Voluntary Camp Musings

Kentucky Jet

May 15, 2008

Voluntary minicamp musings

We got to watch the Jets' third voluntary minicamp practice today [the NFL now mandates that a certain amount of these be open to the media]. It was the media's first glimpse of the Chad Pennington-Kellen Clemens QB derby. Pennington looked slightly better today, but that could've been because he was working with the first unit. The Jets held a coin flip before the first OTA [organized team activity] Monday and Chad won the flip, meaning he got the first chance to work with the first team that day.

Then Clemens worked with the first team Tuesday and Pennington was back with the starters today. [There was no OTA yesterday.] Pennington admitted that he and his agent discussed a possible trade with the Jets' front office in February, but nothing came of it. He said this is the 'best place' for him and is looking forward to the competition. Both he and Clemens said all the right things afterward. I'll have more on that in Friday's story in The Record.

TE Bubba Franks ran with the first team because disgruntled Chris Baker [contract dispute] isn't here. Franks looked good catching passes, especially in the red zone. His blocking wasn't great, but somebody told me he blocked well in Green Bay last year, so we'll see.

WR Laveranues Coles indicated he was satisfied with the compromise he and the team reached on his contract--at least for now. Coles is owed $11 million over the next two seasons, and the club took the unusual step of guaranteeing the money. But Coles suggested he might re-open those talks after this season. Stay tuned.

NT Kris Jenkins is 360 pounds, according to Eric Mangini. 'He makes 360 look good,' Mangini said. 'I wish I could say the same.' Indeed, Jenkins does look good weight-wise and carries 360 well.

OTA injury report: CB Andre Woolfolk and S Artrell Hawkins, both 'street' free agents, sat out with undisclosed injuries. Ouch. Tough to make the team when you're hurt, so they're already at a disadvantage.

P Ben Graham looked pretty good today, but I noticed WR-QB Brad Smith holding for some FG attempts, not just with free agent Mark Myers, but with incumbent Mike Nugent. Obviously the Jets want to get some depth at holder in case Graham loses the punter competition to Jeremy Kapinos.

May 15, 2008 at 12:32 PM | Permalink

May 15, 2008Pennington admitted that he and his agent discussed a possible trade with the Jets' front office in February, but nothing came of it.

And so I just said in another thread....

Interesting, though. I think he would've gone if he had a real opportunity to start or make more money.

I noticed WR-QB Brad Smith holding for some FG attempts, not just with free agent Mark Myers, but with incumbent Mike Nugent. Obviously the Jets want to get some depth at holder in case Graham loses the punter competition to Jeremy Kapinos.

I'd like to see Smith get this job. I like the threat of a fake always on the field.

And so I just said in another thread....

Interesting, though. I think he would've gone if he had a real opportunity to start or make more money.

I'd like to see Smith get this job. I like the threat of a fake always on the field.

Bingo.

Archived