It is Senior Bowl week and the pads are on

Kentucky Jet

Ryan-The Other Ryan, That is-On the Jets Radar?

By Mack Rosenberg

Posted on Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 02:23:42 PM EST

Before I get to anything I just wanted to make it clear that I will not be doing any extended posts this week like an analysis piece because I have mid terms so I've decided to stick to strictly news this week and next week, the off season extravaganza will continue. As we all know, the Jets were very interested in Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan earlier in the month because he had reportedly been all set to be fired by Lane Kiffin. However, Al Davis came in and asserted himself as Raiders owner, saying Ryan wasn't going anywhere.

And so for weeks now, there hasn't been much else to report on that front, until today. I was taking a quick peek at Rich Cimini's Jets blog, which really has been a godsend for me as a Jets reporter. Today's headline on Cimini's blog is 'Ryan brothers could be candidates for Jets' D.C. job.' Now the first thing that got me here is the fact that I was pretty sure that all things related to Rob Ryan becoming our next defensive coordinator were axed. Secondly, I had no idea that Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator in Baltimore who was interviewing for their head coaching job, was even on our radar. It looks like he is. Another thing that shocks me is that after one season as Giants defensive coordinator, there have already been tons of rumors circulating that Steve Spagnuolo will interview for a head coaching job. I'm sure anyone would take Rex Ryan over Spagnuolo, but if teams are willing to take Spagnuolo over Ryan, it could turn into a situation where both the Jets and Giants will be battling for Rex Ryan to become their next defensive coordinator.

Again, I love Rich Cimini and I think he does a great job reporting about the Jets. But he put my mind into a whirlwind when he mentioned the fact that it could end up to be that the Jets will be battling the Giants for Rex Ryan. Meanwhile, our defensive coordinator, Bob Sutton, is still on the team! He hasn't been fired yet, and were already discussing what will happen once he is. However, there is no denying that he is still a guy the Jets are looking to get rid of right now. This defense is a very young and talented group. I can't imagine anyone working with them better than Rex Ryan.

We'll have to wait and see.

Ryan-The Other Ryan, That is-On the Jets Radar?

By Mack Rosenberg

Posted on Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 02:23:42 PM EST

Before I get to anything I just wanted to make it clear that I will not be doing any extended posts this week like an analysis piece because I have mid terms so I've decided to stick to strictly news this week and next week, the off season extravaganza will continue. As we all know, the Jets were very interested in Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan earlier in the month because he had reportedly been all set to be fired by Lane Kiffin. However, Al Davis came in and asserted himself as Raiders owner, saying Ryan wasn't going anywhere.

And so for weeks now, there hasn't been much else to report on that front, until today. I was taking a quick peek at Rich Cimini's Jets blog, which really has been a godsend for me as a Jets reporter. Today's headline on Cimini's blog is 'Ryan brothers could be candidates for Jets' D.C. job.' Now the first thing that got me here is the fact that I was pretty sure that all things related to Rob Ryan becoming our next defensive coordinator were axed. Secondly, I had no idea that Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator in Baltimore who was interviewing for their head coaching job, was even on our radar. It looks like he is. Another thing that shocks me is that after one season as Giants defensive coordinator, there have already been tons of rumors circulating that Steve Spagnuolo will interview for a head coaching job. I'm sure anyone would take Rex Ryan over Spagnuolo, but if teams are willing to take Spagnuolo over Ryan, it could turn into a situation where both the Jets and Giants will be battling for Rex Ryan to become their next defensive coordinator.

Again, I love Rich Cimini and I think he does a great job reporting about the Jets. But he put my mind into a whirlwind when he mentioned the fact that it could end up to be that the Jets will be battling the Giants for Rex Ryan. Meanwhile, our defensive coordinator, Bob Sutton, is still on the team! He hasn't been fired yet, and were already discussing what will happen once he is. However, there is no denying that he is still a guy the Jets are looking to get rid of right now. This defense is a very young and talented group. I can't imagine anyone working with them better than Rex Ryan.

We'll have to wait and see.

Sutton's been linked to the Dolphins as a defensive position coach. I dont think he will be the Jets' DC come training camp.

Archived