Bergen Record - Kellen ready for test

Kentucky Jet

Clemens ready for test

Friday, November 2, 2007

By ROB CELENTANO

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jerricho Cotchery knows the chemistry will come.

The Jets' wide receiver has already shown he can communicate with quarterback Kellen Clemens. Now it's simply a matter of execution.

The fact is that the duo hasn't had much game experience to work on developing that rapport. But if the Week 2 contest at Baltimore when Cotchery caught seven passes for 165 yards is any indication, that necessary bond may develop quicker than expected.

"We just communicated," Cotchery said Thursday of his success with Clemens against Baltimore. "We understood what each other was thinking. It was all about communication on the sideline. When you have that type of communication, you're asking for good things to happen."

"There's definitely a chemistry factor that a quarterback needs to have with his receivers," said Clemens, who will be making his first start since replacing Chad Pennington as the starting quarterback. "Fortunately, I threw with them all summer, a lot of training camp and various spurts through the season thus far.

GREEN MACHINE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Football writer J.P. Pelzman tackles all the behind-the-scenes stories about your New York Jets.

Visit the blog

Listen to The Record SportsCast

"Three good days of practice this week will hopefully help and then continue to grow going forward."

Jets head coach Eric Mangini mentioned that Clemens has worked with Cotchery as well as the other receivers for two years.

"Kellen has gotten a lot of reps over that time period," Mangini said. "They work together, not just during practice, but after practice. There's a nice group mentality between the quarterbacks and receivers regardless of who's throwing."

Cotchery leads the Jets in receptions (46) and yards (592) and has one TD. He will likely be the go-to player for Clemens again Sunday against Washington, as it appears likely that Laveranues Coles will be out with a concussion.

"We know the type of things that we can do on offense and we know the capabilities that we have," said Cotchery. "We know that we can move the ball. We can convert

FOOTBALL

Injury has Coles' streaks in jeopardy

Friday, November 2, 2007

By ROB CELENTANO

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Laveranues Coles missed practice for the second straight day Thursday with a concussion suffered Sunday against Buffalo. While his status remains unclear, it appears doubtful that the eight-year veteran will suit up against Washington.

"I'm going to let them make the decision this time," Coles said of the Jets' medical staff. "I tell myself now that I'm not going to fight it. Whatever decision they make is pretty much what I'm going to go with."

If Coles is unable to play Sunday, it would snap a streak of 104 games started and 107 games played in, the longest active streak among wide receivers. Coles has 42 receptions for 473 yards and a team-high six TDs.

Easy does it: All Abram Elam was trying to do was make a play. Unfortunately for the second-year free safety, he hit the wrong guy.

Elam was attempting to tackle Buffalo wide receiver Lee Evans but instead collided with Jets rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis, allowing Evans to scamper unchallenged for an 85-yard TD reception. That play came one week after Elam was called for an unnecessary roughness penalty in the fourth quarter at Cincinnati.

"You just have to know when you can be aggressive and when it's time for you to be patient," said Elam. "The tempo of this game is real fast. In order to be successful you have to understand that.

"As I look back on [the Evans TD], it was a split-second thing. Just critiquing myself, if I can take a better angle and keep my aim to hit him, that would be better."

Clemens ready for test

Friday, November 2, 2007

By ROB CELENTANO

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jerricho Cotchery knows the chemistry will come.

The Jets' wide receiver has already shown he can communicate with quarterback Kellen Clemens. Now it's simply a matter of execution.

The fact is that the duo hasn't had much game experience to work on developing that rapport. But if the Week 2 contest at Baltimore when Cotchery caught seven passes for 165 yards is any indication, that necessary bond may develop quicker than expected.

"We just communicated," Cotchery said Thursday of his success with Clemens against Baltimore. "We understood what each other was thinking. It was all about communication on the sideline. When you have that type of communication, you're asking for good things to happen."

"There's definitely a chemistry factor that a quarterback needs to have with his receivers," said Clemens, who will be making his first start since replacing Chad Pennington as the starting quarterback. "Fortunately, I threw with them all summer, a lot of training camp and various spurts through the season thus far.

I think Clemens to Cotchery could be something really special.

Archived