Winners and Losers at the combine

NYjet10

Not sure I follow. It may work in the Jets favor to make a deal, but it doesn't work in the Jets favor to get the two firsts, a third and a sixth. They are going to "overpay" us to save a few bucks when most of the top teams would love to trade down?

I think it just means that trading up will require more compensation (than you outlined) in draft picks. Plus the contract will be higher as well.

I'd be ok with just about anything to move down. I don't see any must-get player anywhere at the top of the draft starting with #1. There's too much depth this year; or more to the point, our needs are not those that must be filled with a player that can be had at #6 but not at #36 or FA.

In general I'd be opposed to just about ANY RB with a top-10 draft pick. Half the time these prospects suck anyway & half of those that don't suck have perpetual injury concerns. But when you compound the 2-3 good prospects you don't get in the draft by moving down a bit, plus the extra starting veteran (instead of minimum-salary UDFA) on your roster, it's a total rip-off. The stars would have to align perfectly for it to work out. Sometimes it does (Tomlinson). Most of the time it doesn't.

I think it just means that trading up will require more compensation (than you outlined) in draft picks. Plus the contract will be higher as well.

I'd be ok with just about anything to move down. I don't see any must-get player anywhere at the top of the draft starting with #1. There's too much depth this year; or more to the point, our needs are not those that must be filled with a player that can be had at #6 but not at #36 or FA.

In general I'd be opposed to just about ANY RB with a top-10 draft pick. Half the time these prospects suck anyway & half of those that don't suck have perpetual injury concerns. But when you compound the 2-3 good prospects you don't get in the draft by moving down a bit, plus the extra starting veteran (instead of minimum-salary UDFA) on your roster, it's a total rip-off. The stars would have to align perfectly for it to work out. Sometimes it does (Tomlinson). Most of the time it doesn't.

You can say the same for every position.

You can say the same for every position.

RB is a particularly injury-prone position. The odds are greater that you won't end up with a healthy starter for a full season. Not to mention, there are so many teams running the ball with GREAT success who never touched a RB that high. Put the Dancing Bear on the Vikings as the starter and he goes to the pro bowl last year. Put him on the Jets to run behind Clarke, Ferguson, Moore, and Clement, and it looks like we're in dire need of a RB upgrade.

RB is a particularly injury-prone position. The odds are greater that you won't end up with a healthy starter for a full season. Not to mention, there are so many teams running the ball with GREAT success who never touched a RB that high. Put the Dancing Bear on the Vikings as the starter and he goes to the pro bowl last year. Put him on the Jets to run behind Clarke, Ferguson, Moore, and Clement, and it looks like we're in dire need of a RB upgrade.

If the Oline is the same pile of crap it was last year the Jets are going nowhere anyway.

I doubt Jones would have made the pro bowl with any team last yeart. Unlike Taylor and especially Peterson he's not a threat in the open field. Obviously with the Vikes he would have had a higher average and would ahve gottent into the open field more often but no way would he put up Adrain Peterson type #'s. I think he would had a similar year to what Chester Taylor had in 06.

I doubt Jones would have made the pro bowl with any team last yeart. Unlike Taylor and especially Peterson he's not a threat in the open field. Obviously with the Vikes he would have had a higher average and would ahve gottent into the open field more often but no way would he put up Adrain Peterson type #'s. I think he would had a similar year to what Chester Taylor had in 06.

Vikes OL played better in '07 than '06. I didn't say he'd put up AP's numbers. But I do think he'd have put up pro bowl #'s in terms of yardage. He got 1300+ yds with the Bears' merely good OL. The Vikes have a GREAT OL and their schedule wasn't exactly death for RB's (Atl, Det, KC, GB, Chi, Dal, Phi, SD, GB, Oak, NYG, Det, SF, Chi, Was, Den). His numbers would have been better than Taylor's in '06.

And for all of Adrian Peterson's missing-piece/difference-making value, the Vikings lost as many games as they won & AP tore a knee ligament. Plus Minnesota didn't seem to miss a beat with him out of the lineup. And this is someone with great talent that DOES translate to the NFL level.

Just build a line. It's easier said than done. There are dozens of guys who can succeed VERY well behind a solid line; you don't need to pick them #6.

Not sure I follow. It may work in the Jets favor to make a deal, but it doesn't work in the Jets favor to get the two firsts, a third and a sixth. They are going to "overpay" us to save a few bucks when most of the top teams would love to trade down?

I meant that the deal wont happen until the draft (ie, the sixth pick comes along and McFadden is on the board). In the heat of the moment Dallas may offer more than the exact trade-chart amount because they dont want to leave McFadden's fate in the hands of the Pats.

Also, what Sperm said: he is worth much more as the sixth pick than he is as the first pick. His contract as the sixth pick will be much less than it would be if he was the first pick.

Honestly, at this point I think he's gonna slip beyond the sixth pick.

Archived