Jets Preview-from Deadspin (thanx Jetscentral)

SoFlaJets

The ****ing Jets. Seriously. Two years ago, they were supposed to challenge the Patriots for AFC supremacy, and they finished 4-12. Last season, rebuilding, they made the playoffs. Shockingly bad, surprisingly good, but never ever great. Not in my lifetime. Not yet.

I was one of the many who picked them to go nowhere last year. Injured quarterback. Retiring running back. New head coach and GM. Sure, most Jets fans were happy to see the backside of the Herm Edwards sideshow, but Eric Mangini seemed ill-suited for the job -- a Belichick clone kicked off the muscular mothership for being out of shape. But a funny thing happened when Mangini arrived in New York. The Jets fell neatly into place. One by one, troublemakers like Ty Law and Justin McCareins were either shipped out of town or benched until they behaved. Those who remained began playing to their potential. And leaders emerged. Chad Pennington. Jonathan Vilma. Laveranues Coles. Mangini, it seemed, had inherited all of Belichick's stronger qualities (preparation, intelligence, an even temperment) and none of his weaker ones (the scary intensity, the door-knob personality, the stashed-away girlfriends). When Mangini appeared midseason on "Sesame Street" (a lovely counterpoint to the self-promoting Herm Edwards hour currently running on HBO), I knew the Jets had found their man.

But who are we kidding? The Patriots have won three Super Bowls under Belichick, and this year they look stronger than ever. And the Jets? In truth, no one has a clue. So far this preseason, the offensive has been fraught with controversy. Pennington has looked lackluster, and is clearly being challenged (though no one will admit as much) by the strong-armed Kellen Clemens. In the backfield, a similar competition is brewing between the already injured Thomas Jones, acquired in the off-season from Chicago (btw, how did the Bears win the NFC with Grossman and Jones?), and the flashy young speedster Leon Washington. But, as can only happen with the offbeat Jets, it's the offensive line that has stolen the headlines.

What the hell happened to Pete Kendall? The Jets' most reliable lineman signs a four-year contract last season, then suddenly holds out for an extra million. The last person to try that was Terrell Owens, and a few days ago Kendall met T.O.'s fate. Trading problem players is all well and good, but Kendall's sudden absence means that D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold need to come into their own right now. Like, next week. Otherwise, Pennington will be out for the season by October.

If the Jets make noise this year, it'll be the defense and special teams doing the shouting. They need some big games from the defensive line. They need Vilma and Eric Barton to have career years. They need first-round draft pick Darelle Revis (who remained unsigned for most of camp) to become a dominating cornerback as a rookie. And they need their Aussie punter Ben Graham and newly bulked-up kicker Mike Nugent to have Pro-Bowl seasons.

All of this might happen. And then again it might not. And that's the thing the Jets. They may be good. They may be bad. But over the years I've learned to be patient, so, like Pete Kendall, I'm holding out for something more. Greatness. Which means they'll probably trade me to Washington.

1:35 PM ON WED AUG 29 2007

I agree that things have to fall into place and click for the Jets to have a good season. They arent going into the season completely healthy, and we all know they have OL issues. Ironically, Pennington is among the healthy ones, and HE needs to put it together and operate the offense in spite of the holes in the OL. If he cant do it, the calls for Clemens will grow louder.

The D is still going to be bend but dont break, and will have to rely on making big plays and creating turnovers.

STs will really need to help field position, even more so than last year.

It can be done, because believe it or not, other teams have their own issues going on too.

Schemes and playcalling need to be an advantage like last year. But that is not a given, as teams may have more of a read on Schotty's tendencies. Witness the second buffalo game last year, where the team was not only outplayed, but was also clearly outcoached imo.

But like last year, the Jets should be competitive in just about every game, and the difference usually comes down to a few plays that can go either way. They have to make those plays.

I agree that things have to fall into place and click for the Jets to have a good season. They arent going into the season completely healthy, and we all know they have OL issues. Ironically, Pennington is among the healthy ones, and HE needs to put it together and operate the offense in spite of the holes in the OL. If he cant do it, the calls for Clemens will grow louder.

The D is still going to be bend but dont break, and will have to rely on making big plays and creating turnovers.

It can be done, because believe it or not, other teams have their own issues going on too.

Schemes and playcalling need to be an advantage like last year. But that is not a given, as teams may have more of a read on Schotty's tendencies. Witness the second buffalo game last year, where the team was not only outplayed, but was also clearly outcoached imo.

But like last year, the Jets should be competitive in just about every game, and the difference usually comes down to a few plays that can go either way. They have to make those plays.

I agree JC-and a couple of bounces to go our way-a couple of borderline calls need to get called the Jets way and to stay healthy in the critical spots-3/4 of the teams are so close in talent that (as I've said before) the longer I watch this game the more I am convinced that it comes down to those little things that make the biggest difference

I agree... And BTW in that 2nd Bills game, the Jets were outMcGaheed more then outplayed or outcoached imo. :)

I agree... And BTW in that 2nd Bills game, the Jets were outMcGaheed more then outplayed or outcoached imo. :)

no I agree with JC's assessment of that Buffalo game-it was almost Hackett-esque with the play calling-also that DE over D'Brick was eating his lunch.It was the only time last year where it almost seemed like they knew what we were gonna do

no I agree with JC's assessment of that Buffalo game-it was almost Hackett-esque with the play calling-also that DE over D'Brick was eating his lunch.It was the only time last year where it almost seemed like they knew what we were gonna do

Well to be fair, Pennington started that game off seeming like he was nervous and all over the place. I think the CS actually did a good job trying to calm him down and get back to the fundamentals...Its really too bad the Bills were all over that sh!t. Other then that, McGahee just completely DESTROYED our defense...

Yep. i dont always have clear recollection of games, since i watch so many of them along with a ton of college games, but i definitely remember thinking during and right after the game that the Buffalo CS seemed to know every move, almost like they had been in the room when the Jets gameplanned.

ggm- I dont disagree with you, either. Like I said, they were outplayed AND outcoached.

Archived