said. "During the course of the practice week, you don't have a chance to give a guy a lot of reps at a position that's not his own because you have the plays that you have to rep out with that group. During camp, you always try to build the base - should you have to go to some kind of change due to injury - so that you can draw on that experience."

It also could be a precaution as backup center Wade Smith is inexperienced and has struggled with shotgun snaps.

Mangini stressed that Kendall was not being singled out.

"This concept isn't player-specific," Mangini said when asked if he'd talked to Kendall about the role. "This concept is team-specific. That's how we approach it. That's our philosophical approach to having flexibility. We talk about that all the time - the need to constantly have the flexibility to adjust to either what you're given or what you'd like to do."

HOT STUFF: The temperature may have cooled off yesterday, but the heat was simmering on the field. LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, not known for having a fiery personality, got into a scuffle with LB Eric Barton during a team drill. It's unclear what started the altercation, but Ferguson had to be restrained by several teammates. He kept jawing at Barton, yelling at him from the huddle after the two were separated. ... Players missing practice: FB Stacy Tutt, who is out indefinitely with a left-foot injury; CB/KR Justin Miller (hamstring); CB Drew Coleman (knee/leg); S Eric Smith (leg).

Kristie Ackert and Rich Cimini

Jets' Rhodes creative about beating heat

Tom Rock

August 14, 2007

Foot feat

Kerry Rhodes has found a strange but effective way to beat the training camp heat. He's cut open the top area on each of his cleats, allowing his toes to stick out and providing a bit of air conditioning for his feet. Rhodes said it not only cools his tootsies on the hot FieldTurf but also prevents blisters. The third-year safety swears by the unorthodox method, even though it makes him look as if he signed a sneaker contract with the Salvation Army.

"That's an old Wayne Chrebet trick," Rhodes said of the former Jets receiver who showed him the technique. Rhodes took it a step further. "He didn't stick his whole toe out. I made that up. I cut it myself to make the toe peek out at you."

The bottom line

Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson showed some fire when he got tangled up with a defensive player during yesterday morning's practice. Eric Mangini does not condone fighting, but he must have liked the raw emotions flashed by the usually mellow Ferguson.

Newsday.com

Agent: Jets RB Jones strained calf

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

August 14, 2007

Although Jets coach Eric Mangini refused to elaborate on Thomas Jones' injury beyond calling it a "lower leg" affliction, Jones' agent offered good news for fans of the team and its new running back.

Drew Rosenhaus told The Associated Press that Jones has a strained right calf muscle and hopes to return in time for the season opener Sept. 9.

"He had an MRI on the right calf and it was determined that he has what is essentially a strain of the calf muscle," Rosenhaus said after speaking with Jones yesterday. "He said the doctor was vague in terms of how much time he would miss, but it would probably be a week-to-week injury."

Jones was on the practice field but not practicing for both workouts yesterday. He had his leg wrapped from above the ankle to below the knee during the morning session but was without any support or compression on the area in the evening. During the workouts, he participated in cardio and strength exercises with other injured players.

Jones was injured Sunday when, while planting himself to block linebacker Brad Kassel, his right leg failed him and he crumpled to the ground. He immediately grabbed for the back of his leg and removed his sock and shoe, leading some to speculate about a high ankle sprain. He was able to walk off under his own power Sunday - though with a limp - and spent the rest of that practice exercising with the other injured players. The limp was decidedly less pronounced yesterday.

The Jets have a policy against speaking on injuries, so when Mangini was asked about Jones at his daily news conference yesterday, he was vague, grudgingly conceding the detail of "lower leg" only late into the session.

"I can tell you that he is working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record."

The Jets' policy also prevents players who don't practice from speaking with the media, so Jones was not made available yesterday or Sunday.

Jones ran eight times in the first 12 offensive snaps of Friday's preseason opener against the Falcons. Although Mangini would not rule him out for Friday's game against the Vikings - "Really, I expect him as soon as he can go," the coach said - the update from Rosenhaus almost certainly precludes his involvement. Rosenhaus said Jones told him he was "confident he would be ready" for the opener against the Patriots.

Jones is coming off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons with the Bears, including 1,335 in 2005, and 112 yards in Super Bowl XLI. After a slow start to his career in Arizona and Tampa Bay, Jones seemed poised to continue his success as a Jet. Teammates marveled at his weight-room dedication and Mangini continually lauded his work ethic.

The Jets traded for Jones in March, swapping second-round picks with the Bears for a player they believed would resolve their woes at running back. With Curtis Martin set to retire and a company of inefficient running backs at their disposal last season, the Jets were ranked 30th in yards per carry (3.5) in the NFL. They immediately signed Jones to a four-year, $20-million contract and had a legitimate backfield threat for the first time since injuries began to slow Martin during the 2005 season.

With Jones sidelined, second-year back Leon Washington has been taking first-team reps. Rookies Alvin Banks and Danny Ware along with fourth-year player Tony Hollings have been sharing backup duties.

The Jets already were thin with experienced backs because Cedric Houston left the team on the eve of training camp, telling people he didn't have the heart to play anymore.

"With the running backs, there's been some tremendous opportunity," Mangini said. "Some guys have done well with that opportunity; some guys haven't."

Friday

Vikings at Jets

TV: Ch. 5

Radio: WEPN (1050)

LIer Adams more at ease in 2nd stint with Jets

BY TOM ROCK

tom.rock@newsday.com

August 14, 2007

A year ago, Darrell Adams was a bit star-struck. The Bay Shore resident, who played high school football at Islip, was a rookie free agent for the Jets, trying to keep his head from spinning with the overflow of information and the environments in which he was finding himself. Playing in front of friends and family at Giants Stadium, he said he was living a dream.

Adams, a defensive lineman from Villanova, was waived before the regular season, but he continued to work out and prepare for a call he hoped would come soon but knew might never come. He worked part-time at the Great South Bay YMCA and stayed in shape, and the Jets signed him to their practice squad Dec. 6.

Now Adams said he is much more comfortable being a Jet. He might not be one when the regular season starts, but he believes he has a much better chance of making the team this year.

"I'm a little more relaxed," he said. "Now this is my job. It's not so much an awe thing anymore. This is where I want to be and where I feel I should be."

Playing center no snap

Eric Mangini talked about having guard Pete Kendall taking reps at center as well as guard - a move that began Sunday and continued yesterday - as a search for flexibility. It probably has more to do with the fact that backup center Wade Smith is struggling to get the ball to the quarterbacks. Smith muffed another shotgun snap to Kellen Clemens yesterday.

In the past two days, the Jets have shuffled their second-unit line by putting Smith at right guard and rookie Jacob Bender at left guard.

Jet streams

Mangini was unhappy with Sunday's practice and let the team hear about it. "You can't let a practice slip by," he said, adding he was pleased with the focus and effort of yesterday's first practice ... S James Ihedigbo had to be helped off the field after injuring his left knee ... TE Sean Ryan, who caught two TDs in Friday's game, had an emphatic spike after catching a scoring pass from Clemens to cap the morning practice ... DT Sione Pouha, who is listed at 325 pounds, said he is playing closer to 300.

Jets' coach Mangini upbeat despite rash of injuries

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 14, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - The inclination would be to call the Jets somewhat injury-riddled recently as the list of sidelined players grows. For coach Eric Mangini, it just seems to be an opportunity to work on his team's positional flexibility.

"It definitely helps in that type of situation, but really, it helps in every situation," Mangini said. "If you have multiple injuries, someone has got to play that spot, and they need to have the ability to do that and have a comfort level at it."

Rookie safety James Ihedigbo was helped off the field late in yesterday morning's practice at Hofstra with yet another undisclosed injury. Running back Thomas Jones, fullback Stacy Tutt, defensive backs Eric Smith, Drew Coleman and Justin Miller, offensive lineman Robert Turner and tight end Joe Kowalewski were already on the sidelines, working on the exercise machines.

Ihedigbo and Turner were able to return for the evening practice.

Jones, of course, is the biggest concern after he went down early in Sunday's practice with a calf injury.

"He had an MRI on the right calf, and it was determined that he has what is essentially a strain of the calf muscle," Jones' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told The Associated Press.

Rosenhaus added that the injury is a "week-to-week" situation, but that Jones told him he was "confident he would be ready" for the regular-season opener on Sept. 9 against the Patriots.

Mangini was not willing to discuss specifics, though it seems likely Jones will miss at least Friday's preseason game against the Vikings.

"I can tell you he's working extremely hard, and he'll be back as quickly as he can," Mangini said. "Thomas has a pretty strong track record."

Still, Mangini chastised his team for a lackluster practice Sunday, though he later denied it was a cause-and-effect situation with Jones' injury.

"Of course you notice it, but at the same time, being a veteran, you just look at it and say, 'Wow, I've got to take care of my body,' " linebacker Victor Hobson said. "Our saying for the team is the expectation is for the position. If someone does go down - God forbid it is a serious injury - the next man's got to step up and play."

So with Jones out, it just meant more reps for rookies Alvin Banks and Danny Ware, as well as ex-Titan Tony Hollings. Ihedigbo had been getting reps with Smith sidelined with what is believed to be a hamstring problem.

"You just have to block it out," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "You have to play with whoever is out there, just be professional about it. (The effect is) you might get a few more reps. That's probably the extent of it."

And even without a significant injury on the offensive line, Mangini has been shuffling players around, most notably using veteran left guard Pete Kendall as a second-team center, adding to Kendall's disgruntled nature as he's embroiled in a salary dispute with the club and has demanded a trade or release.

To be fair, second-team center Wade Smith has been struggling mightily with snaps, and yesterday he mishandled another one with Kellen Clemens. The Jets can't afford that type of sloppiness in game situations.

Kendall, though, struggled in a 10-game stint as the Jets' emergency center in 2005.

"If someone does have a deficiency at a position, you need flexibility," Mangini said.

"What you do is practice it, and that's what we're doing is we're practicing it so that there aren't deficiencies. You're always limited with the amount of offensive linemen you can bring to a game, and you get one or two injuries, the whole configuration of the line changes dramatically. And if there's nothing to draw on, it's really hard to function."

So Wade Smith saw time at guard, as did sixth-rounder Jason Bender, who at 6-foot-6, 315 pounds, seems to be a better fit at tackle.

Note: The Jets signed another offensive lineman, Stanley Daniels, a 6-4, 320-pound undrafted free agent out of Washington.

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets' blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Jets like their beef lean at nose tackle

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The conventional thinking in putting together a 3-4 defense is that the perfect anchor is a space-eating, barely moveable nose tackle.

The Browns' Ted Washington, who is close to 400 pounds, the Chargers' Jamal Williams (348 pounds), the Patriots' Vince Wilfork (325 pounds), the Dolphins' Keith Traylor (340) and the Steelers' Casey Hampton (325 pounds) are among the prototypical nose tackles. They hunker down in the middle of the defense and protect the inside linebackers by commanding double-teams and rarely giving ground.

But following the trend has never been Jets coach Eric Mangini's style, and he has opted for quickness and strength in his nose tackles.

Starter Dewayne Robertson weighs 310 pounds and backup Sione Pouha comes in at 300 pounds, having dropped 25 pounds since sitting out last season following right knee surgery. Neither is the type of player that forces defenses to double-team them on every play.

As a result, Jets inside linebackers Jonathan Vilma and Eric Barton will once again have to fend off blockers to make plays -- a problem a year ago for Vilma, who had excelled in Herman Edwards' 4-3 scheme.

"It's a good weight for me to move around," Sione said yesterday between practices at Hofstra University. "As long as I still have my strength, that's all that matters, and I still have it. As long as you have your technique. Technique is pretty much everything in this system, whether you're 500 pounds or 200 pounds."

Vilma and Barton might disagree, but that's the way Mangini wants it -- even though his run defense ranked 24th in the NFL last season, yielding an average of 130 rushing yards.

"I think that at this weight, (Pouha) still has the same sort of power and strength, but his wind is better, his conditioning's better and I think his first-step quickness is better," Mangini said. "It's not one of those things where we shrink him down so much that he'll be on the runway (modeling)."

Ditto for Robertson, Mangini said.

"When you watch the tape, there's not a lot of times where he's getting knocked off (the ball)," Mangini insists. "Where he really compensates for that lack of mass is that first-step quickness. He's into the center so quickly that he gets the edge in terms of who has leverage, who has hand placement. So that quickness eliminates or offsets any lack of mass."

The Jets' ability to play a variety of fronts also helps negate the absence of a beefy run-stuffer at nose tackle. Although they play a 3-4 base defense, they can switch to a 4-3 alignment, play the "46" defense made famous by Buddy Ryan and play five-man or two-man fronts.

"We have a lot of different schemes for a lot of different situations," Pouha said.

Robertson played well last season, and, despite his weight loss, the Jets are expecting the same from Pouha this season. Vilma and Barton have adjusted their styles of play to fit their individual strengths while still playing the correct technique. The Jets hope that a second season in the defense, not the addition of a big body in the middle, will lead to their improved play.

"In this system, everybody has to find their way of playing in it," Mangini said. "That's part of the evolution, understandng not just how to play it but how you play it."

Barton said assistant defensive line coach Bryan Cox, who played inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme, has helped.

"There's always more than one way to do things," Barton said. "(Cox) told me and Jon some things that make the game a lot easier, what to look for and also some things to expect when you are in certain fronts and they're in certain offenses. It keeps you a step ahead."

And that's a good place to be if you don't have a 350-pound nose tackle as your bodyguard.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

Thanks, Tabor!

Pouha's loss big gain for defensive line

Sione Pouha has turned some heads this summer. The Jets' defensive lineman redefined his body in the past year, slimming down from 325 pounds to a "stout" 300.

And he feels good. After spending all of last season on injured reserve, the 2005 second-round pick committed himself to getting in shape.

"This is the weight I feel good at. I feel like I move well at this weight," Pouha said.

"Some guys are bigger, yeah, but I think that it's all about technique at this point."

And the Jets' coaches, looking for some one to help clog gaps up front, have liked the technique and the new physique they have seen out of Pouha.

The 28-year-old out of Utah played in 14 games his rookie season and was credited with nine tackles. During the first week of training camp last year, Pouha tore the ACL in his right knee. He spent the frustrating season trying to remain part of the team.

"I went to every meeting, I answered questions," Pouha said. "I took my mental reps."

Said Eric Mangini: "He's got good size and good strength at the point of attack, and he's improved his hand placement, which is so important for that position. When you combine his strength, his leverage and his size with good hand placement, he's a tough guy to move."

Kristie Ackert

When I saw him the first week, i knew he wasnt 325 as listed on the roster!

I figured 310-315 at the most- now they are saying he's down to 300, LOL.

He does look quicker, too.

Leon Looks Fast at Start of Second Season

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

You would be best advised not to leave your seat when Leon Washington is on the field.

Now in his second-season with the Jets, the shifty running back with turbo burners has a knack for making big plays. In the preseason opener against the Falcons, Washington, subbing for hurt Pro Bowler Justin Miller, returned a kickoff 86 yards to get his team on track.

Thanks, Tabor!

When I saw him the first week, i knew he wasnt 325 as listed on the roster!

I figured 310-315 at the most- now they are saying he's down to 300, LOL.

He does look quicker, too.

Told you. Pouha has not lost any weight. They listed him at 300 last year. He had supposedly "lost 30 lbs." This year, when you (Jetcane) said he looked leaner I figured it'd be at the same weight, but they listed him at 325. Typical pro sports weights and measures bull****. He's probably just an in shape 300 now.

Check out the thread (with Cimini cite) from 31 JUL 2006: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20639

Told you. Pouha has not lost any weight. They listed him at 300 last year. He had supposedly "lost 30 lbs." This year, when you (Jetcane) said he looked leaner I figured it'd be at the same weight, but they listed him at 325. Typical pro sports weights and measures bull****. He's probably just an in shape 300 now.

Check out the thread (with Cimini cite) from 31 JUL 2006: http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20639

He most definitely is leaner. There were quotes from mangini posted here the other day where he said what I had said- that his weight had been redistributed through increased weight training, and that he was leaner and stronger.

Also, i believe he gained weight during the off-season after his injury before he lost it when he started working with the new strwength and conditioning coach.

But he didnt look any bigger than a couple of guys i compared him to who weighed in the 310-315 range, so i knew he was not 325, as listed in the tc roster. i'll bet he's at about 310 right now.

Here's the thread with mangini's quote

http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39035

Archived