Gameday 3 Jets articles; 9/23- GO JETS!

Kentucky Jet

ANOTHER LOSS, AND IT'S WOE & 3----NY POST- Gameday

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Mike NugentSeptember 23, 2007 -- Over the previous three years, one team, the Chiefs last year, made the NFL playoffs after beginning the season 0-2.

Where does that leave the 0-2 Jets and 0-2 Dolphins when they clash today at Giants Stadium?

Desperate.

Since 1990, the year the NFL went to six playoff teams in each conference, 18 teams have started 0-2 and reached the playoffs, a paltry success rate.

How bad does it get at 0-3?

Since 1990, 85 teams have started 0-3 and three have made the playoffs: the 1992 Chargers, 1995 Lions and 1998 Bills.

You want a sliver of good news?

Eric Mangini has been part of two teams that started 0-2 and went to the playoffs: the 1998 Jets and the 2001 Patriots, who happened to win the Super Bowl that season. Mangini quietly reminded his players of that snippet earlier this week.

"He let us know about that," LB Jonathan Vilma said. "It is important to get a win, but we don't want to put the added stress of saying this is a must win. We're not in January when it's win-or-you-go-home."

WR Laveranues Coles stressed the importance of the Jets not putting too much pressure on themselves.

"If you start pressing you'll start going in the wrong direction," Coles said. "You'll start going in reverse."

Here's an inside look at what direction the Jets will go today against the Dolphins:

BEST BATTLE

Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson vs. Dolphins DE Jason Taylor. Taylor, the NFL's reigning Defensive Player of the Year, is a game-changer with his set of skills (107 career sacks, 37 forced fumbles, 7 TDs), which includes not only speed but strength and smarts. Taylor's physique is tall and lanky, but he also uses his legs to get leverage and make himself stronger in the pass rush. He arms are very long, which also creates problems. Ferguson, too, is tall and lanky and has decent quickness. He has more trouble with power rushers because he's not bulky enough.

RUSH TO JUDGEMENT

RB Thomas Jones, who's struggled to break out in his first two games as a Jet (2.9 yards per carry), could be in for a big game. The Dolphins have struggled on run defense, allowing an average of 178.5 yards per game, a robust 4.6-yard average, and three TDs. Look for the Jets to at least double their 64.5-yard rushing average and for Jones to double his season total (109 yards).

HERE'S THE KICKER

Dolphins K Jay Feely enters today's game having made 16 consecutive field goals, dating to last season with the Giants, including playoffs. In 20 career games at Giants Stadium, including 17 with the Giants and three with the Falcons, Feely is 31-of-39 on FGs and 50-of-51 on PATs. Jets K Mike Nugent had his 19-consecutive-successful FG streak ended last Sunday when he missed a 52-yarder in Baltimore.

NOT SO SPECIAL

Mike Westhoff's special teams annually are among the top ranked in the NFL. This season, however, has been a tough one. His kickoff coverage team is last in opposing average starting field position (42.5 yard line), having allowed a 108-yard return for a TD and a 61-yard return. Miami rookie Ted Ginn Jr., who's yet to break out (21.2 yard average) is potentially dangerous with his rare speed. The Jets lost their Pro Bowl returner, Justin Miller (knee), for the season. He'll be replaced by Leon Washington, who's not as explosive.

TURNOVER OR NOT TURNOVER

The Jets' defense has not forced a turnover this season, the first time since 1976 they've failed to do so in the first two games. Even though Miami QB Trent Green threw four interceptions last week, don't believe in trends. Last week's Jets' opponent, the Ravens, turned over the ball six times in their opener and not once against the Jets.

SAD SACKS

The Jets have allowed nine sacks without recording one on defense. "We're emphasizing it," Jets LB David Bowens, a former Dolphin, said. "In my experience, sometimes sacks come in bunches."

NUMBER TO KNOW

8-1. The Jets' record against Miami at Giants Stadium dating to 1997.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

CANNIZZARO'S CALL

JETS - 27

DOLPHINS - 13

The Jets are due to break out in several areas, including the running game and turning over the ball on defense. They'll get Thomas Jones going in the running game and they'll turn over Trent Green, and it'll add up to a first win of the season.

Rhodes challanges Jets defense to play better

Instead of sounding air horns and blowing smoke, the Giants' childish methods for handling their current crisis, the Jets readily admit they must improve. They pulled a James Bond in the first two games, a 007 performance that was anything but royale.

Zero takeaways.

Zero sacks.

Seven touchdowns allowed.

Kerry Rhodes intends to do something about it. The Jets face the Dolphins today in a Desperation Bowl at the Meadowlands - a pair of 0-2 teams - and Rhodes vowed to spearhead a defensive turnaround. He's their best playmaker on defense, an emerging team leader, and the oh-fers made him upset.

"I take it personally because I expect myself to make plays and help this team win," said Rhodes, who offered $100 to any teammate who created a turnover in practice. "You'll see it this week. I'm going to get the guys going. We have to make plays. We have to get the ball to the offense on a short field. It's going to be serious this week.

"(The Dolphins) are going to see a determined safety and a determined defense," Rhodes continued. "We had opportunities last game and we didn't take advantage. When the opportunities come this time, we'll take advantage."

A game-changing play could be just what the Jets need, especially early. They're still looking for their first lead, and the only other team that can say that is Herm Edwards' Chiefs. No doubt, they will get a spark from Chad Pennington's anticipated return, and the Wayne Chrebet halftime tribute should stoke the emotions of the crowd, but nothing changes the momentum like a takeaway or a drive-killing sack.

For the first time in team history, the Jets didn't record a takeaway in the first two games. They're also the only team in the NFL with no sacks, no interceptions and no fumble recoveries.

Eric Mangini emphasizes takeaways every day at practice. In fact, the coaches keep a running tote board that tracks forced fumbles, interceptions and batted passes. The Jets' scouting reports on opponents are chock full of informative tidbits, everything from which players to target to the ball-security tendencies of every player.

Does the running back protect the back of the football? Does he hold it away from his body? Does the quarterback hold the ball at chest level with both hands or does he use one hand at his waist when he's under pressure?

"We focus on the process, not just the numbers," Mangini said.

The Jets' eyes must have widened when they watched Trent Green last week in the Dolphins' 37-20 loss to the Cowboys. He committed five turnovers (four interceptions and a fumble), not what the Dolphins had in mind when they imported Green from Kansas City.

"I guess we can try to make him give us some," Rhodes said, smiling. "We need a couple."

Most fans think blitzing is the answer to every defensive problem, but that may not be the best approach against Green. In blitzing situations, his passer rating is 110.2, according to STATS, LLC. In non-blitzing situations, it's 56.3. When Green feels pressure, he usually looks for wide receiver Chris Chambers, the Jets' biggest concern.

The Jets have blitzed on nearly 50% of their defensive plays and still haven't generated much heat. In fact, they have the lowest quarterback-knockdown percentage in the league, according to STATS, LLC. Maybe they can create a bigger role for David Bowens, a productive pass rusher in six seasons with Miami. Last week, he appeared on only four defensive plays.

"I want to be in the game," Bowens said. "I feel like I can do things, but I play my role."

Basically, the Jets have been inconsistent in all three phases, even special teams, which surrendered one of the seven touchdowns. If they can't deliver a get-well performance against the Dolphins, it could spell doom.

The Jets have won five of the last six meetings, 14 of their last 18, and many of those were critical, season-saving wins. Take last season, for example: They beat the Dolphins the week after a 41-0 embarrassment in Jacksonville, one of the turning points in Mangini's first season. Miami, under rookie coach Cam Cameron, probably feels the same way.

"The need to get a win for both teams is there," defensive end Jason Taylor said, "so it adds that much fuel to an already fiery situation."

Numbers gain: 22

The number of Jets-Dolphins games decided by four points or less in the last 30 years. Only three other rivalries have produced more close games: Raiders-Broncos, Chargers-Chiefs and Redskins-Eagles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY HANK GOLA

Dolphins at Jets at Giants Stadium, 1 p.m..

The Line: Jets by 3

TV: Ch. 2 (Greg Gumbel, Dan Dierdorf)

Radio: WEPN 1050-AM, WABC 770--AM (Bob Wischusen, Marty Lyons).

Forecast: Sunny, upper 70s.

Injury Impact

TLB Zach Thomas, the heart of the Dolphins' defense, is out with a concussion. Channing Crowder, who spent much of the preseason at MLB, would move there with Derrick Pope starting on the weak side. WR Chris Chambers, the Dolphins' biggest threat, is battling a calf injury. Chad Pennington returns for the Jets after watching Kellen Clemens take the reins in Baltimore. The Jets put Pro Bowl KR/CB Justin Miller on IR (knee).

Feature Matchup

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson vs. DE/OLB Jason Taylor: Although Taylor has registered only one sack while being engulfed by the Cowboys' and Redskins' big tackles, he enjoyed pretty good success against Ferguson with two sacks last year. The Jets have allowed nine sacks already and Ferguson, who has to be bothered by the unsettled situation at left guard, has been susceptible to Taylor's hard rush. The Jets will max-protect with Pennington back there on a recently injured ankle. The Dolphins could counter by moving Taylor around, making it tough to double him. WR Chris Chambers vs. CB Darrelle Revis: Chambers is responsible for 15 of Trent Green's 47 completions and 201 of Miami's 607 total yards. Although he is playing on a sore calf, he is still the Dolphins' only legitimate playmaker and will test the Jets' rookie. Green has been making the conservative throw but if the Jets' pass rush doesn't improve, he will have time to let the big-bodied Chambers fly open downfield. The Jets need to change up coverages to bait him into mistakes.

Scout Says

"Trent Green (four INTs last week) looks a little gun-shy in the pocket, trying to avoid hits by dumping the ball off. It should be a good week for Pennington to get his play action going. The Dolphins have not defended the run well — (LB) Joey Porter looks slow and tentative and now Thomas is out. If the Jets can establish any kind of ground game, Pennington can take aim at (RCB) Travis Daniels, who has been a weak spot for the Dolphins. He'll be one-on-one with Jerricho Cotchery since the Dolphins will likely double Laveranues Coles."

Intangibles

At least an AFC East team other than the Patriots is almost guaranteed to get a win this week and, in the case of the Jets, they need one desperately just to get back into the wild-card race in a conference packed with good teams. A loss to a stumbling Dolphin team would be devastating. Both teams are struggling at 0-2 with stagnant offenses and defenses that can't get to the quarterback or make big plays. With Thomas out, however, it's the Dolphins who face more adversity.

Prediction

Jets, 17-10. Maybe they found themselves in the fourth quarter last week.

Jets rookie cornerback Revis playing like a vet

BY TOM ROCK tom.rock@newsday.com

September 23, 2007

He's supposed to be the weak link. A rookie starting at cornerback? Few things will get a quarterback's eyes or a receiver's mouth to open as wide. Yet so far, opponents have shown Darrelle Revis respect worthy of an established veteran.

Two games into his NFL career - and barely a month after showing up late to his first training camp - Revis even has a flashy nickname.

"I call him Baby Lockdown," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He's doing a good job out there. They can try him if they want."

So far they haven't. Revis has been thrown to only a handful of times, most of those underneath routes on which he's shown a knack for making precise tackles. Only once has a team tested him deep, when the Ravens sent Demitrius Williams long and Kyle Boller overthrew him. The Dolphins and receiver Chris Chambers may look to change that. Or perhaps they'll think better of it.

"I'm not really focused if I'm getting picked on or not," Revis said. "If they do, I have to be ready to play and if they don't, then I still have to do my job, as well."

With Revis manning the left side, it's left David Barrett to patrol the more active right side. Barrett, who despite some good coverage was beaten by Randy Moss a few times against the Patriots and who played decently against the Ravens, said he likes having teams go at him. "When the pressure isn't on you, that's when you relax," he said.

Barrett said he was amazed at Revis' play in the second quarter of Sunday's game, when he dropped back in coverage, spun around with his back to the quarterback, and closed on receiver Derrick Mason along the sideline.

"If the quarterback would have left it up a little more, he might have taken that one to the house," Barrett said. "That was great reaction time by him."

And one of the few public glimpses of Revis' talents. Because few teams are willing to attack him, his most amazing plays have been relegated to the practice field.

"Darrelle is doing a good job of playing disciplined defense and there are smart quarterbacks in the NFL, so when they see someone in good position, they're not going to throw it up and take their chances," safety Erik Coleman said. "He makes a lot of plays, especially in practice. He's a very athletic corner, very gifted, and has great football instincts and a great football mind. So when he makes great plays, in a way, it's expected because that's what he does every day."

Revis has also impressed his teammates with how quickly he has digested the playbook. While the coaches are still keeping things pretty simple for him, he's adding to his repertoire daily.

Revis is the first Jets rookie to start at cornerback since Ray Mickens in 1996. But has he yet to feel like a roo ...

"I never use that word," Revis said before it could be completed. "That's what the vets call me in here. But I just play. I play with a lot of confidence and I play like I've been here."

He's being treated that way by the Jets, and by their opponents.

MEET THE ENEMY

TRENT GREEN,

QUARTERBACK

He may not be known for putting up gaudy stats. But from 2001 to 2007 combined, the top four in nearly every passing category include Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Tom Brady and ... Trent Green. A wicked concussion cost him half his season last year, and a very public negotiation had him traded from the Chiefs to the Dolphins in June. So far, Green hasn't been spectacular for Miami, the fourth team of his career. In two games, he's thrown three touchdowns and four interceptions with a passer rating of 70.8. The Dolphins traded for Green because of his familiarity with rookie head coach Cam Cameron's offense, similar to the ones Green headed in Washington and Kansas City. "It's the one I've been in my whole career," he said of the system. "There's a long track record of success with this offense," he said.

LOOKING BACK

Jets 40, Dolphins 37

Oct. 23, 2000

In a game that went from change-the-channel embarrassing to can't-believe-I-missed-it unforgettable, the Jets erased a 30-7 third-quarter deficit to win the Monday Night Miracle. The Jets scored 30 points in the fourth quarter as Vinny Testaverde had 235 yards and four touchdown tosses (he had 102 yards and three interceptions in the first three quarters). The Jets took the lead on a 24-yard TD pass to Wayne Chrebet, and after Miami pulled ahead again, Jumbo Elliott caught a 3-yard scoring pass to send the game into overtime. John Hall won the remarkable game with a 40-yard field goal set up by Marcus Coleman's second interception of overtime (he fumbled back his previous pick). Many consider it the most exciting game in "Monday Night Football" history.

LOOKING AHEAD

The Jets will travel to Buffalo for another AFC East game. The Bills (0-2) face the Patriots today.

GAMEDAY NY JETS

Dolphins at Jets, 1 p.m. TV: Ch. 2Radio: WEPN (1050), WABC (770)

More articles

Copyright

Bigger game than usual for Jets, Dolphins

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 23, 2007)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Here's what wasn't uttered leading up to today's AFC East rivalry game between the Jets and Dolphins, each winless after two weeks: any notion that this is a must-win game.

"You still have to play the rest of the season, you pack it in if you do that," Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "If you start pressing, you are going to start running the wrong direction. You never start pressing because you can do nothing but hurt yourself."

OK, point taken. Still, today's game can't be seen as anything but a must-win game if the Jets hope to repeat last season's playoff berth. Only three teams - the 1992 Chargers, the 1995 Lions and the 1998 Bills - have overcome 0-3 starts to reach the postseason.

In fact, the Chiefs were the only team to overcome an 0-2 start last season and reach the playoffs.

"We are fine," said Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who had seven catches for a career-high 165 yards in last week's 20-13 loss at Baltimore. "We are 0-2 but we played two great teams (including a 38-14 loss to the Patriots in Week 1) as everyone can see and we made some huge strides."

Kickoff today at the Meadowlands is at 1 p.m. The Jets will honor retired wide receiver Wayne Chrebet with a halftime ceremony.

"I loved playing the Dolphins," said Chrebet, who had a touchdown catch in the Jets' 30-point fourth quarter of their 40-37 overtime win against Miami in the Monday Night Miracle in 2000. "When they called me to tell me they were having a day for me, I was really excited. Then when they told me it was against the Dolphins, that made it special."

Obviously, the teams have a longstanding rivalry dating to their AFL days, and last year's two chapters were especially noteworthy.

The Jets won at the Meadowlands 20-17 on Oct. 15 when the Dolphins' Olindo Mare missed a game-tying, 51-yard field goal with 33 seconds left. After the game, Dolphins defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday said the Jets weren't a particularly good team, prompting Coles to respond that he actually didn't know who Holliday was.

Then, on Christmas day in Miami, the Jets essentially clinched a playoff berth with a 13-10 win with Leon Washington taking a screen pass 64 yard to set up Mike Nugent's game-winning field goal and Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas being fined for a hit that gave Coles a concussion.

Such history might be the best thing right now for either team.

"There's no bigger way to get ready for the next week than to have the Jets coming up," Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor said. "It's obviously a big game for both teams and the rivalry is there. The need to get a win on both teams is there so it adds that much fuel to an already fiery situation."

But more than emotion must fuel the Jets. An improved running game and some playmaking on defense are necessities.

The Jets are tied for 29th in the NFL with just 64.5 rushing yards per game. The Dolphins are last with 63.5.

Defensively, the Jets have yet to record a sack or a turnover.

"It is frustrating because we work on it a lot and we practice it," Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma said. "Those are things that you have to keep harping on and keep working on and they will come. We have to keep working at it in the games and get the opportunity to make them."

The Jets' offense will receive a boost with the expected return of Chad Pennington after the quarterback did not play against the Ravens because of a sore right ankle. The Dolphins' defense, meanwhile, will be without Thomas, who suffered a concussion last week against the Cowboys and missed practice this week because of migraines.

Desperately needing a victory, even if they won't say it, the Jets will take what they can get.

"The eyes light up to play another game and to have another chance to make plays," Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said. "The plays are going to come. We had opportunities last game but we didn't take advantage. When the opportunities come this time, we will make them."

Reach Andrew Gross at apgross@lohud.com and read his Jets blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

Jets-Dolphins preview

Sunday, September 23, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

WHEN THE JETS HAVE THE BALL

QB Chad Pennington, who has won five straight starts against the Dolphins, is going against a banged-up Miami secondary. WR Jerricho Cotchery had seven catches for a career-high 165 yards against the Ravens last week. LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson squares off against Jason Taylor, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year. Miami has allowed 357 yards rushing in two games and Jets RBs Thomas Jones and Leon Washington may finally find some daylight.

WHEN THE DOLPHINS HAVE THE BALL

QB Trent Green threw four interceptions and lost a fumbled snap last week in a 37-20 loss to Dallas. The offensive line is a mess, with rookie starting C Samson Satele trying to find his way. RB Ronnie Brown (22 carries, 65 yards) hasn't gotten on track but rushed for 237 yards and a TD in two games against the Jets last season. WR Chris Chambers (15 catches, 201 yards) is among the NFL's best wideouts.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Jets' kickoff coverage team has issues. The unit yielded an NFL-record 108-yard kickoff return to the Patriots' Ellis Hobbs two weeks ago and a 61-yarder to the Ravens' Yamon Figurs last week. The Jets lost Pro Bowl KR Justin Miller (knee) for the season. Dolphins rookie returner Ted Ginn Jr. has been quiet over the first two games. PK Jay Feely is a pro. Miami gave up a 49-yard punt return to the Redskins' Patrick Crayton last week.

FOUR DOWNS

1. WILL QB CHAD PENNINGTON BOUNCE BACK?

Pennington says the cheers for Kellen Clemens when Pennington was hurt against the Patriots and calls for Clemens to replace him following the Ravens game haven't bothered him. We're not buying that. He would love to have a big game today and prove he's a winner despite not having a Brett Favre-like arm.

2. WILL THE DEFENSE GET A SACK OR TURNOVER?

The unit has neither in its first two games and it's not from a lack of trying. The Jets have blitzed everyone except superfan Fireman Ed and haven't gotten near the QB. They have come close twice on interceptions. Did the Ravens steal their defensive signals, too?

3. IS THIS THE BREAKOUT GAME FOR RB THOMAS JONES?

Jones has rushed for just 109 yards on 38 bruising carries (2.9 yards per carry) against the Patriots and Ravens. The holes have been few and small. The Dolphins, who will be without Pro Bowl LB Zach Thomas, appear to be the perfect medicine.

4. HOW WILL LT D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON

FARE VS. PRO BOWLER JASON TAYLOR?

Taylor, who has a club-record 107 career sacks, says to be patient because Ferguson will be a good one. Last season, Ferguson held steady against Taylor, yielding just one sack. Taylor, however, needs just one play to change a game. Ferguson allowed the sack against the Patriots on which Pennington was injured.

HISTORY

The Jets lead the all-time series, 43-38-1, and have won five of the past six, including a sweep last season.

ONE MORE THING

Jets DE/LB David Bowens and FB Darian Barnes, ex-Dolphins, are on the other side of this intense rivalry. "You could always tell it was Jets week in practice because there was a different air to it," said Barnes of his two seasons in Miami. Added Bowens, who spent 5 1/2 seasons as a Dolphin: "The rivalry played out like Ohio St.-Michigan."

Sunday, September 23, 2007

BY M.A. MEHTA

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- He spent the afternoon holed up in the upper reaches of Giants Stadium, crutches by his side. He relayed his thoughts through a headset, unable to stalk the sidelines like he had done every fall Sunday for 25 years.

He felt trapped.

Mike Westhoff beat bone cancer long ago, attacking it like a gunner on a punt coverage team, but this was pure agony for the Jets special teams coordinator.

He was stuck in a tiny booth, a precautionary move to ease his recovery from a delicate 5 1/2-hour operation in February that repaired a fractured left leg that has betrayed him time and again since an egg-sized malignant tumor was first discovered on his femur 20 years ago.

Westhoff has undergone eight surgeries because of the cancer. His leg is held together with titanium metal plates, screws and a cadaver bone. In the most recent procedure, doctors patched up the splintered limb again.

He took uncharacteristic breaks during training camps, stealing moments of rest to safeguard against further damage on the lower part of his leg.

After the Jets' season-opening loss to the Patriots -- that included an NFL-record 108-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by New England -- Westhoff had enough of his penthouse view, left leg be damned.

The fiery 59-year-old returned to the sidelines last week at Baltimore and will be there again when the Jets face the Dolphins today at Giants Stadium.

"I don't like it up there to be honest," Westhoff said after a recent practice at Hofstra. "You can see great. But it's just not me."

The perils of patrolling the sidelines on crutches has prompted some concern from friends and family.

It makes me nervous," said former Jets assistant special teams coach Sam Gash, who holds the same position with the Detroit Lions now. "Being on the field, you know how violent the game can be. If the action gets close, I worry. But he doesn't think about it in that way. He couldn't care less."

Westhoff, who spent 15 years as a special teams guru with the Dolphins before joining the Jets in 2001, doesn't really like to expound on his health issues, preferring to talk shop about his players or schemes or philosophies.

"People all over the world deal with these things daily," he said. "I'm no more heroic, I'm no more special than anyone else."

PAIN AND PERSEVERANCE

John Westhoff was 6 years old when he learned of the poison that had ravaged his father's body.

He was too young to understand the pain and fear that could have crippled the man he always admired. He was too young to comprehend the months of chemotherapy, why dad's hair was falling out and why -- for a while -- he didn't look like dad at all.

Mike Westhoff, who is divorced, tackled the obstacles in the same discreet and dignified manner he does today. When he scratched his eyebrow only to see it land in his hand during a coaches meeting in Miami all those years ago, Westhoff quickly left the room and vomited near a tree. He cleaned up the mess to ensure nobody would ask questions about his health.

"He's not looking for attention," his son said. "He doesn't want to be known for that, and he doesn't want to be felt sorry for for that. He'd rather you talk about a kickoff return for a touchdown from his team. He's definitely not afraid to share it, but as much as you'd think it would be a part of his everyday life, it's really not."

He has had plenty of setbacks, plates in his leg have been broken and re-broken, but he refused to abandon coaching. The game was an outlet, a chance to focus on something other than the cancer.

So Westhoff never stopped being himself, barking at players in practice, spreading his energy to his special teams units, providing some tough love when he needed to. He'd toss his metal cane every now and then when the execution wasn't just right or the guys didn't seem to get it.

Even though the cancer had taken nearly eight inches of his femur -- which necessitated the transplanted bones from the cadaver -- Westhoff was as animated as ever.

"It takes its toll, but he doesn't see it as having a choice," John Westhoff said of his father's setbacks through the years. "You have to do what you have to do. So you face it and get it done."

SPIRITED AND SUCCESSFUL

Gash could see the worried look on everyone's faces in the special teams meetings whenever Westhoff rolled into town. Gash, a fullback and special teamer with the Patriots from 1992-97, was well aware of Westhoff's tactics long before he joined the Jets staff. With Westhoff leading the way, the Dolphins enjoyed eight seasons without allowing a kickoff return for a touchdown.

"He was legendary," Gash said. "We were always extra nervous the week we played Miami."

The Jets special teams have flourished under Westhoff. The kickoff coverage and return units were ranked No. 1 in 2001-02. Westhoff coached a punt coverage unit that didn't allow a return for more than 18 yards last season. Kick returner Justin Miller -- out for the season with a knee injury suffered last week -- averaged 28.3 yards per return en route to a Pro Bowl appearance last season.

"He's been an innovator in the league for many, many years," Jets head coach Eric Mangini said. "Often you hear about the West Coast offense or the 4-6 (defense). You never really hear about the innovative ideas that guys bring to the table on special teams."

Westhoff -- voted the NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year in 2000 by his peers -- has been an integral part of the evolution of special teams play over the past two decades. Despite his health problems, he has remained an animated fixture on game days, scanning all corners of the field.

"I'd be concentrating and focused on one part (of the play), and he'd see something way off on the other side of the field," Gash remembered. "And he'd just start going crazy."

His spirited nature has endeared himself to rookies and veterans alike, a firecracker that can also make his players laugh when the time's right.

"He's the type of guy who you want to play well for," special teamer Wallace Wright said. "I go out there and bust my tail for him."

THE PRICE HE PAID

The cancer stripped him of his ultimate dream.

THE PRICE HE PAID

The cancer stripped him of his ultimate dream.

Westhoff's path to becoming an offensive coordinator or head coach in the league took a cruel detour when the sickness crept into his life. His recurring health problems likely prevented him from assuming a larger role on the sidelines though the years.

"It's a travesty that he hasn't (had the opportunity)," Gash said. "Hopefully, he will get a shot to be a head coach. He knows what pieces to put in place to make a team successful. I think he's great head coaching material still to this day."

Westhoff speaks without a trace of bitterness. Sure, he would have loved to land the Dolphins job a couple years ago before they chose Nick Saban. Sure, he would have loved to have taken over for Herman Edwards, too.

But it wasn't meant to be. He understands that.

"Twenty years ago, I was a cancer patient," said Westhoff, who was interviewed for the Jets vacancy before Mangini was hired. "The only thing it did to me was that it kept me from maybe expanding what I wanted to do and moving into a different part of coaching."

So he continues to hone the Jets special teams, teaching with a passion that never wilted. Despite the obvious physical hardships, John Westhoff doesn't worry about his father too much anymore.

"He came over to my apartment the other night and showed up on crutches," the son said, laughing at the memory. "I completely forgot that he was on them."

Staff writer Dave Hutchinson contributed to this story. M.A. Mehta may be reached at mmehta@starledger.com

For Jets, Special Teams Are More Than a Proving Ground

By KAREN CROUSE

Published: September 23, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., Sept. 21 — As soon as the ball left Mike Nugent’s foot, he knew it was one of the best kickoffs of his career. “I was like, Oh, yeah!” said Nugent, who tracked its flight into the hands of the Patriots’ Ellis Hobbs, who was standing 8 yards deep in the New England end zone in the season opener.

After recording three touchbacks in his first two seasons, Nugent made it his main priority in the off-season to improve his leg strength so his kickoffs would not land short of the goal line. All the time he spent in the weight room seemed as if it was going to pay off with his first touchback on that second-half kickoff.

“I was sure of it,” said Nugent, who was about to be reminded of the Jets’ first rule of special teams: Never assume anything.

To the surprise of many, Hobbs did not take a knee. He tucked the ball under his arm and began to run. Four players from the Jets ran around the Patriots’ four-man front and converged on Hobbs from his right. Justin McCareins had the best angle to stop him, inside the Patriots’ 10-yard line, but he was cut off by a teammate who was rushing in to help. Another Jet, David Bowens, whiffed while trying to tackle Hobbs at the 15.

Hobbs outran his last two pursuers, Erik Coleman and McCareins, to complete an N.F.L.-record 108-yard kick return en route to the Patriots’ 38-14 victory. In those frenetic 14 seconds, Nugent said, he got a sense of what it must feel like to be the tennis player Andy Roddick striking a 146-mile-an-hour serve that Roger Federer returns for a clean winner.

“What I was feeling then, is a lot like that, I imagine,” Nugent said.

Special teams are the soufflé of football. They can look really good right up until they fall, and it does not take much to upset the intricate recipe for success. Mike Westhoff has been cooking up winning strategies for more than two decades. This year, some ingredient has been missing in the team’s returns and coverage.

In the 20-13 loss at Baltimore last Sunday, the Jets gave up a 61-yard kickoff return by Yamon Figurs, which set up a Ravens field goal. After the game, Jets Coach Eric Mangini said: “We’re going to get 11 guys that are going to cover kickoffs. It doesn’t matter who it is. If you’re on our team, you’ve got a shot to be on kickoffs.”

In a game of field position, special teams can be a crutch for a sputtering offense or a struggling defense to lean on. The state of the Jets’ unit was captured the other day in a freeze-frame moment: Westhoff and the Pro Bowl kick returner Justin Miller passed each other on crutches in the halls of the team’s practice facility.

The Jets enter Sunday’s home game tied with their opponent, the Miami Dolphins, for second to last in kickoff returns in the American Football Conference. Dismiss the 108-yard return as a cosmic irregularity — a Hobbs comet, if you will — and the Jets are still allowing 34.2 yards a return while averaging 21.2 themselves.

“It’s something that’s very important,” Mangini said, “because when you have a kickoff return, they’re always based off of momentum shifts in the game.”

The Jets’ average starting position on drives after kickoffs is their 25, and it figures to be all uphill from here now that Miller is out for the season with a left knee injury.

Westhoff, who is recovering from off-season surgery on his left leg, reluctantly set up his command post in the press box for the Patriots game to avoid too much standing. He returned to the field in Week 2 so he could communicate more easily with his players.

The Jets’ second rule of special teams is to focus on Westhoff’s words and not his tone, which on occasion can peel the soles off a player’s cleats.

The Jets’ third rule of special teams is that it is a higher calling, but leave the gospel music at home.

Under Mangini, special teams are more than just a proving ground for players, the first rung on the ladder of success. Last Sunday, the defensive co-captain Jonathan Vilma graced the kick-coverage unit for the first time since his rookie season. During Friday’s practice, Laveranues Coles, a Pro Bowl receiver and an offensive co-captain, was fielding punts.

“I tell the defensive and offensive players, ‘If you get tired, you’re coming out of the defense or offense, not out of special teams,’ ” Mangini said. “Those plays are usually big plays. Those plays relate to field position, where you start or what you have to defend. It’s so important to win that battle each week.”

Stacy Tutt, a former quarterback who passed for 5,318 yards at Division I-AA Richmond, was signed by the Jets as a free agent last year, converted to a fullback and delegated to special teams for the first time in his playing career.

It was a jarring change for Tutt, who used to prepare for games when he was a quarterback by listening to gospel music, the better to relax his mind for the mental agility that the position required. “Then if my adrenaline was flowing too much, I had to settle down,” he said.

When he started playing special teams, Tutt changed his pregame music format to classic rock and rap. “I don’t feel like I can play relaxed now,” he said. “I have to listen to something that will have me running through a wall.”

In case Creed’s “My Sacrifice” doesn’t get Tutt’s pulse racing, he drinks three cups of strong coffee before every game. It is the pause that recharges, the jolt that prepares a special-teams player to be on alert for anything.

Archived