Nerdy cap stat of the day

Sperm Edwards

Though his compensation is $830,000, Tony Richardson only counts $445,000 on the salary cap, the value of the minimum-salary of a 3rd-year player.

Special rule for veterans. The NFLPA wanted minimum salaries for veterans. The problem with that is it ended careers of players who might have otherwise garnered interest from clubs for another year or more.

Now take Richardson's situation. A someone who's been in the league since the late 19th century, he must receive the highest-level minimum veteran salary of $830,000. But in an effort to not have teams be forced into cap decisions regarding players his age (most of whom are far less productive), he only counts the minimum of a 3rd-year veteran, or $445,000.

This type of arrangement is limited to veterans on 1-year deals (with signing bonuses limited to $45K I think), if you were wondering why we only signed him for 1 year.

Net cap savings in 2008 = $385,000.

This information brought to you for free, courtesy of JetNation - the site that cares.

Though his compensation is $830,000, Tony Richardson only counts $445,000 on the salary cap, the value of the minimum-salary of a 3rd-year player.

Special rule for veterans. The NFLPA wanted minimum salaries for veterans. The problem with that is it ended careers of players who might have otherwise garnered interest from clubs for another year or more.

Now take Richardson's situation. A someone who's been in the league since the late 19th century, he must receive the highest-level minimum veteran salary of $830,000. But in an effort to not have teams be forced into cap decisions regarding players his age (most of whom are far less productive), he only counts the minimum of a 3rd-year veteran, or $445,000.

This type of arrangement is limited to veterans on 1-year deals (with signing bonuses limited to $45K I think), if you were wondering why we only signed him for 1 year.

This information brought to you for free, courtesy of JetNation - the site that cares.

Yup, the NFLPA witnessed with the cap a large trend toward teams going younger and cycling veterans out of the league. It was cutting an extremely short shelf life for the average NFL player even shorter.

So they incented teams to bring on veterans at a discount. Same thing would apply with a Troy Brown.

You may call it nerdy but as smart and I think I am (the wife has a very different view) I can't follow this cap stuff at all. Well done.

Archived