Titans take a flyer on DT Corey Simon

faba

Posted: 21 minutes ago

In need of defensive run help, Titans sign Simon

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Defensive tackle Corey Simon agreed to terms Tuesday with the Tennessee Titans and will try to resume his career after not playing in 2006.

Simon, who took a physical with the Titans a week ago, was expected to be at practice later Tuesday.

Doug Pensinger / Getty Images

"Corey brings a combination of run-stuffing size and pass-rushing ability to the defensive tackle position," general manager Mike Reinfeldt said in a statement. "Prior to last season, he has been a consistent and productive player who contributed to playoff teams and we are excited to see him get a second chance here with the Titans to prove he still has that ability."

Indianapolis released Simon on Aug. 4 after he failed his physical with the Colts at the start of training camp. He had arthroscopic knee surgery but was placed on the non-football illness-injury list Oct. 5 with an undisclosed ailment a year after signing a five-year, $30 million contract.

He was the sixth pick overall in 2000 by the Philadelphia Eagles and a Pro Bowler in 2003. He spent five seasons with Philadelphia and had 270 tackles and 32 sacks, but the Eagles released him just before the 2005 season because he refused to sign a one-year franchise tender.

If healthy, he could help a defense that ranked 30th in the NFL against the run last year, giving up 144.6 yards per game.

Posted: 21 minutes ago

In need of defensive run help, Titans sign Simon

Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Defensive tackle Corey Simon agreed to terms Tuesday with the Tennessee Titans and will try to resume his career after not playing in 2006.

Simon, who took a physical with the Titans a week ago, was expected to be at practice later Tuesday.

Doug Pensinger / Getty Images

"Corey brings a combination of run-stuffing size and pass-rushing ability to the defensive tackle position," general manager Mike Reinfeldt said in a statement. "Prior to last season, he has been a consistent and productive player who contributed to playoff teams and we are excited to see him get a second chance here with the Titans to prove he still has that ability."

Indianapolis released Simon on Aug. 4 after he failed his physical with the Colts at the start of training camp. He had arthroscopic knee surgery but was placed on the non-football illness-injury list Oct. 5 with an undisclosed ailment a year after signing a five-year, $30 million contract.

He was the sixth pick overall in 2000 by the Philadelphia Eagles and a Pro Bowler in 2003. He spent five seasons with Philadelphia and had 270 tackles and 32 sacks, but the Eagles released him just before the 2005 season because he refused to sign a one-year franchise tender.

If healthy, he could help a defense that ranked 30th in the NFL against the run last year, giving up 144.6 yards per game.

Interesting sign. If he works out, it will be a genius move for them.

Interesting sign. If he works out, it will be a genius move for them.

It's going to take more than cory simon to make that team look good.

Either way, how is it possible for Simon to be so good for the eagles, and then a year after they let him go, he's just garbage? Is it the system in Phili was so much better? i never could understand that, players just seem to hit a wall, and they are reduced to nothing.

It's going to take more than cory simon to make that team look good.

Either way, how is it possible for Simon to be so good for the eagles, and then a year after they let him go, he's just garbage? Is it the system in Phili was so much better? i never could understand that, players just seem to hit a wall, and they are reduced to nothing.

Didnt the Titans have a strong second half last year? The Jets were lucky to catch them early before they worked out the kinks and Young got on a roll.

I'm a little surprised the jets didnt bring him in for a look, but then again, the FO doesnt seem to want a big DT to clog the middle against the rush. :roll:

Didnt the Titans have a strong second half last year? The Jets were lucky to catch them early before they worked out the kinks and Young got on a roll.

I'm a little surprised the jets didnt bring him in for a look, but then again, the FO doesnt seem to want a big DT to clog the middle against the rush. :roll:

You're right that we had good timing when we played them, but i don't think they are as good as advertised.

The whole DT things is getting really old, i wish the jets could have found a way to at least address the issue. I guess they did by brining in all of those DE's, but at the same time, those were really nobody players.

I do think that the linebackers we have will be able to help out D-rob by taking on blockers. Between hobson, harris, barton, and thomas, those are 4 big guys that are pretty capable in run support.

Thats a total understatement. On Week 1 Kerry Collins started the game and was miserable. Then when Young came in for a drive, he rolled down the field and threw a bomb that got picked. Honestly, if we played them at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets lost. Plus we barely beat them via a late td from Penny to Baker

Thats a total understatement. On Week 1 Kerry Collins started the game and was miserable. Then when Young came in for a drive, he rolled down the field and threw a bomb that got picked. Honestly, if we played them at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets lost. Plus we barely beat them via a late td from Penny to Baker

You guys would have beaten the Titans easily if you played them at the end of the season.

Archived