Coles To Return-Cimini's Blog

SoFlaJets

Martin Set for Sunday, Eager for New Life as Owner

Curtis Martin, who will be feted at halftime of Sunday's game against the Steelers, popped in today to talk about his big day. He also discussed his pursuit of ownership in the NFL.

Martin, articulate as ever, said going from player to former player/prospective owner is like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly.

"I feel like I'm the same animal," he said, "but I'm just making the transition into a different position."

The quote-starved scribes who cover the team every day miss Martin's refreshing take on things. In his place we have Thomas Jones, who rarely comes into the locker room to speak with the media. When he does show up, he acts like someone who'd rather be raking leaves.

Martin could recite the phone book and make it sound interesting. Reiterating what he said in a recent interview with the Daily News, he said he expects to be in ownership by next season.

"I'm making great progress," he said, still not revealing which team (or teams) he's interested in.

Martin is looking forward to Sunday, which will be a chance for the fans to say goodbye to the Jets' best player since Joe Namath. Martin said he expects to be "more emotional than when I played the game," but he's not a crier and doesn't think he'll get choked up.

It's fitting that the Jets are playing the Steelers, considering Martin grew up in Pittsburgh. The club gave Martin a choice of dates and he picked Pittsburgh because most of his friends and relatives are Steeler fans. That'll be a weird sight: A Jets icon with a posse of admirers that bleed black and gold.

"I'm sure they'll all be there with their Terrible Towels," he said.

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets retire Martin's number. Only three players in team history received that honor -- Namath, Don Maynard and Joe Klecko. Martin belongs in that elite company; it's only a question of whether they do it now or when he makes the Hall of Fame some day.

Funny line on the conference call today from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, 34, one of only two head coaches younger than Eric Mangini, who's 36. (The Raiders' Lane Kiffin is 31.)

"They don't give us any diaper discounts," Tomlin said.

The Colts announced today that DE Dwight Freeney will have season-ending surgery to repair a Lisfranc sprain in his left foot.

Imagine that, a team actually revealing the specifics of a major injury. Oh, the heresy!

Obviously, the Colts' forthcoming nature with regard to injuries has hurt them from a competitive standpoint the last few years.

Meanwhile, the Jets still refuse to confirm the exact nature of Jonathan Vilma's season-ending knee injury.

WR Laveranues Coles, who sat out two weeks ago with a concussion, is back practicing and should be a go for Sunday's game. Mangini said he's making "good progress."

Martin Set for Sunday, Eager for New Life as Owner

Curtis Martin, who will be feted at halftime of Sunday's game against the Steelers, popped in today to talk about his big day. He also discussed his pursuit of ownership in the NFL.

Martin, articulate as ever, said going from player to former player/prospective owner is like a caterpillar becoming a butterfly.

"I feel like I'm the same animal," he said, "but I'm just making the transition into a different position."

The quote-starved scribes who cover the team every day miss Martin's refreshing take on things. In his place we have Thomas Jones, who rarely comes into the locker room to speak with the media. When he does show up, he acts like someone who'd rather be raking leaves.

Martin could recite the phone book and make it sound interesting. Reiterating what he said in a recent interview with the Daily News, he said he expects to be in ownership by next season.

"I'm making great progress," he said, still not revealing which team (or teams) he's interested in.

Martin is looking forward to Sunday, which will be a chance for the fans to say goodbye to the Jets' best player since Joe Namath. Martin said he expects to be "more emotional than when I played the game," but he's not a crier and doesn't think he'll get choked up.

It's fitting that the Jets are playing the Steelers, considering Martin grew up in Pittsburgh. The club gave Martin a choice of dates and he picked Pittsburgh because most of his friends and relatives are Steeler fans. That'll be a weird sight: A Jets icon with a posse of admirers that bleed black and gold.

"I'm sure they'll all be there with their Terrible Towels," he said.

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets retire Martin's number. Only three players in team history received that honor -- Namath, Don Maynard and Joe Klecko. Martin belongs in that elite company; it's only a question of whether they do it now or when he makes the Hall of Fame some day.

Funny line on the conference call today from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, 34, one of only two head coaches younger than Eric Mangini, who's 36. (The Raiders' Lane Kiffin is 31.)

"They don't give us any diaper discounts," Tomlin said.

The Colts announced today that DE Dwight Freeney will have season-ending surgery to repair a Lisfranc sprain in his left foot.

Imagine that, a team actually revealing the specifics of a major injury. Oh, the heresy!

Obviously, the Colts' forthcoming nature with regard to injuries has hurt them from a competitive standpoint the last few years.

Meanwhile, the Jets still refuse to confirm the exact nature of Jonathan Vilma's season-ending knee injury.

WR Laveranues Coles, who sat out two weeks ago with a concussion, is back practicing and should be a go for Sunday's game. Mangini said he's making "good progress."

Maybe Rich Cimini should attend Mangini's boring press conferences, rather than mailing it in! I heard Mangini say it was the right knee. If he didn't mention it soon enough for Rich's deadline, Rich can always make up something derogatory write about the team and or the coaches. I'm surprised anyone on the team talks to him at all, because he certainly doesn't listen to them.

Not surprised with Coles the guy gives his heart and soul to this team. As for Curtis he deserves to have his number retired and please Jets do not give him a picture of a fly over..give him the damn fly over!

That's a cheap shot. You know very well they gave Chrebett the picture, because he could not turn his head up to watch it because of the concussions. Another reason is they only have ten minutes at Half time, this is not a pre game ceremony.

That's a cheap shot. You know very well they gave Chrebett the picture, because he could not turn his head up to watch it because of the concussions. Another reason is they only have ten minutes at Half time, this is not a pre game ceremony.

Which leads us to the question.... "Why isn't it a pre game ceremony instead? " Unless they figured that with the Jets out of the game by half time this will keep people in the stadium another 10 min. :biggrin:

Archived