The hell? Westhoff is gone?

drago

WESTHOFF STEPS DOWN AS ASSISTANT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

article_storybottom.gif

December 31, 2007 -- Amidst victory yesterday, the Jets suffered a loss of significant magnitude.

Mike Westhoff, their special teams coach who's widely regarded as best in the business, announced yesterday that he's stepping down from his position for medical reasons.

Westhoff, who's been battling the effects of bone cancer for years, is scheduled for a complicated Feb. 6 surgery to insert a prosthetic rod from his left hip to his knee.

The graft he has in his left leg keeps fracturing and it hasn't healed properly. It's had Westhoff on crutches all season.

"It's something we knew was coming and I have to deal with it," said Westhoff, who turns 60 next week. "I have to address this and get it taken care of correctly or the problem will linger and linger and become worse. In essence, I need some time to get my life back together."

Asked if he might come back once healed, Westhoff didn't rule anything out.

"I'm not going to use the word 'retire,' " he said. "I could [retire] but I don't know. I just want to get through this and see. I know I will definitely not coach next year."

The news, delivered in a powerful team meeting yesterday morning that included a video of Westhoff put together by the team and Eric Mangini asking Westhoff to address the team, hit the players hard.

"I actually got a little teary-eyed because he's a good leader, a fiery guy, a guy who makes you laugh at practice," S Kerry Rhodes said. "His presence alone gets you going some days. He's going to be missed. It was a shock. When he said it some players got emotional, including myself."

"Oh man, I got emotional," Leon Washington, who returned a team record three kickoffs for TDs this season, said. "I'm going to miss him."

Since Westhoff joined the Jets in 2001, no NFL team has more kickoff returns for touchdowns than the 10 he's helped produce.

"A lot of opposing coaches and players are happy about this," said David Bowens.

WESTHOFF STEPS DOWN AS ASSISTANT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

article_storybottom.gif

December 31, 2007 -- Amidst victory yesterday, the Jets suffered a loss of significant magnitude.

Mike Westhoff, their special teams coach who's widely regarded as best in the business, announced yesterday that he's stepping down from his position for medical reasons.

Westhoff, who's been battling the effects of bone cancer for years, is scheduled for a complicated Feb. 6 surgery to insert a prosthetic rod from his left hip to his knee.

The graft he has in his left leg keeps fracturing and it hasn't healed properly. It's had Westhoff on crutches all season.

"It's something we knew was coming and I have to deal with it," said Westhoff, who turns 60 next week. "I have to address this and get it taken care of correctly or the problem will linger and linger and become worse. In essence, I need some time to get my life back together."

Asked if he might come back once healed, Westhoff didn't rule anything out.

"I'm not going to use the word 'retire,' " he said. "I could [retire] but I don't know. I just want to get through this and see. I know I will definitely not coach next year."

The news, delivered in a powerful team meeting yesterday morning that included a video of Westhoff put together by the team and Eric Mangini asking Westhoff to address the team, hit the players hard.

"I actually got a little teary-eyed because he's a good leader, a fiery guy, a guy who makes you laugh at practice," S Kerry Rhodes said. "His presence alone gets you going some days. He's going to be missed. It was a shock. When he said it some players got emotional, including myself."

"Oh man, I got emotional," Leon Washington, who returned a team record three kickoffs for TDs this season, said. "I'm going to miss him."

Since Westhoff joined the Jets in 2001, no NFL team has more kickoff returns for touchdowns than the 10 he's helped produce.

"A lot of opposing coaches and players are happy about this," said David Bowens.

welcome to 9 days ago. no, literally, welcome to 9 days ago!

Archived