2009 and beyond

Barton

You're half right.

Trading for Jones, especially for the little we gave up for him, was a smart move. And it seemed, at the time, that it was made early enough in the offseason that we could consider the RB position set, and would allow the Jets to improve in other areas.

However, they clearly failed to improve the offensive line. Losing Pete Kendall and drafting Jacob Bender in round 6 showed that the Jets felt the '06 draft (Brick and Mangold) was, for the most part, sufficient. Obviously, they were wrong.

Great post JF80 and right on the money IMHO.

I think TJ is just a stopgap until LW develops into a back capable of carrying the load. By that time I also believe the hope is we have an O-line that actually lets LW use his talent. LW can run between the tackles fine but right now I don't think he can take the punishment of the full load, but I do believe his body will develop to that point within the next few years. Think Tiki, except without the fumbling problems and the irritating babbling fake persona.

If Kellen shows something, Chad could be done as a Jet.

Yep, but even if he doesn't, I think he's done. You can't just be this susceptible to injury and expect to be a started in the NFL. Palmer and Brees have one major injury each, but aside from that they start every game. Brady, Manning and Favre just start every game period. There aren't very many starting QBs in the NFL that miss large portions of every year. Only McNabb and Chad have that problem. Jury's out on Ben but until the guy missed at least another season you can't say he has an injury problem.

Imagine if we didn't have Thomas Jones.

Who would our running backs be. We know that the Jets would not have drafted one until maybe late. Either way at draft time the coaches would have to anticipate that Washington and Houston would be the rb's. By training camp we would have the weakest rb corps in the league, with leon and then who? Tutt? Banks? Ware? You woudl have to figure that they would bring in someone else to help him out (Dillon perhaps) but even then, that would be a ****ty guy who wouldn't be anything more than Kevan Barlow 2.0.

Let's just say for how the rb situation broke down for week 1, we need Jones since he is a second quality rb, and hopefully will do better after we get past some of these great defenses.

Archived