Mets have deal with Castillo

faba

NEW YORK -- Second baseman Luis Castillo decided to stay with the New York Mets, reaching a preliminary agreement Sunday night on a $25 million, four-year contract, according to the Associated Press.

Castillo must pass a physical for the deal to be finalized, according to AP.

The three-time All-Star hit .296 for the Mets with 10 steals and 20 RBIs, who acquired him from Minnesota on July 30. He batted .304 with 18 RBIs for the Minnesota Twins.

Castillo also won three Gold Gloves and provided steady defense up the middle with shortstop Jose Reyes despite playing on a sore knee that limited his speed. The 32-year-old hit .316 in September, one of the few Mets who came through as the team collapsed and blew a seven-game lead.

Castillo's preliminary agreement came on the same day that two-time Cy Young Award winner Tom Glavine decided to leave the Mets and return to the Atlanta Braves, his original team. Glavine was given an $8 million, one-year contract after turning down a $13 million option to stay with New York and receiving a $3 million buyout.

On a busy weekend, the Mets also broke off talks with free-agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba. The sides had reached a preliminary agreement last week on a $14.4 million, three-year contract that was subject to a physical. This story was not subject

I liked the deal when they made it during the year. Castillo was banged up much of the year, so I think he'll be better when he gets healthy. Good #2 hitter behind Reyes and excellent glove. Nice move keeping him.

now the question is, who is going to catch? Not a big fan of LoDuca, so hopefully they can work out a deal for Ramon Hernandez. Otherwise I think LoDuca will be back.

I liked the deal when they made it during the year. Castillo was banged up much of the year, so I think he'll be better when he gets healthy. Good #2 hitter behind Reyes and excellent glove. Nice move keeping him.

now the question is, who is going to catch? Not a big fan of LoDuca, so hopefully they can work out a deal for Ramon Hernandez. Otherwise I think LoDuca will be back.

I also like Castillo at the top of the order and providing good defense.

Like we discussed last week I'd rather have LoDuca than Torrealba. I'm curious why the deal with Torrealba fell through. Anybody know any particulars?

Like we discussed last week I'd rather have LoDuca than Torrealba. I'm curious why the deal with Torrealba fell through. Anybody know any particulars?

ESPN reported that Omar was trolling JN and saw how much we disliked Torrealba and decided against the move. ;)

I'm hoping he looked past his latino backround and saw he has played over 100 games once in his career and hit a pathetic .255 last year with 81 of those games coming at Coor's field.

ESPN reported that Omar was trolling JN and saw how much we disliked Torrealba and decided against the move. ;)

I'm hoping he looked past his latino backround and saw he has played over 100 games once in his career and hit a pathetic .255 last year with 81 of those games coming at Coor's field.

The paper today is hinting that they will look to trade for another catcher- Laird or Hernandez possibly.

The paper today is hinting that they will look to trade for another catcher- Laird or Hernandez possibly.

I like Hernandez but I hear the price tag trade wise is high.

Laird would make a nice platoon with Castro as he cant hit RH pitching at all. Keep hearing Laird to Boston in a Coco Crisp trade.

Archived