Rogers cannot be our only NT--

drago

The guy has all the pre-requisits to play a very solid NT position, but lets face it, he's not a rookie where we don't know what we are going to get. He has serious hustle problems, weight problems, and desire to quit on his team.

A few of my friends are Lions fans and they all say the same thing, you get 2 good series out of him, and he's done for the day.

I'm all for us getting him, and think Vilma is going to do a great job in Detroit (assuming it happens), but we need to draft another NT. Weather is Ellis (i know he's small but he could do a good job at RE and a decent job at NT for a few plays every game, or the guy from Texas (red something?)

I do think we will see Vilma have one hell of a year, and join a division with the best Middle linebackers in the NFL; Urlacher, Barnett, Henderson, Vilma. If this trade does happen i look to Detroit to have a very stout defense with the speed at linebacker, Simms and Bailey being the others.

In short, i like the trade but know, without question, that we need to address NT in the draft.

The guy has all the pre-requisits to play a very solid NT position, but lets face it, he's not a rookie where we don't know what we are going to get. He has serious hustle problems, weight problems, and desire to quit on his team.

A few of my friends are Lions fans and they all say the same thing, you get 2 good series out of him, and he's done for the day.

I'm all for us getting him, and think Vilma is going to do a great job in Detroit (assuming it happens), but we need to draft another NT. Weather is Ellis (i know he's small but he could do a good job at RE and a decent job at NT for a few plays every game, or the guy from Texas (red something?)

I do think we will see Vilma have one hell of a year, and join a division with the best Middle linebackers in the NFL; Urlacher, Barnett, Henderson, Vilma. If this trade does happen i look to Detroit to have a very stout defense with the speed at linebacker, Simms and Bailey being the others.

In short, i like the trade but know, without question, that we need to address NT in the draft.

Agreed....we will draft one IMO.

At such an important position, are you willing to rely on such average to below average talent?

I don't think the Jets want to go forcing a draft pick on a NT in this weak NT draft. Unless the Tuba falls to the 3rd perhaps.

IMO Pouha was more then adequate in a rotation at the end of the season.

Started over D-Rob last few games, not that, that says much.

I understand the 09 draft will be fat with NT's if there is a need, that is the time to do it.

I don't think the Jets want to go forcing a draft pick on a NT in this weak NT draft. Unless the Tuba falls to the 3rd perhaps.

IMO Pouha was more then adequate in a rotation at the end of the season.

Started over D-Rob last few games, not that, that says much.

I understand the 09 draft will be fat with NT's if there is a need, that is the time to do it.

Sounds like the same rationale used in letting Kendall walk. "we have good enough depth behind him to make him expendible"...and that was at LG, now we are talking about THE position on defense.

The only way i liked Pouha last year was when D-rob was playing LDE at the same time. If Mangini keeps the roation like that (two DT's when one of the lesser tackles are in) then i'm ok with leaning on mosley and pouha, otherwise i'd love to see a rookie in that unit.

Sounds like the same rationale used in letting Kendall walk. "we have good enough depth behind him to make him expendible"...and that was at LG, now we are talking about THE position on defense.

The only way i liked Pouha last year was when D-rob was playing LDE at the same time. If Mangini keeps the roation like that (two DT's when one of the lesser tackles are in) then i'm ok with leaning on mosley and pouha, otherwise i'd love to see a rookie in that unit.

Not the same situation as Kendall at all. The basis of this conversation is that the Jets will sign one of two NT's that have 5 Pro Bowl appearances between them.

Last year when they traded Kendall, they had no one. That is what made that deal so bad. It wasn't that Kendall was a stud, it was that Clarke wasn't an NFL player at all.

Pouha is at the worst an adequate rotation guy to give one of these 350 pounders a break

Archived