NY JETS News Articles 12/ 8

Kentucky Jet

SPECIAL FORCES- NY POST

LEON, CRIBBS IN PRO BOWL BATTLE

By BART HUBBUCH

RETURN TO PARADISE: Jets running back and kick returner Leon Washington is in a race for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, with Cleveland special-teams star Joshua Cribbs a prime candidate as well.

December 8, 2007 -- With the 3-9 Jets well out of playoff contention, what happens on special teams looks like the most compelling angle to their Sunday home matchup with the Browns.

Just don't expect Jets return ace Leon Washington to be a willing participant in any drama with Cleveland counterpart Joshua Cribbs.

"The only duel that we will have is for the Jets to win the game," Washington said yesterday when asked about his potential Pro Bowl showdown with Cribbs. "I can't worry about any individual matchups or whatever people are trying to make it out to be."

Despite Washington's nonchalance, the stakes are high for the second-year running back. He and Cribbs are locked in a fierce battle to represent the AFC on special teams in Hawaii, and Pro Bowl balloting ends Thursday.

That means Sunday's matchup is the last chance for Washington and Cribbs to make their case to the league's players and coaches, whose ballots make up two-thirds of the final vote (fans have the other third).

In terms of numbers, Washington and Cribbs - a third-year former undrafted free agent - couldn't be much closer. Cribbs leads the league in kickoff-return average at 31.2 yards, and Washington is just behind him with a 30.6-yard average. On the other hand, Washington has returned a club record three kickoffs for touchdowns, and Cribbs has two runbacks for scores for the 7-5 Browns.

Unlike Washington, Cribbs is doing his best to hype the return matchup.

"I'd be a fool to say I don't see personal gain from this game," Cribbs told Cleveland reporters this week. "We have a chance to do something great on this football team, and whatever I have to do to contribute to that, whether it's outshining (Washington) or doing well individually, I will."

Washington and Cribbs know they have little chance of winning over the fans, who have bought into the Patriots' mystique by giving Wes Welker the lead in the AFC's returner voting even though Welker doesn't return kicks and is just seventh in the league in punt-return average.

Then again, Washington and Cribbs both might reach the Pro Bowl. That's because there are two special-teams slots for each conference (one for returns, one for general special-teams play), and Cribbs also excels on kick and punt coverage with a team-leading 17 tackles.

To dominate in both areas is truly a rare feat, so much so that the Browns successfully petitioned the NFL this week to put Cribbs on the player and coach ballot at both positions. Bolstering his candidacy, Cribbs earlier this week was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for November.

Even Washington marvels at Cribbs' overall mastery on special teams.

"He is a heck of a football player," Washington said. "He leads the team in special-teams tackles and leads the league in returning. He looks like a guy that enjoys and loves to play football."

But Washington, who had two rushing touchdowns last week and is starting to get more to touches on offense as well as on special teams, isn't exactly a slouch, either.

Is an all-expenses trip to Honolulu in Washington's immediate future?

"I would be telling stories if I said I have never thought about (the Pro Bowl)," he said with a smile.

WR Jerricho Cotchery, who missed last week's win over the Dolphins with a finger injury, was downgraded to doubtful yesterday after not practicing all week. The Browns downgraded ex-Giants WR Tim Carter to questionable because of an undisclosed illness.

Jets' Cotchery doubtful with finger injury; Coles questionable with sprained ankle

Dec 07, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery was listed as doubtful Friday - but not out - for New York's game against Cleveland with an injured right index finger that kept him on the sideline last week.

Cotchery, who reportedly broke the finger in practice last Monday, hasn't been seen in the locker room or on the practice field during media availability since. The Jets' injury report listed Cotchery as limited in practice Friday after he didn't participate the previous two days.

Cotchery leads the team with 54 catches for 730 yards and a touchdown.

Laveranues Coles, who played last week against Miami despite a high left ankle sprain, was listed as questionable. He was noticeably hobbled in the locker room and at practice Wednesday by the injury, which occurred early during the Jets' 19-16 overtime win against Pittsburgh on Nov. 18, but appeared to be walking easier later in the week.

Coles, known for his resiliency and ability to play through pain, had a streak of playing in 107 straight games end last month because of a concussion. After missing a week, Coles returned only to injure the ankle against the Steelers and miss the Jets' game at Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Also questionable, but expected to play Sunday were center Nick Mangold (calf), defensive lineman Dewayne Robertson (knee) and long snapper James Dearth (foot).

At least the Jets are mastering trick plays now

BY RODERICK BOONE | roderick.boone@newsday.com

December 8, 2007

Eric Mangini cracked a smile, demonstrating that the defense-oriented Jets coach does have some affection for good offense. Then again, as he talked about the Jets' sudden mastery of trick plays, he couldn't help but look at it from his usual defensive perspective.

"It kills you defensively because you may have a great scheme against what they do," Mangini said Friday. "And suddenly you get hit with one of those. It can be a real momentum-changer."

In two of the last three games, the Jets have opened the playbook, using gadget plays to surprise their opponents.

Against the Steelers, they had a nifty flea-flicker on their second play: Running back Thomas Jones took a handoff from Kellen Clemens and then pitched the ball back to Clemens, who connected with Laveranues Coles for a 56-yard reception.

Sunday's 40-13 pasting of the Dolphins featured more of the same, with the Jets running six trick plays. Three direct snaps went to Brad Smith, Leon Washington was the recipient of another and Clemens flipped two shovel passes.

"You've got two great wide receivers, a quarterback and two good running backs that you have to prepare for all week," Smith said. "And if that's something extra that you have to spend time to prepare on, I think that helps us."

The Browns feature a great playmaker in Josh Cribbs, and because of his explosiveness, opponents are forced to recognize when he runs into the huddle. The Browns try to get him the ball any way they can. "He's a dangerous, dangerous guy and they have used him," Mangini said. "And they have used him not just as the primary guy, but they use him to set up other plays, which is just as dangerous."

When Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer looks over at the Browns' sideline Sunday, he might see a bit of himself in Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski. The two coached together in San Diego for a season.

"There were plenty of times when I thought, 'Oh, that will never work' and at the same time, he would say that to me," Schottenheimer said. "I'm just happy for him and how good a job he's done with that team, and it will be fun to play against him."

Notes&quotes: Jerricho Cotchery (finger) practiced for the first time since Monday but is listed as doubtful. Coles (ankle) is questionable and will be a game-time decision ... The Jets are encouraging fans to donate a new unwrapped toy to help in the Toys for Tots program. Toys will be collected at all gates.

Sunday

Browns at Jets

4:15 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2

Radio: WEPN (1050)

December 6, 2007

David Harris honored

By Tom Rock

David Harris picked up a league-wide honor and was named Defensive Rookie of the Month for November. Pretty impressive considering that he only started playing significant snaps after Vilma was hurt in late October.

Vilma, by the way, was on the Jets sideline in Miami, still using crutches. I was surprised not to see Vilma at the Sean Taylor funeral on Monday. That doesn

Jets, Browns ready for return fight

BY ROGER RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, December 8th 2007, 4:00 AM

Antonelli/News

Leon Washington is averaging 30.6 yards on 33 kickoff returns and has brought three back for touchdowns, including a pair of 98-yarders.

Leon Washington of the Jets and Joshua Cribbs of the Browns aren't just two of the AFC's most dynamic big-play men. They are also the conference's top two kickoff returners. That means one or the other is going to get tabbed for the Pro Bowl, adding a little side competition to the Browns' visit to Giants Stadium Sunday.

It also seems to be the reason Cribbs has been chirping about how he sees the game as a chance to get the better of Washington.

"I'd be a fool to say I don't see personal gain from this game," Cribbs was quoted as saying in Cleveland news reports yesterday. "I'm just concentrating on winning. We have a chance to do something great on this football team and whatever I have to do to contribute - whether it's outshining him or doing well individually - I will."

"I don't think that surprises me," Washington said of Cribbs running his mouth. "That is the truth. Either me or him is going to be in the position to help his team out. It's exciting and it's going to be fun.

"I can't worry that it's individual matchups that people make it seem to be. I have to do whatever I have to to make this team win."

Washington is averaging 30.6 yards on 33 kickoff returns and has brought three back for touchdowns, including a pair of 98-yarders. Cribbs has averaged 31.2 yards on 50 returns and has returned two for TDs, including a 100-yarder.

Since this coaching staff took over, Jets returners have been among the best. The injured Justin Miller was a Pro Bowl kickoff returner last season. Washington would like that chance.

"There isn't always credit given to the guys who play on special teams, but if Leon got that it would be all the credit any of us could ever ask for," tight end Chris Baker said.

Cribbs will be able to have a direct impact on Washington's quest because he is also on the cover team when Cleveland kicks off and leads the Browns in special-teams tackles, something that makes Washington call him "a heck of a player." But Washington can have a bigger impact across the board.

The Jets have been using him more in their offensive sets and gadget plays. Washington got direct snaps among his 10 carries Sunday in Miami, two of which he took in for TDs. He also caught two passes in that game.

"Leon's always in our plan," offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. "To Leon's credit, we asked him to do some things he hadn't done and he filled some of ( injured wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery's) role and did a really good job with it."

Washington wondered whether fans would actually get to see him and Cribbs showcase their return talents as more and more teams are kicking the ball away from them.

"I won't be surprised at all if that happens because if you look around the league all year, long returns have been putting teams in a position to win the game," he said. "Watching (Cribbs) ... earlier in the year, he really gave his team the opportunity to win. Last week against the Cardinals, he didn't get the ball much and his team didn't win."

NO COTCH: Cotchery, who had finger surgery last week, again did not practice and was listed as doubtful. ... Laveranues Coles (ankle) again will be a game-time decision but probably will play. ... The Jets' Toys for Tots drive is tomorrow; fans are encouraged to bring new unwrapped presents for needy kids.

FOOTBALL

Oregon bragging rights on the line in Jets' game

Saturday, December 8, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The game was played seven years ago, yet after quickly searching his memory, Kellen Clemens still remembered the final score.

"They just beat us in every sense of the word," the Jets' quarterback recalled this week. "That was a good team. They were loaded with talent, obviously Derek being one of them, and they just outplayed us. What was the final score, 40-something to 20-something? 46-26, maybe?"

That's exactly right. In the 2000 Oregon Class 3A semifinals, Scappoose defeated Burns, 46-26, at Autzen Stadium on the University of Oregon campus in Eugene. Scappoose was led by current Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson, who threw for 316 yards and two touchdowns.

The two signal callers will renew their friendly rivalry Sunday when the Jets (3-9) host the Browns (7-5). The populations of those two Oregon towns would fit in Giants Stadium with plenty of room to spare.

Scappoose is a town of about 5,000 people, northwest of Portland, while Burns, with a population of about 3,000, is located in the middle of the state. And both Clemens and Anderson realize it's unusual for two small-town Oregon guys to meet again in the NFL.

"It's been really neat how this whole thing has played out," said Clemens. "We went to a football camp in California together and really got to hang out and just talk. It's really an amazing thing how two guys from small towns in Oregon can now be starting for NFL teams."

The camp that Clemens referred to so casually was no ordinary one. It was the Elite-11 quarterback camp in California, and also among the attendees were future NFL players Matt Leinart and Brodie Croyle.

"We hit it off great" at that camp, Clemens said, adding that Anderson, who played for Oregon State, "is a great guy and real easy-going. He's a good dude."

"I talked to him a couple of weeks ago before they played Pittsburgh," said Anderson, who indicated that he gave Clemens some advice about the Steelers. "We try and stay in touch when we can. ... When he goes back to Oregon, we may meet up. We have the same agent, so we meet up at golf tournaments and all of that good stuff.

"It's pretty cool," Anderson said of Sunday's meeting. "Both of us coming from small towns and Oregon is pretty neat. We went through high school playing against each other, then college and now. It probably doesn't happen a ton."

The rivalry was renewed in college, with Clemens' Oregon Ducks winning once and Anderson's Oregon State Beavers winning once. Anderson became Cleveland's starter in Week 2 and has 24 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions this season.

"It's neat to see him get the opportunity that he deserves," Clem-ens said, "and obviously he's doing his best to make the most of it."

BRIEFS: Wide receiver Laveranues Coles (ankle) was listed as questionable by the Jets. He was limited in practice Friday but appeared to be moving much better than earlier in the week, and should be able to play Sunday. Fellow wideout Jerricho Cotchery (finger) is listed as doubtful. He hadn't practiced since suffering the injury on Nov. 26, but was listed as being limited in practice today. He was not seen on the practice field during the time media members were allowed to watch.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Cotchery casts fate to a cast

by Dave Hutchinson & Jenny Vrentas

Saturday December 08, 2007, 6:00 AM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jerricho Cotchery practiced on a limited basis yesterday and the wide receiver likely will be a game-time decision tomorrow when the Jets play the Cleveland Browns at Giants Stadium.

As first reported in The Star-Ledger, the Jets were awaiting a specially designed cast for Cotchery's broken right index finger that would allow him to play. It is believed that the cast arrived yesterday and Cotchery was able to practice, although he wasn't on the field during the first 30 minutes of practice when the media are allowed to watch. He's listed as doubtful.

Cotchery, who sat out the Dolphins game after undergoing surgery on the finger early last week, definitely will return this season, contrary to published reports. If he doesn't play against the Browns, he'll almost certainly play the next week against the Patriots.

With wide receiver Laveranues Coles (high left ankle sprain) hobbled, the Jets want to make sure that either Cotchery or Coles is available tomorrow. Coles, who turned in a gutsy performance last week against Miami, was limited in practice all week and could risk further injury to his ankle if he plays again this week.

Cotchery is the Jets' leading receiver with 54 catches for 730 yards and a touchdown.

Jets coach Eric Mangini again refused to give details on Cotchery's condition yesterday.

Stacked along the right side of Kerry Rhodes' locker at the Jets' practice facility is a collection of game balls from this season. Over the past three weeks, especially, the third-year safety has done much to add to the pile, with interceptions against Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami.

"When the defense is playing better as a whole, there's more chances I can take," Rhodes said.

After the team's bye in Week 10, the Jets defense came out with a simplified playbook focusing on the packages that worked best. The Jets have had 13 sacks and forced eight turnovers in the three games since, compared with nine sacks and nine turnovers in the nine games before that.

As a result, Rhodes has been able to play more aggressively, as he did in his breakout 2006 season, when he had four interceptions and five sacks, a performance many considered Pro Bowl-worthy.

In last week's 40-13 win over Miami, Rhodes not only was effective back in coverage, but also was used up on the line. He had two tackles for a loss on run blitzes, both key third-down stops, one of which snuffed out an intended flea-flicker.

"He's a rangy guy who's got good ball skills and good instincts, and he's coupling that with his study habits," Mangini said. "There's a level of anticipation."

Rhodes' previous film study partner was linebacker Jonathan Vilma, until he was placed on injured reserve in October. Now Rhodes, safety Abram Elam and rookie cornerback Darrelle Revis crunch film at Rhodes' house Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights.

The study sessions can last as long as two hours, such as on Tuesday, when they broke down Cleveland's first- and second-down offense. The results have been worth it. When the secondary spots a familiar look, Rhodes said he can simply nod at Revis -- just as he did before his interception at Miami, when Rhodes anticipated John Beck's throw to Ted Ginn Jr.

"You can see us making plays," said Revis, who had his second career pick against the Dolphins. "We're closer to the ball, we're near it, we intercept it, we knock it down."

The Browns' Joshua Cribbs (31.2 yards per return, two TDs) and the Jets' Leon Washington (30.5 yards, three TDs) are the league's top two kick returners.

"When it comes down to it, either me or him is going to be in that position to help his team out," Washington said. "It's exciting."

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said yesterday that he was most impressed with the Jets being 10-for-18 on third downs, holding on to the ball for 35 minutes and making the trick plays work in their rout of Miami.

"When they work, they tend to look a lot better," he said.

There are a few things that we’ve missed over the past day or so.

In and Out — In addition to the move to bring on Alvin Banks at RB to replace Danny Ware, the Jets also released WR Evan Prall to sign Shaine Smith, former Hofstra player. Billed as tall (6′2″ yes!) and fast (4.62? hmm … ) he’s the right type of player for the Jets’ needs, but he is really raw.

Few Good Men — It sounds as if the Jets have been busy with the shuffling involving WRs due to both Coles and Cotch’s health. Coles might be worse off than before the Dolphins game, and Cotch hasn’t even been seen in the facility. That means that Smith & McCareins are likely the starters, while CJ Davis and Wallace Wright will see more time in spreads, leaving Ball, Clowney or Shaine Smith (likely Clowney) for special teams.

Pearls to Pigs — Chiefs fans aren’t thrilled at the idea of Pennington for a fifth rounder and think Huard could be better … do I even need to address this?

Gross has Landed – Andrew Gross is working now for the Bergen Record, and even wrote a story about Hollywood, Ironhead Abram and Baby Lockdown meeting at Rhodes’ place to go over gamefilm. I see Gross wrote some other articles on other sports, wonder how this will work with him and Pelzman …

Hollywood Spotted with Cleaver Producer – Check out ESPN’s The Hook Up video clip on the Jets’ page with a sitdown between Kerry Rhodes and Michael Imperioli.

Author: Bassett

Posted: December 7th, 2007 under Main Page.

Comments: 2

Jets - Browns Tickets From $39

Just a quick note that if you are considering going to the game this weekend, you can get tickets as cheap as $39 from TicketCity.com. My experiences with them have been excellent.

02:57AM - David Harris Named Rookie Of The Month

Friday, December 7th, 2007 by Gary Grund

Jets rookie linebacker David Harris has been named NFL defensive rookie of the month for the month of November.

Harris tallied 37 tackles with one sack in three games in November and amassed double-digit tackles in two of the three games. Against Washington on November 4, the rookie linebacker led the team with a career-high 20 tackles. On November 18 against Pittsburgh, Harris posted 11 tackles and his second sack of the season in the Jets

Archived