Poll: Grade how well the Jets fixed Offensive weaknesses?

Grade how well Jets fixed Offensive weaknesses  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Backup QB

2. 2. Starting OL & depth

3. 3. Biggest remaining OL weakness

• Interior depth
    • Carter/Mitchell
    • Nothing that jumps out
  4. 4. More Playmakers: are Williams & Corley enough?

• Yes- w/ AR coming back + OL improvement
    • Meh- worried about injuries & depth
    • No, the Offense still doesn’t have enough juice
  5. 5. How much impact will Hackett have?

• Not much, this is Rodgers show
    • Huge negative weight, will leave 5+ points on the table per game
  6. 6. Mentality/Identity

• Love the switch to more of a power game
    • I’ll miss the zone system
    • Doesn’t matter … SOJ

The offense overall is better, especially the OL and the WR.

The Jets still have Robert Saleh and Can't Hackett, so in layman's terms the players are better, the coaching is still underwhelming.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I gave Backup QB a B because while Taylor is a good backup, he is injury prone.

Solid plan at OL.  Smith a potential HR, Fashanu the smart pick.  Bonus points in getting at least 1 power back who can pick up the blitz.

Still worried about AVT injury risk.  Schweitzer is not enough.  Maybe they like a reserve more than we know.  Wouldn’t bank on it in such an important yr and would like to see a vet addition (Herbig)

Still worried about playmakers.  Only because Williams is coming off an injury and Corley is a rookie.  Hoping we bring in a proven vet on a cheap deal.  Maybe someone worthwhile gets cut.  

Hackett takes a back seat.  This is Rodger’s show and Rodger’s won back to back MVPs w/ Hacket as his OC.  That said, I’m pretty sure Hacket didn’t call the plays in GB so there will likely be some performance drag.  

Love more emphasis on power football.  Sick of seeing the pocket collapse, confused offensive linemen, not getting short yardage, and consistently getting punched in the face.  

• Upvote 3

Tyrod Taylor is great. Definitely believe in him to hold us over for a few games if needed.

Overall I'm cool with the WR room. Rodgers has elevated mediocre groups in the past, and we have a better-than-mediocre group if Mike Williams stays healthy. Obviously his health is an X factor, we can survive without him but will need him to have actual super bowl aspirations.

I love many of the OL additions, but I'm still nervous about the group as a whole and its health. Keith Carter is as big a reason for that as the players themselves - it seems he is notorious for over working them (in the players view) and causing / exacerbating injuries. Not a good combo with the metlife turf and our guys' injury history. I assume one more G/C depth piece will come in but I actually trust JD with that. 

Overall it has been a decent off season. As has been said, good QB play can cover many issues up in a franchise. Let's hope Aaron can provide that, he will make or break us more than any of the above.

• Upvote 1

It’s been pointed out, nobody runs one blocking scheme this is getting overblown 

the X factor on offense is Lazard. 

has he earned his way back into the coaches good graces? Is he committed and in shape?

is he still an unhappy time bomb the coaches can’t rely on?

his post June 1 trade cap relief is significant 

Cutting him is just not going to happen the cap impact is huge negative for no positive 

with the draft over it’s pointing to him staying and he is at OTAs   

considering his contract and his behavior/production last year and the incoming rookie class he is probably not going anywhere   If JD gets a conditional 7th in 2025 for him it would be a miracle   

IMG_8946.jpeg

IMG_8947.jpeg

IMG_8948.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

1. Backup QB:  Ours is a very average guy, who is very fragile, and has no meaningful future in this league at this point.  Adequate if we have to go 1-3 or something to back into the playoffs or the like before he inevitably gets hurt, not much good beyond that.

2. OL & Depth: Much improved, but fragile as all hell.  #1 pick backup is great, but beyond that doesn't inspire confidence.  Lets hope only one guy gets hurt this year.....

3. Biggest OL Weakness:  Starters health.  

4. Weaponz:  Wilson/Williams/Corely/Gipson + Conklin/Ruckert + Hall/Izzy/Allen/Davis should be adequate.  If Williams goes down (and he's fragile too, the recurring theme of our 2024 fixes) we're screwed at WR because Lazard is a bum who shouldn't be on the roster, and Gipson/Brownlee/Etc. are just JAG's, not starters.

5. Hackett:  Is an Albatross around our collective necks.  He's a horrible O-Co, as I said when he was hired, and he proved last year in his complete inability to O-Co anything good with his boss Rodgers.

6. Mentality/System:  Flawed question IMO, I don't think the Jets hoped-for "mentality", better started as "system", has changed one iota from what they wanted/hoped it to be last year.  We were planned to be, and are now, a run-first team with an adequate Rodgers-led ball-control, low-turnover passing game led by an elite Defense.  This year looks to be the same.

TLDR: If every single Jet from Rodgers down stays healthy, this could be a very good team in 2024.  But when was the last time we didn't have injuries all over our roster, and this year may be the most fragile roster I've seen us field in ages, with strong injury possibilities at several vital, key positions.  

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised at the comments regarding backup QB. Given our cap situation (and yes that is a big factor), who did you guys want as a backup? Maybe I'm missing something here. We weren't getting a starter to be our #2 with the money we had to pay. Bottom line, is we improved the position over what we had last year (I know that's a low bar).

I think JD did a really good job given our lack of cap space going into FA. And yes, as a trade off for not being able to pay big salaries to FAs was that we had to take on some players with an injury history/risk.

In the era of the salary cap, you can't have backups at every position that are all potential long term starters. It doesn't work that way.

I do agree that another vet WR, S and IOL are probably the biggest need at this point.

• Upvote 2

How much impact will Hackett have?  

Anyone who did not vote the above is a green colored glasses wearing, koolaid drinking, delusional Jets fan.   I hope you're right.  More power to you.  
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Anyone who did not vote the above is a green colored glasses, koolaid drinking, delusional Jets fan.   I hope you're right.  More power to you.  

One of the least creative OCs in the game.

Jets use very little of what successful modern OCs like to do.  Pre-snap motion as a prime example.

I get that AR is longer in the tooth and wants to instead respond to the Defensive looks but the overall coaching rigidity I’ve witnessed in the past few years is astonishing.

Can you imagine having a Corner like Sauce Gardner and not even trying to put him on a CeeDee Lamb when he is gutting your other DBs?  It’s like sitting passively on a great hand in poker.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

One of the least creative OCs in the game.

Jets use very little of what successful modern OCs like to do.  Pre-snap motion as a prime example.

I get that AR is longer in the tooth and wants to instead respond to the Defensive looks but the overall coaching rigidity I’ve witnessed in the past few years is astonishing.

Can you imagine having a Corner like Sauce Gardner and not even trying to put him on a CeeDee Lamb when he is gutting your other DBs?  It’s like sitting passively on a great hand in poker.  

unless i am mistaken, rodgers doesnt use re-snap motion.  at the end of the day, it's all about execution.  the offense has the advantage on every play because they know where they're going.

39 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Anyone who did not vote the above is a green colored glasses wearing, koolaid drinking, delusional Jets fan.   I hope you're right.  More power to you.  

Aaron Rodgers won MVPs with him as the OC. The key is keeping Rodgers healthy. 

When you have a cerebral QB who has a good idea of where he is going 80% of the time before the ball is snapped, the negative impact of a bad OC is greatly minimized, IMO. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, slimjasi said:

Aaron Rodgers won MVPs with him as the OC. The key is keeping Rodgers healthy. 

When you have a cerebral QB who has a good idea of where he is going 80% of the time before the ball is snapped, the negative impact of bad OC is greatly minimized, IMO. 

Jets fans have spent over 2 decades blaming the OC for nearly all of our problems on offense and NOW you tell us this?  It's almost like all of that was a waste of time....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets fans have spent over 2 decades blaming the OC for nearly all of our problems on offense and NOW you tell us this?  It's almost like all of that was a waste of time....

It's natural to want to blame the OC, but there is a reason the QBs make all the money. When your QB is good, your passing game is good and when he's not you're the New York Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's natural to want to blame the OC, but there is a reason the QBs make all the money. When your QB is good, your passing game is good and when he's not you're the New York Jets. 

When the qb is good it will really make that interior OL better too.  Especially with a pounder like allen. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see how Tyrod can get anything other than an A.  As far as backup QBs go, he's one of the best.  You're not getting guys like Kirk Cousins to come in and back up your QB, nor are you drafting a kid in the 1st.  This was probably best case scenario.

OL I'd give an A- simply because we are still lacking depth inside, but still time to resolve that.  You couldn't have addressed the OT position any better than we have.  Rock solid RT, one of the best LTs of the last decade and a high-end prospect brought in behind him.  Warren and Mitchell both give you decent depth outside of those guys.  I can live with Max as OT #5, and IMO he still has enough upside to get one more year.  Warren looked pretty damn good last year.  So good in fact that I was fine with him as our primary LT backup going into the draft(Bowers boy, yes).

Weapons are good.  Nothing crazy exciting(JJ, Higgins, Aiyuk), but Williams on paper is a high-end #2 and Corley projects as the perfect slot WR for this team.  After that, Lazard and Gipson look 1000x better as WR 4 and 5 instead of 2 and 3.  Even if those guys have to bounce up a spot because Williams gets injured, we are still in better shape than we were last year when Davis retired.  

I like the strategy at RB actually.  Take two kids you really like in the hopes that one of them is ready to step up day one and take that RB2 spot.  I'm sure we'll bring in a veteran, but it'll be a cheap guy who probably ends up on the practice squad.  With this strategy, whoever the best RB ends up being is the guy who plays.  You're not forced to play your $8M RB as RB2 because he's getting paid like it.  Everything has to be earned.

Hackett is Hackett.  He'll never be an asset, so the hope is that Rodgers stays healthy and is the defacto OC.  If he goes down there could be a struggle to get our footing, but I think we have enough talent to figure it out and right the ship.  Last year we had the worst QB in the league, zero weapons outside of Garrett, and an OL in absolute shambles.  None of those should be the case this year, regardless of how things play out(if I just jinxed myself I stg...)

One thing I'm predicting next year is the coming out party for Ruckert.  The only reason I didn't want to draft Bowers was because it would prevent Ruckert from ever being a dual threat.  Now that he's not being blocked, I could see him really blossoming as a two-way TE and an actual weapon in this offense.  

• Upvote 3

I gave backup QB a B. Tyrod is fine (when healthy he's an above average backup) but he's also injury prone. A Minshew type would have been an A, but between Tyrod and Travis (and really, just getting Zach the hell out of the building) we're in a much better spot.

I think we did an awesome job improving the OL -- we're still relying on some older guys so I only gave it a B but adding Tyron Smith, Morgan Moses, and John Simpson and rafting Olu Fashano -- it's a legit overhaul. "If they stay healthy" is a huge caveat but we should be much better.

With Fashanu I think depth is a bigger issue on the interior than at T but obviously you never know who gets injured.

Corley and Williams look like big additions but we're probably still lacking depth at WR. Pretty simply Garrett Wilson cannot go down or we're in trouble.

Hackett is awful so I said he's still a liability. Seems like he's being phased out and with a healthy Rodgers he shouldn't hurt us too much but I think he's the worst OC we've had in recent memory.

I think the move to a power running game will be good for us.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Larz said:

It’s been pointed out, nobody runs one blocking scheme this is getting overblown 

the X factor on offense is Lazard. 

has he earned his way back into the coaches good graces? Is he committed and in shape?

is he still an unhappy time bomb the coaches can’t rely on?

his post June 1 trade cap relief is significant 

Cutting him is just not going to happen the cap impact is huge negative for no positive 

with the draft over it’s pointing to him staying and he is at OTAs   

considering his contract and his behavior/production last year and the incoming rookie class he is probably not going anywhere   If JD gets a conditional 7th in 2025 for him it would be a miracle   

IMG_8946.jpeg

IMG_8947.jpeg

IMG_8948.jpeg

Lazard being the xfactor is a problem. If we could, I’d trade him. Rather a WR group of Wilson, Williams, Corley, Brownlee, Gipson and Charles.

WR will be a need again next year.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

unless i am mistaken, rodgers doesnt use re-snap motion.  at the end of the day, it's all about execution.  the offense has the advantage on every play because they know where they're going.

The problem last year was we still didn’t use it when Rodgers went down, even though it could have helped the offense create mismatches, identify defensive alignments, or simply keep a D on its heels.  You know .. things our ‘stable’ of QBs could have benefitted from.

2023: Put all eggs in AR’s basket and have no contingency plan if he gets hurt.  Same system, no adjustments.l

2024:  Support an aging former MVP who might be closer to #10 QB rank these days and who would greatly benefit from a wall in front of him, RBs who can pick up the blitz, and a balanced attack predicated on heavy play action.  All to keep him healthy and give him back the processing nano seconds he’s likely lost as a result of age.

Strategic play calling is still important and Hackett wouldn’t know his own advantage if Breece Hall’s catching ability hit him in the face.

So lots of progress this year.  Rodgers will offset some of Hacket’s weakness (LaFleur called the plays in GB) but not all. 

So no one has any concerns over a change in blocking scheme from zone to power? I remember we did this change in the past when we brought in Tony Sparano and our rushing ability greatly diminished. Player fit could've been the issue then, but how do our current players fit?

Also, isn't zone scheme easier for the running back as it's less instinctual? I love Breece, but I believe he's only played in a zone scheme college/pro. I'm not saying he cant/won't be successful in a power scheme, just pointing it out.

I don't know enough about it, but would love to hear from those of you with knowledge/experience.

Thanks,

• Upvote 1

I think people are underestimating just how much of an improvement Tyler Taylor is as a back up QB. Clearly the best we have had in recent memory. 

I also think people are underestimating how much of an inpact Aaron is going to make because of the last 2 decades plus of poor QB play. There is a whole generation of Jets fans who have NEVER seen competent QB play from someone wearing a Jets uniform and another generation that doesnt remember the last time we did and  yes it does have a carry over effect. 

The line, again, leaps and bounds above anything we have had in 8-10 years?? Our starting 5 is a good group and we actually have a 1st rd LT as a freaking back up??? When the heck has that ever happened around here. I am not thrilled with the interior depth but we cant have everything and each team has to have a weekness. JD did a good job (finally) addressing the line's obvious issues. Even if Aaron was healthy he never had a chance with that line last year. 

Injuries- This is an area that all teams will have to contend with and have a little luck with. I see the pessimism based on the injury history of some of the players we have and that is valid but there is really no way to account for something that "may" happen other than to pur good backups in place and well, they finally have. We can survive a few games without:

Arod

Williams

Smith

AVT

Tyrod

*Who am I missing*

Unless all of these players go down at the same time then we are essentially in the same boat as everyone else. No team has injury proof players as starters in every position and pro bowlers as backups for each position. Untill proven otherwise, I see a much improved and less flawed version of the much ballyhooed team from last year with most the players having another year of esperience in the same system on all 3 sides of the ball. That should allow for faster play and better results. The change in the line from a zone screen should help everyone's productivity.

My BIGGEST concern is not the health of the oline, it is the fact that these 5 guys have never played together before and the oline has to function as a unit to be effective. We have 2 free agents, 1 guy's first full year playing center in the pros, 1 guy traded from a different system and 1 guy who hasnt played the same position all year in about 3 years. lol We will go as this group goes but the potential is definitely there. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

So no one has any concerns over a change in blocking scheme from zone to power? I remember we did this change in the past when we brought in Tony Sparano and our rushing ability greatly diminished. Player fit could've been the issue then, but how do our current players fit?

Also, isn't zone scheme easier for the running back as it's less instinctual? I love Breece, but I believe he's only played in a zone scheme college/pro. I'm not saying he cant/won't be successful in a power scheme, just pointing it out.

I don't know enough about it, but would love to hear from those of you with knowledge/experience.

Thanks,

This isn't invalid. I appreciate the widespread optimism here about it but we'll have to see how it goes. I know Smith and Moses are both experienced in this type of scheme, so I don't think it's without merit. It may be a little tougher on RBs, but it's also better for OLs in general.

A key benefit is that RBs should have to spend less time behind the LOS waiting to "hit the right hole". Despite his amazing performances last year breece actually spent a lot of time waiting for plays to develop. With his home run speed, I'm not sure that running straight to certain gaps will actually benefit him, BUT it will almost certainly be good for Braelon Allen. We may see less big plays from Breece but I'm betting our YPC benefits overall.

The other thing is that the shift does not necessarily effect EVERYTHING we run. Most teams do mix up blocking schemes at least slightly. The Jets may be able to shift mid season if they really need to change the results, or run a mix depending on personnel packages. Luckily, our OL is mostly vets, and I think all of them seem sharp enough to manage this. If the power scheme isn't working it's not like we're stuck with it (although then again, this coaching staff hasn't proven especially adaptable...)

Edit: someone else made a thread on this within the last couple weeks and folks wrote a lot of useful info there. May as well look it up if you want to read more.

• Upvote 2

Its remarkable how many people think that sicne Aaron is 40 he is ready for the retirement home hahahaha He may not be as physically gifted but the man didnt suddenly develop alzheimer's and cant remember his name and will suddenly process his read slower and will be a shell of his former self hahahahahah Some of you sound like we are trotting out the older version of Hackenburg. Jesus man...the dude is a 20 year vet, has seen EVERY defense you can imagine, it despite a little older and quite a bit snarky a freaking machine on offense. That does offset some of the other issues offensively. Aaron is not going to play himself and take another silly injury, his pride wont allow it. He has never played with 1 first round receiver let alone 2 but somehow has MVP trophies. 

He is not a cure all but you better believe that our offense this year is going to look a hell of a lot closer to our defense last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

Its remarkable how many people think that sicne Aaron is 40 he is ready for the retirement home hahahaha He may not be as physically gifted but the man didnt suddenly develop alzheimer's and cant remember his name and will suddenly process his read slower and will be a shell of his former self hahahahahah Some of you sound like we are trotting out the older version of Hackenburg. Jesus man...the dude is a 20 year vet, has seen EVERY defense you can imagine, it despite a little older and quite a bit snarky a freaking machine on offense. That does offset some of the other issues offensively. Aaron is not going to play himself and take another silly injury, his pride wont allow it. He has never played with 1 first round receiver let alone 2 but somehow has MVP trophies. 

He is not a cure all but you better believe that our offense this year is going to look a hell of a lot closer to our defense last year. 

Yknow, I actually agree with you, but I have born witness to how scatter brained taking ample psychedelic drugs can make you. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous that he's rotted his brain lol

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The problem last year was we still didn’t use it when Rodgers went down, even though it could have helped the offense create mismatches, identify defensive alignments, or simply keep a D on its heels.  You know .. things our ‘stable’ of QBs could have benefitted from.

2023: Put all eggs in AR’s basket and have no contingency plan if he gets hurt.  Same system, no adjustments.l

2024:  Support an aging former MVP who might be closer to #10 QB rank these days and who would greatly benefit from a wall in front of him, RBs who can pick up the blitz, and a balanced attack predicated on heavy play action.  All to keep him healthy and give him back the processing nano seconds he’s likely lost as a result of age.

Strategic play calling is still important and Hackett wouldn’t know his own advantage if Breece Hall’s catching ability hit him in the face.

So lots of progress this year.  Rodgers will offset some of Hacket’s weakness (LaFleur called the plays in GB) but not all. 

I’m not sure this is all on Hackett as much as it is on saleh.  Saleh seemed very disinterested in what the offense was doing.  He wasn’t going to interfere and this was wrong headed thinking.  I also think ocs get any too much blame.  I know the breece hall comment from Hackett was a little strange but doesn’t mean he didn’t have any plays to take advantage of halls pass catching.  As for pre snap reads, it doesn’t matter if the wrs are dropping balls all over the place or the oline is injured or the oline players get untimely holding penalties or other mistakes.

The pieces are in place at the moment.  Should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

No idea where to drop this so I’m putting it here lol.  His mobility will probably suffer from the ankle injury but next year he should have most of it back.  

I read he’s supposed to be cleared soon.  And there’s no reason to rush anything.  But i haven’t heard anything about a permanent deal to his injury.  Low risk/high reward qb pick unlike the high risk/high reward picks of wilson and darnold. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Not very happy that the JETS didn't double dip on OL in the draft, and even in UDFA, they didn't get enough.

I’ve heard they’re very high on Carter Warren at RT. 

Otherwise based on JD’s pre draft comments I think he’s satisfied with the OL interior depth. And obviously Olu checks the box at LT depth/spot starter if/when Smith can’t go. 

Dunno if I feel the same as JD. But on paper it it’s solid unit overall and much better than last year.  

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I tend to agree with your sentiment but would note there is scientific evidence that processing speed does slow down with age (even at 40), and injury risk does go up.  

A key question is how much? 

Processing speed:  1-2 tenths of a second?  No idea but that would be my guess. 

Injury risk:  I saw a table that illustrated there are 2x as many Achilles injuries at 40 than at 30.  IF that holds for other injuries, does that mean Rodger's overall injury risk went from say 4% to 8%.  I don't believe it went from 30% to 60%.  The guy played every game for 7 of the 8 seasons before joining the Jets.  

So a strategy that helps Rodgers help himself as he ages is a good one.  Give him a better OLine (w/ depth), a cleaner pocket, a couple RBs who can pick up the blitz, and guys who can make tough catches or gain tough yards.  Add a gadget guy who can keep defenses honest even more.  I like it but I'm a strategy guy.  You cannot win without a good strategy.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I’m not sure this is all on Hackett as much as it is on saleh.  Saleh seemed very disinterested in what the offense was doing.  He wasn’t going to interfere and this was wrong headed thinking.  I also think ocs get any too much blame.  I know the breece hall comment from Hackett was a little strange but doesn’t mean he didn’t have any plays to take advantage of halls pass catching.  As for pre snap reads, it doesn’t matter if the wrs are dropping balls all over the place or the oline is injured or the oline players get untimely holding penalties or other mistakes.

The pieces are in place at the moment.  Should be interesting.

Oh, don't get me started on Saleh.  I'm with you brother!

I have a deep mistrust for salesy people.  Put up or shut up.  Even more distaste for salesy people who are incredibly rigid system guys.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1