Carl Pavano...aka "The Bust".....

NIGHT STALKER

Yanks ask Pavano to go on minor league roster

Associated Press

Updated: December 11, 2007, 10:32 PM ET

NEW YORK -- Carl Pavano was asked by the New York Yankees to accept a minor league contract and come off their big league roster.

A $39.95 million bust since signing with the Yankees as a free agent before the 2005 season, Pavano had rotator cuff surgery June 5. New York is not counting on him to be available next year.

"Right now we're just having preliminary conversations," Pavano's new agent, Tom O'Connell, said Tuesday. "Carl is contemplating possibly accepting a minor league contract if they choose to release him. At this point, neither the Yankees or Carl have come to any decisions."

Hampered by shoulder, back, elbow and rib injuries, Pavano went 5-6 in 19 starts with the Yankees, including 1-0 with a 4.76 ERA in two starts this year.

"He's having solid success right now with his rehab," O'Connell said. "I'd say there is realistic possibility he could be back on a major league mound by sometime middle of the summer."

O'Connell said a minor league deal could be harmful.

"You're giving up your major league rights under the collective bargaining agreement if you sign a minor league contract," he said. "There's a lot of advantages from being on a major league roster as opposed to being on a minor league roster."

New York has a crunch for spaces on its 40-man roster. First baseman Andy Phillips refused a minor league assignment and became a free agent, and outfielder Bronson Sardinha was designated for assignment. Their spots were taken by backup catcher Jose Molina and pitcher Andy Pettitte.

Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera and LaTroy Hawkins have agreed to deals that have yet to be finalized.

Pavano is owed $12.95 million -- $11 million next year and a $1.95 million buyout of the team's 2009 option.

Just cut ties with this turd already.

Let him go to someplace like Milwaukee where he will have no pressure and let him win his 12 to 15 games already.

I had to laugh when I read this part in the article...

O'Connell said a minor league deal could be harmful.

"You're giving up your major league rights under the collective bargaining agreement if you sign a minor league contract," he said. "There's a lot of advantages from being on a major league roster as opposed to being on a minor league roster."

Harmful? How much harmful has "The Bust" caused the Yanks by playing patient since he signed his multi-year millons of dollars contract?

The only reasons the Yankees would even want him on a Minor League deal, is for insurance purposes, although I am not sure how valid that reason is, of for the very unlikely event Carl heals, and can contribute something in late summer of 2008.

Archived